Heron Point at Sea Pines Resort

• 100 N. Sea Pines Dr., Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 29928, Beaufort County
  • (800)-732-7463
  • seapines.com

Year built: 1961
Architect(s): Pete Dye (2007), George Cobb (1961)
Type: Resort

Carolina 72 5594 yards 68.7 125
Palmetto 72 5176 yards 66.4 112
Palmetto (W) 72 5176 yards 71.6 123
Family 72 3699 yards 0.0 0

Location is at a resort near local attractions   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include bunkers water hazards narrow fairways   Great for drinks patio dining amazing food

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2017

"Greens still recovering"

Filthy20's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

I loved this course, but be aware of some short doglegs off the tee. I got into trouble a few times without knowing the course layout. The greens were still recovering from a recent punch (8 days earlier) - yes, I was aware of this in advance, so I pushed this course to my last day of vacation. They were pretty good, but I'm excited to get back out there and eat this course up next time! Thanks for having Yuenglings in the bev cart!

Tony479's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017

Course was in great condition. It was open in the afternoon so the pace was perfect.

"Nice course"

kunzel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2017

We were not very impressed with the course. It was beautiful and the conditions were great, but we could play two, or maybe three times at other courses for the rate we paid here.

"Grossly overpriced"

mfhjr's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

Average course layout, average conditions, terrible value. I've played numerous courses with better layouts and conditions for half the price. Hard to believe it's a Dye course.

"Do or Dyed"

fosheeja's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

On a beautiful afternoon I just joined three other gentlemen for a round on the well conditioned Heron Point course at Sea Pines. The course was very well conditioned and the pace of play was very good. The course is well run by very competent staff from pro shop through to the rangers. The only issue was pin placement were tucked with numerous holes on slopes. The rest of my group left defeated and unlikely to play there again. I will return for the challenge and conditions!

"Beautiful course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2017

Beautiful course and well cared for greens. However, don't let the beauty distract you, it is a challenging course. Great time and I can't wait to return.

"FOG"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2016
First time playing Used cart

This was the 1st course of a 3 course golf package, The staff was very friendly from arrival and check in to getting range balls and getting me going to the 1st tee box. The fog was so thick that morning, I could only see 1/3 up the fairway and it stayed thick for most of the round. I was paired with a walking player who was familier with the course. I have to say it was a blurr but everything was in very good shape, the greens where fair but slow due to the heavy air ( sounds good ) my putting wasn't bad and I felt like I played ok after a 12 hour drive with an 8 30 tee time the next morning. I finished with a 96 a 46 on the front and 50 on the back. Too many double bogies on both sides. All in All I'm ok with it, playing for the 1st time. If you book a package make sure this is one of them.

"Always a Hilton Head favorite"

Keith0709's avatar
Georgia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Heron Point is always a Pete Dye favorite. I played here and the course was absoulutley packed. I played Harbour town this year so I went back which was supposed to be great. Heron Pointe and Harbour Town both recovered nicely after Hurrican Matthew. The staff was very nice and helpful and the clubhouse was a nice modern one. The practice facilites where great with two putting greens and a large driving range and 75 degree weather I couldn't ask for much more. The starter was very friendly and the course Itself was great my favorite holes were 9&18. Both holes had water the par three they are rising the green to see the ocean better was great even though you had to walk up a few steps. 11 was a fun hole that I made birdie on. The course was great and the bar and grill was phenomenal. Overall Heron Point was a great course and a great alternative for Harbour Town.

"Heron Point"

Christosbob's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Verified Purchaser

I have played this course quite a few times over the years and it has always been an excellent experience. Even after hurricane Mathew, the course has been cleaned up and is in terrific shape.. The staff here are always happy to help and give advise. Would I come back? 100% yes. Highly recommend it.

"Spectacular"

michaelganovski's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

this is one of the finest tracks i have ever played. including a fair amount of private courses over the years and some top tier public. the price / value is 5 stars. I have paid $95 for a lot lesser tracks. and i very rarely give a course 5 stars, i am proud to be picky.

