True Blue

Fairways: Bermuda

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper Golf attire, no denim on golf course.
Credit cards accepted: All Major, Cash and Traveler's Checks

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

"What a treat."

Matthew3304221's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/06/2017

Great layout and 10 beautiful holes that were framed by large yet fair waste areas. Course was in great shape tee to green. Greens were smooth and rolled true. Get a course map to aid in tee shots. we played white tees to accommodate all players in our group so hat to choose 3 woods or hybrids on a number of holes but plenty of room for driver on majority. From blues apparently difficult and plenty of room for driver. If I played again it would be from blue tees.

loved this course. just wish a little cheaper or we had used a service to get better rates then booking online ala carte.

"Good, but definitely not great"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

Course was in OK shape. Some issues with fairway being inconsistent. Greens were generally good, but didn't have the roll you would expect from a $125+ course. We played on a replay from the sister course, Caledonia. Thank goodness it was only $59 to replay. Staff were great, very friendly. Course was wide open so no delays. Caledonia speaks for itself, but we also played TPC Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach Natiinal - Kings North. I would play both of those courses before True Blue.

"Good not Great"

eligiocanada's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Not quite up to the standard of its sister course, Caledonia, but a very good course nonetheless. Wide landing areas make it easy to get off the tee, but it does get quite challenging after that. It's always on our play list during our semi-annual spring trek to MB.

"Mike Strantz the goat"

Isaaccoates97's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/15/2017

First off it was below 30 Fahrenheit the morning I played, so nobody was on the course. I also took out a golf board, pretty chilly but that's not the point. This golf course is spectacular, it shows traces of what Mike Strantz was about to do at his later courses. It's a great design, takes a few rounds to be fully appreciated. The conditions were pretty good, firm and fast, that's how the course feels like it was meant to be. I truly think this course is underrated and is the second best course on the strand, (after it's sister). Also I'd like to add that I played both this and Caledonia in the same day, I had planned to walk over to caledonia after my first round but one of the employees insisted that it was too far and generously offered to drive me over. That is going above and beyond. Great service, great course, give it more credit.

"Great venue"

ribeyeman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2017

Plays long and hard. Plenty of trouble to get into. Lots of water. lots of forced carries. Lots and lots of sand and waste bunkers. Don't plan on improving your handicap at this course. Lots of fun!

"Amazing fun at True Blue"

Keith0709's avatar
Georgia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/03/2017

What a great track in Pawleys Island. I had never even heard of the course until I was told that it was ranked in Matt Ginella's top 50 courses in the country. The course was definitely a treat to play and was very well kept.

The course was designed in 1998 and was very buetifuel. The course as well as practice facilities where very nice. The extensive waste bunkers and deep rough was a challenge but the overseeded fairways where good.

The food in the clubhouse was good and man was the clubhouse nice. The best part was the staff that was so nice and helpful. Overall I really enjoyed the course.

Commented on 01/27/2017

True Blue has not overseeded in 2016-2017.

"Play the right tees"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/18/2016

Was eager to see how True Blue stacked up to its sister course, Caledonia. First of all, put your ego aside and play the correct tees. Just because you play the blues at home doesn't mean you should blindly play them away from home. I chose the white tees, which were the middle set, but played 6,300 yards. That is the first difference you will notice between the two Strantz courses - True Blue is much longer. It is also more open than Caledonia. waste areas dominate the landscape, but I never encountered any real trouble playing out of them. The collection of par 3s at True Blue are the course's strength, in my opinion. Best tip I can give after playing? Like most courses, be aware of the grain of the greens at all times. Down-grain putts were very slippery, leading to five 3-putts on the day?!?! The course is very scoreable, however, as long as you keep your tee shots in play. I think the par-4 17th is the most underrated hole on the course. The 18th gets a lot of pub, but you are hitting wedges or 9 irons into 18 in most cases. No. 17 was a solid 3-wood and 6 iron over the hazard to a back pin. Exhilarating shot! Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Great 19th hole from the veranda of the clubhouse. Finally, I have played three Strantz courses, the two here and Tobacco Road. I must say True Blue was the least "Strantziest" course of the three. While there were tastes of the imagination of Strantz at TB, I found it much subtler than the other two.

Commented on 01/23/2017

Brandon, if you have played TR, Cal, and TB but not Tot Hill Farm, you should really get out there to experience Mike Strantz at his most creative. Some people hate it, but those are the people who don't give it a second chance. The first time it will frustrate you, but once you know what to expect it really is a lot of fun.

