Robert Trent Jones Golf Course at Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort

Type: Resort

GPS: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Green (W) 72 5621 yards 72.0 123

Location is at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers playing multiple courses   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks

"Great course! Outstanding customer service"

Rcgreen72's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

We come down to Hilton ahead every year with the grandkids and my wife let's me out for a few rounds of golf. I played the Robert Trent Jones course today. The staff was very friendly and the course was great. What really stood out is Terry Davis attention to a certain situation I had on the course. He went out of his way to make sure I was taken care of and he went above and beyond what he should have done. You won't be disappointed with this course or the customer service.

"Poor course conditions..."

Cristian3237750's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017

8am Friday morning tee time and the weather was perfect. Course conditions were not - at all. Tees, fairways, rough, & bunkers hadn't been mowed/raked taken care of for many days. When asked they claimed they had mowed that morning which was a total lie bc the morning dew clearly showed no one had been out yet. Crabgrass growing on tees, clumps (and I mean clumps) of grass all over the rough, bunkers hadn't been touched etc you get the point. Greens were smooth but slow and also hadn't been mowed in at least 1-2 days. Just not acceptable for a resort course charging $125+ especially when others on HHI that same week were in impeccable condition. This is not the elite course/layout most of these reviewers tell you it is but if you're used to playing cheap municipal public town courses then I suppose you'd be impressed here. Vacation golf means limited chances to play resort courses so you have to choose wisely especially when paying $$$ to play.

Played Atlantic Dunes a few days earlier and was overly impressed with the layout, playability, and overall course condition and well worth the extra $$ to play there. Sorry Palmetto Dunes RTJ I wont return.

Commented on 08/08/2017

Hello Christian,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We're sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectation during your recent visit. We take immense pride in our courses and keep a rigorous maintenance schedule. There was some rain in the days leading up to your visit, which may have affected your visit. If you're still in town, I welcome you to reach out to me directly. Please call the Robert Trent Jones Pro Shop and ask for Terry Davis, Robert Trent Jones GM.

"Yes...yes...yes..."

jerrynthewriter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I mean, c'mon, it's a Robert Trent Jones layout, so how can it be anything but challenging. Lots of bunkers, but they are well-placed (in my opinion), so if you find yourself walking into them, it's because you hit an errant or bad shot. Greens were lightning-fast (a great thing, in my opinion. Teeboxes and fairways were immaculate. Great views (ocean and lagoon) abound.

Overall, top shelf!

Two minor "distractions".

Driving range is set up with mats. No, stop this please. Mats are for the Northeast, not for the south. Buy a couple of lengths of rope, some extra grass seed, and let players warm up/practice from the turf.

Get electricity to the shack between the 9th and 10th holes. I get it...a hurricane came through last year. Still, buy a generator, hook it up, and turn it on. My "aim" is somewhat suspect even in well-lit conditions, so peeing in the dark does not turn out well (seriously, we had a woman in our group and she literally had to use the bathroom in COMPLETE darkness).

"Disappointment"

leonttjones's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I was so excited to play this course, it was the highlight of our trip. While the course was nice and the view of the ocean was very cool, I was disappointed. It was hot, heat index of 106. So I understand the tees and greens being like rocks. If you hit a gap wedge though, your ball should at least leave a mark. The biggest issue was the service. They only have 3 metal water fountains on the course. They provide you warm water to drink. The half way house was closed, so after golfing 9 holes, there is nothing to eat or drink or even get ice. Eventually we found the beverage cart for her only visit on the 13th hole and she had turkey sandwiches.

If I was judging the course I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5, but the poor customer service really brought it down.

"You need to play this course!!"

Dbcoach36's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2017

I can't say enough about this course. My brother, nephew and I were on vacation from WV and decided to play all 3 of the Palmetto Dunes courses. The Robert Trent Jones is by far is the best of all 3 when comparing course and customer service..Hills is a close second in course conditions but lacks the service that the Jones course gave us. From the time you arrive you feel like someone and just not another number. We were greeted by Parker at the bag drop off and he was outstanding. The pro shop and the service were great. We hit a few balls on the range and then started our round. Dave, the starter was great and told us all about the course. Course was in great shape. After we finished we bought a few shirts and were really impressed the guy in the pro shop remembered our name.. if you are in the area you need to play this course.

