The Classic Club

Type: Public
Greens: Bermuda grass

Caddies: Yes
GPS: Yes

Dress code: Collared shirts are required. Shorts must be 'bermuda'-length. Inappropriate Attire: Tank tops, T-shirts, Denim Jeans, Cargo shorts and Cut-offs.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, Master Card, American Express

Tees

Purple (W) 72 5300 yards 73.2 132

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5
Overall Condition: 4.7 stars from 5
Food & Beverage: 4.5 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include water hazards bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"A Challenging Course!"

twhuang's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Many, if not most, golf courses in Palm Springs have been constructed as part of the overall real estate housing development. Therefore, some courses, like those among the PGA West group, which were magnificent many years ago, are now clustered by houses and have become very unpleasant, for me at least, to play. The Classic Club is different. It is a stand alone golf course with magnificent mountain and water views for you to enjoy. The course is challenging with many water hazards and bunkers which require forced carries, if you want to go for it. Although some of the bunkers have packed sand, which should be expected during the summer, fairways and greens are in excellent shapes. In addition, the driving range is spacious. A minor complaint is that the GPS on the golf cart which I rode sometimes didn't seem to read the the yardage correctly. I ended up using my own Garmin for cross references. By the time I finished my round, the restaurant was closed due to its shorter summer schedule. However, I did dine there a couple times before and can attest to the quality of the food it served. In any case, my wife and I truly enjoyed the afternoon we spent at this club.

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Classic Club, Classic Arnie!!"

Golfingslo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Very playable ,well designed Palmer course with water hazards everywhere. Had a variety of shots, up and down hill. Outside staff was great as was the value we received for our greens fee. Definitely will return.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Another Classic at the Classic Club"

ForeinSD's avatar
Plays: Once a week

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Always a great adventure. Staff excellent, food great, course always great..however, greens a little long this time..but heh, it's late August...no real complaints at all...get there early to beat the wind, but this place is a must play. My second time, and as good as the first....

"Awesome"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2014

This was the first time I played here. They were doing work on the fairways so some were a bit sandy. Even with that, it was still great. Plus, you can't beat the price. This is a 5 star resort at an affordable price. Every staff member there was polite and professional. I will definitely play here again and will recommend others to do the same.

"Best in Valley"

johnboeker's avatar
Age: 55-64

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Again, the Classic desert course lives up to our memories! The best and friendliest Staff of all the 8 courses played on vacation, and the best food in the restaurant. Sure, the course will make you play on the fairway to avoid the 13/18 water holes, but there are 13/18 holes with water in the desert!! Unique to the Valley in many ways.

"Classic club"

mbroa's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2014

This course is great, it's a must play for any low handicap golfer. I played from the tips, and there were 4 or 5 par 4s over 450 yards with water next to the green. It was an awesome test. Don't play this course on a windy day. Also for playing they gave us a towel, divot tool, ball maker all with classic club logos. The towel alone goes for 15-25$

18 Hole Pace of Play: 4 1/4 hrs

"NO RESPECT"

nwebb's avatar
Age: 35-44

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Very disappointing because of 1 person, the Superintendent. He was jumping in front of me and turning the water on before, or even while, I played the hole. It was the afternoon and I only saw one other golfer on the course. He was 2 or 3 holes ahead of me and no one was behind me. But the Superintendent would get between me and the other golfer and water! WHY NOT WAIT UNTIL I PLAYED THE HOLE AND THEN TURN THE WATER ON? NO ONE WAS BEHIND ME! Water(ing) was an issue on at least 4 holes on front.

As I headed to #10 the Superintendent drove in front of me and began soaking the 11th tee boxes. I couldn't even pull up to the 10th green because of the water. I went back to him and asked him "why don't you wait until I play the holes and then turn the water on?" Superintendent says, "Oh, ok. It won't be on anymore." The water was on on the next Tee Box!

I'm not sure what the % is but most golfers repair their ball marks, fill their divots, rake out the bunkers, don't drive past the No Carts signs, etc. Why then shouldn't we be treated with the same respect? When I started to think about this I packed up and left.

The layout of the course is awesome and the course was in fair condition. The rest of the staff were very great, helpful, and apologetic. They offered to refund my green fee.

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"Excellent"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2014

From A to Z is awesome love this place it's amazing to deal with multiple employes and all you get is great service great food great course conditions and excellent prices

"Beautiful course"

eyedocca's avatar
Plays: Once a week

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2014
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Better be on your game...plenty of bunkers & water but a beautifully groomed course. Greens are fair & true to putt on.

