The Ranch Golf Club

4.3712000000 4.4 stars from 5 (132)

• 65 Sunnyside Rd, Southwick, MA 01077
  • (866) 790-9333, (413) 569-9333
  • theranchgolfclub.com

Year built: 2001
Architect(s): Damian Pascuzzo (2001)
Type: Public
Greens: L-93, G-2, and A-4 Bentgrass
Fairways: Providence, Putter, Imperial and Southshore Bentgrass

GPS: Yes

Driving range: Yes - 20 grass stations
Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: Bathing attire, cut off shorts, halter-tops, tube tops, tank tops, and similar types of recreational wear are not considered proper dress on the golf course.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Amex

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs near the airport   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks patio dining dinner

"A Must play"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

This is a fantastic layout and a great day fee facility.

Conditions were "private course" or better. The layout has a combination feel of a links course on early and finishing holes and a Mountain course on the interior. Wide open fairways early followed by elevation changes and tree lined level fairways on the top of the rise. I turly think this is one of the very best layouts in Western Mass including Taconic and by far the best day fee course. This is a must play for any serious golfer and worth a trip as a destination course.

Response from The Ranch Golf Club on 02/14/2017:

Hey "u000005597379" thank you so much for the endorsement! We sincerely appreciate all of the kind words about the course and we hope to see you again soon!

"Rainy Ranch"

hybie's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/09/2016

1st time played, got T time on golf now.com, nice midweek price. A light rain fell on and off so it wasn't that busy which made for an enjoyable pace of play. The course set in the rolling hills of the pioneer valley has some scenic vistas. From a distance the club house complex could easily be the subject of a landscape artist. Conditions were good, however the fairways showed some wear of a busy season. Blind T shots, hidden greens and punitive geography seem to make this course challenging from any T box. As I played back down to the clubhouse through the last few holes I thought how the valley is filled with a variety of good fun courses. From the Crumpim fox up north to Hickory, Chucopee, Ledges in the central, the Springfield Muni's in the city and the Crests the Oak, St A's and Ranch in the south, just to name a few. Being somewhat new to the game (4th full yr) it's nice to not have to go to far to experience some fun, affordable, quality golf.

Commented on 01/06/2017

Hey "hybie" thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review! We look forward to having you back out here again when we open back up!

"Great Golfing"

aserella1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in good condition even though there hasn't been much rain. Pace was a little slow (5 hr round) but that being said it was very busy because it was a beautiful fall day. Love playing at this course.

Commented on 01/06/2017

Hey "aserella1" thank you for the 5* review! We are glad that you got to play on a beautiful day and hope to see you out here when we open back up!

"Indian Summer Day"

tbsides's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2016

This is a terrific course which I enjoy immensely, but it has gotten heavy play , so there are lots of divots in the fairways, and the greens are in less than perfect shape as too many golfers have not repaired their ball marks. I played as a single, and it took 8 holes of waiting at every hole before the 4some in front of me invited me to play through.......with at least 3 holes open in front of them. Pro shop was great getting me out on the course 40 minutes earlier than my scheduled tee time from GolfNow.

Commented on 01/06/2017

Hey "tbsides" thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We appreciate the kind words about our staff and hope to see you again soon!

"Very scenic"

carty1940's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Great layout with lots of variety allowing for use of all your clubs.

Commented on 01/06/2017

Hey "carty1940" thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are happy you enjoyed the layout and hope to see you again soon!

"Slow play"

mbarrett1957's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2016

Very slow play and no ranger on the course

Commented on 01/06/2017

Hey "mbarrett1957" we apologize that you were not happy with the pace of play but we hope to see you when we open back up!

"Decent course"

manderson2228's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Not a great course but not bad. I wasn't blown away at the condition of the course vs other courses in the area for a third of the price. Liked the layout, and the it was a nice looking course. Greens rolled good and fair. Greens fees seem high on the weekend close to 100$ This is a 45-65$ course in my opinion.

"Challenging and beautiful New England golf"

brian5224613's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I have been playing at The Ranch since it opened and have watched the course mature. The only reason I gave course conditions a Good was that the greens were recently aerated (but didn't impact putting too much, hitting into the greens it checked because they were soft). The fairways, rough and traps were in great condition. The rough (grasses) were in great condition as well and the improvements in the last year to where they let the grasses grow were much appreciated from a visual standpoint. Plenty of water on course, electric carts and practice facilities were helpful on the overall experience.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Hey "brian5224613" thank you so much for the 5* review! We apologize that you played right after aeration but are glad that you enjoyed the rest of the course! We hope you come see us again soon!

