The Duke at Rancho El Dorado

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Dress code: Collared shirt, no cutoffs, denim ok.

Silver 72 5914 yards 67.5 110
Silver (W) 72 5914 yards 73.5 124
Copper 72 5136 yards 68.7 114

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals seniors advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Nice conditions for August"

uCTJN1663CT's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2017

Arrived early and was let out on the course right away.

Had to play back nine twice due to Monsoon rain flood damage .

3 hrs and 15 mins

Conditions were excellent

"Not A Good Experience"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017

Unfortunately, when we drove to the golf course we found out the front 9 was closed due to flooding and the driving range was closed. Many carts were backed up waiting to get on the back 9 and some making the turn to go again. It was not a good experience. We waited and waited. People were upset, cancelling, etc... The course would not work with us in rescheduling or any other options. We finally just left and never played. I know the flooding could not be helped but, they could have made rescheduled rounds for people. The course staff was not willing to look at any options. So, never got to play and will not be going back.

golf65tr's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2017

"Close to home"

hvac1gr12345's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I've played here 40 plus times and it is always a challenge in some respect.After the rains last month the fairways are decent but you have to stay in them and avoid the wash areas. The greens still need a few more weeks after being punched last month but not bad.A little slow but that's my fault for not adjusting!

Overall its a nice trac and fun to play and well worth the drive if you live outside of Maricopa.

"On the upswing… Worth another look especially if you haven't played it in the last couple of years"

Mnorton28117's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2017

First, a little background. I was a Rancho El Dorado resident for seven years and played this course extensively from 2003 through 2009. Today was the first day back after seven years. I had read the reviews and for $23 I decided to take a flyer on playing an old friend.

When I arrive the cart attendant greeted me and handle my golf bag with efficiency. The practice range, once in pristine condition, needed some serious work. The reviews stating that the driving range was an open field with some bare spots and some weeds was spot on. The practice putting green and chipping areas were little bumpy and not as well-maintained as I had remembered. With that said, I have to be fair and say that they have had some heavy rain the evening before. However I think the practice area is a big opportunity and I think the Duke management knows this based on the responses to previous reviews. I was definitely underwhelmed with the practice conditions and hoping that I had not made a mistake.

We get out to the course and the conditions are better. The tee boxes were definitely a little long based on the rain and not being cut, but were in good to very good condition. I could clearly differentiate fairway from rough. Did the fairways look like pinstripe carpet and did the greens roll like pool tables? No, but the fairways did provide good roll on well-struck tee shots which was a nice surprise to both myself and my playing partner given the rain. The greens have been punched about two weeks ago and were still bumpy and slow, but a good rolling and some manicuring over the next week or two will have these rolling in fine shape. Overall, if the course Dries out and gets a little TLC from the maintenance crew, you will see a very serviceable course especially during the summertime. Most of the bunkers for hardpan or washed out due to the rain, so they get a pass on those conditions. My friend and I teed off at 6:36 and were done playing in three hours so A+ on the pace of play.

After play my friend and I went in and had breakfast at the Silverspur grill… Five star experience. The waitress we had was very nice and attentive, the food was excellent, and the bill reasonably priced. Definitely leave yourself some time for either breakfast or Lunch.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the Duke given the number of times I have played there in the past. I've seen the reviews over the past two or three years about the course going downhill. I would recommend those that have not been there in the past couple of years to give the Duke another chance after the course dries out and gets some more targeted TLC by rolling and cutting the greens. I think if they have a really good over seed, then that could get the duke back to its former glory of being one of the best golfing values in the valley. I think they can get there and so does my golfing buddy. So much so that he bought a Duke card before we left.

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 07/31/2017:

Thanks, Mnorton for the great 4-star review of The Duke at Rancho El Dorado. It is great to hear our staff took such great care of you and your guests and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"The Duke"

Fred7028126's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2017

Pleasantly surprised, had not played the course in a couple years due to it being not maintained. Course was in decent shape, actually better than the Raven in Phoenix which I played the week before.

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 08/01/2017:

Thanks, Fred for the review and feedback of our golf course. We are working hard to get the course back up to par and we hope you will come back and see us again very soon once all the new changes have had a chance to settle in.

dennyyard's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2017

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 08/01/2017:

Thanks dennyyard for the 4-star review and feedback. Please come back and see us again very soon for more of the best golf in Arizona.

