Saguaro Course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club

Saguaro 71 6966 yards 72.0 137
Purple 71 6603 yards 70.2 132
Composite (W) 71 5786 yards 72.0 128

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining

Cale2014's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

We played this a day after playing another Coore Crenshaw design, Talking Stick, and although this cost a bit more, it was a HUGE upgrade. The layout was really enjoyable - short par 4s, long par 4s, same with the 3s and 5s. Just a good mix of holes and tee boxes for all skill levels. The condition of the course was nearly perfect, the staff was really great, the views were awesome - it was just a really enjoyable experience. This is one of the best and most enjoyable courses I've ever played - I would love to play it again one day and if anyone is choosing between this and other Scottsdale courses and especially if money is a consideration, just trust me and pay a little extra to play this place, because it's worth it.

"Saguaro one of Arizona's very best"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/15/2016

First off, I've never played a Coore-Crenshaw course I didn't like and this is among their very best. I rated this a notch over the Cholla Course, which I also love, simply because the holes are a little more memorable. They both share the incredible views of the Sonoran Desert and mountains and are impeccably conditioned. Depending on the set of tees you play, it can be incredibly challenging, too, but never boring.

"One of the best public tracks period"

Luckyshank's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/05/2016

Got to do 36 holes on both the Cholla in the morning and the Saguaro in the afternoon. Both tracks have beautiful picturesque views as well as just about perfect course conditions. The facility is top notch from the pro shop/clubhouse to the practice range. Despite the wet morning round, greens still have speed. To me the Cholla plays a little tougher because you must pick your tee shots (target golf) as well as the undulating fairways. The Saguaro to me is a little more forgiving with wider and flatter fairways. Price is a little steep but you definitely get what you pay for.

"Desert golf doesn't get any better"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/01/2016

A few years ago when I first played the Cholla and Saguaro courses at We-Ko-Pa, I curried slight favor towards the Cholla. I don't agree with that anymore at all. I like Cholla, and it is worthy of any area Top 10 list. But the Saguaro is just too good. The pace of play is quicker thanks to the design and more walkable routing (I wouldn't walk Cholla) and the holes roll naturally up and down the landscape. We managed to squeeze in 36 last week in waning twilight. I loved every shot. My favorite holes are the 1st, 8th, 10th, 15th (where I won a closest to the pin -- sorry for bragging but my golf game hasn't had many bright spots lately), but each hole is different. It's truly one of Coore-Crenshaw's best efforts and absolutely worth the jaunt east from Scottsdale.

"Saguaro is a challenge"

YertleTurtle's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Played Saguaro Thursday and Saturday on the 36-hole package.

Saguaro has a lot more grass than Cholla, making you think it will be easier - but there several long par 4s (18 was 490!) and some seriously uphill approach shots. A very interesting layout, much different from Cholla. Great fun to play. The only negative regarding the course is the bunkers, which were firm to the point of being packed dirt. Note that the bunker at the practice area has the very different sand from Cholla. There is no way to prepare for the bunkers on Saguaro.

Two notes for management:

1 - Get a ranger out on weekends. An 8:00 am Saturday round should not take 5 hours on Saguaro. We later quit our afternoon round on Cholla after 3 hours, 10 holes, and views of the drunks in front of us driving across #9 green and hitting wedges off #10 green. Kudos to the staff for issuing a credit for that round.

2 - Get some training for staff or hire some friendlier people. Staff does their job OK, but few seem to enjoy being there or try to make your feel welcome.

The beverage cart ladies were a notable exception.

"staff ruins a great course"

gloose's avatar
Age:  Under 25

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Average weather

The Saguaro course is extremely pretty with great vistas and views Unfortunately, my experience was marred by an extremely unfriendly staff. The man in the pro shop had a grumpy disposition. The cart guy manning the bag drop was extremely rude and made jokes about my diminutive disposition. The range was inexplicably closed and the snack bar was closed despite what the man in the pro shop told me.

"Beautiful Desert Course!"

lmahoney6's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course was absolutely beautiful and a fun course to play! It had some challenging holes but the layout made them interesting. There were 360 degree views from almost every hole of the Arizona desert and mountains. The staff was very friendly. This course can be a bit a pricey but if you are coming from our of town it is definitely worth paying the money. Arizona resident rates is very reasonable.

"One-of-a-kind in Scottsdale"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2016
First time playing Used cart

Few destinations have as many courses as Phoenix-Scottsdale, and yet We-Ko-Pa's Saguaro Course remains in a world of its own. The design team of Coore-Crenshaw laid out this rippling and dramatic course, full of risk-reward holes and gorgeous views, and it's about as fun as a layout the desert can provide. It's not as long as nextdoor Cholla, which is also a little more artificial in shaping compared to Saguaro, but about as fun as it gets. There are some really tough holes, including a few long par 3s and par 4s (and on the windy afternoon we played, was a real beast). But reachable par 5s and drivable par 4s even things out wonderfully. Its' a great match play course, or course for larger groups playing team or skins games.

