Bear's Best Golf Course

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Jack Nicklaus
Type: Resort

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Paul Wilson Golf School"

Tees

Average Rating 4.0 stars from 5
Overall Condition: 4.0 stars from 5
Food & Beverage: 3.9 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers forced carries elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Amazing layout, beautiful course, could be 5 stars with maintenance"

calebkim's avatar
Age: 35-44
Gender: Female

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2015

One of the best layouts in vegas. Very different and interesting holes throughout the course. If green maintenance were improved, it could be worth the rack rates. If you get a deal under $100, it's definitely worth playing. Now with Golfnow no longer rebating fees, you best check their website and book there if rates are the same.

The Good:
- Great layout (I think better than TPC, which I rank up there in Vegas) with different/interesting holes
- Fairway was in immaculate shape
- I actually like how they let the rough go yellow...the contrast with the dark green fairways adds to the visual
- Staff was friendly. Food was good.
- Pace of play was good when I went b/c we were a 3-some behind a bunch of 3-somes. Bag attendants acknowledged it could get bad at times.

The Bad:
- Greens look beat up, no better visually than a muni. You could tell it gets a lot of play, and play from people that are probably novices - a lot of unrepaired ball marks. Given the bad look of the greens, they actually rolled okay. I think even cutting it down so that it rolls faster would have helped, but it was a bit on the slower side.
- Bunkers were in decent good shape overall, but some bunkers were very thin and many had a lot of small rocks in it. They spent some money to repair from what I hear and I hear it was very thin/bad not too long ago.

Overall Condition: Good

"Not sure what to think about it"

StevenHarvey's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2015

The bad: First I will start with the food. It was AWFUL. Me nor my partner could even get threw half of our sandwiches (roast beef, and turkey bacon). Second, I only needed a putter to rent and they charged me $50, (almost more then what I booked for on golfnow). The cab ride to and from the strip was $100. Our cart died on hole 12 and the computer system on the cart wouldn't work to get a new cart out to us (had to push it up the hills until new cart arrived).
The good: we got paired with 2 really cool guys that helped us with the course. Lots of neat holes, with some really cool houses and views. I thought it was in pretty good shape for being February.
Steve

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

Overall Condition: Average

"Wonderful experience"

u000002119186's avatar
Age: 55-64
Handicap: 15-19

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2015

I am a solid 15 handicap. I played up on the white boxes. It made the course manageable and fun. The course is layed out very well and is very challenging. It was worth the $50 cab ride from the strip. I would definitely play this course again and again.

"Excekkrnt"

Connor0044's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2015

Great course and great experience. It is challenging, but very fun!

"Great course"

bryanboam's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2015

Very interesting course. Not a typical layout. I liked reading about where each hole was from. Don't miss the website flyover and commentary from the Golden Bear.

"Nice course"

Milton6898594's avatar
Gender: Female

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2015

I lucked up and was able to book a tee time on golf now for $40.00. The practice facilities and golf course were in great shape and the staff was pleasure. My only complaints were that the pace of play was slow and the green fees a little high.

"Overall"

Bohsedie's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Excellent golf club & course, very nice staff ...!
I was lucky because I got a very, very special green fee at 10:40 for $ 45,00 instead of $ 159,00 ....!!!!
For $ 159,00 the course is overrated ..!
! would play the course again, but never for $ 159,00 ...!

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"Bears Okay"

beaudurkee's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2015

I expected better from the reviews and the cost. Pros first, close to town, good service, challenging course, interesting mix of holes that made for a enjoyable enough day. Cons, many greens were suffering from overplay, lots of noise from surrounding construction, didn't have the atmosphere of a fine golf course. Felt more like a munie... for a lot more money. Played Coyote Springs the day before, another Nicklaus design, twice the course for half the price.

"The name says it all"

svharmon's avatar
Handicap: 15-19

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

First time playing this course and quite a few of the holes provide a real challenge. Starting with the first hole you get a sense what your day is going to be like...with it's water trouble down the left and waste land on the right, the green is small with bunkers all around.

