Bear's Best Golf Course

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Jack Nicklaus
Type: Resort

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Paul Wilson Golf School"

Tees

Average Rating 4.0 stars from 5
Overall Condition: 4.1 stars from 5
Food & Beverage: 3.9 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers forced carries undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Hard to exceed expecations - but they did"

ecpoirier's avatar
Age: 35-44

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/18/2014

Golf Vacation - Day 3 of 3
It's pure coincidence that we "saved the best for last" during our first trip to Vegas.

Starting from the top, the greeting from the bag staff was welcoming, the pro shop staff were outstanding, and the starter incredibly helpful by giving us a complete run down of how the cart gps worked (with Jack's hole-by-hole tips and flyovers).

The experience I had here was so outstanding that even though a flight from my house is 4.5 hs and covers 3 time zones, if 3 buddies wanted to take a weekend getaway to play this course, I would join them without hesitation.

Pros:
> Staff professionalism from top to bottom, start to finish.
> Cool technology on cart gps. No reason to ever guess on yardages or which club to use.
> Swag. Free tees, free water bottles in ice cooler on cart, free ball repair tool, free yardage book (as a souvenir).
> Course conditions and challenges
> Breathtaking scenery. Not just nature, but the homes surrounding the course are located in a gated community and are stunning.
> Reasonable ProShop prices. Purchased a Bear's Best club towel for $20. It will be attached to my bag every time I play for the next 20 years (unless someone steals it)

Cons:
> I know I said the staff was perfect, but the first time the cart girl drove by I attempted to tell her that she might want to inform the maintenance crew that someone in front of us isn't raking the bunkers after use. It makes the course looks bad. Her attitude was that of - that's not my job, I don't care, save your breath...unless you want to buy something.
> Carts are not allowed in parking lot, so you may have a long walk after a 4 hr round out to your car, with your clubs on your back.

Player Tip: Stop and take in the breathtaking views.

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Jack's favorite holes; challenging."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in very good condition. You want to keep your drives in the fairway. Wiry rough or in the desert if you miss the fairway and the rough. Wayward shots to the fairway or green can definitely find bunkers. Greens were rolling fairly fast; in great condition.

Course Difficulty: Extremely Challenging

"Very nice course"

jaltman326's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/09/2014

We played an afternoon round which probably explains the slow play the course is in great shape and would recommend it.

"great track"

jakelasley's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2014

Great layout. Very customer oriented. Great shots are rewarded. Greens are receptive.

"# 1 in my book"

Wiencek4's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/01/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This was a great course. I would recommend this course as #1 choice for anyone who goes to Las Vegas. It was well maintained, beautiful scenery, very helpful staff, and a great time.

I will be back in February.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Excellent

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"LV BB"

MrZ1R's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I chose this course due it close proximity of my hotel, i was pleasantly surprised when I arrived.

Nice fairways and greens.

I had to use my driver, which make me uncomfortable, since i normally need a 3 wood, that's what i get for choosing the back tee.

Had a good round shot an 82

"Nice Challenging Course"

808mlee's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/29/2014

Course was very nice. Greens were a bit soft and held a lot of water. Caused a lot of deep footprints which made putting a bit difficult. But overall they were in good shape. Rough around the greens were a bit tough but other than that it was a challenging round.

"Unfortunate Timing"

parnal's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/28/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

We arrived at the course got checked in and everything was great. Only when the starter called us did we find out it was cart path only due to overseeding a few weeks earlier (this should be posted on their website). Pace of play was slow as a result and I hate cart path only. The beverage cart girl was short and curt and clearly was not working for tips. Greens weerre extremely slow. To top it off this is the second time I have golfed this course and both times someone backed into my rental car. Very disappointing.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Fair

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"Nice layout holes"

GordonN's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2014

Tee boxes weren't mane cured , fairways had bare spots but the greens were nice.
The guy at the pro shop wasn't friendly at all. But the starter was, and informative.

Overall Condition: Average

"Mediocre conditions at best"

philipw's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2014

Of course the layout of The holes are very impressive, but there it stops.
Tee boxes were not manicured, fairways with lots of bold spots and greens with many divot spots.
We were very pleased with The starter who gave away divot tools, not only for us but also to give to Friends later. They hand them to all players, but they should have included a short course on how to USE them. We played in the afternoon and the greens very filled with divot holes. I stoppend repairing after 5 per hole.
The biggest embarrassment came at the nineteenth. Bar closed (6.15 pm) and no towels in the lockerrooms. In the ladies there was not even a shower. Clearly not a course meant for visitors.
Also the greenkeeper kept spoeling the first there greens for us with watering, Just ahead of us. Have They never learned to work against the directionele of play?
All in all very sad to give such a negative review, but we have played on much better courses this holiday for far less money.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

Overall Condition: Poor

"Great condition"

tunkie's avatar
Age: 65+

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2014

Fairways and greens are in great shape. Fantastic views of the mountains. Homes surrounding the course are some of the best in Vegas.