"Absolute best in the Myrtle Beach are!!"

Ping58guy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/27/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Play the Barefoot courses and Calendonia along with True Blue. True Blue was head and shoulders above the rest! On a 1-10 rating; True Blue was a 9.25. We will be back to play here!

"Get a Golf Board!"

JoeBDA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Good weather

Course was good, but golf boards made it an amazing experience. Worth the extra $29.

I also loved the waste bunkers!

Would play again any day

"Good Course Not Excellent"

sgans's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I enjoyed my round there, this was my first time playing in MB. I had extremely high expectations probably to high. Course is great condition with very forgiving tee shots we played from the Blue. Nice views and some nice approach shots with water in play. The greens looked nice but were rather slow and inconsistent. I think its a 100 dollar course not a $150+ track. I played the Witch the next day and paid 70 bucks which i almost liked even more then True Blue. Next time I would save the 150 and play another course at the 100 dollar level.

"This is a great track"

mark5174291's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2015
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

We rode on the golf boards. What a trip. it was fun skateboarding the course and playing golf . we had a blast. Course is terrific too. Would play it again and again.

"Beauty"

buddhaman4's avatar
Philly Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2015

This course is amazing... Its loaded with waste bunkers which are a lot easier to hit out of then bunkers. The layout and visual on the holes are great. Challenging course but not crazy. As always middle of Fairway drives and you can score well. If you have never played the course I recommend using a GPS that has targets or a yardage book... There are quite a few holes where you can play smart and leave driver in the bag and also score well. Fantastic shape and greens were speedy. I can't really give an actual fair rating for pace as it was cart path only due to rain previous day but still enjoyed this 5hr round. I actually like this course better then Caledonia. It's all a matter of preference though as they both are beauty's. Can't wait to play again.

"A Nice Day At True Blue!"

Lucky1973's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Very enjoyable at day at one of the better courses on Pawleys Island. The course was in great shape & my playing companion and I were paired up with a really nice father & son from NC.

The bag drop staff, the golf shop staff & the restaurant staff were all very friendly and gave great service. However, the starter seemed a bit grumpy and was not very welcoming. Later in the round he turned into a ranger and was wasn't any friendlier. I also noticed he spent a good amount of time hunting for balls in one of the wetlands behind us. He didn't wreck our day or anything like that but having played Caledonia the week before where the staff was just plain awesome I thought we would have the same experience across the board.

Anyway, if you are in the area this one still remains a must play & is still my third favorite on Pawleys. For the record; Caledonia is king in my book and Heritage just nips True Blue for 2nd place.

"True Blue"

LBhakta22's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2015

Good fairways<br/> Greens roll really well<br/> Many waste bunkers<br/> Visually intimidating, but you can play very well here<br/> You're not going to hit every green or fairway, so plan your misses accordingly

"Takes 2nd place to Caledonia."

zbuechner4's avatar
Atlanta Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

I know Caledonia and True Blue are sister courses but True Blue is a step down from Caledonia. Still a fun course with plenty of risk/reward shots. Holes 3/4/18 could be some of the hardest holes I have played. Lots of water on the par-3's, but a good test of golf! Not for the beginner golfer though. I would also recommend moving up your normal tees. This course can play VERY long. The driving range is nice and open and it doesn't have mats (which I loved). Limited scenery compared to Caledonia, but overall a good course and it really was in great condition!

"Great course for longer hitters"

pigdoc's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/22/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This was a course with great design and conditions, challenging layout, but for shorter hitters like me (200 yd drive) many holes were simply too long for par 4. There was not a tee option to play @ 6000 yards. This was a bit frustrating, but still an enjoyable day.

"The greens are the best you will ever play. Even in November and December"

richardmerrill's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2012

This course has it all great greens, and fairways, the tees were over seeded with rye just coming in but was still great. Also a real good practice facility. Plus $2 draft beers at the Pub.

"True Blue Review"

ArwenP's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/23/2012

Enjoyable course. Generous fairways with bailout areas where trouble exists. Greens are large with dramatic features.

"Great course!"

michaelkain's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 8/17/2012

I've heard a lot about True Blue from friends, and after playing Caledonia a few times, finally played. Didn't disappoint - lots of challenging holes and we played fast (in August). Just watch for hitting your balls in the water - we saw a few crocs along the way.