The overall facility is great, with a huge driving range and a clubhouse with indoor/outdoor seating. Drink prices seemed reasonable as well compared to the higher prices in Scottsdale. All-in-all, it's worth the drive and then some to play one of the best Native American designs in the west.

"Disappointing for the cost"

Babyteeth's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2016

Went with my 3 best golf buddies to play for 4 days in the Phoenix area. Played at the Whirlwind golf club, Southern Dunes, The Wildfiret golf club and then he Saguaro course for my birthday after hearing about how great the course was. The turf grass and greens were great.

The other courses all had GPS on the carts and had good sand on the bunkers.

I can't understand why We-Ko-Pa doesn't have those also. The bunkers are just dirt with lots of small pebbles and not well maintained . The course is rather difficult from the purple tees, so having GPS would be very helpful. For $155.00, I was expecting more.

Commented on 12/02/2016

We-Ko-Pa added GPS to their carts this fall, also have USB outlets.

"Top 5 Courses in Phoenix"

watton77's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I can be rather critical of golf course but this track is terrific. You'll enjoy wide open views of the surrounding Sonoran Desert, Tonto National Forest, and 4 Peaks Mountain (We Ko Pa). Golf holes contain outstanding strategy and difficult scoring conditions. The fairways and greens are always exceptionally maintained (although you can find faster greens). The bunkers currently need more sand. The course is very walkable and straight forward. All obstacles are visible but plenty of course knowledge can be gained by playing this course a few times. The course plays more difficult than the course rating may suggest. The desert is unplayable in most cases and if it were water this course would have a slope of 160. #18 is perhaps the most challenging finishing hole I have ever played. Par here will make your day!

Play Cholla too but be careful to check your yardage book on the Cholla course.

"Tremendous views, excellent golf"

roncloyd's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/30/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

A great place to enjoy the day. With mountain views everywhere and not a home in sight, it is a great setting for a relaxing day.

Coore/Crenshaw seem to pride themelves on using the land as is with very little earth moving. The advantage is that the course looks like it has always been there. The downside is balls run from the fairways through the rough and into the desert without mounds or hills to keep your ball in play, and the sightlines off of the tee are a little more challenging.

The conditions were great, as the greens were fast and smooth. The bunkers were just ok. Not nearly as bad as the Cholla course (rocks, stones and pebbles), but they are still not stellar.

The only thing I did not care for regarding the layout was that the holes were either very short (300-320 yards par 4's) or crazy long (470-500 yard par 4's). I played the 6800 yard tees while my son played at 7,000 yards. One par three was an easy wedge at

115 yards, while another was 256 yards.

I know this is nitpicking, but I did find it a little unusual. Otherwise, a great track that is fun to play and worth a vacation round in great weather.

"Saguaro"

salim's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Favorite course in the valley as its a walkable course, forgiving fairways and stunning scenery. One of few courses where when waiting to hit or to putt you can stand back and just look around at the landscape for miles (or if an apache helicopter flies by or this time a couple of jets). Greens aren't the fastest but roll nicely, at least 3 holes are risk/reward par 4s, par 3s face all four directions and play different distances. (Hole 15 I could stand on that tee box and hit shots all day.) Booked using the We Ko Pass while its tougher to get a tee time we paid $99. Have played courses (including Cholla) at least a dozen times and we always know what we are going to get which is a great facility and a great golf experience. My only criticism is the sand in the bunkers was sparse in some areas which caused the club to bounce off the bottom of the bunker. Our family looks forward to playing this course every year. If you are looking to play a great desert course this it!

"STUNNING GOURSE EAST OF PHOENIX"

scoyle92's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

STARTED AT 10 AM AND WAS FINISHED THIS GREAT COURSE AT 2PM !. Joined a great a great husband and wife from Denver<br/> Lisa played from the composite course , David and I played from the purple This course had everything its only a 35 min drive from North Scottsdale. Take Shea all the way to Beeline Highway, at 87 turn left. Well sign posted great looking clubhouse with friendly front staff and pro shops. Nice practice facility. Played the Saguaro course which gave me all that I could handle This course is not for the novice If you are a 10 pus handicap play from the composite tees. Lots of elevation changes and amazing scenery Take some form of camera . Was given a poster of the course This is a nice touch and will make a long winter more tolerable! The course was in amazing condition . The greens are not as quick as TPC stadium played 2 days ago. Lots of breaking putts Most putts seemed to break towards the valley.<br/> The wind came up on the last two holes . I enjoyed all of the holes . The par three ninth a short hole was not an easy one . However it seemed to speed up the round and there was ample opportunity to have a nice snack at the turn . The traps can be tricky The sand is red composite I found a 56 degree wedge was quite effective in getting out with a little spin. Only, in three traps today and made nice recoveries<br/> One long sand trap, allowed me to take a 4 hybrid and make a clean strike, stand tall no need to dig in here ! Shot 40 and then 39 on the back As a 9/10 handicapper I think the course is fair . The views on and off the golf course will make up for any shortcomings in your game This is must play in Arizona . Will be back to try the Cholla course which was being over seeded. . They allowed my wife to ride along for no fee . Thank you for a great golfing experience! p.s Lots of wildlife here .

