Rams Hill Golf Club

• 1881 Rams Hill Rd, Borrego Springs, California 92004
  • ramshillgolf.com

Year built: 1983
Architect(s): Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983), Tom Fazio (2007)
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.9 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Excellent"

Walleee's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This course is not in the middle of no where. It is the end of no where.

My home course is Pelican Hill, also designed by Fazio. Pelican wishes their courses were in the condition of Rams Hill. Excellent fairways, nice bunkers and excellent greens that run true.

I have played a lot of courses, including Bandon (s) , Spyglass, Whistling Straits, LACC - and although i wouldn't put it in that league it is by far the best conditioned course in Southern California and a great layout. I would place it more like Quintero or Troon North in Scottsdale.

Commented on 04/28/2017

Thank you Wallee for the five star review! We are happy to hear that the course conditions met your expectations! We hope to see you tee off again this season at Rams Hill.

"Fantastic Experience All Around"

texasag's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

This review is compared to some really nice places I have played so realize my criteria is fairly high. I have played places like Bonita Bay, Golf Club of Houston, Bay Harbor, etc. all of which are either PGA tournament courses or have PGA Pro's as members. During this trip I also played PGA West Tournament Course which while nice did not compare to Rams Hill in quality.

At the beginning the check-in was quick and painless and everyone was extremely nice. The bag staff was waiting upon our arrival because the gate phoned ahead to let them know we had arrived. We visited the small locker rooms which are very well maintained and it includes a shower for after the round. We did play a late round starting just after 2pm so the course was not crazy busy, however as a 2-some we did wait on a large group ahead. We still finished our round in just over 4 hours.

The course and green conditions were immaculate and the view fantastic. Someone is constantly repairing the ball marks as we all know the general public is lazy. Thus the greens rolled well, were cut well, and not filled with dead brown spots. The fairways always produced a great lie and the bunkers were well maintained and firm except near the edges which are fluffy; pretty much what you would expect from a tournament quality course. The driving range is not as nice as Bonita Bay but it does rank fairly high in quality. (See attached picture) They even give you Pro-V1x practice balls so no real complaints there. We realized later that even the putting green speed and variability was just like the course, so a good decision to utilize before the round.

The course is fairly forgiving. Fazio designed each hole lower than the surrounding hillside so most balls will stay contained and away from the desert if they are not total shanks or mishits. Many landing areas are generous with some holes short (driveable par 4) and others crazy long (470+ yard par4 uphill into the wind). There are also Short and long Par 3's and Par 5's. The variability produced by Fazio made for a very enjoyable playing experience. (I personally hate designers that have four Par 3's all around the same length. They are idiots IMHO)

After the round my wife and I had the Brioche handburgers with fries in the dining room while we watched The Master's on TV. The staff was very courteous and the food enjoyable. The prices were a little higher than our private club in Houston, but overall not anything that would warrant a complaint. The entire time we felt relaxed, having fun, and good views from the table.

Overall my wife and I loved the experience and if we are ever back in the Palm Springs Desert again we will surely play again.

One last comment for any women players. The Red tee's are less than 5000 yards. That is probably fine for most amature women that can't hit a drive more than 100-150 yards. However, my wife can play and her drive is 220+. She found the course fun but a bit short. She shot an 80 that day. The course slope and rating produces an index above an 8 since it is too easy at that yardage. The next set of tees are about 5800 yards but not rated for women. Fazio has a tendency to ignore women players in his designs and tee box placement sadly. A combo tees with a yardage around 5400-5600 would be nice, or at minimum rate the next set of tees for women as well. Still, we fully enjoyed the overall experience and my wife agrees we would play there again if given the chance.

Commented on 04/13/2017

Thank you for the great review, texasag! We love hearing the experience our golfers have at Rams Hill! We appreciate the feedback and are happy to hear you and your wife had a wonderful time with us. Hope you can visit and tee off at the course again in the future!

"Lived up to the reputation"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017

Golf weekend with my buddies. Course is challanging and still very enjoyable. Fairways are not soft which leads to significant runout.

No dearth of sand traps, bring your A game!

Beautiful water features as well.

Commented on 04/03/2017

Thank you u654378693for the five star review! We are happy to hear you and your friends had a great golf weekend with us! Come back and see us at Rams Hill soon!

"FANtastic Experience"

DCM753's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2017

Rams Hill is a Mecca in the Desert! I was immediately greeted by the friendly and knowledgeable Head Golf Pro Mike Setchell. Mike was very helpful in providing helpful tips to playing the course.

