Boca Royale Golf & Country Club

• 1601 Englewood Road, Englewood, Florida 34223, Sarasota County
  • (941) 474-7475, (941) 475-6464
  • www.bocaroyale.com

Year built: 1965
Architect(s): Steve Smyers (1965)
Type: Semi-Private
Greens: Champion Ultradwarf

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire is required. No denim or short shorts
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Tees | Layout

Championship 72 6188 yards 70.4 127
Middle 72 5718 yards 68.2 119
Forward 72 5017 yards 69.9 116

Average Rating 4.1 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals seniors   Challenges include water hazards bunkers narrow fairways   Great for drinks dinner brunch

"Top notch track"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

Premium experience begins when you arrive at the club. Staff are engaging and friendlyleading to an awesome experience. Our experience included an early morning tee off before the restaurant opened. Thanks to staff for getting us 3 badly needed coffees before the opening. Others talk about a great experience Boca Royale makes it happen. 3 Canucks.

Commented on 04/28/2017

Thank you 3canucks for your positive feedback and five star rating. We are pleased that your experience was positive and look forward to your return soon.

"Not a handicap friendly course"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

I require oxygen and have to drive up to flat areas on tees and greens within 10 feet of so of where I hit the ball. I explained this to the starter and he said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I didn't go onto the greens. I played 8 holes without a problem and then on the 9th hole I hit my second shot onto the green and drove around on the cart path to the rear of the green and around to the left rear within 15-20 feet of the green. I walked out to my ball and putted and returned to the cart where one of the pro shop people walked over and said I had to stay on the cart paths near the tees and greens at all times. I explained I could not do that as my O2 level drops off to the mid 80s when I walk up any incline or more than 20 feet. He said I would either have to comply with his ruling or I could take a 9 hole raincheck and leave the course. I have played up to 100 courses with these needs and this is the first time I have been treated like this. Neither I or. My friends will return to this course.

Commented on 04/26/2017

I was very sorry to read your review and though the team member who spoke to you had a slightly different perspective of what transpired, he was reminded of how important it is that our golfers experience be positive. We did learn an important lesson in that the Starter needs to give the rest of the team the details when agreeing to deviate from normal practices. We do hope you will give us a second chance and assure you that we learn from our experiences, both negative and positive. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review.

"Overall good experience"

andrebard's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

We arrived at the course and were well received. We were asked if we wanted to go off earlier which we did. Overall the course was in very good condition. Greens were true but small compared to some courses. Great lay out with a good mixture of fun holes and challenging holes. Overall it was a great experience.

Commented on 04/26/2017

Always great to read of experiences like yours. Thank you very much for sharing and please hurry back.

"Super chill course..."

Jeff4223864's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Beautiful layout, friendly staff...long and challenging course but not too difficult...will def play again as well as will recommend to all that are looking for a beautiful and tranquil atmosphere...thank you golfnow and Boca Royal

Commented on 04/20/2017

Thank you very much for your positive review and support - we especially appreciate the 5 star rating. Please hurry back.

"shot makers course"

randyshupert58's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2017

The course was in great condition and the staff was extremely courteous and helpful. Greens are small and quick.

Commented on 04/21/2017

Those greens are new and slick and I am glad you enjoyed them. We do appreciate your positive review and support and look forward to your return. Thank you.

veniceflorida's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2017

Gerard's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2017

Commented on 04/20/2017

Thank you for taking the time to review us - I see by your rating that you had a pace of play issue - can you give us specific feedback to that as our average round is 4 hours. I am wondering what your experience was?

"Challenging course"

outback2015's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017

The course is very nice and the staff were friendly but way too many sandtraps. Some holes had 5 or more traps (or it seemed that way). If you want a course to challenge you this may be the one.

Commented on 04/20/2017

Thank you very much for your review and support - funny you mention traps - at a recent Greens Committee meeting the quantity of traps was an issue. We may be consolidating some very soon!

max77dog's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

Commented on 04/12/2017

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and support - our entire team appreciate it. Hurry back!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I enjoy playing this course. it's a local course for me as well, it is well maintained and challenging to play. Give it a try, see what you think.

