Coyote Creek Golf Club - The Tournament Course

GPS: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire required. Collared shirts, mock neck shirts golf slacks or golf shorts. No Denim jeans cut offs or tank tops or tee shirts allowed.

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city near the airport   Great for advanced golfers locals wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include forced carries bunkers plays long   Great for drinks brunch patio dining

"Love this course but wild boars have done it in!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/08/2017

My goodness I have NEVER seen so much damage done by wild boars until I played here.Although they did not damage the tee boxes just all around them or the greens again just all around them and all over the fairways randomly and only on the tournament course on the side near the hill on the otherside of the freeway.The course is beautiful but we did have a very hard time locating balls that landed in the dug up areas by the boars.Still this is an amazing course in incredible shape beyond the damaged areas.Hopefully they serve a lot of wild boar specials in the restarant and get this gem back to its pristine condition.

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 12/12/2017:

Thank you for coming out to Coyote Creek! We're happy to have you back for another round and appreciate your support as we work through the challenges our natural wildlife has given our crew managing the course. Luckily, most of the course has been safe from their effects!

"Tough but rewarding course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/14/2017

This course is amazing. Greens were in tip-top shape and clubhouse was beautiful. Every hole had a different challenge to offer you. We paid $37 per person (hot deal) and we were amazed at the value that we got. Course was tough. Plenty of bunkers and water hazards make this course definitely challenging (especially when the wind is blowing which will regularly happen). But if you play smart and know how to hit in windy conditions, this course is definitely rewarding. Absolutely recommend this course and will be booking again soon and often.

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 11/17/2017:

Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience at Coyote Creek! We're glad you enjoyed the challenges the course presents and we all look forward to seeing you again soon!

"great layout"

Bruce8019716's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/09/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Course is in excellent shape. Only thing is there was extensive damage to to course due to wild pigs coming down from the hill and rooting up the grass everywhere.

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 11/13/2017:

Thank you for coming out for another great round at Coyote Creek, Bruce! We appreciate your four-star rating and are glad you enjoy the course layout!

r3n8to's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/01/2017

Excellent golf course. Highly recommended to every golfers in town.

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 11/05/2017:

Thank you for your amazing rating and recommendation! We're glad you enjoyed your first round of golf at Coyote Creek and we hope to see you back again soon!

"Should have knew there was some thing wrong!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2017

The course is in very good condition, except for the sandy greens. Wish there are better directional display in their gps, but it’s just me.

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 11/13/2017:

We appreciate your feedback on your round and your 4-star rating.

"Excellent course, will be back again."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/31/2017

This is an excellent course, but challenging. You will need to use every single club in your bag. This is my first time, and definitely will come back again for more rounds.

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 11/05/2017:

Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience from your first visit to Coyote Creek! We're glad you enjoyed the course layout and look forward to seeing you back again soon!

"Course maintenance issues & pace of play"

Kyle7985175's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/26/2017

I tried playing a round mid week, tees off 10:15am

I get there early to hit a warm up bucket and the machine is broken, no one available for 15-20 minutes! Go to tee off, and the maintenance guy mowing lawn right down the middle of fairway... The course has been chewed up by boars, and they need to address ASAP, and they are still charging full price! I finished 15 holes in 5+ hours, had to leave pace of play was aweful

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 10/30/2017:

Hi Kyle, we appreciate your feedback from your last round at Coyote Creek. We are working to make all of the necessary improvements to the course impacted by the local wildlife and hope you will come back and see all of the work we're doing.

"Bad Customer Service"

Alex326's avatar
San Francisco Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017

I will try to be as neutral as possible with my review. This is only my second time playing Coyote Creek and neither time was a pleasurable experience. This was my first time playing the tournament course which used to only be for members but is now open to the public.

The track layout was decent but nothing really spectacular. The 7-8 holes in the hills were fun but I actually enjoyed the flat section of the course more which is odd for me because I put a lot of (rating) weight into courses with a lot of elevation.

My favorite hole on the course is the par 5 17th which has water in front of the green that makes going for it in two a real risk. It also plays into a head wind in the afternoon making it even tougher. I needed another 10 yards on my drive before being comfortable with trying it but it was sooooo tempting!

