Rams Hill Golf Club

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Average Rating 4.9 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Best Fairways Anywhere"

upanddown4par's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/26/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Absolutely would recommend Rams Hill to any golfer and I'm already planning my return visit.

This course as a terrific combination of excellent design and top-notch course conditions. These were the best fairways I have seen in a long time, and the greens were fast and true.

Along with the conditioning, the layout here is challenging but fair. There are generous fairways encouraging you to hit your driver on all the Par 4s and Par 5s, and then the green complexes are just terrific. They make great use of bunkering, mounds, tiers, and subtle elevation change. Greens are big but getting close to the pin will take a great shot.

We also rented the Golfboards for an extra fee and they were a lot of fun. The course was empty by mid-afternoon, and we got around 9 extra holes on the Golfboards in 1hr 12 min.

Commented on 03/10/2016

Thank you so much for coming and playing. We appreciate all the great feedback, and we're glad you had such a great time!

"RAMS HILL GOLF"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Last day of Season at Rams Hill, brought a group of 20 out. Got a great rate. Course was pretty browned out, but Pro had called earlier in week to let us know of conditions and lowered our rate to accommodate. Weather was extremely hot got to 110 plus. But course Staff made us cooler(wet towels,plenty of water and great attention to our needs , including beverage cart just for our group) pretty much the only ones on the course. Because of the Staff being so great it turned into one of the most pleasant golf days in years. Course is a great challenge and we look forward to making it out there when it is lush and cool.

Commented on 06/20/2017

Thank you u000003868036 for the five star review! We are happy to hear that you and your group had a fantastic time and closing the season with us. We hope to see you in November when Rams Hill opens up to cool weather and improved greens. See you again soon!

"Amazing! Can't wait to go back!"

grunguss's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Everybody, and I mean everybody, at this course worked hard to make our round there unforgettable. Each staff member we were in contact with, from the superintendent to the pro shop manager, to each and every employee made it obvious that we were important to them. I can't wait to return to this course this fall after they reopen. Would strongly recommend them to anybody who enjoys golf and being treated well!

Commented on 06/19/2017

Thank you Grunguss for the five star review! Hope to see you again hit the greens at Rams Hill this year.

"Rams Hill Golf Club: Priceless gem in the desert"

alohadave's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

I brought a 3some out to play Rams Hill a little over a year ago. We've played 60 to 70 courses in the Coachella Valley/ Palm Springs area and over 100 courses around the country, and we came away from our 1st time playing it saying that we thought it was in our top 3 that we'd ever played!... every hole is different with beautiful Vistas awesome layout design and amazing greens! The staff from Mike Setchal who greeted us and made us feel right at home and gave us tips about how to play the course, to the Pro Shop and the restaurant, all made us feel like we were VIP's! We can't wait to come back in November and play it again. This is undoubtedly one of the best designed and managed Fazio courses in the country. Do yourself a favor and make a tee time when they reopen in November. It's a priceless gem!

Commented on 06/19/2017

Thank you alohadave for the five star review! We are looking forward to see you again in November!

"MASTERPIECE"

billyGsmile's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

I have played over 200 golf courses in my life. This is 1 of the best I have ever played. Top Notch , first class all the way. Course layout and condition was awesome. The staff was very friendly. Mike Setchell a rams hill employee gave us great tips on how to read their challenging but fair greens while checking us in. All in all just a spectacular day and place. I will return often.

Commented on 06/16/2017

Thank you billyGsmile for the five star review! We are happy to hear you had a wonderful time at the course and that your expectations were met. Hope to see you again soon at Rams Hill!

"fun in the sun"

genejb1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I loved the golf course and the practice area. I think I waited a week or two to long to play here. The fairways were starting to go brown in areas, other areas were hard pan. But then they close for the season in 2 weeks for a reason. Greens were excellent, sand very soft, tee boxes were great. Can't wait for next year, but I will play in May instead of June

Commented on 06/07/2017

Thank you genejb1 for the five star review. We apologize that the course conditions did not meet your expectations. We hope to see you again hitting the greens with us!

"Bummer"

jessemauser's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

For a course known for upkeep and conditions, I was disappointed. I am aware that they close for the summer at the end of June (we were there June 1st), but they may be pushing that close date further out than they should. The fairways were mostly dirt and scrub, and the greens were painted, dry and hard. I’d give them another chance in the winter with more favorable weather, if it weren’t for the fact that I had clubs stolen from my bag while it was under the care of the club, or with how poor they handled the situation.

