Sandals Emerald Reef Golf Club

• Sandals Emerald Reef Golf Club, Queen's Highway, Great Exuma, The Bahamas,
  • www.sandals.com

Year built: 2003
Architect(s): Greg Norman (2003)
Type: Public/Resort

Tees

Emerald 72 7001 yards 74.1 140

Average Rating 4.3 stars from 5
Course Layout: No ratings so far

"The most beautiful hole I've ever played"

mtpingr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/12/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I stayed at the Sandals resort from Dec. 8 - Dec. 17 playing this course on back-to-back days. This being the 200th different course I've played it ranks as the third best in my official list of courses just behind Torrey Pines South and Wolf Creek.
Like mentioned before, the front nine is much different than the back nine is difficulty and scenery. Don't get me wrong, the front is every bit as enjoyable to play but without the views. However, it is very stunning on the front as well in it's own special way.
The back nine is picture taking central. The most incredible views that I have ever seen. The ocean waters of the Exuma islands are hard to put into words. Hole 13 has to be the most breathtaking one I've ever played.
As for the course itself, it is very challenging but lucky for me I had very little wind on both days I played it. The greens are large and receptive and the fairways are pretty generous too. I absolutely loved this place from start to finish. With an uncapped amount of beverages they give you at the starters area, the beverage cart was not needed.

Player Tip: Like everyone says, pack a lot of extra balls because you won't find them if they go out of play.

"Five star views"

JasonDeeganGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/22/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I debated long and hard if this course has what it takes to earn five stars. It's close but the lack of playability holds it back a bit. It's one of the toughest resort courses I've ever played, a typical Greg Norman ball-buster. If you play it losing less than four balls - especially in the three club wind we experienced - you've had the round of a lifetime. The front nine disappears into the mangroves. It's loaded with water. I would love the 291-yard fourth hole if it had a bit more room to land safely. I pumped two into the marshy lake on the left and moved on. The back nine is an entirely different experience. It's wet and wild with the wind picking up as you head out onto exposed land jutting into the sea. The short 11th and 13th holes are simply magical par 3s. Both my playing partner and I let out a 'wow' when we turned the corner and saw the par-4 12th hole, where waves crash on the rocks up to the left side. The 14th starts with an interesting blind tee shot on a risk-reward 303-yard par 4. The par-5 15th and par-4 16th are both downwind but treacherous. What a visual experience - if you don't run out of balls first.

"Nice course but not amazing..."

Cervaza11's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2014
First time playing Used cart Excellent weather

Played this course 3 times with a friend of mine. We stayed at Sandals Emerald Bay for the week. Course is nice and good condition. Front nine was a bit boring with straight away fairways and nothing appealing to the eye. The back nine had holes along the ocean and a bit more challenging than the front. It's almost as if they are letting this course go down hill. I expected to be blown away and wasn't at all. Would I play it again? Sure cause I love golf! Can I wait to go back? Let just say I'm in no rush...