St. Andrews Links - Old Course

Carts: Yes - medical certificate required
Caddies: Yes

Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard Welcomed

Yellow 72 6387 yards 71.4 129

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions   Great for walkers a bucket list/top 100 pick advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens thick rough   Great for drinks

"#1 Bucket List"

picayune1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2017
Previously played Walked Windy weather

Played for the 8th or 9th time and I'm still surprised why I keep lining up at 4:30 AM to play this course. It's not that great a course, not even my top 5 links, but there is definitely something about the place that makes you want to keep going back. Take a caddy, take a breath and relax because you're playing "The Old Course" and enjoy. Listen to your caddy, he knows more than you!

"Greatest course in the world"

mbaggs32's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

This was my second time playing the Old Course, and the first since 2010. I can't say enough about it. There are no ocean views and the course is always full. But it's the Old Course and it doesn't disappoint.

The majority of the holes are memorable because you're seen history made on them before. There is nothing like that first tee shot, with people coming up 18 and some walking through the middle of the fairway. A tee box full of players and caddies and a crowd gathered to watch.

The key is to keep it left at all costs and you better have control of your lag putting on the double greens.

I would rather play this course a third time than almost any other course a first time.

"My first stroll around the home of golf"

JayCoffinGC's avatar
Golf Channel

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/11/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

I've covered two Opens at the Old Course and had several chances to play but it just never worked out. I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to happen. So, I had been planning this trip for the previous 6-8 months.

We were bummed to see that the weather was supposed to be awful, but it was perfect. Only rained for about 5 minutes, and the wind was about 15 mph, exactly what you want because it was enough to make you truly appreciate everything it has to offer.

It was better than I ever imagined. Everything about it. For starters, my caddie Norm, was just tremendous. A proper Scottish caddie. The different options presented on each hole were a real treat and the layout is iconic.

The walk back into town on the last 6 holes is overwhelming. I just couldn't get enough of it all.

I'll remember every shot I hit there for a long, long time and it may be the best golf experience I've ever had, and I've had a lot of great ones.

And I played well. A true bonus.

"Calm down and enjou the course!"

18thhole's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Played the Old Course 3 times in a 10 day period. Got there bright and early (5:00 AM), got in line, signed in at opening (6:00 AM) and got off at 8:10, 11:30 and 1:10. Had played it before but wanted to get a real feel for the course by playing it 3 times in a row. It's a must play course just for the feel and the history. Caddies are a must, especially for reads on the greens because of the subtle breaks you just won't see. The older the caddy the better for their greater knowledge and the fact they won't be checking text messages all the time. Front nine very playable, course stiffens on the way in. Try not to hit the hotel on # 17 and keep left at all times.

"Fun at the Old Course"

PhilBlackmar's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2015
First time playing Walked Excellent weather

I had a wonderful time at the Old course and would cherish a return trip. With that in mind, this is a synopsis of my first trip....

In July of 2000, I accompanied Jim Flick and 30 others on a trip to Scotland, Ireland and Spain to play some of the world.s finest courses. Included in our agenda was a trip to the Old Course where I had never played.

The weather that day was spectacular without a breath of wind, which really was too bad as I hoped to play wlth at least a modicum of elements to get a true feel for the links. As I walked to the first tee, my caddie was with my clubs at the regular tee. When I told him that I wanted to play the back tees, he laughed and said that I wasn't allowed. I asked to whom I should talk to and he referred me to the starter with the trailing words "but it won't matter".

I showed the starter my PGA Tour credentials signifying that I still had status as a player on the PGA Tour and asked if I could play the back tees to which he simply replied, "NO". I asked again hoping I had missed something but the answer remained.