Apparently, it was my fault for trusting them. They did offer to sell me comparable replacements at a discount if I wanted to take advantage of that offer, and they did loan me a rental driver and putter which they let me use over the weekend while I was there (the two clubs stolen), but there was no culpability on their behalf, and no concern around keeping my business or providing a level of service that I would have expected for a club like this. In the end, they gave me the rental putter which I’ll hopefully be able to trade in for a $50 credit somewhere. Needless to say, it left a poor taste in my mouth, and I won’t be returning.

Commented on 06/08/2017

While golf advisor does not allow us to update our original reviews, I would like to amend my original critique of the club. They have been very professional and sincere with handling my very rare situation, and I intend to visit the course again in the fall/winter months when they open back up. This is an exceptional golf course, run by people who do sincerely care.

If I could update this review I'd give the club four stars. And I'm sure that after I play in normal conditions, that it will be hard not to score them a five, just as the majority of golfers have.

Sincerely,

Jesse

12susie1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

"Pure Greens"

BandonCaddie's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017

The best customer service at any public course that I have played.

Did I mention how pure the greens are? A great Fazio design!

Commented on 07/06/2017

Thank you BrandonCaddie for the wonderful five star review! We hope to see you in November!

"This Golf Destination is a must play!"

MaryHurja's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017

Outstanding Golf Course From Tee to Green!

Fairways lush and greens fast. This 18 hole Tom Fazio design delivers!

It is a bit of a hike for us living In La Quinta CA, but well worth it!

Great Staff and Great Food!

We will be back!

Commented on 06/29/2017

Thank you MaryHurja for the five star review! We hope to see you hit the greens with us again in November!

"Worth The Trip Everytime!"

ChiChiTheKing's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Played Monday afternoon at 3:30pm with the entire course all to myself. Just rained in the Coachella Valley the past 2 previous nights! Air had a crisp but humid feel. Partly cloudy. Tee boxes level and flush. Played from Gold tees. Black tees have teeth! Dont hit em up if you can't pipe minimum 280 yard drives and 250 yd 3 woods. Wind was at worst 10-15 miles playing all directions as you wind at the furthest point about 1 mile away from the clubhouse. Greens can be a touch quicker but I understand in the desert heat, rolling the greens can damage and totally bake them out. Had to play out of the bunkers picking the ball clean as the rain compacted the sand. Absolutely love Rams Hill! The staff is awesome and the course and it's immense surrounding beauty keep me coming back time and time again. Thank you Mike for being such a devoted and passionate pro at the club keeping the course immaculate all the time for us golf nuts! Job well done bud!

Commented on 05/26/2017

ChiChi, Great call coming out to the "Hill" that day! Weather was perfect. Thanks for your kind words about your experience at Rams Hill, we appreciate our loyal customers. :-)

Commented on 05/11/2017

Thank you u5220729 for the wonderful review regarding your experience on the greens! We are pleased to hear your expectations were met at the course. Hope to see you at Rams Hill again soon.

"Excellent"

Walleee's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This course is not in the middle of no where. It is the end of no where.

My home course is Pelican Hill, also designed by Fazio. Pelican wishes their courses were in the condition of Rams Hill. Excellent fairways, nice bunkers and excellent greens that run true.

I have played a lot of courses, including Bandon (s) , Spyglass, Whistling Straits, LACC - and although i wouldn't put it in that league it is by far the best conditioned course in Southern California and a great layout. I would place it more like Quintero or Troon North in Scottsdale.

Commented on 04/28/2017

Thank you Wallee for the five star review! We are happy to hear that the course conditions met your expectations! We hope to see you tee off again this season at Rams Hill.

"Incredible."

tbrett527's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017

I've been fortunate enough to play a lot of golf courses around the country, from Bandon to Pinehurst and lots in between. This course is as good as any I've ever played. The design of the course is spectacular. Every hole is different than the last (you never think, 'hm, I feel like I've played the same hole over and over.') and what's best, there is not a bad hole out there. You get everything a golf course should offer: risk/reward, amazing views, and pure conditions. Even a couple drivable par 4s if you want to roll the dice on the back 9. Everything about this place is top notch. Can't wait to go back.