Greens roll smooth at a respectable medium/fast pace. Pay attention to the direction of the grain on these more than anywhere. I got fooled a few times on putts not breaking as expected.

Sand traps were excellent, however they are short on rakes. There were a few huge bunkers with only one or two rakes total So you have to walk around a bit to get a rake. I raked up a few footsteps from other players who didn't bother with fetching s rake.

The course has recently been destroyed by wild pigs. None of the greens were affected but several large areas around the greens and on the fairways were completely destroyed. There must have been 20-30 areas the size of a living room that had been turned up and destroyed by pigs.

I felt bad for the grounds crew.

The course seemed to play longer than the yardage said. I shot my handicap so my game was decent but it might have just been the cooler windy conditions.

Customer service at coyote creek is absolutely the worst. Both times I've played here I've had bad experiences with the staff. The guy at the pro shop was busy talking to another employee who was headed to the range on his day off. Not only was he ignoring me but he was ignoring the starter who was trying to reach him on the radio. When he finally did check me in he acted as if I was a bother. There was no friendliness in his tone nor did he explain anything (carts, range, 1st tee location etc) he didn't ask if I had any questions and just seemed put out that I was there checking in.

Getting my cart was the same as neither person bothered to even talk to me more less help me with my clubs (I saved money on tips for sure). They too did not offer any friendly small chat or any direction on the layout of the land.

The starter was the only friendly staff members outside of the grounds crew that I encounter. The starter was an elderly gentleman and he was polite and courteous as you would expect from someone from that generation.

The entire staff if Coyote Creek need to take a trip down to Quail Lodge or San Juan Oaks for some customer service lessons. Those two courses have the best staff around.

My wife is the one who likes Coyote Creek so if I ever go back it will be because of her. Hey you gotta lose a battle to win a war occasionally!

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 10/24/2017:

Hi Alex, we appreciate you coming out to play Coyote Creek and are happy to hear you were able to experience the Tournament Course. The wildlife around here has been a factor this season, and our grounds crew appreciates your support as they have been working hard to ensure the best course conditions we have to offer for every golfer. We also appreciate the feedback on your experience with our staff and hope that you and your wife will not be deterred from coming back for another round at Coyote Creek. If you have any other feedback, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!

"some course damage"

markfishwick's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2017

wild pigs have damaged many areas of the course, unfortunately. greens needed rolling. no gps in my cart so had to rely on the other players

Response from #CoyoteCreekGolfClub on 10/24/2017:

Thank you for playing another round at Coyote Creek and sharing your experience, Mark. Our grounds crew has been working every day to combat the impact of our local wildlife, and we hope that you will come back and see all of the work they've put in soon!

"Pig Damage"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2017

The wild pigs have badly torn up the first nine holes of the tournament course. Happy I only paid $40 on hot deal. Really too bad because this is a beautiful, well designed course. Hope they can replace it quickly.

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 10/16/2017:

We appreciate your coming to play a round with us and your feedback, Larry. We are constantly making improvements and doing maintenance to the course to make sure our conditions are up to par and hope you will come back to see them soon!

"Wild Pigs!!!"

peterchoi2's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2017

Wild pigs have dug up throughout the Tournament course. Luckily, they only dug up next to the tee boxes and greens. I think they like soft ground to dig on...

Fairway and greens were okay...

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 10/16/2017:

Thank you, Peter. We are glad the pigs' impact on the course did not affect your play. We hope that you will visit us again soon to see all of the work we have put in to remedy the impact of our wild friends!

"The course is challenging"

richndenise's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2017

I have played this course numerous times and I can never get enough. I just enjoy the challenge and the conditions are always somewhat different, which makes it that much more interesting.

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 10/12/2017:

Hi Rich, Thank you for coming back for another great round at Coyote Creek and sharing your experience with us! We're glad you've enjoyed the challenges the course presents and hope we see you back again soon!

"Challenging"

Hhippster's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2017

You better have a pretty good game to play this course. Hope you can consistently carry your ball 150 yards. One hole had a 185 yard carry between two trees. Yikes.

Another unfortunate situation is the damage the wild pigs make. Thank goodness they didn't mess with the greens but several holes had fairway damage next to greens. Not a good look.

My game isn't strong enough for this course but I will come back when it improves. (Hate losing so many balls). This day it was wide open but I can see high handicappers holding up play looking for errant balls. Including me.