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"The best"

matthew823's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2015
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Simply the best public golf course in Arizona.

What makes the Saguaro great is Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw's style that features wide fairways and few forced carries so lesser players are not beat over the head, but still offers all the challenge good players can want via strategic design, angles, and tricky, slippery greens.

"Nice Course, Rude staff"

Grandpalms's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/30/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Played Saturday with 12 low to mid handicappers mostly retired 50-60 year old law enforcement. It was our last of 4 day trip, and found your course to be nice shape, good lay out, my 4 some was following a 3some in our group and was in front of a 4some in our group. I pride myself in being a quick golfer, and always get my group in line with pace of play, but due to the course being new to us, we were slightly behind the group in front, but at least a hole and a half in front of group behind us. I was having a great time, 42 on front, drove close to several par 4s, great scenery, nice greens.......until a young (25?) ranger approached us on about the 12-13th hole. He<br/> started out with a very dry, no personality question, "gentlemen, how's it going", but then<br/> instructed us very rudely to speed it up as we had dropped a hole behind the group in front. I explained I had to take about 10 minutes to find my wedge to which he said nothing but his face said "I don't care". At that time my group of experienced golfers let it go, but commented he was rude and ridiculous to tell us to speed up, when we weren't slowing anybody down. Then 1-2 holes ahead, still out of sight of group in back of us, he came back, same no personality question,<br/> " gentlemen how's everything" ..he must have seen an episode of COPs and was trying the good cop/ bad cop with him playing both sides# then started with what I can only describe a lecture to 4 paying customers 25-35 years his elder, pointing his finger at us and said to us, "this is your second and last warning, to speed it up!" At that point one of our group said " we can't play any faster" #that guy shot a 85#. I only wished I had though to ask, "or what?" I haven't been dressed down like that since I was 10. I let his ridiculous orders get to me and played the next 3 holes in 11 over, finishing<br/> with a 94! The incident obviously ruined my round and put a bad taste in my mouth for the 5 day golf trip. I spoke to an older ranger and let him know how rude the kid was. After the incident I called each foursome and stopped them buying beer/water from the beverage girl, we decided not to eat in the restaurant, and refused to tip the bag guys. Hopefully I was able to stop about $500 in revenue. Too many nice courses in Arizona to put up this. Needless to say, the course is off our list for our next trip, and will tell everyone that I come in contact with in Florida at two different country clubs to which I'm a member, never to play at this course. This "kid" had no people skills, he seemed to be a "cop want to be" and let the power go to his head. Rangers need to be older and have some people skills.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Beautiful Desert Course and Very Challenging"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

The Saguaro Course is excellent. It is in a beautiful desert setting, with no homes, etc. bordering the holes or the property. I would have rated the conditions 5 star except that the tee boxes and fairways had just been mowed down in anticipation of aeration. Consequently, the fairways and tee boxes were yellow looking. This didn't affect play -- the fairways were otherwise in good shape and played firm.

The greens were in good shape and pose subtle challenges. They are not severe looking or acting, but nor are they easy or flat. Another way of saying that is that I could two putt every green, but one putts were tough.

The 1st and 18th holes are long par 4s. Otherwise, a lot of the par 4s were short, which I like. I am not a long hitter, but I do tend to be accurate off the tee with a 3 wood or less, so I would resist the temptation to bomb away and would hit a long iron/hybrid and find the fairway, leaving myself a wedge or 9 iron in on the short par 4s.

The facilities are nice, without being luxurious or such. Very comfortable and nice for "public" access golf, without the extravagance of an expensive private club.

The course was designed with walking in mind and I would like to walk the course the next time I play it. No one appeared to be walking when I was there, so that may be more of a late in the day kind of thing. The tee boxes are close to the preceding greens, except in one instance on the back 9.

I enjoyed this course a lot and I appreciated the risk/reward aspect of many of the holes.

I definitely will play again!

"Fabulous Track"

Robert6830308's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Good weather

There are two courses at We Ko Pa, I played Saguaro. Wide fairways, rocks and desert for rough. Fairways where lush and green but very firm. Greens rolled true, about a 10, and they where also very firm. I had difficulty with keeping the ball on the green.

"Nice Track"

Ryless's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

WeKoPa was a very nice track. Not a tight as you may think, but plenty of challenges along the way.

Great facility, staff and course.

I was on vacation, and was told this is a must to play. I would put this on the list. It is pricey, but when in Rome.....

"Beautiful Desert Course!!"

robbjamesgolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 3/15/2013

I was really blown away by the beauty of this golf course.