"Wide open & in great condition"

drumshtik101's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

The Duke was totally worth the drive down from Scottsdale! My wife and I have been playing all over the valley steadily for the last three weeks and this course was in as good of shape if not better, than the top rated courses!

Don't get me wrong, this course is a very playable track with very wide fairways and not a lot of trouble......but it has decent length from the tips and if it is in this type of condition for the second week in June then I would definitely make the trip down again in the future.........The bunkers could use a little bit of TLC though.

Apparently the course Hired a new maintenance manager a couple months ago......which has helped dramatically according to regulars ......if they put time into the bunkers going forward it will help dramatically.

The open style is great for any intermediate/beginning golfer. Definitely give the course a go for a great relaxing round.

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 06/12/2017:

Thank you drumshtik101 for your 4-star review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments and it is so great to see you think it was worth the drive and you had such a great time here at The Duke at Rancho El Dorado. Come back and see us again very soon!

Mark9356444's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2017

This course very playable and was in remarkable shape. They were top dressing the greens but they still rolled great. This is a course everyone can enjoy. The staff was friendly and very helpful.

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 06/09/2017:

Thanks Mark for your review and feedback of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time and love seeing you enjoyed the course and our staff took such great care of you. Please come back and see us again very soon!

"Too Many Doubles!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2017

I was hoping for the 70's but had to settle for the 80's!

Had a lot of fun and didn't loose any money but I didn't make much either! Course played fairly if you kept it in the fairway but if not ... as usual there were some challenges! Birdies...yes, pars... yes, but too many bogey's and double bogey's! worth the time and money...nice new carts and some new range balls too!!!

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 06/02/2017:

Thank you for your review and 4-stars about our golf course. We love hearing you had a lot of fun and we hope to see you back again!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 06/02/2017:

Thank you for your review and 5-stars about our golf course. We are thrilled you had a good time on the course and we hope to see you back again!

"Enjoyed Playing Here Once Again"

BillHales's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2017

We usually visit Arizona for a two week stint every year and during that time always play The Duke a couple times. The.staff are always cordial and as intermediate level golfers we find the course challenging but not too challenging. Whenever friends are visiting the area we always recommend this course. We will keep coming back.

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 06/02/2017:

Thank you Bill Hales for your review and 4-stars. We are so happy our staff took such good care of you and your guests and we hope to see you back again very soon!

mcardenas's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 06/02/2017:

Thank you mcardenas for your review and 3-stars. We love seeing you had a great time and we hope to see you back again for more of the best of in the area!

Carlyspapa's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 06/02/2017:

Thank you Carlyspapa for your 4-star review and feedback of our golf course. We are thrilled you had a good time and we hope to have you back again soon!

"not bad no one really playing course"

desertgolfer55's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017

played the duke today was in pretty good shape,greens looked ok but had a few bumps in them not bad fairways not again in bad shape no one was playing today and it was perfect weather for the phoenix area for this time of year played in about 3 hours 2nd group off today,staff is great and very freindly

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 06/02/2017:

Thank you desertgolfer55 so much for your 4-star review and feedback of The Duke at Rancho el Dorado. We appreciate you taking the time and love to see you had a fast round and our staff took such great care of you. Come back and see us again soon!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017

Response from The Duke at Rancho El Dorado on 07/31/2017:

Thanks for the fantastic 4-star review of our golf course. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know how we are doing and we hope to see you back again very soon!

"Good Course/Friendly Staff"

dragon678's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/11/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Beautiful day to play this great course. Very friendly staff. Well kept greens and fairways.

Response from The Duke At Rancho El Dorado on 05/16/2017:

Thank you dragon 678 for your review and feedback of our golf course. We are thrilled you had a good time on the course and we hope you will continue to golf with us throughout the season!

"Fun course"

Johnse's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

Good course to play for beginner and intermediate players wide fairways and receptive green. I would have rated the course higher if the greens were not sanded. The balled rolled forever on the fairways which was great for my wife. The best part about this course was lunch at the restaurant. Excellent food and service.

Response from The Duke At Rancho El Dorado Golf Course on 05/12/2017:

Thank you for the 4-star review! We are glad you and your wife enjoyed your round and that you got a chance to try out the restaurant. We look forward to your next visit!

djojenkins's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017

Response from The Duke At Rancho El Dorado Golf Course on 05/12/2017:

Thank you for the 5 stars! We agree--the course is looking great!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

Response from The Duke At Rancho El Dorado Golf Course on 05/12/2017:

Thank you for the 5 stars! Come play again soon!