Myrtle Beach National Golf Club - King's North Course

Blue (W) 72 5662 yards 72.0 127

"Very Disappointed"

Lou3329690's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017

My disappointment comes from the layout of the course. The fairways were beyond wet and there was no rain for weeks. It's off our must play list

"Awful"

JohnBryer's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

This is usually one of my favorites.

Greens are torn up. Many spots in the fairways were mud. Bunkers weren't properly maintained. And they're still charging full price. A major disappointment and you've lost a customer.

Course Layout: Poor

"Great track, great condition"

bjconover's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

I played King's North as a single with a late afternoon tee time. I know it is July, but I ran into one foursome and they quickly let me play thru.

The course was in great shape. The greens rolled true and fairly fast.

It has been a while since I played here, but it still is one of the best on the Strand.

"Must play"

Cfreud's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/01/2017

Have had problems with pace of play here before, but we got through in 4 hours. Great collection of holes. Course was in great condition. Have played here the last six years and will again.

"Kings North"

ralphcarchidi's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017

The course was in excellent shape. The greens were running true and were soft.We played at 10am and were done in under 4 hrs. Great track will play it again!

"Awful experience"

Bodine12's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

Excellent course...but that's about it!

1)they jam as many people in as they can. We were 8 carts deep waiting to tee off.

2) the cart we received was loaded with trash

3) i waited 30 minutes inside to buy beer and when it finally came to me I was told they had no more cold miller light.

4) we saw the cart girl ONCE

5) no GPS on carts

6)when you do get beer you get it in a plastic bag with ice...which melts in like 2 seconds and everything gets wet.

7) no one there to unload our carts at the end of the round

8) the starter was calling people over to him bc he was too lazy to get his butt out of his cart.

Very unfortunate bc it is a beautiful course, but what a horrible experience! Complete mess when it comes to hospitality!

"A Truly Challenging Golf Test"

reedyt's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

King's North was our second 18 on what became a very windy day. Frankly, the course kicked our butts. The high winds played a major role in the difficulty, but if there wasn't trouble to find on every hole, the wind wouldn't have affected our scores so significantly. If you classify yourself as a decent player or better, you should definitely include King's North on your itinerary. It is one of the most unique courses you will play in Myrtle or anywhere really. Nearly every hole would qualify as a signature hole at many courses. Complimenting the superior layout was excellent greens and overall great conditioning. Overall, King's North comes with a high price tag, but is worth the money.

"One of The Kings gems"

Isaaccoates97's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

This is one of the best designs in the area, it's definitely a tough course with lots of water and you have to think your way around the course. I'm not always a big fan of Palmers designs but this is definitely a better one. This is one of the best courses in the area with superb conditioning and a great and fun layout. It is definitely overlooked, but the flaws aren't with the course itself, but the business. First off there are 3 courses out of this clubhouse, 2 of which are very mediocre by the way. They don't space out tee times far enough, this course is flooded with golfers everywhere. It's like a factory, that makes me hesitant to play here, although the layout may be worth it. Play this course first then get to the south end to relax and enjoy the laid back atmosphere of Pawleys. I will only drive up to play this course once every trip. Give it a run though.

"Great course : poorly managed"

AHigherHandicap's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017

I usually dont mind having to wait a bit when golfing, it just is what it is.. we had the first teetime of the day. We then had to wait 10 minutes after our scheduled teetime to start.. Not sure why.. then got sent off the back 9 first. Naturally when we hit the turn and got to one there was a 4 some on the green and a 4 some on the fairway so we got to wait the rest of the round on them.

When we finished the round I parked the cart right where I picked it up from, as I'm getting out a teenage kid yelled from 30 yards away to "bring the cart over here"

Fun, challenging, and scenic course. But the staff and management need to adjust their focus.

"Bush league!"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

The course itself was fine IMO nothing special the Gambler hole is kind of neat, but not really too tough to hit the "island fairway". Conditions were good I can't really add much that hasn't already been said about the layout.

Huge Pet Peeve that they charge for range balls! Really? This is supposed to be a higher end course and they have the nerve to charge. It's not the money, it's the principal. Pace of play was very slow, we were a twosome who ended up playing behind the twosome we were supposed to have been paired with as they had tee'd off early and they had zero interest in pairing up with us..Just ignorant IMO and the marshall should have made us pair up..but anyway there is no way it should take over 5 hours to play even if it was CPO (I honestly can't remember.

This one is off the replay list we will go back to Tidewater and TPC...

"Fantastic course in every way."

MillerOutdoors's avatar
New Hampshire Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2017

What a great course. So much water and sand, and so many forced carries. ln fantastic shape. Best so far. Greens were running FAST and very large. Subtle breaks that become serious with that kind of speed. You really have to commit to somewhat aggressive putts to make the 4 to 8 footers, but if it doesn't drop be prepared for difficult putt coming back. I'm not sure if they were an 11 on stimp, but they were at least a foot faster than TPC Myrtle Beach was, and TPC greens were pretty darn quick.

Pick a set of tees shorter than you normally would. This is a very difficult course with lots of forced carries, so if you normally play the back tees move up. If you normally play the senior tees, play the ladies tees and you'll have a better chance of handling this monster. :)

"Take a FLY SWATTER with you"

David3993508's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2016

The last 2 years we booked this course and the flies ate us up.. you would be standing over the ball slapping your legs. it took the focus off the golf course and the experience .. I was wondering why many of the golfers were wearing long pants.. if you go wear long pants.. we played the south course and it didn't seem to have the same problem.. not sure why.. but not booking it again until I hear different .. rest of the ratings obvious are good.

