Shaftesbury Glen Golf & Fish Club

Average Rating 4.2 stars from 5

"Not Much PIzazzz"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Course is in very good shape Tee to Green. Nice layout but nothing that jumps out & wows you. Strong Par 3's even though they are all about the same yardage. Hole's #9 & 18 are strong finishing holes. Again nice course but no Pizazzz! With that I would recommend playing here.

"Great course in great condition, despite cold, rainy weather."

MillerOutdoors's avatar
New Hampshire Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

Shaftesbury is a great course. Almost all of the greens are elevated so it plays longert than stated yardage.

Love the course with lots of waste bunkers. Great design. Playable for all if pick the right tee. Greens are bent grass and very quick. 10.5 I'd say. A bit faster than TPC Myrtle Beach, but not quite as perfect. Still rolled nicely. You do see a large amount of old cups. More than usual. They must change hole positions a ton. They putt great though. I'd give the greens a 9 overall. Fairways a 9. Sand traps were a mixed bag, Id rate an 8, some machine raked and some with footprints. Deeper, fluffier sand than other places - use sand wedge with lots of bounce here. Overall a joy to play. Highly recommend.

"Great Value"

CartNinja's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016
First time playing Used cart Average weather

This course is long. The waste bunkers run the course. Elevated Greens are the norm. Fairways were fine. Greens were good. A rainy summer softened greens so they have taken incoming abuse. For the price of a municipal you get a Challenger. If you drive 250 you still have a fairway wood. You feel like you are on a much pricier course. The slope reads 130. This is the length. That is the downside and at the same time the challenge. You find yourself saying "I am not gettiung paid for this, I wish I was a senior". Cart Paths are perfect and edged. That tells you a lot about conditions.

"Course was too wet...probably should not have played"

rkimbrell's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Played this course in Day 3 of the 2015 Myrtle Beach World Amateur. We probably should not have even been on the course, it was that soggy but it was a tournament so we played. Have played Shaftesbury numerous times. MB had gotten a lot of tropical rain and Shaftesbury was terribly wet. Balls plugging in the fairway and on the greens. We played Lift Clean and Place everywhere unfortunately. In good weather Shaftesbury has very good greens but you could tell after a couple of days tournament play, these greens were getting beat up. Again, we probably should not have played. In good weather, Shaftesbury is great. Elevated greens makes the green complexes tough. Huge bunkers by the greens. Course is generously wide.

"Wide Fairways here."

JackStraw6's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

And you'll need your long irons too.Every green is well guarded by bunkers so you'll need to fly the greens also. Bent grass greens(starter told me that, but it makes me sound like I know what I'm talking about) and they roll a little slower.Course was a little wet so it played a little longer. A true test of your game and I would definitely come back. Also, remember, you're at sea level so you'll need one more club.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Long - even from the gold tees"

cigarsmkr1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2015
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I had always heard good things about Shaftesbury Glen, and now after playing it, will confirm what I heard from other golfers: it is worth the effort to get there. SG is a little off the beaten path on 905 so if you're heading down SC Hwy 9S, it's a great stop on your way down or if you're heading home from Myrtle Beach. You can also get to SG from 501N travelling through Conway, so it's easily accessible.

Daniel helped us in the Pro Shop - very personable young fellow. Mark was our cart guy/starter. Mark sent us to No. 1 tee. The 4 guys on the tee were waiting for the group in the fairway to hit and when those gentleman started for the green, the group on the tee hit - at least 2 of them did. The other 2 guys took 1 and 2 mulligans respectively. Even one of their playing partners looked back to us as if to say, "Guys, it is what it is." (in a humorous fashion) As an aside, one of the guys hit 2 tee balls down on the ground that rolled 10 feet to the left the exact same way - better than a trick shot artist. Anyway, one of the boys in our group went back to Mark and asked if we could go to 10 tee; he obliged. This made the start of the round more enjoyable - we appreciated his help. ALL the greens at SG are elevated so if that is not your thing, just be aware of it. It proved to be no more of a challenge than if they were not. The course was in fantastic shape - a lot of variety and not too penal due to most of the fairways having some width. BUT if you stray into the woods, there is little chance of you finding your ball and if you see it, there are thorns. Interestingly enough, a five-some appeared behind us after we had played 2 holes. They seemed to be at a track meet time trial. We never help them up (we turned in 1'45") but we felt somewhat rushed - it was weird.
Be aware that the course appears to play longer than what you will see on the scorecard from each set of tees. We played from the gold and it was more than enough length.
If you've given thought to playing SG, go for it.

