Rams Hill Golf Club

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Location is worth the drive at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views a bucket list/top 100 pick a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens water hazards   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

"Hidden Gem"

golfetteputter's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/16/2016

Absolutely beautiful hidden gem only 1 1/2 drive away from Rancho Mirage. The course is in empeccable condition from t to green. The greens are hard, fast with many unseen undulations. The greens are surrounded with sand traps, water etc which makes for challenging approach shots. The fairways allow ample landing, but be careful of all the fairway bunkers that are strategically placed. The course is very challenging but yet very friendly if you play off the proper tees. The best part of the course was the beauty, peacefulness, and the scenery that allowed for an enjoyable game. Will definitely be back to challenge Rams Hill or visa versa.

Must play!

"Simply Amazing!!!!!"

tcroom's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2017

I played this 72 holes this past weekend here at Rams Hill for a friends 40th birthday (18 Friday, 36 Saturday and another 18 on Sunday) and couldn't be any happier.

First off the staff is extremely inviting, friendly, and accommodating to all your needs. Secondly, the practice facilities are the best in Southern California with multiple chipping greens, ProV1 range balls, and large putting greens to help anyone warm-up and practice properly. Lastly, there aren't enough words to describe the immaculent conditions that this course was in. There wasn't a blade of grass out of place, and the Fazio design allows for a very fun day. The pace of play was exactly 4 hours each day too! We played 72 holes and with varying winds and changing up tee boxes throughout the weekend, it allowed for a rewarding trip and I'll come back to this place in a heart beat.

If you are in San Diego County and want to play the best course around, then make the trip out to Rams Hill! P.S. Way better than Torrey Pines and cheaper if you're not a resident. Thanks Mike and Renee for a great weekend!

Commented on 11/21/2017

Thank you tcroom for the five star review! We are pleased to hear that our staff was welcoming and the course conditions met your expectations. Come back and tee off with us again soon!

"Fun but slow"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2017

Course is unbelievable but pace of play was really slow. We teed off at 12 and finished at 515 or so. The last two holes we struggled to see the ball. We also got unlucky with insane wind conditions. At least 30-40 mph winds made the play insane. The director compensated the slow play with drink vouchers which was nice. Overall love this course would come back definitely.

Commented on 11/21/2017

Thank you u803389743 for the five star review! We are pleased hear your time at Rams Hill was great even though weather conditions got in the way. Come back and tee off with us again soon!

"My favorite course in Southern California"

1Alliesdad's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/14/2017

The reason for this review is to let the golf world know what they might be missing out on here in Southern California.

I found this gem a few years ago and have told everyone that will listen how wounderful this course is to play. More then half of my men’s club now make the trip to play here as well as our womens club love to play here. We make the drive for the Palm Springs Area.

Rams Hill is as scenic as it is fun to play. The vistas from every tee box/green or in some cases the hazards are just remarkable.

This Fazio course is laid out in conjunction with the slop of the of the mountain that it rest near. Seamlessly flows along the side of the plateau. The front nine will you find yourself playing in to the mountain and the backside plays moving down the plateau and back to the clubhouse.

Each hole is unique in its layout and playes well with its environment. The many water features and creeks flow well with the course layout.

The greens at Rams Hill are by far the best in this part of California and I’d put them up against any I’ve ever played. Getting the slope and speed rite could be a challenge for some but once you understand how the ball falls to the valley floor then it’s just a matter of getting the ball rolling on you target line and watching it go in the hole. The greens are just that pure!

The fairways are wide and fair not a blade of grass longer the the other. The course conditions from the front gate to the 18th green are just excellent.

So if your ever in Borrego spring or Southern California and have a few hours to play do yourself a solid and give mike the head pro a call. He will be more then happy to work with you! Very responsive guy and wants all to enjoy his gem of a course.

Great place to play!!! We got through the round today in 3 house as we were first out today. However we’ve never played a round out there that’s longer the 4:15 minuets in the 3 years I’ve been playing there.

