The Duke at Rancho El Dorado

Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No
GPS: No

Dress code: Collared shirt, no cutoffs, denim ok.

Tees | Layout

Silver 72 5914 yards 67.5 110
Silver (W) 72 5914 yards 73.5 124
Copper 72 5136 yards 68.7 114

Average Rating 3.7 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals seniors advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Nice layout, great staff"

dalekirkland's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/14/2017

Course is nicely laid out pat 3's may be a little difficult for some staff were friendly and helpful good value here!

"Good Value"

jmdeterman's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/08/2017

Have played the Duke several times. The course was in pretty decent shape from tee to green, greens were a bumpy, so you had to be firm with your putts to hold the line. The fairways are generous off the tee. Good course layout. Staff was very friendly and always helpful. Good course for the money.

Reecey's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/05/2017

"Greens could be improved"

lhenzel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2016

Only observation that I have is that the greens are somewhat spotty which doesn't allow for consistent putting, otherwise course is real good overall.

"Easy Track, Poor Greens"

jpmontero's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2016

Course layout was pretty easy with only some water and no blind shots. Fairways were good, but rough was just dormant grass. Greens were in poor shape - bumpy and multiple variants of grass with dead patches. Sand in bunkers was non-existent.

"A decent course at the price"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2016

Just played the Duke for first time in almost 8 months. Greens are a little thin but they hold not badly. A little rough for perfect putting but not bad. Fairways are acceptable, mostly good lies for summer rules. Variety of tee boxes make it as challenging as you want.

"Nice course in mediocre condition"

uEASI2267EA's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/16/2016

Nice cou.se, liked the layout. Greens were bumpy and in generally marginal conditions, otherwise I would have given the course a much better rating.

A long way from Phoenix

Commented on 12/19/2016

Thank you for your honest critique. We are in the process of top dressing this week and should smooth them out. We hope to see you down here at the Duke again.

"Great course"

Ryan7998395's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2016

This was a course that is well maintained, although some greens were yellow they were still very playable and in great shape! Would highly recommend!

Commented on 12/10/2016

Thanks for playing the Duke Golf Club. We appreciated your response, we look forward to having you back at the Duke really soon.

"Great track"

mlwehking's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/29/2016

Great course...solid greens, well maintained, great staff, nice range, chip, putting greens, only slight...they let five some plays!

Commented on 12/01/2016

Thanks for coming out to the Duke, we appreciate your comments and glad you enjoyed your round.

The Duke Staff

"Worst bag service you'll get for the money"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2016

The course itself is in great conditions and is reasonably priced. The poor review is for the consistently rude, untimely service from one of the bag/cart boys. My buddies and I have played this course 5 times over the last 2 months and the same bag boy has been at the bag drop off every time. We pull our car up, bag boys doesn't move, we tell him our tee time, he says you'll be in the two carts all the way over there and then just stands there. When we purchase range balls before the round you're instructed to walk the receipt back out the the bag boy for the bucket of balls. We did this our first time out and a different bag boy grabbed the bucket, filled it with balls and put it in our cart. The 2nd and 3rd time we did this we encountered said bag boy, he pointed to a pile of empty buckets and said the ball are in there, let me get your receipt and walked away. WHAT IS THE POINT OF YOUR JOB?!?! WHY DO YOU COME TO WORK?!?! You dont touch bags, balls, or carts to my knowledge. Not to mention his appearance is anything but professional. He is an older gentleman, always unshaven, moderately overweight, his shirt it has yet to be fully tucked in to his pants that are sagging below his butt with a belt that's two notches two loose. Sad to say, 5 of the 6 of us who have played there over the last 2 months are Gold Card member holders but ultimately, we will most likely not be renewing for 2017 unless the service issues are quickly fixed. There are too many great courses in the Phoenix area to put up with this kind of stuff

Commented on 12/10/2016

Thanks for your response. I want to apology for the less then par service. Please email me so we can discuss the situation further...

dpro@ahwatukeegc.com

"THE ECONO SOUTHERN DUNES"

PETERMUHDE's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/12/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Calling this "the econo-Southern Dunes" is not an insult. I have played Southern Dunes several times now. I can not understand why the price is so high. Maybe they think they can charge extra for the flies and the smell.

This was my first time at the Duke. I am certain I will return--often. This is a very real golf club. The food is fine--and they have a nice promo--it's almost like eating for free--in a nice room. The course is challenging enough for anyone. However- this place was only a surprise to me....everyone already knew what I had just discovered this place is the best value within 60 miles. Come early so you can have time to eat before or after you play.

Commented on 12/01/2016

Thank you for the kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your round and are looking forward to seeing you out here again.