"Nice course, great staff"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I called for a reservation. The manager gave me a rate and told me he could get me on when I wanted. When I arrived, the lot was mostly empty. It was nearly 90 degrees, which probably scared people away. The manager ended up giving me the 'local' rate, awesome! I hit the range and putted for a while. I tee'd off and never stopped. I played 18 holes in 2-1/2 hours. The course was in great shape. The greens were a bit slow. They were being prepared for airation. The fairways were wide, not too tight. Water around,but never really in play. Good course to score on. I would definitely play again.

"Wide Open and Out in the Boonies"

Bobemac's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Driving to this course for an early AM tee time you realize that there's nothing else around and that you are really out in the Boondocks.
John is a friendly guy who works in the pro shop and he was interesting to talk to.
We had the earliest tee time on the sheet and my BW was at the cart while I was inside. A gnarly little fellow named "Bobby" had decided that he would rearrange things and put us behind two threesomes. When I saw what he had tried to do, I had the starter put us back in front. We usually play 18 in less than 3 hours and would be waiting all morning.
This "Bobby" who was one of their starters proceeded to throw a tantrum. As it turned out we finished the front nine in an hour and ten minutes and we never saw any of those threesomes again. When we started to play hole #10 "Bobby" showed up and rudely told us we would have to wait for four foursomes to tee off before we could hit.
"Bobby" is rude and a poor representative for this operation.
The course itself has nicely manicured fairways and pristine greens. The fairways are very open and wide with no trouble in front of you.
The greens are all elevated with narrow entry to the nice putting surface, so you do have to fly the traps on your approach.
The design here is rather monotonous as it has straight fairways and big elevated greens throughout. Water only comes into play if you are a bad hooker as most water is left.

The concept of double booking is common in Myrtle Beach. During their many peak seasons here, the local clubs will book full tee times on all eighteen or twenty-seven holes. This maximizes the revenue for the courses but nullifies any fast play and enjoyment. If you enjoy tedious five-hour rounds then Myrtle Beach is the place for you. I have not seen this "double booking" in Texas or Hawaii where I play lots of golf.

"Best Greens on the beach"

asnead12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Good weather

This course is a lot of fun to play. You can swing away off the tee , but you better have a good approach shot or you will pay. The greens are one of the few Bent greens left on the beach and are the best i have played . What a great track!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Best Greens in Myrtle Beach"

jjhitman44's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

A great course, the best greens in Myrtle Beach that I have played. A fun layout, great for groups of ranging abilities. Staff was very friendly, made me feel welcome. Favorite hole was the par 3 8th, pictured on the site, make sure to take an extra club. Would highly recommend the course.

"Wide open but WET!!!"

jmc1958's avatar
Cleveland Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/13/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Wide open course with elevated bent grass greens and numerous bunkers. We played two days after it rained. It was cart path only, and realistically it was so wet that the course should have been closed. The starter said the course is usually wet four days after a rain. I seem to find that problem more and more here in the MB area with courses. I personally don't understand how an area with a sand based soil cannot get golf courses to drain better than they do. Maybe in their hurry and in a cost saving mode to build all the courses that they have down here, they skimped on the drain tiles. Would love to play this course when it is dry. so the ball would bounce and roll, instead of plugging. Great layout, just watch the weather forecast before booking your tee time.

Quality of food & beverage: Average