Rancho Bernardo Inn

• 17550 Bernardo Oaks Dr, San Diego, California 92128
  • (800) 662-6439 , (858) 675-8733, (858) 675-8484
  • www.RanchoBernardoInn.com

Year built: 1962
Architect(s): William F. Bell, Ted Robinson, Sr. (1986)
Type: Resort
Greens: Poa Annua Grass
Fairways: Winter Rye

Carts: Yes - included in green fee

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 3.9 stars from 5

Location is at a resort convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for a weekend splurge locals advanced golfers   Challenges include bunkers water hazards elevation changes   Great for drinks patio dining dinner

"Would play again"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2017

Course was in good shape. Pace of play 5hr 20min a little slow. In general the course was not all that exciting but I had a good time and will play again

"Great Resort Course with Charm"

William3717042's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017

Have stayed at this resort many times and I never get tired of playing this beauty.

"Great Course and Resort"

adirondack's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2017

This was the first time we played here. The course was in great condition. The fairways were well manicured and the greens were fast and rolled true. Wonderful course layout with some challenging holes. We finished the round in just under 4 1/2 hours. The customer service from everyone we encountered was excellent. It was well worth the money to play here. Definitely recommended.

"Very Enjoyable Course"

mconroy50's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

Very good resort course. Very friendly staff. Course could have used a marshal to speed up slow play.

"Great course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

Excellent condition and challenging layout. Pace of play is 4 and 1/2 hours greens excellent shape.

Great pro shop

u000001901847's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2017
First time playing Used cart

The round was extremely slow. The staff didn't do anything to speed up the group in front of us that was playing very slow. The course was in ok shape, but not worth the money. Driving range was a joke!

"Tough course"

Daraius64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/06/2017

This a tough course to play. The greens were quick

"Magnificent golf course!."

woody2575604's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/30/2016

I've played here 3 times in my lifetime and thanks for golf now for making it happen. If it wasn't for golf now discount prices, I couldn't afford playing here at Rancho Bernardo Inn. This golf course is one of my best golf course in North County. I truly believed a lot of players would agree with me. Get out there and play this golf course. You will enjoy it,probably better if you walk it. Greens are superb, fairways are in excelllent shape, bunkers as well.

"San Diego Gem"

DaveNovotny7500's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

One of the most beautiful San Diego courses you should play!

"Great course"

jack9662018's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/13/2016

Green is horrible it's recondition

"Nice but not great"

Claudiusson's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2016

Good course even though played the first nine holes in the fog (and my tee tme was not particularly early in the morning!). A little too flattish, in particular the second nine holes. In my opinion not a great design even though an enjoyable course. First nine holes definitely better fhan the second nine. Don't think will go again as in the area have played better ones.

"Awesome Facility"

EldricksToadie's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2016

Can't say enough about the overall experience playing the RBI. The staff is extreme professional, polite, and friendly. The course is well manicured, and in great condition. This is a resort course, and while most are very busy, and slow, this however ; is not the case here. The times are spaced properly, and our foursome finished in less than 4 hours. I highly recommend you make this course a priority, when in the area.

"Fun course in great shape"

tmolhook's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This course was in great shape, fairways were plush and green w/o any dry spots and the greens were rolling true. Fun course with a decent layout that is fairly wide open. Got away with a few errant drives. Well worth the $65 twilight rate, not sure I would pay the normal $110 rate though.

"Old Timers Rule!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Started all on the back nine, as the men's club seniors (70-80 yr old's) were having an "event" on the front nine. That "event" resulted in a significant jamb up, pace of play was brutal!

"Nice but not 68.00 nice"

adamwake99's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2016

Tee boxes weren't cut down at all. The people that play the course need to remember, replace your divot AND another one every time. Having a ranger on the course for pace of play would have helped the experience. Greens weren't incredibly fast but I liked them 29 putts total on the day. It's a 35-40.00 course all day long. I will admit it's rather tough to figure out even how to check in once you find the appropriate parking. I had to ask 3 different employees to get behind the building to actually check in. I did enjoy the fairways and they had some nice water features. 81 on the day not bad first time out if I catch it on a hot deal I would consider it again. Thanks

"A Favourite in SD County"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This course is a regular stop for my wife and I and very playable for both of us(my hdcp is 2; her's is 36).

