Gift this Course

Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Poa Grass

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: No

Dress code: No denim, collared shirt and bermuda shorts required
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.6 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Terrible"

Jrp1434's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

If you have a friend with a cow pasture I suggest you reserve a tee time there. This golf course is in deplorable condition. The fairways are extremely thin, the greens are slow. It doesn't matter how you stroke a putt the ball bounces off the ground and side to side. Most of the bunkers we labeled as ground under repair and those that weren't should have been. This course is scheduled as day two of the two day South Bay Amateur tournament. Really the Superintendent (if there is one) should be ashamed! Our group of eight played here about a year ago in similar conditions. Thought we would give it another try.

NEVER AGAIN!

"What happened to this place?"

nickesquire's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2017

Played the Golds (6328/70.6/127) with 140ver on dawn patrol. The weather was calm and very pleasant, in the 70's. We played a leisurely 4H, 10M round, rarely within a hole of any other group. I played here roughly 6-7 years ago in a GK event and came away impressed with the course. If I played word association, "fun layout " and "above average conditions" would have been my thoughts from my first visit. WOW, what a difference is all I can say after today. What we encountered today were poor course conditions almost across the board. And the deterioration has obviously been ongoing. Multiple tee boxes let go and grown up, obviously no longer being watered or maintained. They have made combo tees not listed on the scorecard or recognized in the handicap databases on numerous holes. Several green side sand traps were marked as GUR with weeds and they have obviously not been maintained in awhile. The tees in use and fairways were thin but had good coverage. They had been aerated, so they are trying to improve the hard, not firm conditions. The rough was not high but hard to play from because it was all over the place... grass, clumps, weeds, hardpan. Also it did not keep anything off line out of hazards. Mike hit several balls that landed in the fairway or green that rolled through the rough into red staked hazards. The sand traps were also all over the place quality wise. Several were marked as GUR. Most were average and playable on 1 end, almost hardpan on the other. Yet a couple had been redone with nice, thick sand that produced fried eggs. So hopefully improving? Hard to believe these greens were aerated 2 full weeks ago. I did not expect pristine, but I did not expect this slow and bumpy either. Anything over 2' and you were basically hoping that the last bounce your putt took was toward the hole. Easily the worst greens I have putted on this year. The customer service was good in the pro shop, they had us right out as the 2nd group off. This course sadly reminds me of courses I have played in recent years that were on their way to closing. The greens are probably at least 2 weeks from being decent again. If the greens were decent, the rest of the course would be playable. However, when you throw in bad greens with mostly below average conditions everywhere else, this is not a course I would recommend to anyone in it's current state.

"Poor conditions"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

First of all course layout is great and the greens I'm sure will be great once they recover from aerification. However, the fairways need some watering. Yes it's a links course but the grass seems about ready to die. A few of the bunkers are rock hard and unplayable.

With some TLC this course would be perfect, but at this time way way overpriced.

"Sorry, not this time"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2017

What did I expect for twilight $20 bucks. T-box's were the worst. Bunkers were mud flats. Overall, awful. A place for the high schooler's to play, that's about it. Sorry folks, I'd rather have the $20 bucks back in my pocket. NOT better than working.

"Salt Creek needs some work"

Matthew2259902's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

I usually love this course, but it was in rough shape this last go around. The greens were just punched two days prior to our round and the bunkers were either rock pit waste lands or mud pits. There were only three bunkers that looked good enough to hit out of. I know they need to punch the greens for the upcoming season, but with the shape of the bunkers and greens, you would expect a discounted rate. We payed the regular weekday rate for such bad conditions. Like I said though, the course is usually great, but salt creek needs some work to get back to what it was. I wouldn't recommend playing until at least June.

"Old reliable in Eastlake area"

chip6900's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2017

I enjoy playing here as well as some of the other local Eastlake courses. Unfortunately, I played this last round while they were plugging and sanding the tee boxes and greens so I limited myself to two putts max per hole once I got on the green. Unfortunately, no prior mention of sanding was made when making the res on Golfnow nor when I arrived at the course. Just found out about the sanding after landing on the first green. Not a big problem, just wished someone would have mentioned it so I could have prepared myself. Rest of the course is maintained fairly well. It should be mentioned that most golfers use the electric carts due to some of the hills, so there are very few walkers at this course (mostly the students on the local golf teams who are very polite and give way to other golfers playing through). Fairways are sometimes very hard to hold so your tee shot is key to start each hole. If you have a tendency to slice, aim well left. Any lateral movement will cause the ball to continue off the right side of most long holes. Anyone local who plays this course knows this already and we try to keep everything to the left of center in case the ball starts to fade. The greens are probably smaller than some are used to, but they seem to be filling in and are usually in good shape after the plugging and sanding. They do get really fast late in the hot, dry day, so beware and putt a few on the putting green before venturing out if you have not played here before. Overall, a fun course to play with most of the big challenges on the front 9, and some really fun holes from about #13 to the easily reachable Par 5 18th hole which helps you end your round on a positive note. Nestled adjacent to the mountains, most of the breezes are kept away and this area gets plenty of sunshine. Carts still do not have GPS so unless you bring your own, you have to rely on the boulder yardage markers which are usually easy to spot. Overall, an enjoyable course to play which will challenge you if you have difficulty finding the fairways. Rates are very competitive with other similar golf courses. If you have not played here yet, give it a try. I think you will make it one of your "go to" courses in San Diego. Have a great round!

