FarmLinks at Pursell Farms

Driving range: Yes - 6 (bunker guarded) greens at varying distances
Golf school / academy: Yes - "FarmLinks Golf Academy"

Longhorn 72 7444 yards 75.5 140
Copperhead 72 6970 yards 72.8 130
Whitetail 72 6457 yards 70.3 125
Bobcat 72 5919 yards 67.1 114
Quail 72 5250 yards 69.7 124

Location is worth the drive   Great for entertaining clients advanced golfers group getaways   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers water hazards   Great for amazing food drinks brunch

"One of my favorite course I have ever player"

smmaddalena's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course is amazing. It exceeded my expectations. I just got done with a day at the Masters on Monday and 2 days at the RTJ trail in Opelika and this was my favorite part of the trip. 3 of the par 3s are some of the coolest par 3s I have ever played. The golf carts are amazing, the staff top notch, the restaurant had amazing food (loved the Pig Candy). I cant wait to come back. The tee boxes make this course playable for the high handicap to the scratch golfer. It has everything, although there is no way I would ever walk this course. I bet this course is so beautiful in the fall when the leaves change color.

Dear smmaddalena,

We are delighted to hear that our course has exceeded your expectations! We love to hear of your anticipation to return. You will have to come check out the scenery in the fall when the leaves change!

FarmLinks Golf Club Management

"Big changes at FarmLinks"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2017

There has been a shift in the focus of FarmLinks, the golf course at Pursell Farms. The facility emerged onto the golf scene in 2003 with tremendous buzz, as it was the first agronomy research course in the country. The idea was to bring 3-5 superintendents, greenskeepers, etc. per week and have them spend 3-5 days learning about the latest in fertilization and course maintenance techniques. However, with the sale of the family's fertilizer business, this approach is no longer a revenue generator. I was told the focus has now shifted to becoming a resort, with golf front and center. Hence the construction of a new inn, that is scheduled to open in ~6 months. There will also be a restaurant and pub that will give a more rooted presence than the small restaurant inside the clubhouse. Golf buddies trips and corporate outings are going to be increasingly pursued, to complement the existing Parker Lodge, cottages, wedding facility and Orvis hunting and fishing activities.

That being said, despite the heavy rain received in the previous couple days due to the remnants of Hurricane Irma, the course was in fantastic shape. Drained really well, and did not see any standing water.

The bentgrass greens were recently vented and a tad slow, but give them two weeks and if we get the falling temps that should accompany late September into October they will be in splendid Autumn shape.

One of my favorite aesthetic things about FarmLinks in the long-grass ringed bunkers that creates an excellent contrast to the tightly mown green-side runoffs. You must be able to chip from tight lies to save par here.

This is an excellent fall destination, given the proximity. FarmLinks lies at the base of the Appalachians and the vistas provided, particularly around the collection of par 3s is remarkable.

"FarmLinks continues to impress"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2017

FarmLinks continues to enhance its brand with the addition of a lodge and pub adjacent to the 18th fairway which should be completed in a few months. Meanwhile, the course is in tip-top shape. Fairways are lush and greens have fully recovered from recent aerification. One of the aspects of this course that make it challenging for the better player and difficult for the higher handicapper is the closely-mown areas around green that puts a premium on pitching and chipping. Aesthetically, this gives the look of the Tour courses you see on TV every week, and gives FarmLinks a little better seat at the table than most courses. My one criticism of the course's conditioning, however, was the bunkers. Recent rain had obviously washed out most of the bunkers, particularly at the high points around lips. I know this can't be remedied in a day or two, but a course that looks so great in every other regard, and demands a $100+ greens fee needs to be better in this department. The on-going clearing of brush and trees down the left side of the short par-4 13th hole is a good decision. FarmLinks also boasts one of the finest practice facilities I've ever encountered. The short game is magnificent, and the expansive practice tee can accommodate different wind directions. GPS is provided on the carts and yardage guides are available in the pro shop, which is smallish, but carries finer brand merchandise.

"Best Conditioned Course I've Played!"

trozmus12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/09/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This course is in absolute pristine condition! Fantastic and challenging layout. Highly recommend getting to this course, which is basically in the middle of nowhere. If you are going to Alabama to play golf, this course is a must play.

"Aerification alert"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/25/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Greens just aerated on Wednesday. Not the major one of the year, but plugs nonetheless. Heavily sanded greens. Staff says allow three weeks for recovery. They are offering a reduced rate if you can't wait that long.

"a nice little place in the middle of nowhere"

toothysaw2's avatar
Texas Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017
First time playing Perfect weather

a lot of the time on the way out to farmlinks, it wasn't clear where or why a golf course would suddenly appear. but it did, and it's fantastic!

my favorite thing about this course is that anybody can play it. it's wide open and most holes don't have significant forced carries. at the same time, it's still challenging for better players and requires more thought than just hitting it hard and going to find it.

there are dramatic downhill par 3s, drivable par 4s, and some longer par 4s and 5s. a little bit of everything to keep you interested.

it's a gorgeous setting and they clearly take pride in keeping the course in great shape. it's a little secluded, but well worth the journey. a truly fine course!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2017

"Love this course!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/31/2017

I love this course, one of the best I've played in the state. Staff is incredibly friendly and the winter rate is only $49. $49 is an absolute steal, can't wait to come back when The Inn is completed. The course is open and fair, definitely give this course a try if possible. Only thing I would suggest is an occasional ball washing station.