"Terribly Slow"

Angelahenderson's avatar
Handicap: 10-14

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2015

Play all over the country and never have seen the lack of marshaling (none) with tee times booked tight. Greens were in poor condition, fairways ok. Paid for 18 holes but we were only able to finish 15 before dark. Actually played #14 in the dark. 4 1/2 hour pace is too slow for golfnow.com.

Overall Condition: Fair

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"My favorite course in Vegas"

ASU2011's avatar
Age: 25-34
Handicap: 0-4

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I paid a low rate for an afternoon tee time, but knowing it gets dark at 5pm this time of year I was not expecting to get done. The course is in great shape for winter conditions, but that was expected as its winter, too bad others who expect Augusta National confitions cannot grasp that concept when rating facilities on here, I wish players would fix ball marks, i noticed many and fixed way more than my share but I was just happy to be out on the links for an afternoon.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

Overall Condition: Fair

"Bears Best Las Vegas"

Glen8738938's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2015

Overall I enjoyed the course. The round was slow and the Course grouped me in with a Shot Gun Start Group tourney without advising me in advance, which contributed to the very slow pace of play. However otherwise I would say the course was well maintained, and staff & service personnel were very good & easy to deal with. I would definitely recommend the course to others playing in the LV, NV area.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Fair

"Not nice."

pizzo777's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/28/2015

They had a golf torney before my time . I HAD to wait on golf carts.Also they were watering the greens in front of the holes i had left on back nine.

"What an Experience!"

GolfLeeS's avatar
Handicap: 25+

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

It was really a treat to play holes from 18 different courses from around the world without having to leave the course. I'm a long time golfer that has never gotten real good, but love to play the game. Bunkers on the back 9 were under repair, but who cares. Had a great time event finishing right at dark and in a slight drizzle.

"A fun change of pace"

Dennis9426780's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2015

Playing the best holes of Jack's courses in the West is a great break from monotony. Each hole is a new challenge. Playing in late January, we expected a slow pace, but making the turn and having five groups on ten was ridiculous. It took over 4.5 hours to get in the round and the last two holes were by feel in the dark.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Fair

"Bunkers under repair"

fcpncgc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Many of the bunkers were under repair (undisclosed until I arrived at the course), and pace of play was slow. Those elements aside, the course is fantastic! I look forward to playing again when the maintenance is complete and the weather has warmed a bit.

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Birdied first hole which set tone for a very good day!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/10/2015

Enjoyed our first round at Bear's Best in mid January! Got a great rate for a Saturday afternoon at 1 PM and was able to finish the last hole right before it was too dark to play at around 5 PM. Loved the layout and felt it was a great challenge from the tips. Several of the greens had been patched but I felt they rolled pretty good all things considered. There was something strange going on with several bunkers on the back side. Lots of gravel instead of sand. Still can't figure out what they were trying to do but they warned us before we started and suggested we take a free drop. The problem was some people had hit out of the gravel which left a bunch of pebbles on the greens.

Didn't love the driving range for two reasons...1) the balls were low quality and pretty warn and 2) the distances to the target greens were not easy to determine.

Would play again especially for the great rate we paid.

Course Difficulty: Extremely Challenging

"Back 9 holes under construction"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/10/2015

There should be requirements for golf courses to divulge information concerning course condition, ie. bunkers under construction, fairways under repair,greens and so on. I loved using Golf while on my vacation, however, courses aren't always honest in there presentation.

Overall Condition: Average

"Great course, greens needed some love"

Michael5397701's avatar
Handicap: 10-14

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2015

Overall a nice track, quality layout and course design. Great views as well! Unfortunately the overall condition of the greens wasn't very good, not sure if it's just the time of year or if they're limited on water use but they were fairly brown and beat up.. We played Dragon Ridge the following day and the course conditions were far superior, they use reclaimed water so probably have unlimited water use. Would like to play here again when it warms up a bit, maybe the greens would be nicer.

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Great Course - Must Re-Play"

TJ9364237's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2014

Beautiful Course! I wish I knew all of Jack's courses. I Would have appreciated the significance of each hole better.

That said, the course was beautiful!!!

The greens were winter bumpy, but playable enough for January golf.

Got a great Non-resident Golf Now deal!
A must-replay!!!