Boca Royale Golf & Country Club

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire is required. No denim or short shorts
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Championship 72 6188 yards 70.4 127
Middle 72 5718 yards 68.2 119
Forward 72 5017 yards 69.9 116

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals seniors   Challenges include water hazards bunkers narrow fairways   Great for drinks dinner brunch

"Nice well maintained course in Venice"

WILD4steve's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I live within 10 minute drive so playing a nice course close to home is great. Its a semi-private so worth asking about member outings or groups. Best to get out before them. Course was re - done last year with much improvements taking hold.

Commented on 09/06/2017

Thank you so very much for your four star rating and endorsement. Our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return. Great advice on checking on groups before one comes out to play - we are becoming very crowded and it is wise to call ahead.

"All around great golf course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2017

Course was in great shape, the staff was very friendly. The course is a challenge but not too much so. I would highly recommend this club.

Commented on 09/06/2017

Nothing pleases us more than your five star rating and your support and endorsement. Thank you and hurry back - we miss you :-)

davelegge's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Commented on 09/06/2017

Thank you very much for your endorsement and 4 star rating.Our entire team appreciates your support and looks forward to your return.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

Nice staff

Obviously the course was wet due to significant rainfall.

Course layout was nice!

Commented on 08/28/2017

Yes summer rains are hitting us hard with over 11" this past weekend alone. The good news of course is that the dry season is approaching very fast. Come on out and play and thank you for your positive feedback and support. Our entire team appreciates it.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

this month they start you on the 10th and finish with the front nine. I don't know why but this threw me. I shot probably 6 strokes higher tan average

a little rain

still a great course

Commented on 08/28/2017

Thank you for your positive review and five star rating. Though the reversing of the nines threw you, what did you think? Did you prefer the way the course played or do you prefer the nines back where they were?

"Boca Royale Golf Club"

Patrick279's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Beautiful golf course kept in excellent condition by the dedicated grounds crew. This course personifies excellence. The fairways are well covered, the greens were perfect with lots of undulations for a challenging game. Cart paths almost completely surround this course with very few gaps. The fairways are a generous width, well marked, surrounded by tropical trees and shrubbery with homes intermingled on the course but far enough away that there is no problem. Lots of Florida wildlife everywhere. Don't miss an opportunity to try this gem - you'll be back for more. Highly recommended!

Commented on 08/16/2017

Thank you for your wonderful and supportive review and 5 star rating. Our entire hard working team appreciates and looks forward to seeing you out here again. It is going to be a great season at Boca Royale.

sandip4648699's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017

Fairways, greens, hazards are,all in great condition for midsumner.

Commented on 08/16/2017

Thank you so very much for your 5 star review, endorsement and support. The fact that you recognize the difficulties to maintain conditions in the summer time is refreshing and appreciated. We are happy to see our fairways filling in to the point we feel that overseeding will not be necessary this fall. It is going to be a great golf season at Boca Royale and we hope to see you out here again. Thank you.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017

Commented on 08/07/2017

"Course was in great shape."

SteveAvery's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2017

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed playing this course. This was my first time at Boca Grande. I was paired with a threesome that had played the course many times so that was a great help. Greens and fairways were in gear shape. The approaches to several of the greens had recently been repaired, but that was not a big deal. Plenty of sand in the bunkers. I would totally play this again if I were staying longer.

Commented on 08/07/2017

Thank you very much for your recommendation and 4 star rating. We were especially pleased to see that you enjoyed playing who you were paired up with. Our team tries hard to ensure a positive experience for all of our golfers. Hurry back!

"Fantastic golf course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017

First time playing Boca Rorale, Great Doglegs, water,

Greens were great !!

My partner and I would definitely play this course again !!!

D.Davis

Venice, Fl.

Commented on 08/09/2017

As you can imagine it pleases our entire team to see 5 star ratings like yours and we do hope you return to play again soon.Thank you.

"Boca Royale is a gem."

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017

Beautiful playing environment-lushly landscaped, awesome wildlife. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Course Layout: Poor

Commented on 08/16/2017

Do you know what you are doing? You say beautiful playing environment, Etc and then you give very low ratings for everything. U need to revisit and edit your comments and ratings to coincide with each other!!!

