Hyde Park Golf Club

Caddies: No

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Championship 72 6468 yards 71.0 124
Regular 72 6153 yards 69.5 122
Ladies 73 5464 yards 71.3 119

Location is convenient to the city in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for locals beginners seniors   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes water hazards   Great for drinks watching the game brunch

"Fun/great price"

Adam6862202's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2023

Best course in jax for the price right now. Greens are clean and Rollin smooth for the most part. Fairways and the rest of course are in good shape

""Old school" at its best"

J6878552's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

As a history buff, I really enjoyed playing Hyde Park. Being able to experience the track just as the greats of game did back in the 40's and 50's was memorable. Knowing that those guys and gals stood "right here", and now I get to play those same shots was never far from my mind as I toured the course. Not enough "stars" available to rank that experience. One request I have is to maybe add a sign, posted on #6, that tells the story of HOW Hogan took an 11 on that hole. That would be interesting.

Now, the course conditions, on the other hand, were not good this day. It appears that nothing had been mowed in days. (Probably due to the rain they've been having?? ) The greens were extremely shaggy and "lumpy". Fairways were like rough, and the rough was like a pasture. (i would know as I was in it most of the day. ~oye~:) But being a "glass half full" kind of guy, and seeing for the first time how Ross designed greens, I'm thankful, in a way, that the greens were running so slow. I would have been dead on many a hole had they been running "normal".

I will go back. I want to play Hyde Park again, now that I've seen it once. As the tee-box construction wraps up, and the mowers can get out and get the course manicured again, it will only get tougher, and the realization of how good the greats of the game were will become more apparent when playing the course as it was meant to be.

"No deal"

Age:  Under 25

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2017

Course had potential for a nice lay out. Fairways were like rough. Greens were slow.

Commented on 08/14/2017

We apologize for the condition of the course when you visited us. We have received a lot of rain and couldn't mow the fairways due to the standing water. We are conducting a lot of work and much-needed maintenance to improve the condition of the course. We hope that you will give us another chance to earn some more stars on your next review!

"The Greens"

Jsgrillo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

The Greens were to high to putt on . Couldn't get a good reed on my putts , Had to add extra stokes onto my score.

Commented on 07/31/2017

Thank you for your feedback as we are always trying to improve our customer's experience. We apologize for the inconvenience of the irrigation system. We are in the middle of major changes which can impose on the players from time to time. We sincerely hope that you come back and give us another chance to earn your business!

"No greens maintenance"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

The greens haven't mowed in a few days sincere they plug them. Probably a 2 on the stimip.

Commented on 07/27/2017

We apologize for the condition of the greens as they could not be mowed for a week after aeration. We are now mowing them and they are filling in very nicely. We hope you give us another chance to earn your business as our course continues to improve!

"You can tell it was once a gorgeous course."

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Hyde Park has a lot of history. It was the host to the early Jacksonville open and has the signature historic "Hogan Alley" hole. Sadly, even with all this history and recognition, it seems the course has fallen.

Don't get me wrong, the course layout was fun and had some overall beautiful signature holes, but if you're looking for a well maintained atmosphere and overall fun time, you're in bad luck.

At the time of my playing experience, the greens were almost the same length as some of the competitive courses fairways. They did mention they were going to be cutting them relatively soon and apologized (after we booked the course), but even if they did cut the greens, it would still have a immense amount of patches. Sadly this is only complimented with the endless amount of weeds in the fairway.

Poor maintenance has caused this course to fall by the waist side. You can definitely tell it was one a beautiful layout, but hasn't kept its condition over the years.

We payed for 18, but stopped after 9 holes.

Commented on 07/26/2017

Thank you for your honest feedback as we appreciate any and all remarks. Unfortunately, we aerated the greens on 07/19 and were unable to mow them with the amount of sand on them while they fill back in. We sincerely apologize for the bad experience and hope that you give us another chance to earn your business. We are working diligently to get through our transition period and reverse the lack of maintenance that took place in the past.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017

Course Layout: Poor

"The course is really coming around."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2017

Greens and most bunkers in good shape. Fairways and greens will again be aerated next week on July 19th....

Commented on 07/17/2017

Thank you for your business as we are going through our transitional phase! We are aerating the greens and fairways to continue the improvement process of the course to bring it back to its former glory!

bill8107's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Fairways and greens need work. To many dead spots. Hopefully the new owners have some money to spend on this old but very scenic course.

Commented on 07/31/2017

Thank you for your honest opinion on the course and its condition. We are working hard to get the course in top condition and apologize for the transitional phase as we continue our improvements. We hope that you will give Hyde Park another opportunity to earn your business!