"horrible shape"

millerplus3's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/05/2017

The course was in trouble shape. I was very disappointed to say the last. i'll never play there again.

Johnny7871177's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/22/2017:

Hi Johnny7871177,

Thank you for golfing with us and providing feedback on your round. Hopefully, you can come back so we can work on improving your 2 star experience.

"Course is not kept up at all"

coreycraw's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2017

This course was just given no love the sand traps were dried out and rock hard. The greens were brown on most holes. The bones of the course are nice but I heard that have a new owner and he is not caring for his course.

Course Layout: Poor

Response from Salt Creek Management on 04/22/2017:

Hi coreycraw,

We're sorry to hear course conditions were not up to par during your round with us. Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop so we can improve your experience for next time.

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2017

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/21/2017:

Hi u236621157,

We're sorry to hear you were not able to recommend our course at this time.

u00000201230's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2017

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/21/2017:

Hi u00000201230,

Thank you for the review and recommendation. Your feedback on the bunkers is greatly appreciated.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/21/2017:

Hi u849650423,

Thank you for the 5 star review!

"Great Greens"

u000007194090's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

We have not played on such nice, challenging greens in a long time. Really fun. Firm and fast with lots of slope. Unfortunately I cannot compliment the fairways. They are so firm and so short. They slanted heavily to the right or left. The ball rolls like it would on a green so be wary. I don't know what kind of grass is on the fairways but we have never experienced them before. We recently move to San Diego from Palm Desert where the grass is lush and soft. Maybe this is winter grass on this course? We have played other courses in SD and have not played on this type of grass. It was a lovely day and very interesting views. It is worth a try but bring lots of balls. You will loose many to the rolling off the fairways into canyons and deep weeds.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/15/2017:

Hi u000007194090,

Your feedback on greens and fairways is greatly appreciated. Thank you for the review and recommendation. See you soon!

"Could be better"

dewndi's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

Love this course layout. Course in great shape, fun interesting holes, nice views. Only 2 comments: the bunkers are a disaster. Some "ground under repair", some with gravel instead of sand, and some with sand so deep I sunk in. No consistency. Only other thing is that it was a hot day and every water cooler around the course was empty. How much attention to detail does it take to fill the water coolers?

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/15/2017:

Hi dewndi,

Your review and recommendation is appreciated! Thank you for providing feedback on bunker conditions and our water coolers. We apologize for the inconvenience.

"I really enjoyed the links aspect."

DavidGrose's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

I really enjoyed the course and be will playing more often now that I knowa bout the links lay out. The course was very difficult for me, but I really had a good time.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/15/2017:

Hi DavidGrose,

Thank you for the 4 star review! We're happy to hear you enjoy the links layout of the course. See you soon!

"Salt creek"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017

Great vistas; had a 5-some playing in front of us that slowed everything down; bunkers were under repair due to recent heavy rains; lots of slope on fairways and with a wind is very difficult

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/13/2017:

Hi u503888189,

Thank you for the 5 star review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed your day of golf at Salt Creek even with recent heavy rains. See you soon!

"Fasr greens"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2017

Nice course, very fast greens, very good conditions

considering the rain the day before.

Beautiful paysage in the mountains

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/13/2017:

Hi u000008125707,

Thank you for the 4 star review! We're happy to hear you experienced great conditions after the heavy rain. Our staff works very hard to maintain the course. See you soon!

"Overall"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

The course is great and I've played multiple tournaments for our company there, but I have never played on a weekend until now just for the heck of it. It was overbooked and rate of play was aweful. It was taking us 30 minutes to play a hole. I love the course and will come back eventually. Just never when it's that busy again, it took away all the fun.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/06/2017:

Hi u566952173,

Thank you for the 4 star review! We're sorry to hear pace of play interrupted the quality of your round. Your feedback is appreciated so we can improve for next time. See you soon!

"Cool course"

loftgolfer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2017

Great course! Tuff but fun!! Challenge yourself play the tips!!

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/01/2017:

Hi loftgolfer,

Thank you for the 4 star review!

Best,

"FAST GREENS"

RaiderNSanDiego's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

My goodness Salt Creek managed to keep its fast greens even with all of the rain that San Diego/East County received. This course is not a course that you can muscle around; finesse is the word of the day for most amateurs when approaching this course. Beautiful drives ill placed will find itself in a protected habitat area and then there are those pesky bunkers that seem to be just in the right spot to catch an overzealous swing.

Low scores can be managed but remember it’s easy to capture near 100 as well; this is fun course to bring your “A” game and course management skills. So did I say fast greens……right.

There seems to be a reoccurring theme for a large number of courses NO GPS, maybe it's due to all of the devices on the market.

Response from Salt Creek Management on 03/01/2017:

Hi RaiderNSanDiego,

Thank you for the 4 star review! We enjoyed reading your feedback. It's definitely important to bring your 'A" game to the course. See you soon!

Best,