After six holes I sat at even par which wasn't very good given the weather and short tees but my caddie had now figured out I could play a little. Upon heading to thge 7th, he mentioned the greens superintendent was standing nearby. Upon reaching him, my caddie explained I was a PGA tour player and "they" wouldn't let me play the back tees. He asked "who they were" and my caddy replied the starter. He then said "well it's not his call, it's my call". My caddy quickly followed with "can he play the back tees then" to which the superintendent said "NO". Haha

As luck would have it, I played the next 12 holes 9 under par with a three putt for a 63. My caddy was beside himself when I birdied the last.

The next day we went to Carnoustie, arriving two hours before our tee times. I immediately went to the first tee and asked if I could play the back tees that day to which the starter replied "NO"....but then he asked "are you Mr. Blackmar are you?"..."yes". "Let me make a call" he said. A few minutes later he came out of the starter's hut and said the best player in town was coming to caddy for me and I could play from any place I wished!!!! You see, it's about 25 miles from the Old Course to Carnoustie and apparently they did not want anyone shooting 63 on their track.

With a 20 mph wind blowing, from the back tees measuring a little over 7400 yds, I shot a very respectable 73 that day and was very proud. If you have a chance to visit that part of the world and play some golf, by all means go and take your sticks..

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Perfect"

AKAllo's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2014

It's not often reality exceeds expectation, but here it did. Easily in my top 3 courses ever played. But the whole experience makes it number 1

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"There's No Place Like Home"

GaryWilliamsGA's avatar
Golf Channel

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

There is no better combination of town and course than St. Andrews. One of the most charming towns in the world sharing the landscape with one of the most enjoyable and fascinating golf links makes for the ultimate combination of golf and culture. Ive been fortunate to have this experience with the company of members of the R&A, which includes lunch and a thorough tour of the R&A clubhouse. It is mind blowing to see history on full display and then set out to play the Old Course. Some have admitted that the Old Course is an acquired taste but since my first round in September of 1995 to my most recent in October of 2013 I loved every hole, every step and every moment. A local caddy is a must to navigate it for the first time. You must know your ideal line based on your skill level and that can be uncomfortable unless you have a trusted looper to guide you thru the trip.<br/> Teeing off in front of the R&A building is daunting and there are always towns people or tourists walking along the rail that serves as a boundary for the golf course on 1 and 18. You play out of town starting on the 1st and you turn for home from the 12th hole on in with the steeples and chapels growing closer with every step. There are several drivable par 4's and reachable par 5's as long as you are playing the proper tees which is demanded of you from the starter. Don't expect to play it "all the way back" unless you can prove you are an expert. You will notice immediately that a left miss or favoring the left side of most of the fairways allows you to avoid the most trouble and the fairway bunkers with the exception of holes 10-11 and to a lesser degree the road hole 17th. Speaking of which, the tee shot on the road hole is unique and cant be duplicated. You will find yourself with 150 foot putts with the double greens and also using putter from well short of the green because the lies can be very tight but most every hole is not front by any bunkers and few forced carries and you have many creative options around and in front of the greens. This walk is unmatched on earth and you MUST play the Old Course if you love golf. When its over, dip into the Jigger Inn and the Dunvegan to re live the experience with a pint. History on the walls and the best post round haunts in town. If the old course doesn't rival the best experiences you've had in golf Id be shocked. There is no place like the home of golf.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Television does this course no justice!!!"

4mac4golf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 9 holes Excellent weather

The time I played the course, I had the best weather that you could have for that area. No rain, very little wind and 72 degrees. Holes 2 thru 7 have more adulation and blind bunkers that you can imagine. There is a snack buggy/truck at the end of hole 9 along with the bathroom. The cost is outrageously expensive. The dollar is weak against the pound. I tried getting a cheaper rate, but it was close to impossible with the number of people that came out to play everyday. If you get the chance to play, do it. And if you have the extra money to spend, go just up the road to Kings Barn, you will be out $400.00 dollars, but it will be well worth it. This place puts Pebble Beach to shame.

"Where it all began"

MikeRitzGC's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Ranked 7 in the world, 2 in Scotland.

Mecca.

The birthplace of our game. The one course all golfers must play before they move on to the 19th hole-in-the-sky.