"Great experience"

Psnyder33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017

I had some friends in town and we decided to go to the Robert Trent Jones course. I had not played here in several years and it surprised me in a good way. The staff was very attentive and helped us in way they could. I've been to several higher end resorts and even their service was not this good. We checked in and went to the range before our round. Tim helped us out on the range and made us feel at home. The starter called for us and offered us an apple from their cooler(nice touch) the course was in great shape and the greens rolled perfect. I'll be back soon!!

"Great course on the ocean"

Keith0709's avatar
Georgia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2017

What a great course at Palmetto Dunes resort. The three courses at the resort are all one of a kind but this one is truly spectacular. The Robert Trent Jones course built in 2002 is truly special. The ocean views are great and the white sand bunkers with deep rough really make it a tough day. The wind can really blow on the back nine. The food in the clubhouse is great and the staff was really accommodating at was willing to awnser are questions. The carts seemed new and where electric. (Which run smoother then gas) The best part is the overall price with tax, ocean views, great course, and fees I spent about $95 dollars. Overall the course was great.

"GREAT Golfing experience"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

If you really want a GREAT golfing experience, look no further than the RTJ Golf Course in Plametto Dunes. I know there are numerous choices for golf on Hilton Head Island, but RTJ is a course I could play everyday. Challenging, yet fair. Great views of the Atlantic Ocean. The rates during the winter months for the quality of play, can't be beat. Let me tell you upon entering the golf shop, or making a tee time over the phone, Terry and Michael do a TREMENDOUS job. They are very accommodating and Professional. They go way beyond the call of duty. After golf, we eat at Big Jims. The food is outstanding, with great views. Gail behind the bar is a plus. She's great, and very entertaining. In my opinion, Clark, the Director of Golf, is also doing a TREMENDOUS job. One more thing, Dianne in the Pro Shop is the BEST. She's responsible for the clothing merchandise. Yes, I bought several pieces of golf clothing. Beautiful clothes. One of my favorite places to shop for golf clothes. All things considered, this is my favorite golfing experience. KUDOS TO ALL, and keep up the good work. P.S. The Course is in GREAT shape

"Lots of fun!"

sarrowood's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2016

We came to HHI not just for a golf trip - more of a family vacation with a couple of rounds squeezed in. This place is exactly what you want for such a trip - excellent shape, enough continuity but enough variety to make the layout interesting, not a bad hole out there. This will definitely be a standard visit on future trips to the island.

"GREAT Day"

andyey's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I cannot tell you what a great experience I had last week! The starter, David, took the time to talk to my 7 year old son to start out the day. Every ranger we saw on the course greeted us with a smile and asked us if we needed cold towels since it was such a warm day. To wrap up our day, Karen could not have been more pleasant in the pro shop and again, took time to talk to my son.

On the golf side, the course was in immaculate shape! Of course it was challenging and got frustrating, but it was exactly what I expected. The sounds of the ocean on 10 were great. I could not have asked for a better day and I will let everyone know. Thanks for making my vacation that much better!

"Little Jewel on Hilton Head Island"

Sylvain9645338's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Fantastic layout and not that difficult. Well designed for average golfers. A little pricey though. The course was in great shape except for the greens which were rather slow and sandy. If I had payed full price of $120, I would have been mad. A lot of holes play into the Ocean's wind (against you) especially on the back 9 but generous fairways make up for it. It makes clubs' selection tricky and fun. Only one hole has kind of a view of the Ocean but the course gets its name from the wind. I like this course but it is not my favorite in Palmetto Dunes. I rather play the other 2 because they are more challenging. Fun but don't expect to find great greens this summer. Would play it again though. It is however the best maintained course at the Palmetto Dunes Plantation.

"Beautiful course, but miserable to play due to SLOW PLAY"

u1929516's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The layout is beautiful, and the course is very scenic. Also, like many Trent Jones layouts, make sure to bring your "A" bunker game, because there are bunkers in play on every approach and most tee shots.

Conditions were just "ok". The greens had been aerated 3-weeks before, and were recovering fine from that process (I'll never downgrade a course based on aeration!) However, many tee-boxes, and most greens had bare spots. Fairways were fine.

Now to the crux of the matter, SLOW PLAY.

The first warning sign was literally a sign -- at the first tee a sign said that a round is expected to take 4.5 hours. Hmmm.