"Just like I remember"

cme135's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2017

This was one of the first golf courses I played when I started to play golf, way back in '92. The forced carries and undulations, for a Florida course, still kicked my butt. Unfortunately I started on the back nine (as a single, playing 9), and the sprinklers were on for three of the holes. I called in the pro shop and he just said to play the dry holes a couple of times...., made for a tedious back nine. Still, had no one around so I got to play a couple of shots off the tee, and finished with a 5 iron in from 178 to 15 ft. If that didn't happen, this might be a different review....

Commented on 07/31/2017

Thank you for your business with us and we apologize for the inconvenience of the sprinklers. We are working very hard to get the condition of the course up to par. We hope that you give us another opportunity to earn your business as we continue the transitional phase of getting this course in top condition.

"Historic course, Nice folks!"

jrobigolf's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2017

A Donald Ross layout which held the Jax Open a number of times in the 40's and 50's. Fun to play. Condition of tees, fairways and greens was good although not what you might get on some of these $200-300 layouts, but I'd much rather play Hyde Park 10 times for the same money as TPC once. Folks in the pro shop and bar were really friendly. We felt like we had been regulars for years!

Commented on 07/31/2017

Thank you for your encouraging comments! We are working very hard to bring Hyde Park to it's maximum potential! We appreciate your business and hope to see you back soon!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2017

"Historic Golf Back"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

I have heard negatives regarding the condition of Hyde Park, but was pleasantly surprised. Greens and fairways are in great condition, but bunker were packed..... most likely from the recent rain. A lot of work going on to bring this historical course back to the glory years ....

Commented on 06/22/2017

Thank you for your positive comment and recent business at Hyde Park. A lot of changes have been made and there are plenty more to come! We look forward to having you back to earn that fifth star!

"A great round of golf."

Charles7829001's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

The staff is the friendliest people at any course I've played at. Gary and the other employees are what keep me coming back. I love the layout of this Historic golf course. Thank you to everyone at Hyde Park Golf Club!!!

Commented on 06/13/2017

Thank you for your excellent review! We appreciate your patience through our transitionary period as we continue to improve the course and overall experience here at Hyde Park.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017

"Classic Hyde Park"

rdeanscott's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I love Hyde Park. I played there as a kid and grew fond of the layout. Going back now as a (much older) adult I still am fond of it. It's one of those places where you want to win the lottery, buy the course and restore it to its former glory. Still fun and had a great relaxing round. Part of Jacksonville history.

Commented on 06/13/2017

Thank you for your great feedback! The course has recently been purchased and under new ownership and management. We are working hard to get the course to its former glory like it should be! We hope you come back soon so we can earn that fifth star!

"This course has some nice holes"

papad1129's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I had not played this course for a couple years. I forgot how challenging it can be. The only negative was that the greens were very slow. The last time I played the course, the greens were much faster. My rating for the course would be higher if the greens were faster.

"C'mon Really!!!"

Darryl9139141's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

The condition of the course/ greens was absolutely awful, look like the greens haven't been cut in 2 weeks.. My worst course played this year. I understand the course has changed greens management., I paid $38 dollars for round of golf with some friends...C'mon really!! ..this course is worth only $15.

Commented on 06/13/2017

We do apologize for your poor experience. We had just aerated and top dressed the greens and could not cut them appropriately. The greens have bounced back very nicely since your last visit. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to earn your business in the future!

Commented on 05/24/2017

Owner Died, New owners have no clue how to run a golf course. All the good enployees left. Its only time.

"Not sure why!"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017

We were in Jacksonville this past week for the Players Championship and this course was recommended to us based on it's history. Not sure why we played there nor why we stayed after seeing the condition of the practice range, putting green. The greens had been recently punched and sanded and as such were in horrible shape. We should have been advised in advance that this had happened so we could have made alternative arrangements. The fairways, bunkers (dirt, not sand) were not much better than the greens. No on course snacks/drink carts, horrible men's locker room ( I wanted to take a shower, however all 3 showers were filled up with cleaning supplies). Overall, I would not recommend this facility as it was in worse shape that any muni that I've ever played.

"Great value in Jacksonville"

kenmcdonald32225's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017

This is a very old course designed before golf carts were common, and thus the ride from any green to the next tee is very short. Ben Hogan once took an 11 on one of the short three-par holes, which I bested with a double bogie. Eat your heart out, Gentle Ben! Try the sausage in the snack bar at the turn - it is better by far than what is offered by most restaurants (my son-in-law insists on golfing here just for that sausage). Good fairways, good greens, a challenging mix of long an short holes with some tight tee shots. A very nice local course - you will not be disappointed.