This might sound strange (consider the source), but The Old Course at St. Andrews might be the most under-rated course in the world. Yes, it’s ranked seventh globally and second in Scotland, but many reviewers say The Old Course is great because of its historical significance, not because of its lay-out and design. I beg to differ.

I’ve now been lucky enough to play The Old four times; and every time I play it, I appreciate it even more. It is truly a great trak. Every single shot requires your full attention. There are so many subtleties that come into play on every hole. Bunkers to avoid, angles to take, which side of which mogul to hit off the tee, where to land your approach so it bounces to the green, not the gorse. How do you keep your approach shot below the hole so you won’t putt your ball off the green? You will use every club in your bag over the 18 holes at The Old Course — to me a sign of a truly great course.

There’s The Principal’s Nose, Spectacles, Bobby Jones’s Bunker, The Road Hole Bunker, The Valley of Sin, The Swilcan Bridge ... so many bunkers ... so many places you have seen on TV or read about ... and now you’re playing there, yourself. This is where Bobby Jones got his second Open Championship win in 1927 ... Snead won at St. Andrews in 1946 ... Peter Thomson won his 2nd of three straight Opens at The Old in 1955 ... Jack won here twice ... So did Tiger. So much history here and now you’re playing there, yourself.

Undoubtedly, you will play two of the most nerve-racking shots of your life at St. Andrews. You will definitely feel the first-tee jitters as you start your historic round in front of the Royal & Ancient Clubhouse. As nervous as you might be at this mythical course, remember the first fairway is 140 yards wide! Worry about your second shot when you need to clear the Swilcan Burn.

Your nerves will be tested at the end of the round, as well. Expect to play the 18th hole in front of a crowd. Scots love this game they invented; and they will stop and watch anyone play it. The 18th green at the Old Course is almost always surrounded by the good people of St. Andrews. After all, they do own the course.

If you want to guarantee a tee time at The Old Course, my advice is to do it close to a year in advance. Head to www.standrews.com to get started.

When you play any of these wonderful courses in Scotland, make sure to take caddies. They will certainly help you navigate these mysterious links; and most will share quite a bit of history, peppered with a few salty jokes.

"Must Walk at Least Once (But should Twice) in a Lifetime"

JeffArenson's avatar
Denver Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

Played the Old Course as part of a foursome. I got to the starter at 8:00 in the morning and was placed on a waiting list. Was told that there would be time in the afternoon at about 2:00. Went back at 2:00 and was on the course at 2:15. Whatever you have to do, and there are a variety of options, to get on the Old Course-Do it. To go to St. Andrews and not play the Old would be missing out on the whole place.

The most important piece of golf architecture and History await you at St. Andrews. If you don't get first tee awareness here, then you never will. Double fairways, double greens, numerous bunkers (Some obvious; some Hidden) are there for you to enjoy.

They say that the more you play the Old Course, the more you appreciate it. I am sure that this is true; however, I appreciated it's greatness during my one round there. Be prepared for real links golf. The fairways are wide; however, you need to hit the correct side of the fairway for approaches to be probable. Being on the wrong side can leave a blind approach, put hazards into play or both. The Greens are large and you will need your Lag putting to be on. For these reasons, a caddie is a great idea.

The only fair warning I can give you is that like Pebble Beach, everyone wants to get on to the Old Course. Be prepared for a 5 hour round.

When you take the relatively low cost in to account for a top 10 golf course in the world. You might as well play it twice. That is my only regret.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Day to Remember at the Home of Golf"

trojangolfer's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/10/2014
First time playing Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Fair weather

What an experience that I'll never forget. I was fortunate to play the Old Course at St. Andrews on my honeymoon. I was told to arrive early...since I was playing as a single...so I showed up at 3:30am to get in line for the starter. I didn't want to take any chances! And sure enough...there was already one person there! My wife, who wasn't a golfer at the time, tagged along. Eventually...the starter arrived and there was an opening for me and other single players who were lined up behind me. I made the tee sheet!