Commented on 04/12/2017

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and support - our entire team appreciates and looks forward to your return.

"This course is attractive, well laid out and being well maintained in a very dry yesr. yesr"

gerard123's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

We had a nice late afternoon nine holes. Fairways and greens were in good condition. With the dry weather South West Florida has had this year, the Club has done very well in watering the fairways and greens.

Commented on 04/05/2017

Thank you very much for your positive feedback and support and yes you are correct about this being a very dry season. We are desperate for rain and very much looking forward to the start of the rainy season. Thank you again and hurry back!

"Sunday Golf"

pelican1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

Excellent conditions! New greens are very good. Our only dissatisfaction...no cart person??? Back to Canada...see you in the fall....:-)

Muschnli

Commented on 04/04/2017

We are very glad you enjoyed our course and new greens - safe travels and see you on your return!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2017

Commented on 04/04/2017

Thank you very much for your five star rating - our entire team appreciates it looks forward to your return.

"Fast Play with no amenities"

15511551's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

My wife and I played. We were paired with two other singles. The starter insisted we tee off as soon as we arrived, 20 minute before tee time. We were not given time to warm up, although there wasn't any driving range, and we didn't have time for a few practice putts. When I checked in at the pro shop I told the person working the counter that this was our first time at their facility and had a few questions, would there be a beverage cart, where were the restrooms, was their a refreshment stand at the end of the front nine. He said no beverage cart, pointed across the lot and said restrooms, no detail we had to find them ourselves, and didn't answer the question about refreshment stand. He made me feel as if I was rude for asking.

The two singles we were paired up with were playing the course for the first time themselves. The round of golf went fine. The course had some rough spots but I would rate it as average.

I won't return to Boca Royale but not because of the golf rather the lack of hospitality and friendliness by some of the staff but not all of them. The man working bag drop off and pickup did a good job.

Commented on 03/27/2017

Thank you for taking the time to report on your experience. If you would be kind enough to call Ian (GM) at 941-475-6464 I would like to discuss your experience further. What you describe in our golf shop is unacceptable behaviour and treatment of our guests and there will be ramifications of this felt by our golf shop team. Our goal is to make all of our guests feel welcome and comfortable to be here and as you can see by the majority of feedback we do accomplish that. We apologise for your treatment and as I said we would like to discuss further so as to prevent this happening again.

"Warm up"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2017

Nice short course with some fun holes good for a first round of the year

Commented on 03/27/2017

Thank you very much for your feedback and support - our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return for your second and third round :-)

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017
First time playing Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Vern34's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/21/2017

Played three courses in my 10 day stay and enjoyed it the mostkansas

Commented on 03/27/2017

Thank you very much for your feedback and support - our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return. We love that 5 star rating :-)

u000007520803's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2017

"Could use a little TLC"

Redskev's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Slightly tight and tricked up course that was fun to play. Mix of short and long holes to challenge your thinking on every tee box. Fairways and greens were in great shape for the most part. The rough though was in pretty rough (pun intended) condition throughout the course (short dead grass patches and dirt/mud). One other complaint I have being a first timer here is that there is no driving range to warm up on, but they do have hitting nets. The best part of the round was that the pace of play was excellent. Took 3 of us just over 3 hours to play. Overall I'd say this course was good, but you can get better value for your money. $50 for an early afternoon tee time is a little much here in my opinion.

Commented on 03/22/2017

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on our course. Glad to see in the height of season that your round was fast. Having redone our greens this past summer we have had excessive play and even though we do direct traffic onto our fairways (rye) our roughs (Bermuda) do get beat up. Hopefully you will give us another shot sometime.

"Very enjoyable course to play."

Batmat's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

We played late Saturday morning and were paired up with another man playing the course for the first time. Played 18 holes in about 3:45. Course is in good condition and layout is interesting without being too long. Price with last minute golf was great.