Disclaimer!, I’m just a golfer that plays 3 days a week and I’m an 11 index. I don’t work for Rams Hill just stay and play there and or drive there every so offten.

I truly believe you owe it to yourself to make your way to one of the best track you’ll find in all of California.

3parace, Ransford Mitchell.

Commented on 11/15/2017

Thank you Ransford for the five star review of your Rams Hill visit. We always enjoy to hear the wonderful experiences our golfers have at the course. Tee off with us again this season!

"Birthday round"

swordfish235's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

Great day loved the course, but teed off at 12:10pm barely got 18 holes in...was slow play and didn't see a Marshall out there. I will definitely be back. Also understand that it gets dark early this time of year. Great course

Commented on 11/15/2017

Thank you swordfish235 for the four star rating and feedback! We were glad to be a part of your birthday celebration. See you at the course again soon!

"I must be in goofff heaven"

pilipopj's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

Could the next hole be as good as this hole? We kept saying that for 18 holes! How many golf courses have I played.? Many, but this is in the top 5%. Tight fairway lies? No way fellow golfers. Easy to get a 3 or 4 wood in the air. Greens very undulating but a true read; might be a trade mark of Tom Fazio. I have an 11 handicap and played the white tees (5824 yds). Feeling so good I’ll return and play the blues. $80.00 on Golfnow...go play this course...wow

Commented on 11/15/2017

Thank you pilipopj for the five star review! We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent visit with Rams Hill. We hope to see you again this season!

"Worth the drive from Palm Springs..........."

Jonnybear's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2017

Great layout with some very pretty holes, especially the back 9 with some great changes in elevation. Greens very good and no cart restrictions which makes it worth the drive from Palm Springs as all the courses there are CPO due to recent overseeding. Very generous off the tee so high handicappers would enjoy as well as better golfers. Booked on golf now and got a great rate but there was a mix up with the tee time so would recommend you either book direct or call the course to reconfirm your tee time. The starter did slot us in so it was not a problem.

Commented on 11/15/2017

Thank you Jonnybear for traveling from the UK to tee off at Rams Hill! We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again hitting the greens in the near future.

"Most enjoyable course I have ever played"

gcst's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2017

Just the best fun of any course I have played. Immaculate condition. Highly recommend it.

Commented on 11/16/2017

Thank you gcst for the five star review! Come back and tee off at Rams Hill again this season.

"An Absolute Hidden Gem and a Must-Play for All Golfers"

IamChrisEdwards's avatar

ARRIVING AT RAMS HILL

A ~2hr drive from San Diego or LA will take you through striking California terrain before descending steeply down a mountainside into the small town of Borrego Springs.

After driving through the town’s single roundabout, signs will direct you toward Rams Hill.

Right off the bat, the service is top-notch. You will be greeted with a fresh golf cart at your car, so you can load up your gear before checking in at the pro shop. The entire staff is incredibly friendly and seems to take great pride in providing an incredible golf experience. The running joke among the pro shop staff was asking, “Did you manage to have fun out there?”

Before your trip to Rams Hill, plan to spend some time there. The restaurant and practice facility are both fantastic, and we found ourselves lounging around before and after we played simply to take in the beautiful, dramatic scenery.

THE COURSE

It’s hard to describe just how impressive the conditions are at Rams Hill. I’ve had the privilege of playing three times, and the consistently amazing conditions are unmatched (see photos attached). The tee boxes are pure, the fairways are lush, and the greens roll at a quick yet manageable speed.

From the first tee box to the 18th green, prepare to have your camera ready because every shot you encounter is a photo opportunity. With mountain ranges lining the horizon and desolate desert surrounding the vibrant green course, every new view is as memorable as the last.

The course itself is a golfer’s dream. The fairways are large and forgiving, the greens are accessible and undulating, and the contours of the design encourage creative shotmaking to get close to the pin. From the tips, Rams Hill is an absolute beast. But with a nice juxtaposition of short holes (including a drivable par 4) and monster holes (including a 508-yard par 4), it does not play as daunting as the scorecard may suggest.