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 10/09/2017:

We're glad you came out to play Coyote Creek and appreciate your feedback! We hope that you won't be too worried about your skill as many players have improved their game playing at our course (and we also have great instructors!).

"Great deal from Golf Now"

Naren302's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

We played at this course and got a great deal from Golf Now.This is a challenging course.The greens were aerated so that was the only problem but we were aware of this.

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 09/26/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and five-star rating, Naren302! We're glad you enjoyed your round! If you'd like to know when we are running specials at the course, sign up for our e-club at http://www.coyotecreekgolf.com/email/

"great course"

Denzil3919855's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

If you're in the San Jose area, this is a must play course. Many courses have 3 or 4 great holes but Coyote Creek tournament course has 10 to 11. Having played this course numerous times I'm always amazed at its beauty. The finishing holes "16-18" are an added treat. Go play it, you won't be disappointed. PS: I've played many courses in the area, this one stands out.

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 09/26/2017:

Thank you for your review! We're glad you've enjoyed playing Coyote Creek and appreciate your recommendation to other golfers! We look forward to having you back again soon!

"Course Condition - Green Aerficiation Notice"

dc2bkim's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2017

This is our first time playing at this course. My wife always wanted to play here so I booked through Golfnow (hot deal) for my wife birthday. When I checked in at the starter, they told us that green was just aerified a week ago. My wife didn't say anything but I knew that she wasn't happy. To make my story short. I wished I was told beforehand as I would've find alternate tee time.

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 09/19/2017:

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you both still enjoyed your round. We hope that you will be back for another round at Coyote Creek!

"Punched green"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2017

Somebody should let me know that the green with the punched on Monday!

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 09/19/2017:

Hi Humphreychen, we apologize that you did not know about the maintenance being done to the course upon your arrival. Thank you for your feedback on your round.

"Worst round ever!"

Hogall's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/13/2017

First of, I am aware of a **Aerification Alert - Expect Course Recovery Conditions** when I book this. Thinking they are just going to punch the green. Upon arriving; I see there are about 1/2 inches of sands on every greens. (putting is impossible, the ball just skid on top of the sand)

The guy in the pro-shop was rude beyond believe. He keep reminding me that they did post an Aerification Alert on their website and we should have known. The part that really make me mad was that - the other course weren't aerificated; and he didn't even offer to switch us over. ( we didn't realize it till we reach the 11 holes - which is parallel to the other course)

I think if they are going to top dress the green (as they claim) this way - they should have closed the course...

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 09/15/2017:

Hi Hogall, thank you for your feedback on your round and we appreciate your suggestion.

"Pace of play ruined a great course"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2017

Start with the pros: the course is really a lot of fun. It's challenging, with good distance and forced carries that will challenge your long irons. There are a lot of risk/reward plays. The wind in the afternoon takes a challenging course and makes it truly difficult. It is a fantastic layout and the maintenance is there to match.

Now for the cons: the pace of play was just bonkers. We teed off with 2 clear holes in front of us, by the 4th tee box we caught up and had 2 groups waiting to hit. The rest of the round was like that for every single shot. The group in front of us left after 9 holes and we still waited on every tee box, approach shot and green. The starter was not on the same page with the club house with which groups were and weren't checked in, and there is no marshall on the course to manage slow groups. The "semi-private" aspect allows members to show up whenever they want and demand a spot on the tee. Despite the "pace of play is 4:30" signs posted in every cart and clubhouse, it took us 5 hours and 40 minutes to finish 18 holes. For a $95 greens fee that's unacceptable, they need to schedule tee times further apart.

It's just a shame because it's a beautiful, well designed course but every round I've played on either course at coyote creek is like this. Despite some of the higher greens fees in the area they do not give you the value for the price and it ruins an exceptional course.

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 09/12/2017:

We appreciate your feedback on your round and are glad you enjoyed the course layout. We hope that this will not deter you from coming back to try us again.

"Argh"

cobursec's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Great course and conditions however waiting 15 minutes at a time was aggravating to say the least. Could not stand it any longer and left after 13.

Response from Coyote Creek Golf Club on 09/12/2017:

Thank you for your feedback on your round. We hope that the pace of play on this particular day will not deter you from playing another round at Coyote Creek.