Raven at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort

• 1199 Troon Dr, Miramar Beach, FL 32550, Walton County
  • www.sandestin.com

Year built: 2000
Architect(s): Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (2000)
Type: Resort
Greens: Tifeagle
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Sandestin Golf Academy"

Dress code: No Denim, Collared Shirt and Bermuda Shorts Required
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Raven 71 6931 yards 73.8 137
Silver 71 6361 yards 71.5 135

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is at a resort convenient to the city near local attractions   Great for advanced golfers playing multiple courses a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining

"Greens"

u000002037420's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

Course is in great shape except greens have just been aerated covered in sand

"Raven Rocks"

Stonewall616's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

Beautiful layout with plenty of lateral water hazards and well placed sand bunkers. Paired with a lovely couple from Argentina and a delightful Florida retiree, all good golfers. Recent aerification of greens made putting a challenge but we each drained 20 footers. Staff very friendly and courteous. Greens fee reduced due to verification so we got excellent value. Sandestin courses never disappoint.

"The greens were recently aerated"

Chartier's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2017

Punting was nearly impossible ! Golf now should have advised me.

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

LynnHendrix's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017

Good: A very good layout and what you expect for resort golf: wide fairways, large greens and lots of sand that doesn't come into play that much (esthetic sand).

Bad: Staff friendliness. Except for the starter the staff acted like we should be doing something for them.

Ugly: Where do I start? The greens had recently been aerated but the Raven did not advise us of that and no discount (unlike Emerald Bay which did advise of aeration and gave a big discount -- and staff was very friendly). There was no water on the course, no GPS or even a course map (probably wanted us to purchase a course book); only one ball washer that we found; no ball/club washer on carts; sand hadn't been raked since last rain (we had been there for over three days and there was no rain). Please don't confuse this with the Raven in Summit Co, Colorado -- they are owned by different organizations.

"Aeration made greens unplayable"

Ndac15's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Beautiful course. Aeration made greens unputtable and round frustrating. Would not pay normal price to play here although it is gorgeous.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/10/2017:

Hi Ndac15,

We're happy to hear you enjoyed the course and rated the experience 5 stars. Thank you for golfing with us!

"Great condition"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2017

Course was in great shape. Was first out, and finished in just over 2 hours.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi u000004289985,

Sometimes, the best day of golf is played quickly and without interruption. We're happy to hear you found a great round with us and shared your 5 star experience. See you soon!

"A great value"

George6682151's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

The Raven was in great shape, and the staff was very friendly. Slow play did not appear to be monitored, and it needed to be. Also, there was not much contrast with the various tee markers which created some confusion. That said, this is a great golf course.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/04/2017:

Hi George6682151,

Thank you for the 5 star review! Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will continue to help us improve moving forward. See you soon!

"Not a must play"

Rce7ee's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

It was a decent course at best. Definitely not worth the money. Underwhelming is a good description.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi Rce7ee,

Thank you for golfing with us! If you did not enjoy Raven, we hope you can come back and tru either The Links or Baytowne so we can show you all aspects of our facility. Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop with any further concerns about your next round.

"Great course fabulous layout horrible staff"

bykcop's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Booked this tee time through GolfNow. Got a great rate that was all inclusive (cart fees and range balls). Was greeted by decent young guy at bag drop and that was as good as it was going to get as far as staff.We were told we couldn't go to the range because it was closed and they were going out now to pick it. We then went into pay the remaining balance. The guy at the desk was far from friendly and had attitude from the word GO. He told us as well , that the range was closed. I advised him that my contract through golf now had it pre-paid that we were to receive range balls. I inquired if I could come back at another time to hit balls and practice he stated absolutely not it's against our policy. I then asked him if there's any other things we needed to know that we paid for , that we were not going to receive and I got a sarcastic answer .

He then spoke to me like I played thiscourse 100 times . after I advised him this was our first visit. Little did he know it would also be my last visit. He told me were the first hole was in a brief discussion and when I asked for clarification he said "you'll see it when you get outside ". There were very few signs near the clubhouse to indicate which golf course was located in any specific area. We eventually found the first hole and off we went.

The course is beautiful and very challenging. Long ball off the tee can get you in trouble a lot if the correct tee box isn't chosen. There is water on almost every hole and sand is abundant. The greens are meticulous as are their tee boxes.

We were also told there's no beverage cart attendant after 3 pm.

We never really saw any other players so I can understand the lack of staff for that. We did move through the course in around 3 hrs, so pace if play was phenomenal .

Around the 13 Th hole I saw two players hitting balls on the ALLEGEDLY closed driving range. The same range that was covered in golf range balls!!!!