"Kings North is a real challenge"

drlgolf's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

First time I've played this course and it ate my lunch. Since I can't hit the ball very far off the tee, I wound up going for bogie on most holes. Not successfully I might add. No fault of the course, more the fault of the tournament committee that set up the course. The layout is very challenging. For example, one par 5 has an island FAIRWAY of all things. If you're really accurate and long off the tee, it's possible to be going for eagle from the island. Very clever hole. There are also two other 18's at Myrtle Beach National that are worth playing. Overall, great facility.

"The King Doesn't Put His Name to Mediocrity"

JackStraw6's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

The course started out like any other course in the area but after that it was a gem as far as layout and challenge.Very pleasing to the eye with water coming in to play on most of the holes some requiring carry to the greens..Overall condition was good as far as fairways and greens. Some courses in the area are beat up but Arnie would never let that happen here.The signature hole is a par 5 called "The Gambler" You can either try to hit your driver onto an island leaving yourself a mid-iron to a green protected by water in front, or you can take the safe and longer way. i played in the afternoon and there was nobody here(too hot I guess) There are three courses at this complex with this one the most expensive. The others,the West and the South aren't to shabby either. If your looking to splurge a little, it's definitely worth it.

"Favorite Course I've ever played so far"

ToxicTank's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2016

There is tons of great info you can research and read about this course's history and layout. I will keep it simple and say the upkeep was phenomenal compared to what I am used to in West Virginia. I would say this course is immaculate under most comparisons. The staff was very nice and helpful with the exception of the Pro-shop where I checked in. The man behind the counter barely took the time to acknowledge my existence as he was in conversations with another man who was also behind the counter (not a customer). I had already paid online so I was basically checking in to see where to get started. After he spoke to me he basically said there was no tee time crunch for the afternoon and to tee off at my leisure. He immediately began right back into conversation with what might have been a co-worker or friend. I wasn't finished asking for information before he had already turned is back on me in mid conversation. I had to force him yet again after being patient near the desk to acknowledge me. I did not know where to start or even that the course had a starter. Courses in my home area do not typically have starters. At this point I just wanted a score card and a pencil. Once I had inconvenienced him for the info I needed I was on my way to an amazing course. The bag drop employees and the starter were very friendly. There was wildlife on the course every where. I found myself stopping for a moment to take in the scenery and to appreciate all the hard work on the grounds. This is a must course if you're in the area. Can not wait to go back.

"Thoroughly enjoyed this course"

Steve3709753's avatar
Philly Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This was the second course I played during my first trip to Myrtle Beach. The course was in excellent shape, and was as nice as you'd expect it to be. I played a Barefoot Resort course the day prior. This one was better staffed, better organized, and all the staff including the teenagers went out of their way to help and be friendly. Absolutely loved the course.

Pace of play was good all day, but got slow as the round came to a close. I was about the 6th group off for the day. When I was done I could see a lot of backup on the tee boxes which I only experience for 2 holes. Had I been one of those folks I expect my opinion would change as waiting a lot interrupts the flow of the game and I dislike it greatly.

I think one thing I enjoyed about my round was it was a pretty good mix of challenges and hole designs. I am from Pennsylvania so my swing wasn't ready for the challenge and it spanked me pretty good, but I still enjoyed it. Doglegs, island greens or nearly island, although most par 3's were your standard length and got a bit repetitive. some holes had minimal sand, others were framed by them. The waste bunkers got me multiple times. That was a new experience for me. I stunk at them as well.

Lots of tee box choices and in good shape overall. A fair amount of trees and they kept the branches picked up.

The greens ran pretty true, but for some reason I had problems getting in a groove on them. not sure that was them or me, more likely me.

I saw what I think were the local white haired crowd spending more time fetching other peoples balls out of the water than playing, which is a bit irritating when they slowed down play, but what can you do?

No complaints about the course conditions or the challenge. You hit a good shot you can score. If you don't you may or may not recover.

I recommend it, but maybe avoid the most popular times to avoid waiting around. I came from the north so I thought the 'cold' morning start times were just fine.

Nope, I didn't see Arnie but I did see his bronze statue at the front.

"Fun risk reward course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course was an absolute blast to play. Many of the par 5s were reachable in 2 but had greens guarded by sand or water making it all about risk reward. carts had new gps in them and the staff was extremely friendly, a great course to play.

"Excellent layout. Even with carts on the course, there's a lot of walking for seniors."

gboeger's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/4/2013

The course was very nice. My group arrived about 5 minutes before our tee time ( bad online directions) and the staff was rushing us quite a bit.

"great challenge!"

dalmation's avatar
Ontario Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2013

This course is a very challenging course!! super challenging for women. Most often most of the danger is taken out of the course when you play from the front tees or up one set of tees.<br/> course in good shape...greens were a little hard but still playable once you knew how they were going to be.<br/> I would recommend a must play when visiting Myrtle Beach!!

"Beautiful well maintained golf course"

JAMES2337's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/19/2013

What a great golf course. Greens are FAST and a ton of target golf shots to play. Play the blue tees if you are a 15 or less. Whites were too short on the par 3's especially.