We did play there on April 5 as well, but they had aerated 10 days before so the greens were almost back to normal on April 20.

Can't say enough about the staff and facilities. Pace of plat is always good unless you get behind a tournament which they do have each week, but just check b4 you book.

"Punched Greens"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in great shape outside of the recently punched greens, take you 2 putts and move on!

Also, we got stuck behind their Monday Men's Group who needed to finish their 18 on the Front 9. Once we sat behind them we flew on the Back 9 and finished in under 4 hours total.

Round Started at 11:15 and was on the way home by 2:45.

"Good Course, Great Pace of Play."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

My wife's parents live near this course, and we have always wanted to play there. However, usually we can't find any tee time deals that would be in our price range ($30-60 per person for 18). So when we finally found a good tee time with a fair price on Golfnow, we jumped on the chance to play on Valentine's Day.
Beginning from the time we pulled into the parking lot, we had a great golf experience. It stared with the friendly employees in and around the pro-shop, but when the starter told us we were actually teeing off right before our designated 11:04 tee time my jaw about hit the floor. I can't remember the last time I had a middle of the day tee time on a weekend and actually teed off on time or even a couple minutes early. This kind of time keeping is apparently standard with RB Inn because we finished our 18 hole round in 4 hours! It was not because the course was empty either, but the Player's Assistants did a fantastic job of keeping all the groups moving. Which brings me to another positive attribute, the staff. Every employee we came across was very friendly, which is not always the case at other courses in the area. I believe this can be attributed to RB Inn also being a resort and not just a golf course (and good management).
When it comes to the golf course itself, it also shines. When taking into account the drought conditions in Southern California, the course is in really good shape. The fairways are pretty full and green, and the putting greens are in great condition and roll true to line. Possibly the best part of the course conditions are the bunkers. The sand is light and fluffy, and with good technique easy to get out of. If you are not a good sand player stay away from this course because there are multiple sand traps looming in strategic places on every hole. The overall difficulty of the course falls around slightly more difficult than average. The course is not long, but some of the holes are kind of tight with water, ob, and the previously mentioned ever present sand traps sprinkled all over.
The only downsides of this course are the driving range is not a full range (can't hit woods), and to my knowledge it does not offer discount 9 hole tee times for early morning play.
Over $100 for a golf round is a big stretch for this course, but if you can find a discount tee time you should not pass on an opportunity to play here. The course is enjoyable, and with the quick pace of play you, will find yourself with plenty of time to check out the other amenities the RB Inn has to offer.

"Why subject yourself"

dthalman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/13/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Had a late morning tee time from underpar. Was told that our time was 30 min later. Teed off 50 minutes later. Played a painful 5 and half hour round on the button. Was told by staff after that this is normal. Terribly mis-managed course.

"Rancho Bernardo Inn"

DougMain's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

This course is one of the few that hasn't been severely affected by the Southern California drought. Many courses are just watering greens and tees, but RBI has applied some water to the fairways with the result that there are many green, lush areas. It's not perfect, far from it, but it's a lot better that many of the other area courses in the $50-70 range.

The course itself is an interesting layout, with a good variety of holes. Our last time out we played the front twice because the pace of play was so slow we would have struggled to get in before dark. The player assistant suggested it, and it was a good idea. There was a bit of a shotgun ahead of us and the going was slow. Staff were helpful, but there is a lot of construction in the parking lot area making things a bit congested. I'm not even sure if the range is operational. We hit a few last time out and it was horrible.

Probably won't go back since we've found other area courses that are cheaper, more fun, better condition and with full grass ranges and practice areas and GPS carts. (Eastlake and The Vineyard.)