My group went off around 7am. I had a wonderful experienced caddie. From the moment I hit my first tee shot...I had goosebumps running down my body the whole time just thinking about the historic setting. I just thought about the hallowed ground I was walking on and all the great legends who had walked on the same course before me. Getting to hit putts from well off the green and taking lines off the tee I never would have thought about...made for a unique experience. The views were outstanding! I just hit it where my caddie told me. I actually played pretty well. A little rain and wind came up as I started the back 9. I played well on the front...shooting around 43...but the back 9 was tougher and I couldn't avoid the trouble like I managed to avoid on the front 9. That rough is penal! The holes had a nice variety to them. I so wanted to hit my driver over the hotel on 17...but I naturally played it a little safer taking it down the left side of the hotel. Walking over the Swilcan Bridge was so magical. It's wild to see how wide that fairway is! I actually hit it down the right side...little too close to the road but put my approach with a 9-iron on the green and safely over the Valley of Sin. People were watching! There was quite a crowd...probably mostly made up of tourists. What a big time moment! It's truly a unique experience. Savor each minute you're there. Take it all in. And what a charming town. Take time to visit all the historic museums and stores along the road off the 18th hole. The Old Course is a must play for any avid golfer - an experience of a lifetime - and a memory savored forever.

"Birthplace of Golf - How can it get any better?"

NWBirdieBoy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/09/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

There are those places, like Augusta, Cypress and St. Andrews, that can't truly be appreciated until you have been there and that's the case here. The "Old" course is everything and more that one imagines. The crossing of 7 and 11, is always interesting to see the "right of way". We played 2 straight days and had a different wind, with the same caddies. Recommend you take a caddy to navigate the hidden bunkers, coffins and swales. The history alone is worth the round, if you play well, consider it a bonus!

"You gotta play here"

acadia's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2014
First time playing Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

If you're a serious golfer and you have the opportunity to play here, you had better take it. The history of the place demands it. It overwhelmed me on the first tee when I was thinking more about where I was than hitting my golf ball. It was a dead shank that drew a few chuckles from my playing companions. After those first tee jitters though the game got much better.<br/> The course itself is like nothing you will find here in the States. From blind shots to bunkers that you could hide a small house in, to the double greens, one of which is almost an acre square this will be a round that you will never forget.<br/> There is also the added bonus that when your sitting with your buddies in the 19th no golf story will cause more envy than when you casually mention that you've played the Old Course.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"No round quite like the Old Course"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2013
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

The Old Course is, indisputably, the most unique links course in Scotland, and an absolute hoot to play.

Seven massive double-greens steal the show here, where putts can be well over 100 feet long, and the short game is severely tested. The routing, which is a counter-clockwise direction with a most unusual loop around the back of the course, means pulling most tee shots left will find you in good shape, while pushes to the right could find you out of bounds.

There are a lot of reasons why St. Andrews is such a favorite: the town itself is the best golf town in Scotland and probably the world. But the design is ingenious after all these years because changing wind directions make the course play entirely different on a day-to-day basis (I realized this the second time I played the course in a different wind). New bunkers come into play, some par 4s go from brawny to drivable. It's an extremely complicated golf course.

That said, it's still quite playable for the average player (particularly compared to say, Carnoustie up the road). It's tough to not get goosebumps when playing the 17th & 18th holes.

Enjoy the ride, and be aggressive off the tee.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Play the fabled Old more than once"

MattAdamsGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2013
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

The experience of playing the Old Course starts long before you step upon the first tee at the venerable “Home of Golf.”  Propriety saw it’s original 22 holes reduced to 18 and the template was forever more.  Interestingly, if one is not otherwise swept up inexorably in the significance of what the Old Course represents, many depart a maiden tour more bewildered than enraptured.  give it time, as time is one of the Old Course’s greatest assets.  You simply must play the Old Course, but strive for more than once and give it time for it’s nuances to be revealed, as time is one of the Old Course’s greatest assets.