Robert Trent Jones Golf Course at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Green (W) 72 5621 yards 72.0 123

Average Rating 4.2 stars from 5

Location is at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks

"Little Jewel on Hilton Head Island"

Sylvain9645338's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Fantastic layout and not that difficult. Well designed for average golfers. A little pricey though. The course was in great shape except for the greens which were rather slow and sandy. If I had payed full price of $120, I would have been mad. A lot of holes play into the Ocean's wind (against you) especially on the back 9 but generous fairways make up for it. It makes clubs' selection tricky and fun. Only one hole has kind of a view of the Ocean but the course gets its name from the wind. I like this course but it is not my favorite in Palmetto Dunes. I rather play the other 2 because they are more challenging. Fun but don't expect to find great greens this summer. Would play it again though. It is however the best maintained course at the Palmetto Dunes Plantation.

"Beautiful course, but miserable to play due to SLOW PLAY"

u1929516's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The layout is beautiful, and the course is very scenic. Also, like many Trent Jones layouts, make sure to bring your "A" bunker game, because there are bunkers in play on every approach and most tee shots.

Conditions were just "ok". The greens had been aerated 3-weeks before, and were recovering fine from that process (I'll never downgrade a course based on aeration!) However, many tee-boxes, and most greens had bare spots. Fairways were fine.

Now to the crux of the matter, SLOW PLAY.

The first warning sign was literally a sign -- at the first tee a sign said that a round is expected to take 4.5 hours. Hmmm.

We were the third group off the first tee on a Thursday, 7:31AM tee-time, and proceeded to wait on every single shot, finishing our round in 4:45. Yes, we were a threesome following a foursome, however the foursome behind us had to wait on their shots too. The round was an utterly miserable experience as a result. The group in front of us was at least 2 holes behind. We weren't able to play-through on our own. Rangers were a constant presence, but never DID anything. On the 4th hole, one ranger told us he would speak with the group in front of us, but nothing improved. On the back 9, it was infuriating to watch the ranger drive by the slow group, and just wave hello to them.

At one point on the back 9, I flagged down another ranger to see what he could do. Turns out he was a ranger for the Fazio course, mentioning that he had been reassigned from the Trent Jones course because they didn't like how he talked with the golfers to speed them up.

After the round, I sought out the General Manager to "provide feedback". He couldn't have been nicer to me, and it's clear to me that he cared that I didn't have a good experience. But it is equally clear to me that they don't see an issue with the pace of play -- mentioning a couple times that they expect "four-and-a-half hour" rounds, once I cited my group's 4:45 round. As I said to him, I know slow play when I see it.

In summary, playing the Robert Trent Jones course at Palmetto Dunes was an utterly miserable experience due to the pace-of-play. Based on that experience, and course management's disinterest, I cannot recommend this golf course.

Player Tip: Play somewhere else, unless you prefer to play very slowly.

"Will be back"

Michael1168012's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

This was the 2nd consecutive year playing this course with co-workers. Loved the experience. Well kept in all respects. The fairways were not spotty and all noticeable divots were under repair. The rough is exactly as it sounds....rough. Greens were excellent and I can say they were one shade if the green color rather than the green with spotty brown patches. The sand traps were suitable for beach chair and the signature hole is worth a picture. I found the staff to be very friendly (despite the heat) and I can't wait for my next round on this memorable course. The only thing to be careful of is every water hazard probably has some alligators in it - leave the ball and take the drop.

"Nearly 6 hours wasted"

uIYPR3936IY's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Apart from lady in golf shop and starter the rest of the staff need a course in customer service. Never came across people who couldn't care less about the customers. It took nearly 6 hours to play. The photos of the course in the advert don't exist. You can see the ocean on one hole. No rangers on the course. First time I ever saw 6 groups on a tee box.

"Great couse"

done4par's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Fair weather

Traditional Robert Trent Jones layout was challenging but fair. Greens were fast and true. This was 3rd round on Hilton Head Island in the past 3 days and was far the best condition. I will return

"pace of play was terrible!!!!"

whlead's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Great course with very interesting holes --- however took 5-51/2 hours to play on day with great weather.

Not sure what problem was but waited on most every shot. 3 groups on most every hole. Ranger said it would get better on back 9 but it was only marginally better. Never saw ranger on last nine holes. Multiple ball washers with no water in them. This is a wonderful course but they need to improve the playing experience!!!

