Rams Hill Golf Club

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Best Fairways Anywhere"

upanddown4par's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Absolutely would recommend Rams Hill to any golfer and I'm already planning my return visit.

This course as a terrific combination of excellent design and top-notch course conditions. These were the best fairways I have seen in a long time, and the greens were fast and true.

Along with the conditioning, the layout here is challenging but fair. There are generous fairways encouraging you to hit your driver on all the Par 4s and Par 5s, and then the green complexes are just terrific. They make great use of bunkering, mounds, tiers, and subtle elevation change. Greens are big but getting close to the pin will take a great shot.

We also rented the Golfboards for an extra fee and they were a lot of fun. The course was empty by mid-afternoon, and we got around 9 extra holes on the Golfboards in 1hr 12 min.

Commented on 03/10/2016

Thank you so much for coming and playing. We appreciate all the great feedback, and we're glad you had such a great time!

"Magnificent"

rjb7911's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2018

It is hard to believe that a course this beautiful is in Borrego Springs. As with many Tom Fazio designs, it is fairly generous off the tee but a lot more challenging as you approach the greens. Excellent conditions, a great mix of short and long holes, it flows very well. The greens, in particular, are wonderful. I had played here once before and the pace was not good at all - much better this time - about 4:10. You want to be able to enjoy the views and calculate the best way to play each hole.

Commented on 01/18/2018

Thank you rjb7911 for visiting Rams Hill from Arizona. We are pleased to hear your second visit had a better pace. We appreicate the five star review and course feedback from your recent visit. Hope to see you hit the greens at Rams Hill again this season.

jtew2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/13/2018

Commented on 01/18/2018

Thank you jtew2 for the five star rating!

"Fantastic course in the middle of nowhere!"

srose007's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/11/2018

The condition of the course was immaculate and the staff was top-notch. I don't understand why they put this course in the middle of nowhere but I recommend playing it at least once!

Commented on 01/16/2018

Thank you srose007 for the wonderful five star review! We are glad your expectations were met on your visit. We take pride on great feedback hearing our golfer's experience. See you again in 2018!

Commented on 01/16/2018

Thank you srose007 for the five star review and course feedback from your recent visit at Falconhead! Hope to see you again hitting the greens this season!

"Great Experience Don't Miss It"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/10/2018
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Other than we picked the only day SoCal had rain and wind since last Feb the experience was fantastic.

Will return to play again when I know there won't be wind

Commented on 01/15/2018

Thank you u250123463 for the five star rating and course review from your recent visit at Rams Hill! We are happy to hear the weather didn't turn you away.. Hope to see you again in 2018!

"Rams Hill"

nickesquire's avatar
California Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/07/2018

Played the Blues (6369/70.9/131) with Ron, Matt and Brian in the GK Plays in 4H, 20M. Overcast and calm in the 70's, excellent golf weather.

Tom Fazio design, I like the course layout, I can see the high slope rating. Concerning course conditions, everything was in the 9-10 out of 10 range across the board.

The tees were lush and very well maintained. Large, level with few divots, mowed down close, near immaculate.

The fairways were lush with few divots. A couple of discolored areas but still excellent overall.

The rough was also very lush. Thick and even though the ball usually sat up, long enough to make longer clubs a chancy play. Get outside the maintained rough and the native rough is lost ball thick.

The sand traps were nicely maintained with good quality sand. I don't see how a public course in a windy area could maintain their traps any better, and there are close to 100 of them total on this course.

The greens were firm, smooth, medium fast and rolled well. Perhaps not as pristine as prior visits, but still excellent overall.

The customer service was excellent. The pro shop staff, Starter, Marshall and Drink cart were all excellent to deal with. Had a salad after the round, efficient, friendly service. The setup of the all grass driving range with the complementary Pro-V range balls is top notch. Most of the range is sand, with numerous grass greens set up as targets in 25-30 yard increments so you could hit almost any club and feel like you were hitting into a green.

Many holes are visually intimidating with 97 well placed traps and a decent amount of water. Four different sets of tees for men, all varied by 400-500 yards. The course was fair, not overly tight and an excellent test of golf. Definitely recommended.

Commented on 01/08/2018

Thank you nickesquire for the excellent course feedback regarding your recent visit at Rams Hill. We appreciate your insight and are pleased to hear you had a great time. We hope to see you again teeing off at Rams Hill in 2018.

Bwallis87's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/01/2018

Commented on 01/08/2018

Thank you Bwallis87 for the five star rating! We hope to see you again at Rams Hill soon!

