Legends Golf & Resort - Heathland Course

3.0196176471 3.0 stars from 5 (14)

• 1500 Legends Dr, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina 29579, Horry County
  • (800) 299-6187, (843) 236-9318
  • www.legendsgolf.com

Year built: 1990
Architect(s): Tom Doak (1990)
Type: Public
Style: Links
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Dress code: Proper attire is required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

"Play Someplace Else"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Arrived 2 hours early. (keep in mind its 94 degrees).

we asked the starter if we could go off early (we were the only ones at the bag drop and thats for 3 courses) he said no.

we checked our bags with him and asked to hit range balls.

oh by the way, the driving range is about 150 yds away.

they would not let us take a cart so we

had to wait 15 min for them to tote us over to driving range. we had to hold our bag on the back of a 6 man golf cart!...in the heat.

be sure and take cash to range to get balls...card reader broke.

we hit balls for about 30 min. couldn't take it anymore because of the heat.

we waited 15 min for a return cart to pick us up and take us back, in the heat!, but unless someone was going to hit range balls they weren't coming back to pick anyone up.

we ended up WALKING back with our bags all that distance and dropped our bags back off with the starter.

keep in mind its 50 yds from starter to club house.

now we walk back to clubhouse to cool off. about 75 golfers come in to the clubhouse from the course all at once and there all comparing scores and going over things...so u know it was some kind of a tournament or outing. we inquire about that with the guy behind the counter but hey says they dont do outings?!?

(im thinking the courses are probably cleared after all these golfers came in all at once)

its about an hour and 45 min now and we walk back to the starter. to our surprise, theres now about 40 golfers waiting. 20 more minutes and we finally are given a cart (AS A TWOSOME) and sent to the first tee.

course looks great as 98% of all myrtle beach courses do.

theres no one to be seen.

EXCEPT FOR.....the mowers!!!!

they mowed around us not stopping for us to tee off. they mowed on our approach shot never stopping and mowed while we putted. AND KEPT MOWING! by the 3rd hole i was ready to head back to the clubhouse to complain when it looked as though they were going elsewhere. i put the flag in and the tractor with the big blower starts going around the green and blows grass all over me, my cart and my clubs! Unbelievable!

we play 4 and rolled up to number 5 and HIT THE WALL! we see 2 sets of foursomes in front of us and for the next 5 hours (in the heat) we waited between 5 and 10 minutes every shot!

it had been a few years since we played there, and we will never go back.

there's too many other courses at myrtle beach to have to put up with what we put up with.

now if i thought it would have done any good i would have complained to someone. from the guys in the pro shop to the starters to even the girls at the bar, they made me feel as though i was a bother. i even said hi to the woman who was a receptionist for the courses and she blew me off.

i just chalked it up to experience and left quietly.

There's 3 courses at "the legends" and from my conversations with others after our rounds, the other 2 courses ( which are started all at the same starter station ) were exactly the same.

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME!

"Change of pace"

Cfreud's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2017

One of the great things about the legends complex is how different the courses are. Parkland is right next to Heathland and they dramatically different. Greens were faster at Heathland and H was wide open, whereas P is tree lined. As always, pace of play isn't great at Lefends, but if you can accept that, you'll have fun. What do you wants for $50 and breakfast, lunch and beverages? Heathland's challenge is your short game. You've got to chip to the correct area of huge greens and putt well. Good fun.

"Solid Legends Course"

Rocco80's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017
First time playing Perfect weather

As usual with Legends courses, great value for price including cart, breakfast, lunch, and two beers. Also was a wide open course, good for taking a guest who has not played in a while. Will be back.

"Boring......"

jmtbkr's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/11/2017

Not particularly challenging course. Boring, actually.

We never experienced a wait on any hole, we set our own pace of play which is typically waaay under 4 hours. We did maintain a visual on the group ahead so they never got away from us. However, the group behind us were running up our butts at every opportunity, although they never hit into us. When we met up with them at a par 3, they said the group behind them were pushing them.

Apparently, the staff at the start pushes as many groups out as they can, as you've read in other reviews.

We still finished our round in 3.75 hours, so why the push????

