Lakota Canyon Ranch Golf Club

GPS: Yes

Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: Proper Golf Attire

Blue (W) 72 6369 yards 76.4 151

Location is worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes

"Not worth the money"

dbrown2633's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017

Very disappointed after just playing Redlands Mesa the day before. Description of the course layout needs to be provided via an updated GPS system or a detailed map. At a minimum, the course should install 150 yd markers. I often use them to understand where to safely aim when not familiar with a course. Flags should always be visible. Hole 18 is a perfect example. Neither the green or flag was visible from the drive. Being only 170 yds out, the flag should have been visible to allow me to weigh the risk and reward of the next shot. Neither the scorecard or the GPS provided enough information to understand the layout of the hole. First cut immediately off the greens was patchy and clumpy. Course had an irrigation problem. Some areas were dry, hard, and thin while many were so wet and spongy that the carts damaged the fairways if driven over them. Drives plugged in these areas. Balls had to be moved to drier areas to get solid footing. Grass along the cart path was not cut and balls were easily lost. Overall, course management needs to be improved. No clubhouse or restaurant.

"Save your money"

Bob7330937's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2017

This is a typical Jim Engh course you either love it or hate it. You would need to play a few times to know where to place your shots. The front nine had some irrigation issues in the fairway and very wet lies were the norm. If you are out of shape I would go somewhere else because you are climbing up and down the whole round. My three playing partners enjoyed it but I won't be coming back anytime soon.

"Do NOT waste your time"

jcbarthold's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

We had a group of 12 for a guys weekend of golfing. We had arranged tee times several months in advance with agreed upon green fees. The pro shop staff was less than hospitable and came across irritated that we had a discounted rate. They overcharged the first person and then the coordinator in our group mentioned the group rate and he claimed there was nothing he could do. I've already processed it....and just stared at us. Ended up giving us range tokens for the difference. Everyone in the facility acted as if they were new, untrained, and lost, with a complete lack of any sense of customer service.

When we got on the course the only pleasant personality was the drink cart girl. We were harassed by Craig (the Marshall) telling us to speed it up; that groups behind us were calling him complaining about slow play. We later asked about that and were told the GPS units on our carts would advise us if we were playing behind schedule and not a single cart had that notice.

Another employee at the course later admitted that Craig is always a jerk and he just wanted us to speed up because he wanted to go home early.

The course was in good shape and a very nice layout but the service and treatment completely ruined the experience. I would advise to steer clear of this place until some wholesale staff changes are made.

Commented on 09/07/2017

jcbarthold,

Thank you for taking your time to send in your comments. We are very unhappy to hear about your negative experience with the staff. We are undergoing a transition there but that is no excuse for poor customer service. I would love to talk to you more about your trip. Please email me at info@LakotaCanyonRanch.com

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2017

Really great vistas Course we over watered and some by CNET's had little sand in gen. Biggest issue pace of play took 5 hrs. Course allowed fivesome and did nothing to encourage faster play ruined round.

"Don't play."

hogan555's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

This is a typical Jim Engh course. Mickey mouse. Just like Redland Mesa and Fossil Trace. Why people pay him money to design golf courses is crazy.

Course Layout: Poor

"Good, But Not Great"

whynotgolfatl96's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This was the 2nd day of our 3 rounds in the mountains.

Having played Redlands Mesa the day before we were expecting the conditions to be as good or better based on the price....overall they were pretty good, but the greens had a lot of poa in them...not nearly as smooth, for a noonish tee time.

The views were really nice. As with Redlands, most holes played from an elevated tee down into the canyons. A few blind shots on this course, carts had GPS for yardage only, no pics of holes...I will say the 18th is a great risk, reward hole to finish.

We'd certainly play it a again, but not for the rack rate we paid....it's good but not great.

"Lakota Canyon Golf Club"

bhagerman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/14/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Lakota is a fun very dramatic course with elevated tees and lots of valleys. There are a lot of blind shots. The greens had just been punched so they were not very good. But overall it was a good experience. They are building a new clubhouse, so there are basically no amenities at this time.The views are beautiful.