Commented on 05/02/2017

Thank you tbrett527 for the great review! We are pleased to hear your recent visit with us at Rams Hill fulfilled your expectations. Hope to see you again soon this season!

"Fantastic Experience All Around"

texasag's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

This review is compared to some really nice places I have played so realize my criteria is fairly high. I have played places like Bonita Bay, Golf Club of Houston, Bay Harbor, etc. all of which are either PGA tournament courses or have PGA Pro's as members. During this trip I also played PGA West Tournament Course which while nice did not compare to Rams Hill in quality.

At the beginning the check-in was quick and painless and everyone was extremely nice. The bag staff was waiting upon our arrival because the gate phoned ahead to let them know we had arrived. We visited the small locker rooms which are very well maintained and it includes a shower for after the round. We did play a late round starting just after 2pm so the course was not crazy busy, however as a 2-some we did wait on a large group ahead. We still finished our round in just over 4 hours.

The course and green conditions were immaculate and the view fantastic. Someone is constantly repairing the ball marks as we all know the general public is lazy. Thus the greens rolled well, were cut well, and not filled with dead brown spots. The fairways always produced a great lie and the bunkers were well maintained and firm except near the edges which are fluffy; pretty much what you would expect from a tournament quality course. The driving range is not as nice as Bonita Bay but it does rank fairly high in quality. (See attached picture) They even give you Pro-V1x practice balls so no real complaints there. We realized later that even the putting green speed and variability was just like the course, so a good decision to utilize before the round.

The course is fairly forgiving. Fazio designed each hole lower than the surrounding hillside so most balls will stay contained and away from the desert if they are not total shanks or mishits. Many landing areas are generous with some holes short (driveable par 4) and others crazy long (470+ yard par4 uphill into the wind). There are also Short and long Par 3's and Par 5's. The variability produced by Fazio made for a very enjoyable playing experience. (I personally hate designers that have four Par 3's all around the same length. They are idiots IMHO)

After the round my wife and I had the Brioche handburgers with fries in the dining room while we watched The Master's on TV. The staff was very courteous and the food enjoyable. The prices were a little higher than our private club in Houston, but overall not anything that would warrant a complaint. The entire time we felt relaxed, having fun, and good views from the table.

Overall my wife and I loved the experience and if we are ever back in the Palm Springs Desert again we will surely play again.

One last comment for any women players. The Red tee's are less than 5000 yards. That is probably fine for most amature women that can't hit a drive more than 100-150 yards. However, my wife can play and her drive is 220+. She found the course fun but a bit short. She shot an 80 that day. The course slope and rating produces an index above an 8 since it is too easy at that yardage. The next set of tees are about 5800 yards but not rated for women. Fazio has a tendency to ignore women players in his designs and tee box placement sadly. A combo tees with a yardage around 5400-5600 would be nice, or at minimum rate the next set of tees for women as well. Still, we fully enjoyed the overall experience and my wife agrees we would play there again if given the chance.

Commented on 04/13/2017

Thank you for the great review, texasag! We love hearing the experience our golfers have at Rams Hill! We appreciate the feedback and are happy to hear you and your wife had a wonderful time with us. Hope you can visit and tee off at the course again in the future!

"Lived up to the reputation"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017

Golf weekend with my buddies. Course is challanging and still very enjoyable. Fairways are not soft which leads to significant runout.

No dearth of sand traps, bring your A game!

Beautiful water features as well.

Commented on 04/03/2017

Thank you u654378693for the five star review! We are happy to hear you and your friends had a great golf weekend with us! Come back and see us at Rams Hill soon!

"FANtastic Experience"

DCM753's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2017

Rams Hill is a Mecca in the Desert! I was immediately greeted by the friendly and knowledgeable Head Golf Pro Mike Setchell. Mike was very helpful in providing helpful tips to playing the course.

The course itself is in excellent condition and each hole has its own personality. The views are spectacular. The fairways are open for a good shot, but their are several bunkers to grab an errant shot. The greens are as pure as I've putted on, but I did struggle with my ability to read the speed and breaks. Truly one of the best courses I have ever played on. Rams Hill should be on ever golfers bucket list.

My group ate lunch and dinner at the golf house restaurant. The food and service was plentiful and excellent.

