Oyster Reef Golf Course

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Green (W) 72 5288 yards 71.1 120

Location is convenient to the city near the airport at a resort   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers water hazards narrow fairways   Great for drinks

"Lots of sand"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

Fairways and greens in good shape. More open that it appears on the card. Lots of sand on corners of dog legs and short of the greens, bring a beach chair! Enjoyed our round mid day with no one else on the course.

Commented on 08/22/2017

Thank you so much for the kind remarks.

We are glad that you enjoyed your round at Oyster Reef and we look forward to seeing you again.

"Basic HHI course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This is just a typical HHI course - well conditioned, variety of holes through tight tree lined fairways. Hard to get into much trouble because the pines are cleaned out underneath. Not as much water that is troublesome as some other area courses. Not special, but nothing bad. My personal experience wasn't as good as hoped, but only due to the fact that I was playing as a single. They were starting everyone on 10, and when it was my tee time, two other groups had been sent to the tee in front of me that had yet to tee off. The pro in the shop instructed me to go start on #2. That worked for all of 1 hole, then I caught up with an older couple who asked me to play through, then I got bogged down behind two foursomes, so it ended up being a long nine until I got to the back, which those in front of me had already played. I moved along briskly after that. One picturesque hole (#6), but otherwise pretty pedestrian course with homes on each side.of many holes.

"Mostly Good"

alex0503's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2017

Played afternoon time. Took just over 3 hrs. Greens had almost recovered from aerification but slow. Fairly tight fairways with many trees on each side. Some holes have out of bounds on both sides of fairways. Short course. Staff members were great. Very professional and friendly.

Commented on 08/03/2017

We greatly appreciate your comments. We do apologize for the condition of our greens but unfortunately we have to do that in order to keep them nice all year round. We look forward to having you the next time you are in Hilton Head.

"Excellent"

shelburne64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

Course was excellent. First time playing this course but would definitely play it again. Plenty of sand to stay away from but the bunkers were nice. Overall, spectacular course. Don't hesitate to play it.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017

Very well maintained. Greens rolled nicely and the layout was enjoyable. Very positive experience. I would recommend.

Commented on 07/26/2017

Thank you for the review.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Hilton Head.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017

This is one of the best courses on the island. Great pace of play, good course conditions and great layout. Staff is friendly and value good if you use golf now. A lot of sand but a fair challenge for golfers of all levels. I have been coming to Hilton Head for many years and highly recommend this course.

Commented on 07/26/2017

Thank you for the kind words.

Our staff always always strives to give our customers the best golf experience possible. We look forward to seeing you again.

"Couldn't beat it for the price"

DefendingChamps's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2017

First course I've ever played in Hilton head. Beautiful course surrounded by a nice suburban area. Playable for all skill levels

"Great Course, Great Value and Would Play Again"

Holmsie0423's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I had heard great things about Oyster Reef and man did it live up to expectations. I have had the chance to play several courses on Hilton Head Island and this one did not disappoint. There are a lot of challenges on this course, but also a lot of opportunities to score. It is the type of course that if I had some course knowledge, would probably have scored about four strokes better. With that said, the course was in near perfect shape with greens that rolled true. The staff was helpful and courteous. My family and I vacation on Hilton Head every summer and this is definitely a course I would play again.

"You MUST play here when in HHI"

jerrynthewriter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I have played ALL of the public course on HHI over the past 30 years (except for the Sea Pines courses). In my opinion, Oyster Reef is the centerpiece of the top shelf courses on the island. Beautiful layout. Perfect conditions. Great staff. All the golf you want from the white or blue tees.

I will play here every year I come to the island. If you haven't, you should. If you have, you should continue.

Commented on 07/18/2017

Thank you for the kind remarks.

We look forward to seeing you again.

"Average course definitely not worth the rate"

rsutton82's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2017

We had a foursome from Atlanta looking for a nice course to play in the HHI area. We've already played one of the Sea Pines and Palmetto Dunes courses and we were looking for something with similar quality with good reviews. This course had good reviews but to our surprise, was as average as a golf course comes with only one scenic hole on open water. For $89, we expected much much more out of the quality of the course. Not to mention the course was also as difficult as they get with extremely soft sand surrounding pretty much every green on the course. I don't mind the difficulty level, but I do mind paying nearly $100 for an average course in Atlanta would cost half the price. The only positive about the course was the staff. They were very friendly however we did get a marshal coming by every 2-3 holes monitoring everyone's progress which slowed our pace of play down even more on a 90+ degree hot summer day.