The course itself is in excellent condition and each hole has its own personality. The views are spectacular. The fairways are open for a good shot, but their are several bunkers to grab an errant shot. The greens are as pure as I've putted on, but I did struggle with my ability to read the speed and breaks. Truly one of the best courses I have ever played on. Rams Hill should be on ever golfers bucket list.

My group ate lunch and dinner at the golf house restaurant. The food and service was plentiful and excellent.

My thanks and appreciation go out to Mike and his staff. Do yourself a favor and make time to play Rams Hill.

Commented on 03/31/2017

Thank you DCM753 for the wonderful five star review! We are pleased to hear that you and your group had a great time at the course! Hope you can visit us again soon this season!

"Lived up to expectations"

Ironchef's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

I had very high expectations for Rams Hill as I've read the reviews and heard about it through word of mouth. It exceeded my expectations! I've been playing golf in Southern CA for 30 years and Rams Hill is the the best maniured course I've played anywhere. It was immaculate from the driving range to the greens. I did not have a bad lie all day. Unfortunately we played on a very windy day with 25mph consistent wind which made for a tough day of golf. The layout was fantastic with plenty of risk/reward decisions to really get you thinking about your next shot.

The entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful. My only minor "complaint" was the lunch options. There was only one. We were attempting to play 36 so we wanted a quick lunch but the only option at the clubhouse was the full service restaurant where everyone in Borrego seemed to come for lunch. They appeared to be a little under-staffed in the restaurant. However, our waiter was very helpful and packed our lunches when we told him we were in a hurry. A quick service option would be nice for golfers.

Commented on 03/31/2017

Thank you Iron Chef for the five star review! We are pleased to hear your expectations of Ram Hills were met at your recent visit with us! We love hearing our golfer's experience! Hope you can tee off at Ram Hills again soon.

"RAM'S HILL.... BEST IN SAN DIEGO AREA!"

bighsd's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

If you get a chance to play this course i would highly recommend taking advantage of the opportunity. this is one of the finest courses i have played. Well worth the drive from anywhere if you are close enough. A beautiful clubhouse/restaurant greets you upon arrival and it only gets better from there! all of the 18 holes were challenging and just kept getting better as we went along! I would have to say the course conditions were the best i have experienced in my 40 yrs plus golfing all over the U.S. i will definitely be back soon to play this great course. thanks to Ram's Hill and all of the staff for a great time!

"Stunning"

Matt4799110's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

Really great layout in the middle of nowhere. The course conditions here are fantastic, pace of play was great, and there are lots of interesting and challenging holes. Would like to come back and play it again when there aren't 30+ mph winds like there were on the day we played which made it a slog, but my group loved the layout and conditions so much that this was a minor annoyance.

Need more golf boards - they only have 2. Also service in the restaurant could improve, as it was quite slow. All in all though, this is worth the drive to Borrego.

Commented on 04/05/2017

Thank you Matt799110 for the five star review! We are pleased to hear you had a great time on the course. Come back and see us again soon!

"Amazing desert course!!!"

Scottishthing's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2017

I am a well traveled PGA Professional and have played golf all over the world. This is definitely in my top 5 I have ever played. The amenities were great, staff extremely helpful, and the course design and consitions were unbeatable. If you are lookind to play one of the best courses in the states find this one and play it!

Commented on 04/07/2017

Thank you Scottishthing for the five star review! We are happy to hear you had a wonderful time at Rams HIll from our course to amenities! Come back and tee off with us again in the future!

"Mixed Bag"

inhouse's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

It's sad when the overall experience at such a great golf layout can be tarnished by the quality of food and beverage. It started with the refreshment cart being shut down for the day a half hour after our tee time, with no notice provided. It was 90 degrees out!!! Then we finished our round and were looking forward to the much publicized burger night. We made an advance reservation, got seated promptly and our order was taken promptly. That was the good news. bad news was that the wine and soft drink took 20 minutes to be served, and an hour after that we were still sitting there waiting for our burgers...for 2 people...at which point the waitress came along with her third lame excuse of the day and asked if we would like to have a "10 to 15% discount" off our check. We promptly advised her that she could pay for the wine instead, and we left. A HORRIBLE experience at a premium golf facility! SAD!

Commented on 04/03/2017

Seriously? You're really giving a 2 star rating to a course like Ram's Hill because you didn't see the cart girl?

Hopefully, anyone that reads your review will understand there are just people like you in the world and Ram's Hill is a wonderful golf course.