"Second Time Is A Charm"

Ostateman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/08/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

This was my second round at Lakota Canyon with the first being last year about this same time.

The early spring season in the Rockies can be hit or miss, but this weather held and the course was in excellent shape for this time of year.

The greens were soft and a bit slower than normal which was due to the allowance of early season growth. That was fine with us since it was our first outing of the new season.

The outside staff was friendly, but the inside guy was a bit unwelcoming probably due to us playing with a Golf Now discount of only $27 each (with a cart). But his dour attitude didn't deter us from enjoying our first outing.

The first time I played, I took the (bad) advice about playing from the tips in order to enjoy a better view. Well, this time we played from the blue tees and enjoyed the view just as much without the hassle of an additional 100' vertical climb and ascent from black tee boxes. Plus, the blue tees were much more enjoyable and favorable to our game at this early time in the season.

The course is building a new clubhouse which should make the overall experience much more enjoyable and easier to complete the full day. Currently, one must register at one location, then drive up the hill to the course. The new clubhouse will have a great view and add much to the overall satisfaction of this fun venue.

I can hardily recommend this course as a fun, yet challenging course for the decent golfer.

"Amazing"

wetboy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2015

The course was absolutely perfect!! Just 2 days before closing and the greens were soft and rolling consistent and true. Tee boxes perfect, fairways green. Did I mention how sweet the greens were? Lol

"This course is a gem."

u732050532's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2015

No better place to play fall golf. They even punched the greens two weeks prior and it was back to perfect in no time. Once the club house is finished, this course will be on my list to play every year.

"Awesome mountain course"

semsak's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/02/2015

I love the course. I just would appreciate a warning for plugged and sanded greens. Might not have played knowing this up front. This is reason for low condition rating.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Spectacular!"

relivgolfers's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2015

Phenomenal views from every angle. Always driving "up" to hit down! A definite must play and even more so, a definite must "replay". Course was in great shape, wide open fairways. Love watching the golf ball fly against the mountain backdrop. Highly recommend playing more than once!

"Awesome!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Each hole on the front 9 was spectacular! My wife & I were so impressed we stared looking at houses for sale & lots for sale on the course. The back nine was challenging as well & almost as spectacular as the front nine. We will be playing this course many more times even though we are over an hour away!

Commented on 09/03/2015

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are always thrilled to get a 5 star message. Lakota is a great place and we hope it will only continue to get better. A new clubhouse is in the plans, we hope you will become regulars!

Thanks again for playing Lakota, we hope you will be back soon.

"Wonderful course"

smrees's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2015
First time playing Used cart Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

We had a great afternoon. Something for everyone. Enough tee boxes for every level of play.<br/> We will definitely play there again.<br/> When they get the clubhouse finished it will be perfect.

smrees,

Thank you for posting a five star review! It means a lot to us.

We appreciate your business and hope you will be back at Lakota sometime soon.

"Fun golf course"

Fred9458669's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2015

Bowl shaped fairways and elevated tee shots give this course it's name! Great time playing here.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

Fred,

Thanks for playing Lakota and leaving your great review. I wanted to thank you for your business and for taking the time to comment. We will see you soon.

Ryan S, Warrior Golf

"Wow! What a course"

Eric2993084's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2015

This course is one of the best I have played. Gorgeous and very challenging. The only thing is they were under construction and we had to pay at one stop and drive to the carts. Other then that awesome.

Eric.

We appreciate your business and thank you so much for leaving such a nice review.

We are in the planning stages of a new clubhouse at the top of the hill. When that is completed, we will have a more traditional setup for carts.

Thanks again, we hope you will play Lakota again soon.

Ryan S, Warrior Golf

"Great Views!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2015

Had a great time playing this course. Awesome views! Couple of strange holes with totally blind shots to the green, but overall enjoyed the rest. Staff was really friendly, but there is no clubhouse near the turn and start.