The Duke Staff

"Hostage conditions"

U000006010211's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/10/2016

I like the course, it makes for a nice enjoyable round, not fancy but a good course for average player. But this is not a $79 value, the only reason it survives is because it's 20 miles to a comparable course. For this price I can play Southern Dunes but it is a Really difficult course for higher handicaps.

"Underwhelming"

4puttferrelli's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/07/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course was a drive from the west valley but we came up with cash and made the trip. We waited till overseed was finished and there were no cart path restrictions. The pace of play was slow and we waited on every hole after the turn. The condition was quite the disappointment and was not at all what we expected. Needless to say we will not be returning.

"Duke it out!"

enchilara's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Nice layout! Friendly staff throughout!

The course is still coming out of their over-seeding but the fairways & greens are shaping up nicely! Two nice signature holes, #5 & #18. Plenty of dogleg's to keep you focused on your tee shot placement! Loved the blind tee shot on #9! (played from the tips). Loved the longish par 3's too!

And the greens are filling out nicely too! Running 6-8 in spots. Lot's of subtle undulations!

Definitely a return trip is in line!

Commented on 11/05/2016

Thanks for playing the Duke, and the nice comments. We are working hard to make it better than ever. Please come back and see us soon. Have a great day.

"Wish I'd Known About the High School Tournament"

dhume419's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I made one of my road trips to play this course being as it is about 40 miles south of where I live. The course, course layout and driving range all seemed decent enough, but what I was not aware of is that a high school golf tournament was underway by the time I arrived about 40 minutes before my tee time. I was advised at the pro shop that they were running about 20 minutes behind schedule and the course was full. At this point I have already invested driving time and half a tank of gas in this venture, so I went ahead with paying for the round. As expected, the pace of play was slow. 10 minutes at a tee box was not unusual. The additional problem is that I started off at 2:00 and sun sets at 6:10. Under normal pace of play, I would finish. With the log jam experienced on this day, it was evident halfway thru that this wasn't happening today. I like the course, the conditions are above average and I will probably return to play the course again, but on this day I wish I'd known about the high school tournament.

Commented on 10/25/2016

Thanks for playing The Duke. We appreciate you driving 40 miles to play our course, next time you come down to The Duke please contact me for your tee time. bryong@foothillsgg.com

"Duke is back"

bdnjsmith's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in great shape for this time of the year. I was pleasantly surprised.

Commented on 09/10/2016

Thanks for playing The Duke, we look forward to seeing you again.

"Fun!"

Lisa4546528's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2016

Not a bad course, not enough water stops but overall worthy of $16 but will recommend to friends! :)

Commented on 09/11/2016

Thanks for Playing the Duke, we will look at the situation with the water stations. Hope to see you back soon.

"Pretty 1-Sided"

hardball02's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I've played this course a few times and it's usually a decent course for the cost. I was pretty disappointed that we weren't told prior to our arrival that the front 9 was flooded and we would have to play the back 9 twice. Being that only one side was opened I expected that it would be in better shape than it was. The greens are pretty nasty... It was like putting on a MotoCross track. The greens definitely need to be rolled! It will be a while before I play here again, and most likely won't be recommending this course to anyone for a while. Staff was great! very friendly and got us out as soon as we checked in. Pace of play was excellent considering only one side was opened. Half expected for it to slow WAY down after we made the turn, but was pleasantly surprised that this didn't happen.

Commented on 08/18/2016

We do apologize for front being closed down. We never know when its going to happen and it happened Saturday morning. We try and contact everyone about the situation but miss a few I'm sure. We have been working on the greens over the last month to get ready for overseed and are working to get them back in good rolling condition. Thank you for the comment on the staff and pace of play. Please feel free to contact me if I can help you in anyway next time you want to come out.

Thanks,

stephenr@foothillsgg.com

"Worth The Drive"

Ed3616512's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016

Found a hot deal on Golf Now and am glad I did. Staff was friendly and the starter was awesome, providing a few good tips since this was my first time playing here. Even the maintenance crew were great, as when they saw me they stopped what they were doing until I played through, very appreciated. Fairways were wide and green and not flooded like so many courses in the desert this time of year. The only drawback was the greens had been punched the previous day so they were sandy but still rolled pretty good. Finished in three hours and had a nice lunch in the clubhouse, again excellent food and service. All in all a very enjoyable day, will definitely be back.

Commented on 08/16/2016

On behalf of The Duke we would like to thank you for your comments. We appreciate your business and hope to see you in the future.

"Great Value - Hot Deal"

OUKDE14's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2016

Well, I got a HOT, HOT Deal! Course was great and playing late was cool. Temp was 108 when we finished at 1pm after only a 3 hour round.