We finished our round about 15 minutes before sundown. And as I was driving the golf cart back to the clubhouse I saw no signs preventing us from using the parking lot to drop off our equipment. After putting our items in the trunk of our car I returned the golf cart to the cart shack. I then received a lecture from the staff there about how the golf cart have no lights and are not a motor vehicle and do not belong in the parking lot. That staff member was advised that there are no signs preventing such actions , had I seen them I would've not done that. He continued with the lecture about carts in the parking lot and their club policy. He was advised this is my first time (and last time )playing here so I was not aware of what you have for home course policies if it's not posted I was also advised that I used an access road that was only for maintenance. The road was paved with no signs so how are we to know where we were going Not to mention that this access road comes away from the 18th green and heads to the rear of a course structure. Considering we have never been there before I had no idea what building it was . It turns out that is the maintenance area which is directly across the parking lot from the clubhouse. When I say directly across we are talking about 50 yards difference The awesome conditions at this course are ruined by its rude staff. I hope they don't treat all guests and it's members like this! But after reading several reviews on this course, this seems to be the norm. Hopefully management will rectify this problem quickly

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi bykcop,

Thank you for the very detailed review on customer service during your visit with us. We can assure you this is not our standard for the staff and will address these concerns moving forward. On the other side, we're very happy to hear you enjoyed the course. We hope you can come back for another round so we can make your next experience an even better one.

Ljfowlkes's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2017

Unquestionable the best Sandestin course and one of my favorites in Destin area.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 05/03/2017:

Hi Ljfowlkes,

Thank you for the 5 star review! Being the best course in the Destin area is what we strive to provide our golfers. We appreciate sharing your thoughts with us. See you soon!

"Great couse"

krstout56's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in excellent condition. In the wind, the course is extremely challenging. Water on a large number of holes that come into play, especially with the wind. Overall a great day. I have now had the pleasure of playing three Raven courses - Colorado, Phoenix and Sandestin. Great designs, challenging tracks. All recommended

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi krstout56,

Thank you for golfing with us! It's cool to hear you've been able to golf in Colorado and Phoenix as well. We're happy to hear you played with excellent course conditions and were able to overcome the windy conditions.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/07/2017

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 04/25/2017:

Hi u4913143,

Thank you for the 4 star review! We're happy to provide a fun and challenging round for our golfers. See you soon!

"The Raven"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2017

Gorgeous golf course. Layed out very well. Many challenging holes with fantastic fairways and true rolling greens. All tee boxes were in good shape and staff was extremely helpful. Would definitely play this course again.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 03/30/2017:

Hi u7383827,

Thank you for the 5 star review! Your feedback on course conditions and layout is greatly appreciated. See you soon!

"Worth the drive"

Scott5332128's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017

Had played Baytowne course a year ago and had many people tell me that the Raven was a must play. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Layout is very good and the course was in better condition than Baytowne was a year ago (unusual amount of rain last year made it very saturated). Would recommend it to anybody that enjoys hitting every club in their bag.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 03/30/2017:

Hi Scott5332128,

The course can definitely force any golfer to utilize all clubs. We're happy to hear you decided to come back and try the Raven. Thank you for the recommendation!

"Awesome the course is a must if you travel to Destin."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017

I had a great time. I was paired with a great group father and son. They help me navigate through the course. The course was a good challenge.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 03/30/2017:

Hi u4721881,

Thank you for golfing with us! Your 5 star review is greatly appreciated. It's always fun to be paired with a great group, especially when they're able to help with course layout!

"No course layout, difficult to navigate"

rjb4standards's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2017

Played 5 courses this week, Kelly Plantation was our favorite with Emerald Bay a close second. Regatta Bay a close third with Raven and Baytown far behind these top 3 courses. I would definitely play Emerald Bay again, but never Baytown.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 03/15/2017:

Hi rjb4standards,

We're sorry to hear you were not able to recommend our course at this time.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/06/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The greens had just been sanded so I cant give the course excellent but in about 2 days it will be in the excellent category.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 03/14/2017:

Hi u281140556,

Thank you for the 4 star review! We look forward to seeing you soon for an excellent round!

wlsand02's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 03/13/2017:

Hi wlsand02,

Thank you for the 5 star review!

"great layout, good test of golf"

normsanford's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2017

Enjoyed the course very much including layout and greens. Pace of play was really good and course was in great shape.

Will definitely play again before I leave the area.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 03/13/2017:

Hi normsanford,

We're thrilled to see your 5 star review! Pace of play and course conditions are important to any good day of golf. See you soon!

"Had A Lot of Fun"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2017

I'm a local from about 45 minutes away. I kept hearing people rave about the course so I had to see what all the talk was about. The Raven lived up to the hype with the scenic views and gorgeous homes along the course. The bodies of water were all well placed and very appealing. The course for the most part was fairly open and easy to read from the tees. I played it safe a lot and had no trouble getting down the fairways. The greens just kicked my butt all day. I did pay close to 50 bucks for a 2:30 tee time which was a little steep in my mind. Great courses up and down the emerald coast that have nice twilight deals and some of the same great views you get here. I will say for a first timer the staff had me well informed before I started my round and the cart girl was very nice.

Response from Sandestin Resort and Club Management on 03/06/2017:

Hi u3849751,

Thank you for the 5 star review! We're happy to hear you received friendly customer service and beautiful views for your first time. See you soon!