"Goofy golf"

hogan555's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Just a weird course. Too many elevated tees and bind greens. Just built on terrain that a golf course should not be built on. I enjoy walking and that is not possible there. Not as bad as Redlands Mesa but a typical Engh course. If you want some good views play it. If you want to golf try another course.

"Every view at every turn got better and better"

dmarshvip's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2014

Stunning views. Great layout but course knowledge is a must on some holes that have "hidden" greens from parts of the tee box and fairways. It is a mountian course that has hitable fairways but challenging shots to the greens. GPS is helpful but could use an upgrade to include the hole layout so you can see where you are going. Great condition and true greens. You will want to play this course again and again!

"Playing Lakota in the Fall"

PaulRSchmidtlein's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I have played Lakota before (on my trips from Kansas City). The scenery is always spectacular and the course was in excellent condition. I especially enjoyed the fact that there were no deer flies on the back nine (a problem in the summer). My only mistake concerned a hazard in the middle of the fairway that was marked with yellow? tape, but when I stepped onto the gravel to pick up my ball my foot went ankle deep! Other than that the course is wonderful, please hurry up with the new clubhouse.

Commented on 08/27/2015

I have been playing Lakota Canyon since it first opened and generally speaking, I am a fan of other Jim Engh designed courses I've played in Colorado as well, but Lakota Canyon is special in my opinion.

I last played June 15, 2015 on the way back to Denver from Salt Lake City by myself and as usual, had a blast! My sons and I play Lakota Canyon together at least once a year and always look forward to the experience!

When one rates the condition of a golf course you have to keep in mind the location. Lakota Canyon is a mountain course that is played seasonally and subject to varying degrees of harsh Rocky Mountain winter conditions. I can only imagine the amount of work necessary in the spring to get it in playing condition and maintaining it throughout the season. Kudos to the course staff!!! That being said, it was in phenomenal shape in June.

I LOVE the way the course plays!

The clubhouse is another story. Those who have played Lakota Canyon before are familiar with the temporary clubhouse (trailer) that used to be located adjacent to the parking lot high above the course and with an absolutely gorgeous panoramic view of the course and especially Hole #18 .

"New" clubhouse plans have been in varrying stages of progress since I first started playing with nice architectural renderings and drawings posted on the 'old' clubhouse wall in the old trailer and with the common refrain from the pro shop staff, "Construction will start in the spring!" Same thing I heard year after year.

I'm not sure where they're currently at in the decision making process, but as far as I can tell, the "still" temporary pro-shop/clubhouse is at the present time located in what I believe is the "Community Center", SEVERAL BLOCKS from the parking lot you have to drive to AFTER paying at the "Community Center". The parking lot is still next to the #1 and #10 tee-boxes, practice putting green and driving range and where you park to pick up your golf cart. Not very convenient!

After making the 'turn', there's no clubhouse to go to for food or beverage. The only option is a 'pop machine' located next to the driving range south of the parking lot. Best bet is to bring food and beverage with you. A real bummer! Incidentally, I have never seen a 'Beverage Cart' and I don't believe they offer that service.

Whether the plan is to scrap the "NEW" clubhouse build and continue working out of the present remote location they're currently located at on a permanent basis , I am not sure. While recently playing in June, there was still no evidence of excavation and no indication that construction has been or will be started any time soon.

A good golf course needs to have a conveniently placed Pro-Shop/Clubhouse in my humble opinion. Perhaps they can move their current location a little further yet to the 7-Eleven at the bottom of the hill next to I-70. All kidding aside, I love your course, but come on, get that clubhouse built! Can you imagine eating in a nice clubhouse with breath-taking views of Lakota Canyon??? I have to believe that would bring in non-golfers as well.

If you're not going to build a (conveniently located) clubhouse, at least put the old trailer back. That was better by far than the current scenario.

The "clubhouse" aside, Lakota Canyon is a wonderful Rocky Mountain Golf Course! Try it, you'll be pleasantly pleased! And, don't forget extra golf balls and your picnic basket and cooler.

Dennis Smith<br/> Arvada, CO