"Didn't disappoint"

MPack's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2016

I've heard so much about FarmLinks since I moved to AL. It was a nice experience. Course layout provides a challenge to all levels of golfers. Staff is friendly and carefully watch the pace of play. Great views throughout the course, Especially the par 3 from 200' up. I'd definitely recommend this course and will be back.

"Wide open course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2016

Course in good shape. Some greens a little rough. But overall enjoyed playing at this course.

"This course is great"

SmoothBoyd's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2016

Rated the number 1 course for a reason. Challenging but playable and always in great shape.

"Great Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016

Every time I play Farmlinks it gets better.

Commented on 08/04/2016

u000007374717,

Thank you for such the great review and for choosing to play with us! We hope to see you again very soon!

Best Wishes,

Farmlinks GC Mgmt

"Great Value"

Bradley5614861's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Great venue, spent Father's Day with my boys and we had a great day. You can bomb it off the tee with wide fairways but it still requires precise iron shots to the undulating greens. Only real criticism of the course is that Holes #1 and #10 are par 5s that are almost identical. Very friendly staff and the food in the clubhouse was fantastic after the round. Don't count on drinking any alcohol on Sunday's in Talladega County but this is truly one of the public golf course gems.

Commented on 06/27/2016

Hi Bradley5614861,

Thanks for the five star review! We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you back again soon for your next round.

FarmLinks at Pursell Farms Golf Club Management

"Costly-Aerated"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2016

First I really like the course. But this trip was somewhat disappointing, first I booked for on the all inclusive package at $168 per person rate, when checking I was CHARGED $395 plus the $21.95 prepay amount, when questioning the price was told prices are different? Did not want to make a scene because I was treating my son. Then I was HIGHLY disappointed when after paying a higher rate than published we find the Greeens had just been AERATED AND TOP DRESSED! If I had been told I would have chosen another day. Even still should have received some sort of discount. Third pace of play was slow on the 1st 18(5 hours), but the afternoon round was agonizing, after the starter said the group in front of us was super slow, he said he would ask them to allow us through if we caught them, well we caught them on the 1st fairway and watched every shot for the entire 18(5 1/2 hours) with no one in front of them, many times we were on the tee with them without them offering to allow us to play through, never saw the Marshall again! Will have to think twice about making the 2 1/2 hour drive again to pay $420 to play aerated greens at 5+ hour pace!

Commented on 06/03/2016

Hi u000006328188,

We appreciate your feedback and apologize that the greens were just aerated and pace of play was slower than normal. We are constantly working on addressing internal issues within the course and can assure you that we are doing everything within our power to improve them! We are sorry to hear that you won't be coming back to play here again soon but hope that you reconsider and allow us to provide you with the normal excellent golfing experience!

Sincerely,

Farmlinks at Pursell Farms Golf Course Management

"Well worth the drive, excellent views."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Excellent greens, various holes with spectacular

elevation drops. Very generous fairways, beautiful

surroundings.

Commented on 06/03/2016

Dear u00000929354,

Thank you for choosing us to play your last round! We appreciate the kind words and feedback of the course! We hope to be able to continue to provide memorable experiences for you!

Best Wishes,

Farmlinks at Pursell Farms Golf Course Management

"AJ"

AJNIX's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/13/2016

Awesome day of golf...as always at this course. Pace was a little slow for today, but we came to have fun and that we did.

Thanks Farmlinks

Look forward to my next game.

AJ

AJ,

We're sorry about the slow pace of play, but more than happy to hear that you enjoyed your time spent on the course. Come back and play again soon!

"Hidden Gem”"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2016

While you seem to drive forever into the country, you will be glad you did! The course condition is second to none, you feel like you are playing on your personal private course. The driving range, and short game practice area is superb. Worth the time and money to come play this hidden jewel!!!

u881782998,

We are happy to hear that the drive is worth the play! Thank you for your review. We hope to see you on the course again soon!

FarmLinks Golf Club Management

"generous fairways...good chances to score well"

mdgriffi's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2016

Excellent course conditions including fairways and greens...all staff are friendly and helpful....will continue to watch for specials offered and will take advantage and play there again...marshall

Marshall,

We hope you do come back and play again! Thank you for your 5 star review. We are glad to have met your expectations during your round!

"Just Wow!!!!!"

u968205428's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2016

If there is only one course in the Birmingham area you can play, choose this one. Signature hole #5 is worth it on its own. Greens, perfect. Fairways, perfect. Views, perfect.

u968205428,

We are thrilled to have you "wow-ed" by our course! Thank you for your review, we hope you come back and play again soon!

"Great Experience!"

uKBUF4406KB's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2016

The staff was incredible! One of the greatest experiences playing golf I have ever had. I highly recommend Farmlinks to anyone that wants an incredible game of golf.

Thank You!

uKBUF4406KB,

Thank you! Your kind words keep us motivated to constantly improve! We are glad we have impressed you and hope to see you again soon!