Coronado Golf Course

Architect(s): Jack Daray
Type: Public/Municipal
Greens: Kikuyu Grass
Fairways: Kikuyu Grass

Dress code: Collared Shirt Required, No Cutoffs. No tee shirts. Golf Shoes, Tennis Shoes only. No sandals.
Credit cards accepted: MasterCard Visa card(s) Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Blue (W) 72 6590 yards 78.2 137

Average Rating 4.3 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city

"A real WOW!!"

Richie4326581's avatar
Boston Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2016

While on a golf trip to play Torrey Pines I had the pleasure to play Coronado as well. I was blown away. Great conditions and super course!! I was lucky to play with 3 members who were friendly and helpful, I'll actually stay in touch with these gentlemen and meet to play with them again. Course plays along the bay with a lot of holes with great views. Tee boxes, greens and staff all first class. Make sure if you get a chance to play here leave time for lunch and cold beverages at grill room. I had a salad that was fantastic!! Daily lunch specials and happy hour drink prices can't be beat. I'll get back here ASAP. I played 3 course in SD area and this one ranks with Torrey.

"Very Enjoyable to play, great views"

JerryKC's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Coronado golf course on the island of Coronado, CA is one of the most heavily played courses in the U.S. For as much traffic as it gets, the course is in great shape. There are great views of Navy ships and the bay from all over the course. While only 5 or 6 of the holes are actually on the water, probably 16 of them have views of the bay. Great value too if you are willing to wait till 48 hours in advance to book. It's a pretty flat course as well so walking is easy, and with perfect mid-70's temperatures it's great weather to carry. We play this course every time we are in San Diego on vacation. One word of caution, be prepared for a 5+ hour round, especially if you play in the afternoon. But hey, if you're on vacation, what else do you have to do but be outside in the perfect San Diego weather?!?

Socalsam's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2016

"Nice muni great views!"

kejoal69's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2015

Played here as my wife got me a gift card for this course. Greens are immaculate and roll very true. Course is very walkable. There are a couple of holes that have two greens for some reason so you have to know which one is in play. Great views of San Diego bay. Pace of play is on the slow side but it is to be expected as that is a known thing about this course. Have a tee time or you can be here a while waiting to get on. Really enjoyed the course and the layout.

"Great Course, Great Value."

sherpaboy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2015
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I think this is a great value, perhaps the best value in the San Diego area. I play here every time I go to SD (annually).
The greens are good and the fairways are in reasonable shape. The track itself is fun and wraps around the island on the south side. Lots of great views from every hole.
It can be hard to get a tee time, but if you are a single just show up in the morning they will get you on. I have never waited more than 45 minutes to play.

"Perfect - and cheap!"

HollandA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2015
First time playing Paired up at course Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

What a wonderful course. I showed up early in the morning as a singe, without a tee-time. The marine layer was still covering the sun, but it was comfortable. I got paired with a couple of the locals who played often, and could help direct me on some of the blind shots.

The course is almost totally flat, but the design is interesting - and takes the small hills to make a few blind shots testing.

The back nine is not to be missed, as the course plays along the water, where it almost reaches the Hotel del Coronado, and plays along the marina. The greens are subtle, but challenging.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Never Better"

uQKJH6609QK's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2014
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I played the Coronado Course for the first time and found this course to be in the best shape of any of the courses I've played this summer. The drought was so hard on most of the golf courses, but the Coronado Course was perfect. Very green and very few dry spots. I enjoyed my day and can't wait to play there again. I hope this help!!!!!!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"My 2nd Course played, EVER !"

eddiehil's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2013
Previously played Paired up at course Walked Played 9 holes Excellent weather

As a 28 year old learning the game of golf for the first time (I am 62 now), I had the distinct pleasure to live and learn in the area of San Diego, Ca.
My wife's aunt lived on Coronado Island and in our trips there I learned of the Coronado Golf Club; you see it on your left side as you cross the Coronado Bay Bridge from S.D.
My first go round was with a group of guys who were collegiate golfers from Kansas; I was a beginner.
Sorry, I digress.
In any case, as time went forward, I came to play at Coronado at least three days a week. Typically we arrived at the course prior to daybreak, teed from # 1, once we saw the flag on the green. Played the front and payed the green fee as we made the turn.
The guys in the club house were, and I suppose are still, great!
This course is ALWAYS maintained to the highest standards. The greens crew are exceptional.
The views of the San Diego Bay and surrounding areas are spectacular. The Coronado Yacht Club can be viewed along the back nine as well as the Naval fleet and the training grounds of the SEAL TEAMS.
There is history here as well. The golf course opened to play on December 19th, 1957. On that day, Don Collett, Gene Littler, Paul Runyan, and Billy Casper played the inaugural round of 18 holes. IF you do not know these guys .....never mind.
IF you are in San Diego for any reason and have an opportunity to play golf, you have two choices; Torrey Pines and Coronado. PLAY BOTH if possible, if not play Coronado, you will be glad you did.

"Defines "value" golf in America"

MattGinellaGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2013
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

For $35 you get a walkable muni that finishes along the San Diego Bay. (It's $30 during the week.) Critics will poke at the pace of play, but it has gotten better over the years, and for that green fee, and that setting, what's the rush?! San Diego is full of good public golf options, but Coronado is the perfect mix of non-pretentious clientele, foursomes of all ages, shapes and sizes, pull-carts, carry bags, and buckets of beer, with a courteous staff and satisfying food options. As I travel the country...the world...it's hard to find better value than Coronado.