Raven at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Sandestin Golf Academy"

Dress code: No Denim, Collared Shirt and Bermuda Shorts Required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Raven 71 6931 yards 73.8 137
Silver 71 6361 yards 71.5 135

Location is at a resort convenient to the city near local attractions   Great for advanced golfers playing multiple courses a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining

amm8430's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/10/2017:

Your review and recommendation are greatly appreciated by our staff!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2017

This was my first time at the Raven and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The pace of play was fabulous and the course was in excellent condition.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/10/2017:

Our staff loves to hear about the excellent pace of play and course conditions. Thank you for the 4-star review!

"Super sunday"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017

Great weather and great course, raven is a championship course no doubt

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/09/2017:

Great weather always helps make a great day on the course! We're happy to hear you decided to spend your Sunday with us. Thank you for the 4-star review and recommendation.

"Nice and quiet in summer off season"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2017

Course was in decent shape considering high temperatures.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/10/2017:

Our staff appreciated your comments on course conditions. Hopefully, you can get a few more rounds in this season!

"Raven"

jerry9199's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This is a typical gulf coast golf course. Lots of sand and water. It can be extremely challenging for the casual golfer. Unfortunately you get a lot of these as this is a vacation area destination. Lots of guys that they think they are Tarzan but hit it like Jane. Overall playing any of the San Destin courses would be a good experience and fun to play.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/09/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us! The course can be tricky with a large amount of sand and water, but practice makes perfect. See you soon!

"Not for the money"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017

I played here a few weeks ago and it had rained like it always does in Florida ! Standing water was in the bunker and don't even looked to me like they had been raked lately! This is the raven course at Sandestin ! For the price you pay it wasn't worth it ! I loved the layout ! But needs lots of work ! I can say that I played it , but I probably wouldn't pay it again ! Kelly plantation and regatta bay are close by and are about the same price ! And are much better !!

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/09/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us! The Florida rain can take a toll on course conditions, but it shouldn't impede your round. We hope you play The Links or Baytowne before deciding on another course in Destin.

"Find a Different Course to Play in Destin, FL"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/23/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

When first pulling up, workers stood nearby rather than come get clubs from car. When they finished their conversation, they came over to direct us toward the clubhouse. When we returned, they had moved our clubs to a cart!

Midway through the round, the cart battery was low, requiring someone to bring new cart to us. He acted like it was a huge inconvenience to bring a new one to us. Really??? Should never sent us out in a cart that wasn't fully charged.

Greens were not smooth - ball often bounced on the unevenness of the putting surface. Was told that it had been 6 weeks since the had been worked on. To be fair there had been significant rain the preceding 2 days, so I don't know if that had an impact. The rest of the course was in good condition and the course was fun to play.

Pace of play was excellent, because they were not busy. Perhaps because of the preceding rains, perhaps because other golfers knew what I now know.

No GPS in cart, no cooler on the cart to keep a towel or drink cool, no clubhouse. Very few amenities for a supposedly high end course.

Regular price is $130. Paid $80 to play. Honestly have played $40-$50 courses that were way nicer, had friendlier staff and better amenities. Expected a little more for the money. Will find another course to play next time I'm in Destin.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/09/2017:

Heavy rain a few days before your round can have an impact on course conditions, but we still like to hear golfers enjoying the game with us. We're sorry to hear customer service was not up to par, along with the offered amenities. We hope you decide to try The Links or Baytowne before deciding on another course.

"Very Nice!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This course was a very nice layout. It starts out with wide fairways and then becomes more challenging. Greens were large. My wife and I played it, she thought it was fair from the forward tees.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/09/2017:

Thank you for the 5-star review! Happy to hear your wife enjoyed the forward tees and you both played a fun round of golf with us.

"Very Nice Course in Great Condition"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/19/2017

Played this course early on a Monday with a tropical storm offshore so mostly cloudy and fortunately not as warm as it could have been; some wind. The layout is diverse and interesting. The only odd part was the two par 3's to choose from on the back nine; they should have made it a dogleg par 4! Excellent condition.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 08/09/2017:

Thank you for the 5-star review! Glad to hear you enjoyed your round even with the tropical storm offshore. See you soon!

"The Raven"

Aris3795851's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2017

Nice course to play while on vacation. Enjoyed my round.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 06/11/2017:

We're happy to hear you decided to golf with us during your visit! It is our goal to provide a fun day of golf with some excellent views along the way.

"Beautiful course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2017

Beautiful golf course in great shape. Highly recommend it!

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 06/11/2017:

Thank you for the 5 star review! We're happy to hear you enjoyed great course conditions and recommend the course. See you soon!

"Greens"

u000002037420's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

Course is in great shape except greens have just been aerated covered in sand

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 06/09/2017:

Your review and recommendation is greatly appreciated! The greens will continue to increase in playing condition as we head into summer months.

"Raven Rocks"

Stonewall616's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

Beautiful layout with plenty of lateral water hazards and well placed sand bunkers. Paired with a lovely couple from Argentina and a delightful Florida retiree, all good golfers. Recent aerification of greens made putting a challenge but we each drained 20 footers. Staff very friendly and courteous. Greens fee reduced due to verification so we got excellent value. Sandestin courses never disappoint.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 06/07/2017:

We really enjoyed reading your 5 star review! It's always more fun to be paired with a great group and it sounds like course conditions didn't affect play too much which is great to hear. After all, our staff is working hard as we prepare for summer season. See you soon!