"Requires a few additions to be great"

GolferTom67's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/27/2017

We booked a two-some on GolfNow based on comments I read on Golf Advisor. The course conditions and level of difficulty were as expected - excellent.We and to drive 1.5 hours to get to the course so we had reasonable expectations that we would receive similar service as we do at the Palm Springs area courses who are charging similar rates. We played with a couple who have played there many times and it was a good thing we did since there are no GPS systems on the golf carts and no yardage books offered in the pro shop. For a course this challenging and charging a high-end price, a golfer would expect that the carts would be equipped with GPS and the course would provide you with a yardage book. In order to compete with similar courses in the Palm Springs area they should visit them and see what is provided for a similar +$100 green fee. I will recommend this course to friends but will inform them of this so they can make up their own minds if they want to drive the extra distance for less service.

Commented on 01/02/2018

Thank you GolferTom67 for the review and feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We hope to see you in the New Year for great golf at Rams Hill!

"An outstanding golf adventure."

EGL01's avatar

Previously played Used cart Windy weather

The adventure began at 3:30 am from Orange County arriving at the Rams Hill course just before 7am. We were cordially greeted and directed to the Practice range. The range was stocked with Pro V-1 golf balls stacked in a pyramid as well as hand held range finders at each station. As we were warming up Mike, the manager of the course, greeted us and brought us our carts loaded and ready to go. He was very friendly and welcomed us to the Club as though we were special guests. He gave us an overview of the amenities and pointed us towards the first hole when we were finished warming up.

I have never been to a course as well kept as Rams Hill. Even in the dead of winter the fairways were dark green and perfectly manicured. The greens although very challenging were absolutely perfect. The course has a number of strategically placed bunkers of varying heights, each filled with perfectly raked, white fluffy sand. They seemed to attract the ball quite often due to the slope.

It was cool in the morning but warmed up as we played. The last few holes it began to get a little windy. We finished a little before noon and stopped for lunch at the club house. Food was great and the staff was cordial and professional. We decided that since we had come such a long distance we were going to play another 18. Staff changed out our cart so we wouldn't get stranded.

The wind was a little cool and challenging but towards the 2nd nine it calmed down. We finished the last hole just at dusk. As we finished, staff members came out and cleaned our clubs. Mike greeted us again and thanked us for visiting the course.

Playing this course was truly an adventure and a once in a lifetime experience. I belong to a private club and have not experienced a more professional and friendly staff. We were treated as though we were PGA tour players. Thanks for a great time. We will be back.

Commented on 01/02/2018

Thank you EGL01 for the five star rating and course feedback on your recent visit to Rams Hill. We hope to see you hit the greens again the New Year!

"unbelievable"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/21/2017

Had the pleasure to be invited to a 36 hole outing from a friend who had played here before. he raved about the course, the conditions and the staff. we drove up from San Diego at o dark thirty for a 715 tee time. upon arrival at this magnificent facility I knew I was in for a early Xmas present. the range is incredible, prov1 range balls , lush areas and even range finders. after a little warm up we were greeted by the director of golf, Mike. he welcomed us and asked us to demo one of the new carts that are being purchased soon. can't say enough about how professional and inviting Mike made us feel. as far as the course, I can only echo the prior reviews of how top notch this facility is. There is nothing about it I could find that would merit nothing less than five stars. it's well worth the drive from SD or anywhere 100 miles to come and experience this. had lunch after our first 18 and the food was terrific. pace of play was great, not very crowded today. our second round found us with the course pretty much to ourselves which was probably due to a bit of chill and wind which was not that bad. after a great day at Rams Hill for all we all felt that this had been one of the best experiences playing golf. I would recommend a stay and play for anyone out of the area. The rates and more than reasonable, the accommodations are affordable and it would not disappoint. Thank you Mike and all your staff for all the hard work you put in to make your facility one of the best.

Commented on 12/27/2017

Thank you u000003940359 for the detailed five star review regarding your recent visit to the course. We hope to see you again soon hitting the greens in the upcoming New Year.

"My Favorite Course to Play"

jkirschbaum's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/21/2017

As a golf coach in San Diego, I've been able to play almost all of the courses in San Diego, including most of the top private clubs, and I can say without hesitation that Ram's Hill is the finest golf experience in San Diego County and beyond. The course is immaculate, the setting is beautiful, the staff is welcoming and genuinely interested in you having a great experience, and the bar/restaurant is top-notch. What really sets Ram's Hill apart from the rest, however, is the layout and condition of the course. The course is beautifully maintained and the layout is really fun to play, plus you have the option to challenge yourself if you elect to play the gold or black tees. This was the 4th time I've played Ram's Hill and I'm already making plans for my next round, can't wait to get back out there!

Commented on 12/27/2017

Thank you jkirschbaum for writing a great five star review. We are pleased to hear that your expectations were met at your recent visit. Hope to see you again in the upcoming New Year!

"Awesome course and staff!"