"Amazing course for the price"

jserradds1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/23/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Pleasantly surprised at the condition of the course. The weather was good and we were able to get the first tee time. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. Because of the wetness of the grounds, it was cart path only, but that didn't deter from the playing experience. I was impressed with the fairways and how awesome the greens were. The scenery was amazing. I booked this course online and got a great price. I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Among Hilton Head Island's very best"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2015
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Easily in my top three on Hilton Head Island, any talk of the RTJ Course at Palmetto Dunes usually centers around the par-5 10th because of its ocean view. Honestly, though, focusing on the 10th sells this classic short. There are so many good holes out there, especially on that stretch from 9-13, where you can see four or five holes at a time and the water surrounding them. The course isn’t overly hard from the right tees, but there are tough shots out there, especially if you play it all the way back. This is also one of the best conditioned courses on the island, so it’s a premium experience all the way around. Excellent practice facilities add to the experience, and if I could, I'd give this course 4 1/2 stars overall because it's a cut above most of the other good courses here.

"Course was Awesome"

Garymac5's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The staff and the club professional exceeded my expectations. I would highly recommend this course and staff.

Player Tip: Rental clubs were excellent!

"Great course."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2015

Great course, absolutely wonderful staff! Only issue we had was the slow aerated greens. Now, we did know of the aeration prior to playing. I would still play this course again, even if the greens were aerated. All sets of tees for every level of player.

"Great course, Excellent Condition"

Ousieks1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2015

RTJ was a great track. I played today in the 2nd group and the course was in as good of condition as any non-private club south of the Mason Dixon. Plays to a true 7000 from the gold tees which made me hit every club in my bag. Only one hole touches the ocean which is 10 green and 11 tee so don't think this is an ocean lined course. Plays along many inlets and coves. I only had 2 real complaints: 1) the greens we're very green and healthy but didn't touch 10 on the stimp meter. The course would be even better with greens that rolled at a better speed. First thing in the morning they should have been rolling better 2) we had 6 plugged bunker shots in our 3-some, only 1 of which was greenside. The sand is extremely heavy and over done in most places. A 3w should not plug in the bottom of a fairway bunker as mine did on 18.

Outside of Harbor Town this is probably the best conditioned and hardest course in HH. I think $130 is a bit steep, probably closer to $90 for fair value.

"Great Course and Staff"

foreright72's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2015

This was my first time playing the RTJ course at Palmetto Dunes. I was blown away by the condition of the course and the friendliness of the golf staff. They were very accomdating and were willing to help in anyway. Make sure to hit up Big Jim's at the clubhouse and try the BBQ. I recommend this course to anyone that is in the area and I will be back.

"Great Fairways and Greens"

jeffandsherri137's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2015

This course is always in great shape and one of the best courses on the island !

"A classic design"

JKozmo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

A classic design by RTG. Fair but challenging. Back nine one of the best on HHI. Play this course every time I visit HHI. Condition of this course and the other courses at Palmetto Dunes is way better than other courses on the island during summer months. Highly recommend.

"Dated but well worth it"

BostonGolfTraveler's avatar
Boston Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

We had a lot of issues working out our tee time with the stater, we had a booked tee time, got there 90 minutes early to have breakfast and hit balls. The starter asked our nae about 30 minutes before out time and said he was running 20-25 minutes late only to about 10 minutes later tell us we were on the tee. So not 20-25 late on our time but actually 10 earlier than our scheduled tee time. Other than that cluster, we enjoyed the course. The layout, a typical HHi resort course with it's share of residential OB, was enjoyable with a lot of forced carries and water to work around. The condition of the course was above average for the time of year and the clubhouse/pro shop, though dated, had everything you need from a hearty breakfast to a nice selection of items in the pro shop.

"More, much more than I expected"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2015

Considering I had played many of the islands better courses, I find it funny that somehow I overlooked RTJ. I've played The Trail in AL and this beat those courses hands down. This course is playable yet as challenging as you want it to be. It's great golf. I will play this track every time I come to the island. I'm working hard to have my family's annual (sons and grandsons) golf tourney centered on this course. Don't screw up, play this course.

"tough course with an ocean view... for one hole!"

toothysaw2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2015
First time playing Average weather

this is one of the few courses in Hilton Head where you actually see the ocean (off the back of 10 green).

of the five courses we played on the island, this was the most forgiving, but was no less difficult. there are quite a few forced carries and there is plenty of water to avoid.

the most unique thing about this course to me is its routing. it plays almost straight out and then back. it was incredibly windy during our round, and the entire front nine was almost directly into the wind. that made for a lot of tough shots (especially the long par 3s). then most of the back nine the wind was at our back, which was kind of hard to adjust to.

very nice course!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"beautiful course, good challenge"

toothysaw2's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2015

this was the first course of five we played in hilton head. it did not disappoint. lots of water to navigate, but a very fair setup.

like most of the courses we played, precision is at a premium. getting too far off the fairway is costly.

"frankt's rtj"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2014

This is one of the best courses in SC and a bargin for the money. I have played 20+ rounds there, try to get 2 each time i am down at HHI

"Just ok"

JaredFunderburk's avatar
Age:  Under 25

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The course was not worth the money. At 129$ it was not worth it. Bunkers had footprints all over them literally all over them.