Best of all, each hole feels like it has its own, isolated place within the course—you are simply on that hole at that time with zero distractions. There’s not a single hole I would replace on the course. It all comes together as a collective masterpiece in golf course design.

AFTER THE ROUND

As I mentioned earlier, make some time to hang out after the round. There are not many better places to enjoy a drink after a round than the patio at Rams Hill. You’ll still be buzzing from your on-course experience, so take a few moments to soak it all in as the sun sets beyond the mountains.

The bottom line: if you have an opportunity to make the drive out to Rams, take it. If you can make a weekend out of it, it will undoubtedly be one of the best golf weekends of your life. It was for me.

Commented on 11/15/2017

@BrandonTuckerGA, I am on IG (@iamchrisedwards).

Hope this helps!

Commented on 11/14/2017

Shared on social. thanks for the pics. Are you on IG or Twitter?

Commented on 11/14/2017

Thank you Chris5946793 so much of your detail review of your recent visit at Rams Hill. We enjoy hearing the course feedback our golfers recent experience. Hope to see you again this season at Rams Hill!

"Best Value in So Cal"

allanblocker's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2017

I've played Rams Hill 5 times now in the last 2 years. It's a 2 hour drive from my home, but obviously well worth the trek. It's like the Augusta National of desert golf. Considering the courses that can charge $300 in Southern California, Rams Hill is hands down the best value in the region. It's an unbelievable golf experience.

Commented on 11/14/2017

Thank you allanblocker for the five star review! We appreciate your time to drive out and spend some time on the greens. See you again this season!

"Amazing Experience"

0324golfguy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2017

Spectacular!! Rams Hill was recommend to me by a very good friend who plays premier courses all over the country. The course was maybe the best Tom Fazio course I've ever played and the conditions were immaculate. Not only were they virtually perfect but the course had only been open for 5-6 from overseeding. Greens were the purest bentgrass greens I've seen anywhere in California and running at 11. Can't wait to come back. It is certainly a "Must Play" and at $105 including cart it's the best value I've encountered in sometime. Views of the mountains were breathtaking.

Commented on 11/10/2017

Thank you 0324golfguy for the wonderful five star review! We hope to see you again soon this season at Ram Hills.

"Absolutely Wonderful"

sandywagner's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2017

We look forward to every year before Thanksgiving to play this course. It is a great getaway for us. The golf course is always pristine. Mike Setchell is the best! He is extremely personable and makes us all feel at home. We will be back.

Commented on 11/21/2017

Thank you sandywagner for letting Rams Hill a part of your Thanksgiving tradition!

"RAMS HILL GOLF"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Last day of Season at Rams Hill, brought a group of 20 out. Got a great rate. Course was pretty browned out, but Pro had called earlier in week to let us know of conditions and lowered our rate to accommodate. Weather was extremely hot got to 110 plus. But course Staff made us cooler(wet towels,plenty of water and great attention to our needs , including beverage cart just for our group) pretty much the only ones on the course. Because of the Staff being so great it turned into one of the most pleasant golf days in years. Course is a great challenge and we look forward to making it out there when it is lush and cool.

Commented on 06/20/2017

Thank you u000003868036 for the five star review! We are happy to hear that you and your group had a fantastic time and closing the season with us. We hope to see you in November when Rams Hill opens up to cool weather and improved greens. See you again soon!

"Amazing! Can't wait to go back!"

grunguss's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Everybody, and I mean everybody, at this course worked hard to make our round there unforgettable. Each staff member we were in contact with, from the superintendent to the pro shop manager, to each and every employee made it obvious that we were important to them. I can't wait to return to this course this fall after they reopen. Would strongly recommend them to anybody who enjoys golf and being treated well!

Commented on 06/19/2017

Thank you Grunguss for the five star review! Hope to see you again hit the greens at Rams Hill this year.