Commented on 07/13/2017

rsutton82,

We appreciate your comments regarding our staff. We strive to give our patrons an enjoyable yet valuable golfing experience and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. If there is anything that we can do to make your next visit to Hilton Head and Oyster Reef Golf Club more enjoyable, please feel free to contact us.

"Oyster Reef"

Hiltontait's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/01/2017

Rees Jones masterpiece. Layout was challenging but fair. Course was in good shape. Rain the night before made bunkers almost unplayable and considering the significant number of bunkers (over 150) I would recommend staying away after a hard rain.

Wkanyon's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2017

"a good track in good shape"

millerd66's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2017
First time playing Used cart

first time playing here. It was in great shape except one green had a spot about 4ft wide that had been replaced, which I had to putt over. Fairways in a great shape. Greens on the front rolled great. On the back they were sandy due to aeration.

No blind shots for the most part pretty straight forward. Some good par 3s, one that takes you out to the water and another that is all carry.

Lot of bunkers protecting the greens so go long

I did Golf Now and it was $50+ will play again

Commented on 06/24/2017

Thank you for choosing Oyster Reef. We apologize for that patch on the green. That was an area where a tree had fallen during hurricane Mathew and we had to make a repair. now that we have verti-cut the greens that spot will no longer be visible. We hope to see you again in the future.

"Great Hilton Head value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2017

Probably one of the best courses for the money in the Hilton Head area. Has a lot of risk/reward shots. Most greens were protected by bunkers so an errant shot will punish your scorecard. Would not miss this course if in the area especially if there is a hot deal.

"Excellent course for money"

rsbowers1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017

Greens held and were smooth. Course conditions were excellent as long as you were in fairway or first cut. Some construction/tree demolition off cart paths.

Bring bug spray!!!!!!

Commented on 06/22/2017

Thank you for the kind words and also understanding that we are still trying to repair certain areas of the golf course that were damaged by hurricane Mathew.

"Outstanding"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

Very nice Course, challenging bunkers, and superb greens with suttle breaks...

Commented on 06/22/2017

Thank you for choosing us for a round of golf while you were in Hilton Head. We look forward to seeing you again soon

"Watch out for unmanaged bunkers"

Charles7795607's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2017

On a course design where there are bunkers placed on each and every green (5.0 acres of green side bunkers as compared to 4.0 acres of greens - according to our Starter) you MUST maintain those bunkers ... learned I HAD to stay out of the horrendously maintained bunkers or expect a double or triple ...

Commented on 06/22/2017

The bunkers have a very dense sand in them. Not powdery, almost peat moss like so you have to hit through the ball, or else it will not go anywhere

Commented on 06/22/2017

We greatly apologize for the conditions of our bunkers on the day that you played. unfortunately we got a bit of rain the previous night and that caused a bit of damage with bunkers washing out. If you would like to give me an e-mail, I would love to figure out how we could make your next visit much more enjoyable.

Brian Tabb

Assistant Golf Professional

btabb@heritagegolfgroup.com

"Oyster Reef"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2017

Course in excellent condition. Good layout with many doglegs and small greens. A challenge for any skill level. Par 3s were not remarkable.

Commented on 06/22/2017

par3 are fun, The historic one is great and then the last one is awesome where it is all carry, you cannot be short or you will be in "jail" I loved the par 3s

Commented on 06/22/2017

I am sorry that our par 3's were less than great. If you wouldn't mind contacting me at some point to discuss what the issue was I would be more than happy to talk with you.

Brian Tabb

Assistant golf professional

843.681.1764

btabb@heritagegolfgroup.com

"Never A Disappointment"

Tkrae's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2017

As always a great day at the course! Compliments to the ownership and staff for the work to bring back this course and then some from the aftermath of Matthew. If your into conditioning and layout this track is worth the price of admission. Would recommend the "whites" or "blacks" to ensure an enjoyable round as you will definitely contend with the green side bunkers. After round accommodations are great with good food and drink. You won't regret this choice!

"Great course!"

Andy9769397's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

Really enjoyed playing this course. Very forgiving off the tee box.