Salt Creek Golf Club

3.6192000000 3.6 stars from 5 (386)

Gift this Course

Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Poa Grass

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: No

Dress code: No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover

Average Rating 3.6 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Course conditons horrendous"

kdecker17's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017

Course is in absolutely horrible shape. Fairways and greens are hard as rock. No length to second cut. Balls landing in middle of fairway roll with hill OB. Sand traps were unkempt...had weeds and runoff creases throughout, often marked GUR.

Played this course twice previously and enjoyed it. Will not play again. Simply not worth the price considering poor maintenance. Really unfortunate.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2017

The course is so crowd that every hole has

to be delayed and wait.

"Much Improved Experience"

fmfchief's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/18/2017

Compared to last August the course is in much better shape, likely due to water availability which has likely improved greatly due to all the rain received over the winter. Also, maintenance staff were busy bringing in sand and re-working the bunkers which were in need of a lot of help! Overall, much improved and well worth playing.

"Good time"

stever921's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

Beautiful day, nice views and good pace of play.

Conditions were okay in fairways, bunkers were okay in spots, poor in spots.

Greens good condition and fairly fast

Good time but overpriced compared to other local courses

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Salt Creek Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi u006599603,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We're sorry you were not able to recommend the golf course at this time. Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop with details on your experience with us.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

Response from Salt Creek Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi u539358663,

Thank you for the 4 star review and recommendation!

"A positive review for a change!"

unclefreddy's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017

I read all the negative reviews before I played and I personally didn't have any problems with the course condition. The greens were in good shape. They were punched in early April and were a bit slow. The fairways and the bunkers weren't horrible, not great but playable. Guess I have lower standards than most reviewers. Got a great Hot Deal for 17 bones so no whining here.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi unclefreddy,

Thank you for the 4 star review and recommendation! We're glad you were able to find a good value and have a fun day of golf with us. See you soon!

"Terrible"

Jrp1434's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

If you have a friend with a cow pasture I suggest you reserve a tee time there. This golf course is in deplorable condition. The fairways are extremely thin, the greens are slow. It doesn't matter how you stroke a putt the ball bounces off the ground and side to side. Most of the bunkers we labeled as ground under repair and those that weren't should have been. This course is scheduled as day two of the two day South Bay Amateur tournament. Really the Superintendent (if there is one) should be ashamed! Our group of eight played here about a year ago in similar conditions. Thought we would give it another try.

NEVER AGAIN!

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/26/2017:

Hi Jrp1434,

Thank you for golfing with us! Our staff is hard at work punching greens, fairways and tee boxes as we prepare to head into the summer season. We hope to see you back on the course so we can improve your 1 star experience.

"What happened to this place?"

nickesquire's avatar
California Advisor

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2017

Played the Golds (6328/70.6/127) with 140ver on dawn patrol. The weather was calm and very pleasant, in the 70's. We played a leisurely 4H, 10M round, rarely within a hole of any other group. I played here roughly 6-7 years ago in a GK event and came away impressed with the course. If I played word association, "fun layout " and "above average conditions" would have been my thoughts from my first visit. WOW, what a difference is all I can say after today. What we encountered today were poor course conditions almost across the board. And the deterioration has obviously been ongoing. Multiple tee boxes let go and grown up, obviously no longer being watered or maintained. They have made combo tees not listed on the scorecard or recognized in the handicap databases on numerous holes. Several green side sand traps were marked as GUR with weeds and they have obviously not been maintained in awhile. The tees in use and fairways were thin but had good coverage. They had been aerated, so they are trying to improve the hard, not firm conditions. The rough was not high but hard to play from because it was all over the place... grass, clumps, weeds, hardpan. Also it did not keep anything off line out of hazards. Mike hit several balls that landed in the fairway or green that rolled through the rough into red staked hazards. The sand traps were also all over the place quality wise. Several were marked as GUR. Most were average and playable on 1 end, almost hardpan on the other. Yet a couple had been redone with nice, thick sand that produced fried eggs. So hopefully improving? Hard to believe these greens were aerated 2 full weeks ago. I did not expect pristine, but I did not expect this slow and bumpy either. Anything over 2' and you were basically hoping that the last bounce your putt took was toward the hole. Easily the worst greens I have putted on this year. The customer service was good in the pro shop, they had us right out as the 2nd group off. This course sadly reminds me of courses I have played in recent years that were on their way to closing. The greens are probably at least 2 weeks from being decent again. If the greens were decent, the rest of the course would be playable. However, when you throw in bad greens with mostly below average conditions everywhere else, this is not a course I would recommend to anyone in it's current state.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/26/2017:

Hi nickesquire,

Thank you for golfing with us! We're happy to hear you had good weather and friendly customer service for your round. Your feedback on course conditions is greatly appreciated and will help us improve as we head into summer season. The entire course was recently aerified and still recovering, so we hope to see you again the coming months so we can improve your 2 star experience.

"Poor conditions"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

First of all course layout is great and the greens I'm sure will be great once they recover from aerification. However, the fairways need some watering. Yes it's a links course but the grass seems about ready to die. A few of the bunkers are rock hard and unplayable.

With some TLC this course would be perfect, but at this time way way overpriced.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/26/2017:

Hi u800501207,

Your review and feedback on course conditions is greatly appreciated. We're happy to hear you enjoyed the course layout. The greens should recover nicely and the fairways should bloom as we head into the summer months. Hopefully, we can see you back for another round soon.