"Rams Hill Golf Club: Priceless gem in the desert"

alohadave's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

I brought a 3some out to play Rams Hill a little over a year ago. We've played 60 to 70 courses in the Coachella Valley/ Palm Springs area and over 100 courses around the country, and we came away from our 1st time playing it saying that we thought it was in our top 3 that we'd ever played!... every hole is different with beautiful Vistas awesome layout design and amazing greens! The staff from Mike Setchal who greeted us and made us feel right at home and gave us tips about how to play the course, to the Pro Shop and the restaurant, all made us feel like we were VIP's! We can't wait to come back in November and play it again. This is undoubtedly one of the best designed and managed Fazio courses in the country. Do yourself a favor and make a tee time when they reopen in November. It's a priceless gem!

Commented on 06/19/2017

Thank you alohadave for the five star review! We are looking forward to see you again in November!

"MASTERPIECE"

billyGsmile's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

I have played over 200 golf courses in my life. This is 1 of the best I have ever played. Top Notch , first class all the way. Course layout and condition was awesome. The staff was very friendly. Mike Setchell a rams hill employee gave us great tips on how to read their challenging but fair greens while checking us in. All in all just a spectacular day and place. I will return often.

Commented on 06/16/2017

Thank you billyGsmile for the five star review! We are happy to hear you had a wonderful time at the course and that your expectations were met. Hope to see you again soon at Rams Hill!

"fun in the sun"

genejb1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I loved the golf course and the practice area. I think I waited a week or two to long to play here. The fairways were starting to go brown in areas, other areas were hard pan. But then they close for the season in 2 weeks for a reason. Greens were excellent, sand very soft, tee boxes were great. Can't wait for next year, but I will play in May instead of June

Commented on 06/07/2017

Thank you genejb1 for the five star review. We apologize that the course conditions did not meet your expectations. We hope to see you again hitting the greens with us!

"Bummer"

jessemauser's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/02/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

For a course known for upkeep and conditions, I was disappointed. I am aware that they close for the summer at the end of June (we were there June 1st), but they may be pushing that close date further out than they should. The fairways were mostly dirt and scrub, and the greens were painted, dry and hard. I’d give them another chance in the winter with more favorable weather, if it weren’t for the fact that I had clubs stolen from my bag while it was under the care of the club, or with how poor they handled the situation.

Apparently, it was my fault for trusting them. They did offer to sell me comparable replacements at a discount if I wanted to take advantage of that offer, and they did loan me a rental driver and putter which they let me use over the weekend while I was there (the two clubs stolen), but there was no culpability on their behalf, and no concern around keeping my business or providing a level of service that I would have expected for a club like this. In the end, they gave me the rental putter which I’ll hopefully be able to trade in for a $50 credit somewhere. Needless to say, it left a poor taste in my mouth, and I won’t be returning.

Commented on 06/08/2017

While golf advisor does not allow us to update our original reviews, I would like to amend my original critique of the club. They have been very professional and sincere with handling my very rare situation, and I intend to visit the course again in the fall/winter months when they open back up. This is an exceptional golf course, run by people who do sincerely care.

If I could update this review I'd give the club four stars. And I'm sure that after I play in normal conditions, that it will be hard not to score them a five, just as the majority of golfers have.

Sincerely,

Jesse

12susie1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

"Pure Greens"

BandonCaddie's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017

The best customer service at any public course that I have played.

Did I mention how pure the greens are? A great Fazio design!

Commented on 07/06/2017

Thank you BrandonCaddie for the wonderful five star review! We hope to see you in November!

"This Golf Destination is a must play!"

MaryHurja's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017

Outstanding Golf Course From Tee to Green!

Fairways lush and greens fast. This 18 hole Tom Fazio design delivers!

It is a bit of a hike for us living In La Quinta CA, but well worth it!

Great Staff and Great Food!

We will be back!

Commented on 06/29/2017

Thank you MaryHurja for the five star review! We hope to see you hit the greens with us again in November!