As for the startng que...... we arrived about 50 minutes before our tee time and were not given one of the many empty carts. We were told they will call us 15 minutes before our tee time. Everyone just sits around with their bags. It was about a 500 yd walk to the range, where i paid $5 for 30 balls. There are two hitting locations but only one was open and it was so packed, people on top of other people, im suprised nobody got hit by a club. The range was not a flat deal with pins placed but a hilly, rolly field. Couldn't tell my distances at all.

Then another 500 yd walk with full bag, back to wait fir our cart/tee time. Our names were called and we were loaded up and immediately told to go. Where???

Follow the signs, they said.

Got to 1st tee box and there were 3 groups ahead of us.........

One more thing. The staff's attitude gave me the impression we were being 'allowed' to play their course.

Won't be back.

"worst customer service ever"

u000005631940's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Worst customer service ever. The greens were punched and nobody ever told us!! We found out on the 1st green. Turns out other 2 courses weren't punched and they didn't tell us! Our cart ran out of batteries. It was awful. It's too bad because I love Doak's golf course, but I'll never go back.

"What Rain??!!"

Robert1491937's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/15/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

Our round started with sunny skies and actually rather nice temperatures for January. Our group had the first tee times of the day, so the pace of play was fine. We did have a 15 to 20 min wait at the turn due to slow play on the back nine. Then, the weather turned. Holes 10 and 11 was a drizzle, the rest was a downpour. The course at first handled the rain very well, but by 16, the weather won. Overall, the course was in great shape. The tee boxes were fine, the fairways full of thick dormant bermuda and the greens were firm and true, with no bad spots to be seen. A very good experience with the golf and all the people involved with the course and resort. Definitely recommended.

"Very Slow Play"

John6880648's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2015

This was my 3rd time playing the Legend courses with two different groups. I played in October 2014, April 2015, and October 2015. I won't go back again due to the very slow play. They pack too many golfers on the courses with no regard to the players as long as the course is making money. Each time I've played the Legends we have had to wait on every hole. We attempted play two rounds and was backed up more than an hour for our second round. Needless to say we didn't finish before dark howedver the course managers didn't care because they had already gotten our money. They offered a rain check however what good is this when you've traveled many miles to get there. They also offered to get us on at the Heritage Course which was about an hour away, what a joke; how was we going to make it there and complete a round if we couldn't complete one at the course we were playing. Overall The Legends was a 3 times "Bad Experience" and they will never get anymore of my money. There are far too many other places to play golf.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Always solid and never disappoints"

714AP2guy's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2014

Have played here and number of times over the years and stayed here on buddies golf trips fantastic Sillinti lots of great options best practice facility in the grand Strand area. Close to lots of amenities and lots of other course options terrific place to make your homebase for your golf trip

"Very Unique"

adam8363963's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Tough course with very some very long par 4s and sucker par 3s. Overall excellent value and experience!!

"The Heathland at the Legends"

jadantfl232's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 9/10/2013

Only the 3rd time I have played this course, but I would play again when we are in the area. We were paired with a very nice 2-some and thoroughly enjoyed our round.

"Great course should ways play if in M"

Patsfan1962's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/2/2013

Great rate Jrs free with adult great track but Golf Now should be updated on greens if they have been punched.

"Not what it used to be"

BostonGolfTraveler's avatar
Boston Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2013
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Remember something you did as a kid that you thought was great then you went back and it was like ehhh. I played the Heathland course many years ago in the old DuPont world am and thought it was awesome but the years have not been kind to this course. The condition was very average this time around and the pace of play was brutal. I would still recommend this course because of the layout and the amazing clubhouse but it's a shame it's not what it was.

"challenging"

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 3/05/2013

played it in early march in cold conditions. the course was in excellent condition considering the time of year.

"This course needs some work"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2012

When I arrived at the Legends I found out that I did not have a tee time and had to play a different course. Although I had my print out from golf now.com and a confirmation number it did not matter the golf pro was very unfriendly and was not accommodating at all. I have been a golf course superintendent for 25 years and that was the worst I have ever been treated at a golf course in my entire life. I will never play the legends again and I will never book through golfnow.com again.