-JP

Commented on 03/28/2017

it really irks me when bad reviews of golf courses are given about the service cart or the restaurant. did you go there for the food or the golf? just sayin.... i believe your star rating is for the golf and not the food. enjoy the golf and rate the golf course by the golf and not your palate!

"Must Play Course!"

manicolin's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

Heard about Ram's Hill for a while not but was never able to make the trip out (coming from San Diego). Finally pulled the trigger yesterday and I couldn't have been more happy. The course was absolutely pristine with a terrific layout causing you to hit different shots with the majority of clubs in your bag. Greens roll 100% true with no bumps or ball marks. Rough is perfect as well as the fairways. A variety of tee boxes so can cater to all types of golfers. From the tips was about 7,200. I will be coming back ASAP and recommending it to my family and friends.

Commented on 04/05/2017

Thank you manicolin for the wonderful review! We hope you can visit us again soon with friends and family this season.

josephtseng888's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/10/2017

"A fantastic facility!"

Zorro1959's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

Three friends and I spent a week there, staying in one of the homes in the rental pool. The course and practice facility, which include a range with many target greens, chipping green, & putting green, are among the best I've experienced. There are five sets of tees, so distance is quite negotiable. The green complexes are what "defends" par. This was our first experience with "desert" golf, but it certainly won't be our last. The club house/pro shops is modest in size but top quality. The food and wait staff are first rate. We are already planning a return visit!

"Eagle quality...Amazingly beautiful"

tbhall531's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017

I Played Rams Hill twice in the last week and it's worth the hour and a half drive from La Quinta. The tee boxes, fairways and greens are immaculate. The staff is superb and the views from the course and on the restaurant deck are postcard perfect. The 194 yard 3-hybrid Eagle shot on #13 capped off an amazing day. You'll wish you played Rams Hill if you don't.

"Pace of play"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2017

As usual "they" said it was real busy that day and a function went out earlier in the day. More a complaint about people that feel they paid their money and no one is going to rush them. Course was awesome and I would definitely return. Overall it's real nice

"Great Golf Day"

dstew8's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/02/2017

Thoroughly enjoyed our round at Rams Hill. Course was in perfect condition. Weather was perfect. It's a drive to get there but is well worth it. I'll be returning soon.

"Fabulous experience!"

Lorrismccune's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2017

Couldn't ask for a more helpful golf staff! Lots of info in the course. It's beautifully manicured, repaired every night. This course was so fun! Can't wait to return. The excellent reviews are well deserved.

The restaurant was also terrific! Food was fresh, well presented and delicious. The chef went the extra mile for a gluten free request. Wait staff and bartender all exceeded expectations! Thank you!

"RamsHill"

Youngberg's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

It was an excellent course. Best condition of any course I have played. It was windy but otherwise a Great course, huge greens , lots of sand but lots of room to avoid most of them.

"Great views."

Bcsportsinc's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017

Outstanding course. Lots of elevated tee boxes with great views. Fairways and greens in great shape. 5 hour round but worth the wait to play this course. Also gave you time to get to know the people I was matched up with. Starter was outstanding. Meets you at the first tee box to go over stuff. Head golf pro was also excellent. Would definitely play this course again when in the area. The restaurant and club house is also first class. When playing this course show up early so you can enjoy all the amenities this place offers.

"El Perfecto!!!"

uWJPC8673WJ's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/23/2017

Rams Hill is a perfect example of how a golf course should be managed. And it all starts with the staff. This was our first time to Rams Hill in Borrego Springs and we could not have been more delighted with how our day at the golf course went. Every staff person we met seemed to be at the top of their game. From the greeting we received when we first stepped out of our vehicle at the bag drop through to the final farewell as we departed from the restaurant after our round, the staff at the golf course went above and beyond to make us feel appreciated and valued as a customer. There is no question that playing conditions at Rams Hill are absolutely outstanding but on top of it all it was the staff that really stood out on this day.

"Yep....5 stars is right"

sparky14's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017

Not much to add to the glowing accolades for Rams Hill.

My first time out there - it was all you can hope for in a golf course. Perfect conditions. Great layout, tough but not too punishing. Staff was great, and the facilities are top-notch.

I did read one comment about how this could be #1 in a land with Bandon Dunes. Having played Bandon last year, I'll say these are two very different sites. Bandon is an amazing piece of land with great courses - the WOW factor is off the charts. Rams Hill's wow factor is lower, but still wow. Rams Hill gets the A+ for a great course design and immaculate conditions everywhere that grass exists.

If you ever get the chance, do it.