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017

Commented on 08/07/2017

Thank you very much for your recommendation and 3 star rating. We hope that you will return and play again when all of our summer maintenance procedures are behind us. It is a very different course then and I am confident that you will appreciate the improvement in conditions.

"BOCA ROYALE"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Surprising little gem with a very friendly staff. I forgot my clubs were in other car so I rented a set for $25. Don't forget your clubs -rentals were not good. My wife and I had a nice day out and the course played quickly. Very congenial staff and helpful.

Commented on 08/07/2017

Thank you very much for your recommendation and 4 star rating. Our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return. I am sure Ian would be happy to loan you his Calloway's next time you are out :-)

"Great Course but beware of staff"

andrew9521964's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2017

I would like to preface this review and say that I am not one to typically leave negative reviews and will try to be as fair as possible. I will say that the course is a perfect blend of beautiful and challenging. However I am 100% confident I will never return to the establishment, which is a shame because again I did truly enjoy the course layout and conditions. Last, I was raised proper and carry my self with manners, I am polite, and always dress with appropriate golf attire...no matter the course.

That being said my experience with the staff is where this round got ugly. Other than the yardages being way off on every hole anywhere 25-50 yards in every instance with no consistency. Upon pulling into the course the signage is terrible for getting to the golf club house. By the time I was out of my car and realized I was all the way at the wrong end of the parking lot I figured, "hey its a beautiful morning Ill just walk, nbd." I made it approx. 1/4 of the distance to where the nearest golf carts were when a greeter (didn't get his name i was so taken back) walks out into the middle of the parking lot and stares at me. and stares at me. and stares at me. Not breaking eye contact the entire walk until i was maybe 50-100 ft away when the first thing out of his mouth is "where the h**l did you come from" Rather than hoping on one of the many available golf carts to come pick me up as he sees i'm carrying my bag, he continued to dig into the fact of how "strange" and "weird" it was that I parked where I did. Frankly of the some odd 1000 rounds of golf I've played at every type of course this was by far my worst greeting experience of any course I've ever played. Being that this is a country club with memberships I was even more taken back. What if I was there to consider becoming a member? It got to the point where I had to ask the anything-but-gentleman "if there was a problem with where I parked? And if he and I had an issue." At that stage I think he may have realized how out of line he was to speak to a patron in such a manner. Not that he would know this but this was a round for my Birthday, and not that I deserve any special treatment for that but really was not what I had hoped for or come to expect from country club staff at any other course I've ever played. One would think someone would at least say welcome to our course or ask a friendly question about where I had traveled from (over 35 minutes) to pay to use their facility.

At that point I learned there was no driving range but could use the hitting nets and putting green. Once arriving there obviously no one had cleaned up the balls and it was a total mud pit. once I finished warming up the long game i turned to see the chipping green no one mentioned. I scattered balls anywhere from 10 yards to 30 yards away from the green to work on the best part of my game. I was consistently around the pins I was targeting. It was after maybe 10 balls the tennis pro came out from his court and literally yelled at me "you cant hit that far back! That's pitching not chipping" Now I obliged but was disgusted by his tone and approach. Shoot, I had never been to this course before and there was no signage specifying the area was not supposed to be used for chipping. No, "excuse me sir" or "i'm sorry to bother you" or "im sorry for the inconvenience." Just stern tone and elevated voice.

Moments later, 25 minutes before my tee time, the same rude greeter/starter from before, grunts "are you ready to go the guys we had you paired with already took off." I politely said, " well I've hit about 10 chips and haven't even putt yet so no." It appeared he was disgruntled by this through his body language. Even though I had a scheduled tee time that I built my morning and round preparation around.

Once finished I hit the course. But before doing so the same obnoxious started says to me, "oh just so you know the course plays a lot longer that whats on the card." I'm old school and don't like to use range finders but there wasn't a single instance where the yardage wasn't off significantly from that depicted in the card. I had no idea how challenging it would be but I can certainly say anyone who has played the game and tries to play well knows that it takes a tremendous amount of focus to score well on a new and challenging course. I take responsibility that I couldn't get my mind off the ridiculous experience I had just had however I do believe that it is the greeting staffs' responsibility to create a warm and welcoming environment that allows golfers to relax and not be distracted from the task at hand. It is not their responsibility to make the game any harder with multiple distractions.