Pete Dye is a master of design and challenge. Greens are magnificent - very tough for a public course player, but fun. very true, extremely FAST. a mild criticism is that they are very firm, approach shots don't check much. Not much 'pro-V' action , as our guys call it.

Fairways, traps, tee boxes are meticulously kept and manicured. even great long handled rakes! also great warm up area (grass) and chipping / putting area.

a great experience. in fact, we played Sunday and that was after 36 on Saturday there. just a wonderful 2 days to wrap up our trip.

Love you Blue Heron! (and the alligator sightings are really cool too)

"It's a breeze."

sandytrace's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The wind was blowing quite steadily on the first tee and it kept up for most of the round. It never seemed to be at our back! The course is in beautiful shape- the tee boxes are almost suited for putting.

"First Class Experience"

dyamane's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

A first class experience from start to finish. Every employee we encountered along the way -- and there were MANY there to help -- was very pleasant and helpful.

The course itself was in very good shape, including some very challenging soft fluffy sand. There were five sets of tees, plus a set of family tees that were for young children, which made the course a fair challenge for players of all abilities. I heard that the course had been "softened" around on and on the green, which is hard to imagine because we found the greens to be very challenging to putt as is. That said, this is not the most difficult Pete Dye course I have seen or played. It is a challenging course for a resort.

One thing I especially liked about Heron Point is the emphasis on playing a round in 4 hours. The starter emphasized this to us and we saw a few rangers along the way who were checking in on our pace of play. And, lo and behold, we finished in 4 hours.

We played on 4th of July weekend so they had an American flag on the stick at the 18th green. I was impressed that they included a stand next to the green to rest the flag stick on so the American flag itself wouldn't touch the ground.

At the end of the round you can pop into the locker room in the club house -- gentlemen, remove your hats -- and have some jelly bellies or other candies provided gratis. Get your car, collect your bags, duke the staff, and start planning your next trip to the course.

"Great course apart fromt the greens"

benskyrme's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/19/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Really enjoyed playing this course, although the greens could have been in better condition. For the most part they ran true, but many of the greens had sections of new turf that did not appear to be meshing very well with the existing green.

Not a course for you if you don't like water!

"Great track"

cincy8's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2016

The course layout was terrific and the clubhouse was incredible. The fairways and tee boxes were in great shape. However, the greens were in pretty rough shape in comparison to the nearby courses we played. And considering the expensive green fees, we expected them to be better. Overall, though, very impressive course.

"A+ overall experience"

Maverick003's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Staff does a great job of getting you set up for a wonderful experience. The tiff greens run true and were in excellent condition.

"Top level course"

baw48's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Expensive but worth the money. Beautifully maintained and run facility.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Heron Point by Pete Dye among best on Hilton Head Island"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2015
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

At times I found myself enjoying Heron Point as much as I did Harbour Town. Recent renovations by Pete Dye, who softened the course, have made it more enjoyable, but with water on the majority of holes, this is still no pushover. In terms of scenery, it’s one beautiful hole after another against the backdrop of the Low Country marshes, never boring, and in terrific shape. And talk about clubhouses; this one is impressive and one of the largest in the country. Great practice facilities, great service make this a must-play on at Sea Pines and Hilton Head Island.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Not a $100+ golf course"

Tomuchwork's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/21/2015

Paying for name not quality of course, should have gone with fist thought and quit after first hole, greens were slow and spotty. Greens got a little better but not much. Had to wait on every shot on back 9. Hope it gets better after redo. Staff was great, saw drink cart 2 times on front and once on back as we were 30 feet from green on 18. Glad there was water on course. The facility is very nice. This course is worth no more than $50.

"Coming Home"

DrewK405's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I have lived on Hilton Head for close to 30 years and grew up in Sea Pines Plantation and would like to say i had a memorable experience yesterday playing the course I grew up playing every day for the majority of my childhood. The Sea Pines Resort put a beautiful new clubhouse overlooking a redesigned practice facility that completely blew me away. A relaxing feel greets you as you walk into a county club style locker room, friendly staff, and beautiful scenery. We played our round in a little more than 4 hours and had cocktails in rocking chairs as a late afternoon thunderstorm approached. A relaxing monday coming back to where i grew to love the game of golf.