SilverRock Resort - Arnold Palmer Classic

4.4200000000 4.4 stars from 5 (400)

• 79179 Ahmanson, La Quinta, CA 92253

Greens: Bent Grass
Golf Season: Year Round

GPS: Yes

Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire must be worn at all times. Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times. Men's shirts must have collars and sleeves.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MC, AMEX

Tees

Silver 72 7578 yards 76.3 139

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5
Overall Condition: 4.3 stars from 5
Food & Beverage: 4.1 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive near local attractions   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Terrible conditions"

Rodney2280129's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2015

I get that it's summer and that we are in a drought and that they need to aerify to maintain the turf, but wow, what a disappointment after really enjoying this course on our trip at the same time last year. They seem to have poorly managed the watering - the course was soggy in most areas and completely parched in the rest. The greens were awful - Dustin Johnson would have five-putted some of the greens. Overall, not worth the time to play it. Won't be back.

Overall Condition: Poor

"Summer Condituons"

levibreck's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2015

Course was rough due to aerification and wet conditions. Price was adjusted to match conditions. The biggest complaint is the amount of sand in the traps. After each sand shot, I needed to take off my shoes and empty the sand out of them. I look forward to playing the course when it is in good condition.

"Great Course"

Sean5937873's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2015

Normally great conditions but in preparation for the heat greens have been recently Aerified . That was not a big deal but the fairways were so wet you felt like you were doing damage driving a cart on them . Tough unless you can pick your irons splat if you don't . One temporary green that was just being Aerified pro shop said nothing about this but the price was discounted . Always a fun course I smile sure in a week or 2 conditions will be fantastic . Fairways are very wide on most but not all holes . Lots of bunkers protecting the large greens . Pretty views as much of the course hugs the mountains . Typically you will see some desert Bighorn Sheep grazing on the back nine as I did Sunday . Staff is always nice food is very good and fast .

"A classic course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Palm Springs has so many excellent courses, but for me, this is the best of the best. The layout is challenging and clever, and never predictable. It is one of the most visually stunning courses I've ever played, with the Santa Rosa mountains coming right up to the fairways' edge. The mountain sheep are a treat, as they graze at the edge of the course. This is a must-play course, one of Arnold Palmer's best. And the practice facilities are first rate. Get out a couple of hours early and work on your game. SilverRock gets a 12 out of 10.
Cal from Melbourne

"Rick from Beaumont"

oninfour96's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Excellent course layout and course conditions. Played the weekend before scheduled aeration, and greens were just fine being medium fast and smooth. Best views of the mountains and wildlife in the desert. A little pricy, but plenty deals available to make it a must play.

"The Finest"

Bill9690704's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Last year I had booked to play Silverrock but the big rain storm washed the place out. I was disappointed as I had targeted this as a "must play" for myself.

So I have been watching for a an opportunity to get on at a reasonable price since the course came back. On this day my golf buddy an I played Terra Lago and were happy as clams with that facility, we got done at 1pm and thought, heck we're out here lets play another round somewhere. Silverrock came up at an acceptable price so we booked it and scooted over to play another 18 holes.

So to put it simply, this is finest facility and course I've ever played. The staff was fantastic the views were staggeringly beautiful, and the course was a feast of challenging and scenic shots. The Desert Bighorn were on the course which for me makes this my number one choice for golf in the La Quinta area. The sand was marvelous, the fairways sublime, the greens spectacular.

We had the place to ourselves which was a huge plus as well, being new to the track. I couldn't recommend a course more highly than Silverrock. We plan to go often now. Get out there, you will not be disappointed.

Course Difficulty: Moderate

EXCELLENT CONDITIONS,SCENERY,CHALLENGE ....,ECT
SAW AROUND 30 BIGHORN SHEEPS
PLAYED WITH A LOCAL WHICH HELPED

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"A must play in the Palm Springs area"

StephanGuertlerGA's avatar
Industry Insider

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This former PGA Tour host course is fun to play. There are no homes on the course (a rarity in the area) and the scenic mountain views never get old. The course has numerous bunkers that can quickly wreck your score. This is definitely a "must play" course which is among the best public courses in the area.

Player Tip: Get a yardage guide and try to avoid the many fairway bunkers.