Kitayama11's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/20/2017

Heard a lot of great things about this course and it's even better than what people say! We came to play for a friend's birthday and had a great time!

The course is in incredible shape. One of the most challenging but fun courses you could play. I wish I could play this course everyday!

The faculty is great especially Mike Setchell. Mike is such a friendly guy and can't thank him enough for what he did for us. He made sure that we had a great time and we did! Thanks Mike!!!!

Commented on 01/15/2018

Thank you Kitayama11 for the five star review and feedback on your course experience. We hope to see you tee off at Rams Hill in 2018!

"borrego spring GEM"

jtgolfadvice's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/20/2017

Rams Hill is a great test of golf and it seemed like everywhere i was i had a great lie. the ball rolls so nicely on the smooth greens. A great Fazio design, well worth the drive out to borrego springs.

Commented on 12/27/2017

Thank you jtgolfadvice for the five star review! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time at the course. Hope to see you hit the greens again in the New Year.

"Another awesome experience"

scurrygolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/20/2017

Played here for a buddies bday last week and couldn't be more impressed. The course and ambiance is that of a high end private club. The food at the clubhouse restaurant was amazing as was the staff. The golf course was in perfect condition with the greens running at about an 11.5 on the stimp. I wish I lived closer so I could play this course all the time!!!

Commented on 12/27/2017

Thank you scurrygolf for the five star review. We are pleased to hear our staff was helpful and attentive on your recent visit. Hope to see you tee off on the greens in the New Year.

"Great course layout"

steves2099's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/16/2017

One of the best courses in southern Ca., if not the best, considering their green fees.

Commented on 12/21/2017

Thank you steves2099 for the five star rating and review! We hope to see you tee off again in the New Year at Rams Hill!

"Amazing course!!"

mjs44's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2017

Love this place!! We played 36 holes with a promo and couldn't ask for better course conditions, friendly staff and it might be the best course in Southern California. We played 2-rounds and both under 4-hours. Try doing that at another public course in S. Cal. I will be back!

Commented on 12/22/2017

Thank you mjs44 for the five star review! We hope to see you again in the New Year!

"Great Course in all Weather Conditions"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

I Played Rams Hill for the first time on 12/14/2017.

I had heard so many great things about this course over the last two years and was very anxious to play here with obvious high expectations. This course and facility did not disappoint in any way. First the staff when first calling to make my tee time was extremely friendly and efficient. Upon arrival we were greeted promptly and made aware of where everything was.

Proceeded to warm up on one of the best practice facilities I have experienced (PRO V1's for range balls are you kidding me!) then to the course. Wind was blowing at times this day upwards of 20mph (which is not the norm having played the other two courses in the area) but this course accommodates very well to that. Course from tee to green in great condition and every hole is a joy to play. Definitely will be back to play again.

Commented on 12/21/2017

Thank you u00000855317 for the five star review and rating from your first visit with Rams Hill. We are happy to hear your expectations were meet after the two years of hearing about us. Hope to see you tee off with us again in the New Year!

"Scenic gem in the desert"

gmacintosh's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2017

Awesome desert course in great shape, although greens seemed a little worn with footprints. Very friendly staff and great restaurant, and what a view.

Commented on 12/21/2017

Thank you gmacintosh for the four star rating and review regarding your recent experience at Rams Hill. We are happy to hear you had a great time at the restaurant as

well as on the course. See you again soon!

"Awesome"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/11/2017

Great layout. Great conditions. Fast greens 11.5 on the stimp. Don't be above the hole! This course is as good as it gets. You won't be disappointed. We booked for 11am on golfnow but the course called and changed us to 11:40. When we checked in, the guys behind the counter in the pro shop didn't make us feel welcomed. We wondered if it was because we booked through golfnow? The only part of the experience that could have been better.

Commented on 12/14/2017

Thank you u000001057316 for the five star review and feedback regarding your course experience! We hope to see you again at Rams Hill again this season!

"Perfect"

Ryan1280996's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2017

amazing look just like the pictures would definitely recommend anyone I'm trying to go once a month from San Diego

Commented on 12/21/2017

Thank you Ryan1280996 for the five star review and hope to see you again in January!

"A must play for any golfer"

mjbeck72's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2017

One of the best and most fun courses to play in Southern California. There's not a bad hole on this golf course and it has something for everyone. Conditions are superb and staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We come to Rams Hill once a year with a group of 12 players and play for 2 days and always have such a blast. We rented two homes on the golf course which worked out perfectly for our group. Looking forward to doing it again next year and many more to come.

Commented on 12/14/2017

Thank you mjbeck72 for making the drive from San Diego to tee off at Rams Hill! We appreciate the five star review and feedback from your course experience. Hope to see you and your group again soon this season.