We were the third group off the first tee on a Thursday, 7:31AM tee-time, and proceeded to wait on every single shot, finishing our round in 4:45. Yes, we were a threesome following a foursome, however the foursome behind us had to wait on their shots too. The round was an utterly miserable experience as a result. The group in front of us was at least 2 holes behind. We weren't able to play-through on our own. Rangers were a constant presence, but never DID anything. On the 4th hole, one ranger told us he would speak with the group in front of us, but nothing improved. On the back 9, it was infuriating to watch the ranger drive by the slow group, and just wave hello to them.

At one point on the back 9, I flagged down another ranger to see what he could do. Turns out he was a ranger for the Fazio course, mentioning that he had been reassigned from the Trent Jones course because they didn't like how he talked with the golfers to speed them up.

After the round, I sought out the General Manager to "provide feedback". He couldn't have been nicer to me, and it's clear to me that he cared that I didn't have a good experience. But it is equally clear to me that they don't see an issue with the pace of play -- mentioning a couple times that they expect "four-and-a-half hour" rounds, once I cited my group's 4:45 round. As I said to him, I know slow play when I see it.

In summary, playing the Robert Trent Jones course at Palmetto Dunes was an utterly miserable experience due to the pace-of-play. Based on that experience, and course management's disinterest, I cannot recommend this golf course.

"Will be back"

Michael1168012's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather

This was the 2nd consecutive year playing this course with co-workers. Loved the experience. Well kept in all respects. The fairways were not spotty and all noticeable divots were under repair. The rough is exactly as it sounds....rough. Greens were excellent and I can say they were one shade if the green color rather than the green with spotty brown patches. The sand traps were suitable for beach chair and the signature hole is worth a picture. I found the staff to be very friendly (despite the heat) and I can't wait for my next round on this memorable course. The only thing to be careful of is every water hazard probably has some alligators in it - leave the ball and take the drop.

"Nearly 6 hours wasted"

uIYPR3936IY's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Apart from lady in golf shop and starter the rest of the staff need a course in customer service. Never came across people who couldn't care less about the customers. It took nearly 6 hours to play. The photos of the course in the advert don't exist. You can see the ocean on one hole. No rangers on the course. First time I ever saw 6 groups on a tee box.

"Great couse"

done4par's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Fair weather

Traditional Robert Trent Jones layout was challenging but fair. Greens were fast and true. This was 3rd round on Hilton Head Island in the past 3 days and was far the best condition. I will return

"pace of play was terrible!!!!"

whlead's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Great course with very interesting holes --- however took 5-51/2 hours to play on day with great weather.

Not sure what problem was but waited on most every shot. 3 groups on most every hole. Ranger said it would get better on back 9 but it was only marginally better. Never saw ranger on last nine holes. Multiple ball washers with no water in them. This is a wonderful course but they need to improve the playing experience!!!

"Amazing course for the price"

jserradds1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/23/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Pleasantly surprised at the condition of the course. The weather was good and we were able to get the first tee time. The staff was very helpful and accommodating. Because of the wetness of the grounds, it was cart path only, but that didn't deter from the playing experience. I was impressed with the fairways and how awesome the greens were. The scenery was amazing. I booked this course online and got a great price. I would absolutely recommend this course to anyone!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Among Hilton Head Island's very best"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2015
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Easily in my top three on Hilton Head Island, any talk of the RTJ Course at Palmetto Dunes usually centers around the par-5 10th because of its ocean view. Honestly, though, focusing on the 10th sells this classic short. There are so many good holes out there, especially on that stretch from 9-13, where you can see four or five holes at a time and the water surrounding them. The course isn’t overly hard from the right tees, but there are tough shots out there, especially if you play it all the way back. This is also one of the best conditioned courses on the island, so it’s a premium experience all the way around. Excellent practice facilities add to the experience, and if I could, I'd give this course 4 1/2 stars overall because it's a cut above most of the other good courses here.

"Course was Awesome"

Garymac5's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The staff and the club professional exceeded my expectations. I would highly recommend this course and staff.

"Great course."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2015

Great course, absolutely wonderful staff! Only issue we had was the slow aerated greens. Now, we did know of the aeration prior to playing. I would still play this course again, even if the greens were aerated. All sets of tees for every level of player.