Overall Condition: Good

"Pay attention before booking"

ASU2011's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2014

I played this course and got it for a great price by booking online. I know that this is a high end course so when I saw that the rate was so low I called and spoke to the pro shop, they informed me that the rate was low do to the course getting prepared for overseeding. I wish golf now would have mentioned it but for the price, you cant beat it. I think a few reviews slamming the course conditions are pretty unfair, just because those players were too uninformed to call and ask why the rate was so low, the course should not suffer by getting a poor review. I think the lay out was great and will be back, in the spring.

FWIW, I played several rounds in vegas during my stay that week, and all of the courses were preparing for maintenance. Pay attention people, it will save you frustration in the long run.

Course Difficulty: Extremely Challenging

"Dry as a ROCK"

airchewy's avatar
Gender: Female
Skill: Beginner
Handicap: 20-24

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

First of all it was a $37 cab ride from the strip so even though it seems close it wasn't. Second i don't know if it was typical but the fairways were TERRIBLE. they were hard, the grass seemed dead and it was just awful. Wish I wouldn't have gone here with all the other options in Vegas.

Overall Condition: Poor

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Great day- just wished I knew!"

Jterando's avatar
Plays: Once a month

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

This is a really beautiful area and the homes surrounding the course area almost worth the admission for the great architecture . The course was great fun, except GolfNow duck not have any mention of the reseeding of the fairways. This is the only reason I did not give this a better course condition rating. If you play from the Whites it's a fun course and only slightly challenging. If you move back to the Blues or holds you had better bring your A game. You will need to fly 200+ just to get to the rough and 230 or more on some holes to get to the begins of the fairway. It jumps from 6100 to 6700 to Over 7000 respectively and the natural terrain comes into play more at each tee box. Overall a really great day and if the fairways were back in shape, worth the trip out to play.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Excellent

"Play elsewhere"

dixoncider21's avatar
Handicap: 0-4

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2014

First off we were running <5 minutes behind our tee time so I called 30 mins in advance and they pushed our tee time back an hour and 20 mins. Common sense would say to let the group behind us go in our place and we would take their slot, not the case. So we ate breakfast (delicious and priced appropriately), then hit balls for 30 mins and putted for another 30 mins. Get to the first tee and looking at the fairway, I couldn't tell what was fairway and what was goose droppings. After hitting our tee shots safely to the fairway, we realize its not goose droppings, but they've slitseeded the fairway (bizarre because this wasn't mentioned when I made the tee time) Front 9 is all desert golf. If you don't like desert golf, don't play here. The back 9 is a bit more foregiving, but you need to be deadly accurate on the tees on the front 9. Ended up not using driver/3 wood at all on any holes on the front for fear of wasting hours looking for lost balls in the desert. Back 9 we were told to call for a cab on hole 17, we called on 16 just to make sure it was waiting for us when we got there. Maintenance crews were out on holes 16-18 blowing dry grass all over the place, not what you expect for $130. Finish our round and pro shop guy says he's been there for an hour and no one from our group called for a taxi. Ridiculous from start to finish and to top it off, this course looked NOTHING like the pictures shown or the flyover. Will not be back and I do not recommend this course. Pro shop guy said normal rate is $230, there is no way this course is worth half that rate. Based on the flyover, its obvious Jack built this course and never went back.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Fair

Overall Condition: Fair

"nice"

u000001989884's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2014

One of the best lay outs I played I highly recommend it if your in Vegas

"Good Value"

ChrisLarson's avatar
Age: 55-64

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2014

Very nice course consisting of 18 of Nicklaus' designed holes. 20 minute drive from the strip. Excellent price from GolfNow. I will definitely play again.

"Challenging fun"

rpena007's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2014

Beautifully maintained. Tough but fun to play. Greens were just the right speed with the hole position that invited trouble. Good practice for course management.

"Challenging, entertaining round."

rjanzen's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Verified Purchaser

Loved it....will play again on next visit!! Did not particularly like the thin, black sand bunkers...will handle them better next time. Great course!!

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Fair way condition is okay"

hirishikawa601's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/11/2014

Staff is very good but fairway condition is not excellent