"Sorry, not this time"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2017

What did I expect for twilight $20 bucks. T-box's were the worst. Bunkers were mud flats. Overall, awful. A place for the high schooler's to play, that's about it. Sorry folks, I'd rather have the $20 bucks back in my pocket. NOT better than working.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/26/2017:

Hi u144608413,

Thank you for golfing with us! Your feedback will help us continuously improve as we head into summer season. The entire course was recently punched, so our staff is hard at work to recover the course as quickly as possible. We're sorry your experience was not up to par at this time, but hopefully you can rerun in the coming months for another round.

"Salt Creek needs some work"

Matthew2259902's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

I usually love this course, but it was in rough shape this last go around. The greens were just punched two days prior to our round and the bunkers were either rock pit waste lands or mud pits. There were only three bunkers that looked good enough to hit out of. I know they need to punch the greens for the upcoming season, but with the shape of the bunkers and greens, you would expect a discounted rate. We payed the regular weekday rate for such bad conditions. Like I said though, the course is usually great, but salt creek needs some work to get back to what it was. I wouldn't recommend playing until at least June.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi Matthew2259902,

Your review and recommendation are greatly appreciated! We look forward to seeing you again over the summer. Feedback on course conditions will help us maintain the course as we head into the new season. Thank you for golfing with us!

"Old reliable in Eastlake area"

chip6900's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2017

I enjoy playing here as well as some of the other local Eastlake courses. Unfortunately, I played this last round while they were plugging and sanding the tee boxes and greens so I limited myself to two putts max per hole once I got on the green. Unfortunately, no prior mention of sanding was made when making the res on Golfnow nor when I arrived at the course. Just found out about the sanding after landing on the first green. Not a big problem, just wished someone would have mentioned it so I could have prepared myself. Rest of the course is maintained fairly well. It should be mentioned that most golfers use the electric carts due to some of the hills, so there are very few walkers at this course (mostly the students on the local golf teams who are very polite and give way to other golfers playing through). Fairways are sometimes very hard to hold so your tee shot is key to start each hole. If you have a tendency to slice, aim well left. Any lateral movement will cause the ball to continue off the right side of most long holes. Anyone local who plays this course knows this already and we try to keep everything to the left of center in case the ball starts to fade. The greens are probably smaller than some are used to, but they seem to be filling in and are usually in good shape after the plugging and sanding. They do get really fast late in the hot, dry day, so beware and putt a few on the putting green before venturing out if you have not played here before. Overall, a fun course to play with most of the big challenges on the front 9, and some really fun holes from about #13 to the easily reachable Par 5 18th hole which helps you end your round on a positive note. Nestled adjacent to the mountains, most of the breezes are kept away and this area gets plenty of sunshine. Carts still do not have GPS so unless you bring your own, you have to rely on the boulder yardage markers which are usually easy to spot. Overall, an enjoyable course to play which will challenge you if you have difficulty finding the fairways. Rates are very competitive with other similar golf courses. If you have not played here yet, give it a try. I think you will make it one of your "go to" courses in San Diego. Have a great round!

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi chip6900,

Thank you for the detailed review of your experience with us! We look forward to seeing you for another round when the greens are not being attended to. It sounds like you were still able to have a fun day of golf. Great advice on hitting the fairways, which can definitely be a tricky task. See you soon!

"horrible shape"

millerplus3's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2017

The course was in trouble shape. I was very disappointed to say the last. i'll never play there again.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi millerplus3,

Thank you for golfing with us! Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop to provide details on your experience. We would love the opportunity to improve your 1 star review next time.

Johnny7871177's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/22/2017:

Hi Johnny7871177,

Thank you for golfing with us and providing feedback on your round. Hopefully, you can come back so we can work on improving your 2 star experience.

"Course is not kept up at all"

coreycraw's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2017

This course was just given no love the sand traps were dried out and rock hard. The greens were brown on most holes. The bones of the course are nice but I heard that have a new owner and he is not caring for his course.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/22/2017:

Hi coreycraw,

We're sorry to hear course conditions were not up to par during your round with us. Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop so we can improve your experience for next time.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2017

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/21/2017:

Hi u236621157,

We're sorry to hear you were not able to recommend our course at this time.

u00000201230's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/21/2017:

Hi u00000201230,

Thank you for the review and recommendation. Your feedback on the bunkers is greatly appreciated.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/21/2017:

Hi u849650423,

Thank you for the 5 star review!

"Great Greens"

u000007194090's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

We have not played on such nice, challenging greens in a long time. Really fun. Firm and fast with lots of slope. Unfortunately I cannot compliment the fairways. They are so firm and so short. They slanted heavily to the right or left. The ball rolls like it would on a green so be wary. I don't know what kind of grass is on the fairways but we have never experienced them before. We recently move to San Diego from Palm Desert where the grass is lush and soft. Maybe this is winter grass on this course? We have played other courses in SD and have not played on this type of grass. It was a lovely day and very interesting views. It is worth a try but bring lots of balls. You will loose many to the rolling off the fairways into canyons and deep weeds.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/15/2017:

Hi u000007194090,

Your feedback on greens and fairways is greatly appreciated. Thank you for the review and recommendation. See you soon!