Boca Royale Golf & Country Club

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire is required. No denim or short shorts
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Championship 72 6188 yards 70.4 127
Middle 72 5718 yards 68.2 119
Forward 72 5017 yards 69.9 116

Average Rating 4.0 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals seniors   Challenges include water hazards bunkers narrow fairways   Great for drinks dinner brunch

"Boca Royale"

Pat7878835's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

This was the second time to give this course a shot. The first time they failed to mention they had no greens with no advisory so all we got was a run around. Tried to give it a second shot yesterday, booked a single and informed them my wife couldn't play as she is recovering from cancer surgery but would be going along for ride. In spite of the fact they were not busy they required $23 extra. I get the sense they don't like golfnow customers

Commented on 06/05/2017

Not sure how best to respond to this. Last summer we redid our greens and had temporary's in place, clearly communicated via GolFNow and our website and golf shop team. We have always had a "rider" fee for those that choose to ride but not play and again communicate it. We appreciate the business that GolfNow brings to us and I hope would never be percieved as not. Our primary goal this year has been to improve our customer service and I am sorry that you did not experience that improvement. We will continue to work on this and should you return please introduce yourself to the GM so we can discuss. Thank you.

"Gets In Your Head"

gorlicka's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

I found this course to be more difficult than an objective review would conclude. There is water everywhere, some forced carries. and some spots where the ball rolls in unexpected directions. If you can't bring a sports psychologist with you, take a deep breath before each shot. Other than that, the course is in decent shape, the multiple sets of tees allow matching to your ability, and par is possible on several holes, even with a handicap index in the high teens.

Commented on 05/29/2017

Thank you very much for your feedback and support. It is a challenging course, hence our sports psychologists come starters advising moving up on the tees for newbies to the course. :-) You may note here that they tend to be criticized for offering that advice however will continue to do so to hopefully alleviate first timer frustration with the challenge of the course. It is a lot easier the next time - promise!

fwk3fwk4's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Commented on 05/29/2017

As an advanced player I would encourage you to return to play our course during the season when our conditions are optimal. Coming off a very busy season during our areas worst drought in 100 years has taxed our conditions. We are now performing all of the USGA Best Practices to get us fully recovered ASAP. We hope to see you again soon.

"To be avoided."

petroloss's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Nice setting but very poor condition on the whole. Rock hard fairways. Almost more GUR areas than golf course. One place we will never go back to again.

Commented on 05/24/2017

Very sorry to see this review, especially since the conditions you encountered are very typical for this time of year for Florida courses after a very busy season. We also have to consider that we are coming out of our most extreme drought ever! Is also why today we are closed to aerate the greens and tees as per our maintenance schedule. In fact we will aerate our greens and tees at least twice more this summer. We have aerated and verticut our fairways once and will do again soon. All of this is part of our annual USGA Best Practices and will get us very quickly back into top condition for play. I would hope that you will return and play our course during prime time when conditions are best and not at the end of the season when we shift into extreme maintenance mode.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Commented on 05/24/2017

Thank you very much for your five star rating and support - our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return.

"This course has a ton of character"

Tstephens351's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017

Beautiful fairways and greens, with great turns and hazards with loads of wildlife to watch and listen to in between holes. Enjoyed every minute.

Commented on 05/17/2017

So glad to read your review and hear that you enjoyed your experience with us - be sure to tell a friend and hurry back.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2017
First time playing Used cart Verified Purchaser

As I read, the front nine is much tougher than the back

A lot of water, especially on the front. The back nine is narrower, but plays easier.

I used just about every club in my bag

I will play again.

This course is about 1/2 mile from home

Commented on 05/17/2017

Happy to see that your experience with us was positive and thank you for your review and support.

"Bocca Royal"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/09/2017

Excellent course, greens excellent shape and very challenging. Not crowded and very enjoyable.

Commented on 05/17/2017

Thank you very much for your support and 5 star rating. Our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Commented on 05/17/2017

Thank you for your endorsement and rating - glad to see that you found our staff excellent & friendly - we are working on it.

Jim4644385's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

Commented on 05/17/2017

Thank you for your endorsement and 4 star rating - we appreciate it and look forward to your return.

"another great experience"

richaleth's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

OK - after some 5 months of drought, all golf courses suffer from the same issues, some more then others, unfortunately BR is bone dry, cut maybe lower then I would expect, greens super fast, chipping off hard ground a challenge. Having said all of this - let there be rain, as in a major soak-er and the good times shall return. Always loved to come to this course a few times every season, driving down from Sarasota. Now to the starter issue as has been mentioned by others. We arrived 30 min. early as we always do because as for myself, I must hone my swing in a warm up session or pay the price. Why is the starter so picky and forceful to t-off when he says not when my t-time was set, especially since there was nobody behind us. Not so cool.

Commented on 05/17/2017

Happy to report that we received almost an inch of rain last night and you can already see the impact. Thank you for your endorsement and support - we continue to work on starter training and appreciate feedback here to how we are progressing.

lowjel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/07/2017

Commented on 05/17/2017

Thank you very much for your endorsement and 4 star rating. Our entire team appreciates it.

"Vacation golf"

t1443650787's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/04/2017

Good course makes you think your way round

Course protects itself with well placed bunker and water features

Only bad point was bare dirt patches just off the fairway

A very enjoyable round and staff were all very friendly

Commented on 05/17/2017

Thank you very much for your support and positive review - our entire team appreciates it.