"Not worth the money"

tinmancan's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/26/2015

Unless you're a resident of the area the course is way too expensive for what it is. Fairways are generous, the greens are O.K., they were slow and quite beat up when we played, the pace was slow...but the kicker was it started to rain when we were on the 10th tee so we decided to try to continue but it started raining harder and getting windy so after the 11th hole we headed in to see if they would give us a rain check. No dice. As it probably only rains about 6 times a year in La Quinta you'd think they'd be more willing to accommodate you. Again if you're a resident you don't pay much to play this course but the rest of us pay a premium. Overall its not worth the money...there are lots of better courses in the area for 1/2 the cost.

"SILVERROCK"

hparkexx's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/14/2014

Everything was great except that when we got there there, it was "cart path only", no exceptions. They asked if it noted that on GolfNow and I told them "NO". I did note that AFTER receiving my confirmation and AFTER I paid that the receipt noted to check course for conditions. We had a member of our party that still played but it was quite difficult and he had to pick up numerous times. It would have been nice to know this ahead of time.

"Silver rock golf"

Robert5962225's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2014

Beautiful course, well maintained, a must play in the valley, will play every year

"Silverrock"

OttawaDan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2014

Great layout, course knowledge a plus on some holes. They put in a lot of effort on condition. Range is perfect, putting, chipping, sand everything you need to warm up.

"It is a wow!"

VDenfeld's avatar
Handicap: 15-19

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2014

A wonderful desert golf experience! Great pace of play. Friendly and helpful staff

"Backdrop"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2014

Playing up against the mountains adds to the overall beauty of this well appointed course. A 'must play' for all avid golfers.

"Great Vistas"

golfmacnow's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

beautiful course tucked against the mountain, Great help on course. new sand it traps makes this tough course but very fun

Course Difficulty: Somewhat Challenging

"Tough front nine (twice)"

MikeMale's avatar
Handicap: 20-24

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/27/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

They are working on the course right now and only the first 9 holes are open - which you play twice. Because of that it cost less than $30 and that is a bargain. It is a tough course and is not for the faint hearted. I find it a real challenge and it gets the better of men each time but it is still a great course.

Try it. It will be re-opened as an 18 hole course on the 4th November

Course Difficulty: Extremely Challenging

"Last Time to SilverRock"

jaymag's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Very nice course, only the front 9 we're open so we played it twice. Excellent greens.

I was very unimpressed with the host / gusest service person at the cart loading area. When we arrived we told him we were in the area playing several different courses. When we mentioned one of them, he proceeded to make some very rude and unprofessional comments about the course, which we had told him how much we had enjoyed it.

I think we'll stick to course that act in a positive, professional manner in the future.

"NINE HOLES CLOSED"

Charles3640740's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2014

Overall this is a great course. One BIG problem. We had no idea that the back nine was closed! As a matter of fact, the starter told us it had been closed since MAY for irrigation canal work. We played the front twice; first time from the WHITE and the second time from the BLUE/WHITE combo just to shake things up a bit. OH, and they were working on all the bunkers and native areas too...

Course Difficulty: Moderate

"A Piece on "The Rock""

Golfjustgolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2014

As a La Quinta resident, I have played Silverrock many times. Despite the ongoing construction to move the aqueduct, the course is still in wonderful condition and a treat for the senses. Of course, with only nine holes open, one must play those nine holes twice to get in a full round. But we had fun trying to outdo our front nine on the back nine.
The big beef I have with the course is that it is classic "target golf". Almost every hole is fronted by bunkers or water. On many holes, one can not play a Scottish-type "run-up" shot to get on the green. That's probably because the course was designed for play by the pros, but since they don't play here any more thought might be given to a redesign to lighten up on the level of difficulty.
We (senior golfers) compensated by playing from the green tees, which are forward of the white tees. This made a very significant difference in the level of difficulty, and in our enjoyment of the course. If, like us, you are not comfortable with 170-yard (or longer) carries over water or acres of sand, give those tees, or even the red tees, a try. The course doesn't know you're moving up, and no one else really cares either!

"9 holes closed"

Hightop19's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The only problem was that 9 holes were closed so we played the front twice.