My thanks and appreciation go out to Mike and his staff. Do yourself a favor and make time to play Rams Hill.

Commented on 03/31/2017

Thank you DCM753 for the wonderful five star review! We are pleased to hear that you and your group had a great time at the course! Hope you can visit us again soon this season!

"Lived up to expectations"

Ironchef's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

I had very high expectations for Rams Hill as I've read the reviews and heard about it through word of mouth. It exceeded my expectations! I've been playing golf in Southern CA for 30 years and Rams Hill is the the best maniured course I've played anywhere. It was immaculate from the driving range to the greens. I did not have a bad lie all day. Unfortunately we played on a very windy day with 25mph consistent wind which made for a tough day of golf. The layout was fantastic with plenty of risk/reward decisions to really get you thinking about your next shot.

The entire staff was extremely friendly and helpful. My only minor "complaint" was the lunch options. There was only one. We were attempting to play 36 so we wanted a quick lunch but the only option at the clubhouse was the full service restaurant where everyone in Borrego seemed to come for lunch. They appeared to be a little under-staffed in the restaurant. However, our waiter was very helpful and packed our lunches when we told him we were in a hurry. A quick service option would be nice for golfers.

Commented on 03/31/2017

Thank you Iron Chef for the five star review! We are pleased to hear your expectations of Ram Hills were met at your recent visit with us! We love hearing our golfer's experience! Hope you can tee off at Ram Hills again soon.

"RAM'S HILL.... BEST IN SAN DIEGO AREA!"

bighsd's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

If you get a chance to play this course i would highly recommend taking advantage of the opportunity. this is one of the finest courses i have played. Well worth the drive from anywhere if you are close enough. A beautiful clubhouse/restaurant greets you upon arrival and it only gets better from there! all of the 18 holes were challenging and just kept getting better as we went along! I would have to say the course conditions were the best i have experienced in my 40 yrs plus golfing all over the U.S. i will definitely be back soon to play this great course. thanks to Ram's Hill and all of the staff for a great time!

"Stunning"

Matt4799110's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

Really great layout in the middle of nowhere. The course conditions here are fantastic, pace of play was great, and there are lots of interesting and challenging holes. Would like to come back and play it again when there aren't 30+ mph winds like there were on the day we played which made it a slog, but my group loved the layout and conditions so much that this was a minor annoyance.

Need more golf boards - they only have 2. Also service in the restaurant could improve, as it was quite slow. All in all though, this is worth the drive to Borrego.

Commented on 04/05/2017

Thank you Matt799110 for the five star review! We are pleased to hear you had a great time on the course. Come back and see us again soon!

"Amazing desert course!!!"

Scottishthing's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2017

I am a well traveled PGA Professional and have played golf all over the world. This is definitely in my top 5 I have ever played. The amenities were great, staff extremely helpful, and the course design and consitions were unbeatable. If you are lookind to play one of the best courses in the states find this one and play it!

Commented on 04/07/2017

Thank you Scottishthing for the five star review! We are happy to hear you had a wonderful time at Rams HIll from our course to amenities! Come back and tee off with us again in the future!

"Mixed Bag"

inhouse's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

It's sad when the overall experience at such a great golf layout can be tarnished by the quality of food and beverage. It started with the refreshment cart being shut down for the day a half hour after our tee time, with no notice provided. It was 90 degrees out!!! Then we finished our round and were looking forward to the much publicized burger night. We made an advance reservation, got seated promptly and our order was taken promptly. That was the good news. bad news was that the wine and soft drink took 20 minutes to be served, and an hour after that we were still sitting there waiting for our burgers...for 2 people...at which point the waitress came along with her third lame excuse of the day and asked if we would like to have a "10 to 15% discount" off our check. We promptly advised her that she could pay for the wine instead, and we left. A HORRIBLE experience at a premium golf facility! SAD!

Commented on 04/03/2017

Seriously? You're really giving a 2 star rating to a course like Ram's Hill because you didn't see the cart girl?

Hopefully, anyone that reads your review will understand there are just people like you in the world and Ram's Hill is a wonderful golf course.

-JP

Commented on 03/28/2017

it really irks me when bad reviews of golf courses are given about the service cart or the restaurant. did you go there for the food or the golf? just sayin.... i believe your star rating is for the golf and not the food. enjoy the golf and rate the golf course by the golf and not your palate!