"tight front, back is more reasonable"

patszyman1949's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

very nice old course. front is a little old fashioned, small well guarded greens, very interesting, very well maintained, fun course, very pleasant staff. Be careful on the front but enjoy the scenery.

Commented on 05/03/2017

Thank you very much for your positive feedback, 4 star review and support - our entire team appreciates it and looks forward to your return.

"Terrible customer relations"

Strokefore's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

The starter was yelling at customers as they were addressing their tee shot. Then he and a colleague laughed out loud after she topped it. The guy really is a terrible representative of this out dated golf course. Greens were terrible, trash in wastebaskets...the layout was ok but no warm up area. They have three stalls to hit balls. The balls are laying all over in the dirt...pathetic. The start typifies the minimum wage and his retired state of mind!

Commented on 05/03/2017

Very sorry to see this review and wonder if you were in fact here as our team would never yell at a guest, nor laugh at an errand shot. We did redo our greens this past summer and have been getting very positive feedback both here on GolfAdvisor and in person. Maybe you can come back and try us again and have a better experience. What do you think?

"I Don't Know!!!"

Darren3524103's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

Let me start off by saying the only reason I would tell a friend to play here is because I did really like the course layout. It was fun and challenging.

Before I book a tee time I made sure I read reviews on the course like I do with every course that is new to me. Like always you have good reviews and bad reviews so I took everything with a grain of salt. My son and I went golfing and when we first got there where you drop off the golf bags the guy seemed kind of rude and Moody so I just chalk that up to it was really hot that day. After we got our cart we went to the pro shop to check in. The guy in the pro shop was awesome really friendly and explained where everything was.

My son and I were 45 minutes early so we could warm up because I have not play golf in over a year. We started to practice our chipping and the starter came up to my son and said are you the 952 tee off and he said yes. The starter said you can go tee off on 1 he is ready for us. My son told him we just got here and we needed to warm up so the starter threw his hands up in the air and drove off. My son and I thought we were going to be golfing alone but we are paired with two other guys. One of the guys was teeing off and the starter was trying to talk to the other guy and that upset him. The guy told the start to basically shut his mouth when someone was teeing off. Other than those two people I think that everything else was pretty good.

I'm not trying to say the customer is always right but there is golf etiquette and professionalism. I hope this helps anybody that decides to go here I would say please give it a shot it's not a bad course. You're always going to have good reviews and bad reviews so I would say make your own decisions and I hope this helps

Commented on 05/03/2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our course. Not happy to hear about the less than stellar performance from two of our team and yes - we will be discussing this with them. It has been a long busy season but that is never an excuse for poor service. We do hope you will try us again soon.

"Nice course, great day."

wpforme's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Always have a great day on Boca Royale course. I prefer the back 9 to the front. Few hidden bunkers, some challenging water holes. A little dry, greens were a little fast, but true. Played the back tee's, made for a great day. Lot's of dead trees, looks like the Spanish moss is doing the trick. Lot's of nice homes, people very friendly here.

Watched a little alligator walk across the course, lots of bird variety.

Commented on 05/03/2017

Thank you for your positive feedback and five star rating. Like most everywhere at this time we are very dry and in need of rain. We are pleased that your experience was positive and look forward to your return soon.

"Top notch track"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

Premium experience begins when you arrive at the club. Staff are engaging and friendlyleading to an awesome experience. Our experience included an early morning tee off before the restaurant opened. Thanks to staff for getting us 3 badly needed coffees before the opening. Others talk about a great experience Boca Royale makes it happen. 3 Canucks.

Commented on 04/28/2017

Thank you 3canucks for your positive feedback and five star rating. We are pleased that your experience was positive and look forward to your return soon.

"Not a handicap friendly course"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/24/2017

I require oxygen and have to drive up to flat areas on tees and greens within 10 feet of so of where I hit the ball. I explained this to the starter and he said it wouldn't be a problem as long as I didn't go onto the greens. I played 8 holes without a problem and then on the 9th hole I hit my second shot onto the green and drove around on the cart path to the rear of the green and around to the left rear within 15-20 feet of the green. I walked out to my ball and putted and returned to the cart where one of the pro shop people walked over and said I had to stay on the cart paths near the tees and greens at all times. I explained I could not do that as my O2 level drops off to the mid 80s when I walk up any incline or more than 20 feet. He said I would either have to comply with his ruling or I could take a 9 hole raincheck and leave the course. I have played up to 100 courses with these needs and this is the first time I have been treated like this. Neither I or. My friends will return to this course.

Commented on 04/26/2017

I was very sorry to read your review and though the team member who spoke to you had a slightly different perspective of what transpired, he was reminded of how important it is that our golfers experience be positive. We did learn an important lesson in that the Starter needs to give the rest of the team the details when agreeing to deviate from normal practices. We do hope you will give us a second chance and assure you that we learn from our experiences, both negative and positive. Again, thank you for taking the time to post your review.

"Overall good experience"

andrebard's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

We arrived at the course and were well received. We were asked if we wanted to go off earlier which we did. Overall the course was in very good condition. Greens were true but small compared to some courses. Great lay out with a good mixture of fun holes and challenging holes. Overall it was a great experience.

Commented on 04/26/2017

Always great to read of experiences like yours. Thank you very much for sharing and please hurry back.