Bear's Best Golf Course

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Jack Nicklaus
Type: Resort

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Paul Wilson Golf School"

Tees

Average Rating 4.0 stars from 5
Overall Condition: 4.0 stars from 5
Food & Beverage: 3.9 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers forced carries elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Bears Best Was Not Best"

Hawkeyekc69's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2015

Course was rough from a lack of watering in places and greens were over seeded which resulted in a round that was not that memorable. I have been putting on nice greens all week and this was a mess. Wish I would have picked another course.

"Greens just Aerated"

ASU2011's avatar
Age: 25-34

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I got a good deal for a round at 1210pm, showed up early and the guy in the shop was nice enough to let me out early. Greens were just punched and sanded but the rest of the course was in good shape. I cant complain I got a reduce rate due to the aerification. Clubhouse bathroom could use some attention

Overall Condition: Fair

"Bears Best first timer"

Mankoviak's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2015

We had heard so much about the course, we had to play it on May 16. The views were as good as advertised, but the greens were slow and bumpy, and the pace of play was not good. For a top notch course, there was not a ranger to be seen. A very slow foursome in front of us made our first nine a 2 and a half hour experience. We passed them on the turn, and played the back in 2 hours. We did get a good price, but overall it was just too slow.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Fair

Quality of food & beverage: Average

Overall Condition: Average

"First time a Bear's Best"

Handicap: 15-19

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course certainly had the feeling of a championship caliber course as opposed to Bali Hai which I would call a resort course. Everything was big, the fairways, the bunkers, and the greens.

The first 2-3 holes were ok, but they from there it got really nice. There were several times throughout the round where I had to pause to look at the scenery, particularly on the back 9-it was really stunning.

Was in great shape and definitely worth it (we got a good deal on Golf Now.)

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Beautiful Track"

nickolasha's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Booked a hot deal here at Bear's Best Las Vegas on GolfNow for $65 for a Sunday mid-day tee time. Upon entering the facility, I was greeted by an attendant at the parking lot who took care of my golf bag while I checked in at the pro shop. Not much to complain about the staff inside the pro shop..they were welcoming, checked me in, and went back about their business. By the time I was done checking in, my clubs were loaded onto a cart and waiting for me out back at the driving range. A grass driving range is a big plus. They had a chipping green and putting green as well. The starter was happy to get us out early as there were no groups set to tee off before us. The course played very fair. Lots of great scoring chances. The beverage cart girls were wonderful as well. Always had a bright smile on their faces whenever they came around and very welcoming to conversation. We finished our round within a leisurely 4 hours, only catching up to the two-some in front of us at the 16th. The greens could have been in better shape and a little faster, but they were rolling fine in my opinion (made 3 birdies and an eagle during my round). Not sure I would pay the standard rack rate to play here, but overall a great experience, great course, and would definitely come back for the right price.

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"Loved the course, but the greens are in poor condition"

Handicap: 20-24

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

We loved the course layout, but we were disappointed with the greens. The greens are in poor condition. We hope that the owner(s) invest in the greens which will upgrade the course immensely and will cause us to return here to play again.

"fantastic course"

Simp777's avatar
Age: 45-54
Handicap: Don't know

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2015

Wow this was a real golfers course with some tough holes,front 9 was more challenging than the back 9 I personally loved it and would recommend it to any quality golfer worth s visit

"Great get away"

redyns's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Sweet course, great views. Loved every minute of it.

"Jack's Best"

pargreg's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I have played 6 courses by Jack, this one is typical with his design concepts. Choose a tee box that meets your skill level.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Average

"Awesome golf course"

None's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Excellent condition, tee boxes, fairways and greens were in very good condition

Course Difficulty: Fairly Easy

"Best part of the Day was the WEATHER"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

4 of us from StL came to Vegas and played 3 courses. This was the last one and a blessing because it was the worst. Staff seemed as though we were "bothering" them, and never once did we see a Marshall even though we called for him due to slow play. Started out on hole 1, took us 45 minutes to reach hole 3 due to back up/slowness. We literally watched a foursome, 1 of the 2 ladies hit 3 different balls on a hole and we left. Ridiculous for the price and we will not boast nor recommend.

Quality of food & beverage: Poor

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"Need improvement for the money - absurd trap conditions"

scottro1's avatar
Age: 45-54
Gender: Female

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2015

Too much hype about this course, especially for the cost to play. The Greens and fairways were great, but did notice a lot of weeks, around tees, etc. Seems like maintenance in some areas, has taken a back seat. What I really disliked about the course was the condition of the traps. Only ended in about 4 throughout the round, but they are not acceptable. I cant imagine the "Bear" approves of this condition. It is hard panned with about 1/4 inch of sand on top. This week, I played TPC Las Vegas, Spanish Trails, and Royal Links. Their traps were much better. It is called a "Sand Trap", for a reason.

"Beautiful Course"

dbacon1964's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2015

The course was challenging and scenery was beautiful. Course condition was good, however some of the greens were a little rough. The club house and restaurant were very nice. Staff was very helpful and courteous. The cart girls were very attentive and timely. My only complaint would be the pace of play being very slow. We had several holes where we were three groups deep.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Fair

"Slow play"

SpartyMilty's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2015

Pace of play was very bad and the greens were not what I expected. The speed of the greens was very slow(maybe an 8 on stimp) and it looked like they had to redid parts of several greens.

18 Hole Pace of Play: Poor

"Phonemenal Layout but Bad / Slow Greens"

Mike8005057's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2015

Jack would be very disappointed with the greens. We played 6 courses and these greens were the slowest and in the worst shape. On scale of 10, a 4. Layout was fantastic - Spectacular. We needed to rent just a driver for one of our players whose driver broke on airline. Jose in the Pro Shop was not interested in finding him one. Said he has no demos. Not friendly. We teed off at 3PM. Started was very nice. Unfortunately, there was no marshall and we finished in the dark because of a 5.3 hour round. If the greens were fixed and the staff in the Pro Shop was more customer focused this course would be outstanding. The layout is spectacular!

"Good course"

Tim1371314's avatar
Handicap: 20-24

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2015

Really like the course. Staff was friendly. Greens were not in the best of shape.

"Choose the right tees"

livelarge's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2015

This course was in great condition. It is important to pick the correct tees to hit from. I would recommend this to anyone going to Vegas.

"Great cart guys"

Icemanboyd's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Good weather Verified Purchaser

Bears Best is so much fun to play and the staff is great.

i had left my clubs overnight on accident and they had them tagged and waiting for me when i got them the next day.

great food, great rates sometimes, great course, greens not the best but not the worst

"Glorious"

ChiChiBarajas's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2015

Very Challenging course, makes you think, and you have to hit some spots. Had a few holes that you need to back off on the big dog if you are 280 plus. I did not anticipate the ball going 300 plus on a few holes and it ran out into the desert, leaving me a 30-90 yard shot from the hard sandy dirt in front of a few holes. Greens ran very well, you must read the grain and where The Las Vegas Strip is at, ball will move towards the strip and stop quickly going opposite of the strip. Greens didn't hold very well, making it even more challenging but the fairways where glorious as the ball jumped off the club about an extra 10-15 yards. I gave the wind a the lake on the first hole to much credit and I had a triple on the first hole, backed it up with a birdie, and finished the round with an 80. Over all a glorious round.

"Bears best"

Justincanada1990's avatar
Skill: Beginner

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2015

Staff was pretty helpful/nice I never ate at restaraunt but looked intriguing, practice facilities top notch and it's fun course from the back tees