I will make this very clear unless you have very strong mental game you will struggle here. I give you my word, this was my first experience at this course and It will certainly be my last. Proceed with caution in membership or a summer public round.

Management I strongly suggest you take a good hard look at how your customer facing staff in golf or tennis areas are treating your patrons.

Extremely disappointed and if it weren't for the tremendous efforts of your greens staff my overall review would be 1 of 5 stars.

Commented on 07/24/2017

As you can imagine we are very disappointed to see this review. We have worked very hard with all of our team over the past year on their interpersonal skills and most importantly their delivery to all of our golfers. Based on this feedback, I would say that we are not there and much room for improvement remains. Rest assured that we take this feedback very seriously and will be meeting with both team members forthwith to 1) get their perception of the interaction and 2) remind them that what is critical is the perception of our golfers to the interaction - period!

As to the yardages, these have been checked and are accurate. Our Head Professional has offered to take you out on the course to confirm at your convenience.

Our signage is also significant coming into our parking lot from either end, so we are surprised that you ended up at the wrong end of the lot. That having been said, we will revisit the signage to see if additional signs would be helpful.

It is our intent to provide a fun, relaxing yet challenging round of golf and it is obvious that in your case we failed. Please consider giving us another shot and if you do, please let us know that you will be here as both me the GM and Ed our head pro would like to meet with you to discuss.

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. With feedback we can correct and improve!

maggiedog1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2017

Narrow tight course lot of doglegs water wildlife. Pretty course

Commented on 08/07/2017

Thank you very much for your recommendation and 4 star rating. Our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return. Being a 50 years old course we have many unique features that truly enhancesa round.

"Boca Royale"

Pat7878835's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

This was the second time to give this course a shot. The first time they failed to mention they had no greens with no advisory so all we got was a run around. Tried to give it a second shot yesterday, booked a single and informed them my wife couldn't play as she is recovering from cancer surgery but would be going along for ride. In spite of the fact they were not busy they required $23 extra. I get the sense they don't like golfnow customers

Commented on 06/05/2017

Not sure how best to respond to this. Last summer we redid our greens and had temporary's in place, clearly communicated via GolFNow and our website and golf shop team. We have always had a "rider" fee for those that choose to ride but not play and again communicate it. We appreciate the business that GolfNow brings to us and I hope would never be percieved as not. Our primary goal this year has been to improve our customer service and I am sorry that you did not experience that improvement. We will continue to work on this and should you return please introduce yourself to the GM so we can discuss. Thank you.

"Gets In Your Head"

gorlicka's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I found this course to be more difficult than an objective review would conclude. There is water everywhere, some forced carries. and some spots where the ball rolls in unexpected directions. If you can't bring a sports psychologist with you, take a deep breath before each shot. Other than that, the course is in decent shape, the multiple sets of tees allow matching to your ability, and par is possible on several holes, even with a handicap index in the high teens.

Commented on 05/29/2017

Thank you very much for your feedback and support. It is a challenging course, hence our sports psychologists come starters advising moving up on the tees for newbies to the course. :-) You may note here that they tend to be criticized for offering that advice however will continue to do so to hopefully alleviate first timer frustration with the challenge of the course. It is a lot easier the next time - promise!

fwk3fwk4's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Commented on 05/29/2017

As an advanced player I would encourage you to return to play our course during the season when our conditions are optimal. Coming off a very busy season during our areas worst drought in 100 years has taxed our conditions. We are now performing all of the USGA Best Practices to get us fully recovered ASAP. We hope to see you again soon.

"To be avoided."

petroloss's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Nice setting but very poor condition on the whole. Rock hard fairways. Almost more GUR areas than golf course. One place we will never go back to again.

Commented on 05/24/2017

Very sorry to see this review, especially since the conditions you encountered are very typical for this time of year for Florida courses after a very busy season. We also have to consider that we are coming out of our most extreme drought ever! Is also why today we are closed to aerate the greens and tees as per our maintenance schedule. In fact we will aerate our greens and tees at least twice more this summer. We have aerated and verticut our fairways once and will do again soon. All of this is part of our annual USGA Best Practices and will get us very quickly back into top condition for play. I would hope that you will return and play our course during prime time when conditions are best and not at the end of the season when we shift into extreme maintenance mode.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Commented on 05/24/2017

Thank you very much for your five star rating and support - our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return.