"The greens were recently aerated"

Chartier's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2017

Punting was nearly impossible ! Golf now should have advised me.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 06/07/2017:

Thank you for the 5 star review and recommendation! We're sorry to hear you were not advised on recent course conditions. Our staff works hard to ensure tee time notes are updated at all times. Looking forward to your next round with us!

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

LynnHendrix's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017

Good: A very good layout and what you expect for resort golf: wide fairways, large greens and lots of sand that doesn't come into play that much (esthetic sand).

Bad: Staff friendliness. Except for the starter the staff acted like we should be doing something for them.

Ugly: Where do I start? The greens had recently been aerated but the Raven did not advise us of that and no discount (unlike Emerald Bay which did advise of aeration and gave a big discount -- and staff was very friendly). There was no water on the course, no GPS or even a course map (probably wanted us to purchase a course book); only one ball washer that we found; no ball/club washer on carts; sand hadn't been raked since last rain (we had been there for over three days and there was no rain). Please don't confuse this with the Raven in Summit Co, Colorado -- they are owned by different organizations.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 06/09/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will help us improve moving forward. We can assure you this level of customer service is not up to our standard and will be addressed. We hope you can try us again so we can improve your next round of golf.

"Aeration made greens unplayable"

Ndac15's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Beautiful course. Aeration made greens unputtable and round frustrating. Would not pay normal price to play here although it is gorgeous.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/10/2017:

Hi Ndac15,

We're happy to hear you enjoyed the course and rated the experience 5 stars. Thank you for golfing with us!

"Great condition"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017

Course was in great shape. Was first out, and finished in just over 2 hours.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi u000004289985,

Sometimes, the best day of golf is played quickly and without interruption. We're happy to hear you found a great round with us and shared your 5 star experience. See you soon!

"A great value"

George6682151's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

The Raven was in great shape, and the staff was very friendly. Slow play did not appear to be monitored, and it needed to be. Also, there was not much contrast with the various tee markers which created some confusion. That said, this is a great golf course.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi George6682151,

Thank you for the 5 star review! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will continue to help us improve moving forward. See you soon!

"Not a must play"

Rce7ee's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

It was a decent course at best. Definitely not worth the money. Underwhelming is a good description.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi Rce7ee,

Thank you for golfing with us! If you did not enjoy Raven, we hope you can come back and tru either The Links or Baytowne so we can show you all aspects of our facility. Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop with any further concerns about your next round.

"Great course fabulous layout horrible staff"

bykcop's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Booked this tee time through GolfNow. Got a great rate that was all inclusive (cart fees and range balls). Was greeted by decent young guy at bag drop and that was as good as it was going to get as far as staff.We were told we couldn't go to the range because it was closed and they were going out now to pick it. We then went into pay the remaining balance. The guy at the desk was far from friendly and had attitude from the word GO. He told us as well , that the range was closed. I advised him that my contract through golf now had it pre-paid that we were to receive range balls. I inquired if I could come back at another time to hit balls and practice he stated absolutely not it's against our policy. I then asked him if there's any other things we needed to know that we paid for , that we were not going to receive and I got a sarcastic answer .

He then spoke to me like I played thiscourse 100 times . after I advised him this was our first visit. Little did he know it would also be my last visit. He told me were the first hole was in a brief discussion and when I asked for clarification he said "you'll see it when you get outside ". There were very few signs near the clubhouse to indicate which golf course was located in any specific area. We eventually found the first hole and off we went.

The course is beautiful and very challenging. Long ball off the tee can get you in trouble a lot if the correct tee box isn't chosen. There is water on almost every hole and sand is abundant. The greens are meticulous as are their tee boxes.

We were also told there's no beverage cart attendant after 3 pm.

We never really saw any other players so I can understand the lack of staff for that. We did move through the course in around 3 hrs, so pace if play was phenomenal .

Around the 13 Th hole I saw two players hitting balls on the ALLEGEDLY closed driving range. The same range that was covered in golf range balls!!!!

We finished our round about 15 minutes before sundown. And as I was driving the golf cart back to the clubhouse I saw no signs preventing us from using the parking lot to drop off our equipment. After putting our items in the trunk of our car I returned the golf cart to the cart shack. I then received a lecture from the staff there about how the golf cart have no lights and are not a motor vehicle and do not belong in the parking lot. That staff member was advised that there are no signs preventing such actions , had I seen them I would've not done that. He continued with the lecture about carts in the parking lot and their club policy. He was advised this is my first time (and last time )playing here so I was not aware of what you have for home course policies if it's not posted I was also advised that I used an access road that was only for maintenance. The road was paved with no signs so how are we to know where we were going Not to mention that this access road comes away from the 18th green and heads to the rear of a course structure. Considering we have never been there before I had no idea what building it was . It turns out that is the maintenance area which is directly across the parking lot from the clubhouse. When I say directly across we are talking about 50 yards difference The awesome conditions at this course are ruined by its rude staff. I hope they don't treat all guests and it's members like this! But after reading several reviews on this course, this seems to be the norm. Hopefully management will rectify this problem quickly

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi bykcop,

Thank you for the very detailed review on customer service during your visit with us. We can assure you this is not our standard for the staff and will address these concerns moving forward. On the other side, we're very happy to hear you enjoyed the course. We hope you can come back for another round so we can make your next experience an even better one.