Overall Condition: Excellent

"Get the course and food Seperate!"

jkleinow's avatar
Plays: Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2014
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Excellent course, I really love the classic club. Was behind a two some and infront of a single. I really took my time on every shot and on the green. Played the course in 2hrs40min.

I payed $79 thru the golf now deal and it gave m ea $15 food and beverage voucher.

I could have got the $59 tee time and used $20 towards food and beverage so that was a little upsetting.

I did get another Classic Club Micro Fiber towel which is great to bring to the green to clean your ball.

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"I Was Disappointed - Again..."

Age: 45-54

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2014
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The last time I played and reviewed this course, I gave it 4-stars. My main issue with the course at that time were the rock-hard sand traps and "iffy" fairways. Well, the fairways were a bit better, but the sand traps are still rock-hard, and now the greens are rock-hard too! Only 9-irons and wedges held the greens at all. All lower lofted shots landing on the greens first took a 15-20 foot BOUNCE, and then ran off the back of the green (with draw or fade). O.K., time to play a little links-style golf - right? Not possible! The green complexes had hundreds of pounds of sand on the green aprons! So, shots landing on the greens would not hold, and shots landing short would not release! My first round at the CC the greens were absolutely horrible. My second round the greens were better, but I experienced the rock-hard sand traps, and the fairways were average at best (areas under repair - and very hard and dry). This time the green complexes were almost unplayable. The only comment from the staff on my issue with the greens was, "you should play this course during the season". So, the only time the conditions of this course are nice is when you have to pay $125+ to play it??? This should be a 5-star course. But, I have not seen course conditions even close to 5-stars.

"Pristine"

carlstrand81's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2014

The classic club is a very fun test of your course management skills and, should you choose, will also require you to bring the heat on the majority of its holes.

The grass is so lush that you'll wonder whether you'd rather want to hit off of it or kick off your shoes and just stroll through it. The Palm Springs/Coachella area in general seems to have great courses with very pristine greens and fairways but the Classic Club is amongst the top tier caliber of golf courses. Very well done and thank you very much for the great golf and extremely accommodating and friendly service.

"Classic for sure..."

sandgallan's avatar
Plays: Once a month

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2014
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

the course was in very good shape and is always a pleasure to play. multiple tee boxes ensure the right fit for your handicap, it challenges you but does not beat you up too badly.
great practice area and very friendly staff.
clubhouse is huge and the food very good.
a must play in the Coachella Valley!

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Gorgeous Course, Great Service"

marcusjbarry's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2014

I'd been holding off on playing the Classic Club because of the cost (especially with all of the huge discounts available at other courses for those willing to brave the mid-day desert sun in late June) but I'm so glad I played it.

I played with my son, and the course conditions and service were fabulous. The overall experience, from check-in, to the young woman on the cart, was amazing!

This is a really beautiful and superbly-run facility.

"Excellent Course..Wonderful Staff"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

On a golf vacation, we've played a number of courses in the Coachella Valley and this is the finest facility so far. With the exception of one fairway that was being aerated, the course was in great shape and the greens were true and smooth, although not too fast. We played on a Tuesday morning and seemed to have the course to ourselves. The staff was friendly and very helpful. An excellent value and a thoroughly enjoyable round. We will definitely be playing Classic Course again.

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"Great Course!"

thomascarstens's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

This was my first time playing the Classic, it's great course and very challenging. I played in the off/hot season so things were a little dry, but the course stil looked nice. The safe was friendly. I'll definitely play again if I can get a good rate.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

Course Difficulty: Extremely Challenging

"This is a great course"

rickberg99's avatar
Age: 65+

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The pace of play was slow, especially in the 108 degree heat. The golf course staff were outstanding in all phases of our visit. The course is an world class design and thoroughly enjoyable to play. It's one of our favirites in the Coachella valley.

18 Hole Pace of Play: 4 3/4 hrs

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Classic Club....Classic great course"

ninik's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This course offers a great challenge to any golfer. There are multiple sets of tees so you can play at an appropriate yardage and difficulty for your handicap.
Nice variety of hole layouts and challenges on the approach shots. I would put this course on your must play list if you are in the Palm Springs area. It is truly " worth the price of admission". I would definitely play it again.

Player Tip: Due to the extreme heat, the greens were very firm and did not hold. So, hit less club and let it run to the hole.

"Great deal!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2014

Great time and value. Staff worked us out in front of a shotgun tourny. Excellent practice facilities.

"sandbunkers sucked"

lilwavedave's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

course was nice price was good. the staff was friendly and nice.but the sand bunkers were hard terrible sand like rocks. course was good for all types of golfers having five sets of tee boxes. fairways were wide open with not of trouble . green were very nice and rolled awesome.