"Fun course."

James2418751's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2016

I would have given the course 5 stars but the greens had just been aerated and it had an impact on the round. Otherwise, course was great. Staff was fantastic. I will definitely play the course again once the greens return to normal.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Hey "James2418751" thank you for the positive words about our staff! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and we hope to see you soon!

"Where did that Picture come from???"

Matthew3304221's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2016

That's not the ranch BTW. But the course it excellent. A few elevation changes on some hole detract just a hare from overall course but it is a total winner IMHO. I travel an hour to play this course when I do.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Hey "Matthew3304221' we appreciate the 5* review! We are flattered that you make an hour trip all the way to the course! Come see us again soon.

Commented on 08/27/2016

So they have changed and added the proper pictures from the actual ranch

Commented on 08/27/2016

that's the 16th hole

"Great Course!"

po2571's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2016

Definitely will go back many more times

Commented on 09/06/2016

Hey "po2571" we look forward to seeing you soon!

"Great Course, Great deal, Go play!"

dgsmith09's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/09/2016

The Ranch has everything you need in a course. Some challenging holes, some scoring holes, great views, great conditions, and a very nice facility. It's worth the money - try to find the deals online - makes it even better.

Commented on 09/06/2016

Hey "dgsmith09" thank you so much for the positive review! We appreciate all the kind words about the course and hope to see you again soon!

"Happy golfer"

uCHJN1834CH's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2016

Course was a in great shape. People playing need to take care of greens. There were marks from people dragging their feet and I fixed a ton of ball marks. I paid a fantastic price and I gladly fixed many marks on each green.

"Despite drought"

niceguyeddy's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2016

A bit of a drought has made course maintenance difficult, but the greens and fairways were in very good shape.

A hot deal on golfnow, this was well worth it! It's not Baltusrol or Winged Foot, but a great course that you can actually play......

"What an amazing golf course"

seanregnier9726's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2016

I lived nearby and had never played this course before. Typically play cheaper courses but decided to have a family outing there. It was a surreal experience. The course was in amazing condition, staff extremely friendly, really a class above most courses in western MA. I will be sure to be back. It is a little expensive for someone my age to attend frequently, but I will be back as soon as I can. The course made me carefully consider my club selection off the tee, as some carefully placed bunkers made me reconsider hitting driver.

"Very nice course."

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2016

Had four hours to spare and was able to book a tee time for around noon for one. Pace was exceptional and staff was friendly and helpful. Course was in as good of condition as this year will permit. Been a dry year yet fairways and greens were still green and the ground was not incredibly hard. I would recommend this course.

"Great layout"

Markt123's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

Staff was friendly from the guy picking me & my bag up at my car to the starter. Played at 11:45 on a Saturday pace was fast finished round in 4:10 and we stopped to grab our food order & a few beers. Great conditions and a very fair test of golf

Commented on 07/22/2016

Thank for your 5 star review, Mark! We are so glad you enjoyed the conditions of our course. We hope to see you again soon!

"Always Enjoyable"

Dosydos's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I really do enjoy this course. The whole experience is just wonderful.

You get to start off with 2 putting and chipping greens, and a free unlimited driving range (no mats). After you are warmed up you can get into the GPS cart and enjoy an unforgettable 18 holes. From the tee-boxes to the greens and everything in-between, they are all just in great condition. The course itself has so many memorable holes whether it is the 2 downhill holes (#9 and #16), short par 5 hole #1 or the short par 3 downhill over water. The course offers many risk/reward shots that really make you think about your next shot. The food at the bistro as well is fantastic, a great menu and a good selection of beer as well. My only gripe about playing the Ranch is the pace of play. I have never played a round there where i wasn't waiting to take every shot. I think a simple fix to this would be to allow players to go off on the Front and the Back Nine vs sending everyone off the front. Or perhaps get the ranger more involved and tell groups to start skipping holes if they are too slow, because i am now ending a round 25-30 minutes behind pace of play.

"Joelb"

Joel4809802's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2016

Absolutely love this course it is a gem with great people and great play

"So much fun!"

GJW512's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This was a wonderful "find" for me! Thanks to Golf Now, I was able to find this extremely interesting, beautiful course. It has all the feel of a high end golf course, but seemed very playable. I am a single digit handicap and played my round from the blue tees. I feel I would have enjoyed many of the holes from the back tees as well. I particular liked the greens that rolled true. The layout was so fun and interesting. I can't wait to get back out there. I live 90 minutes away, and was thining I was crazy to drive that far to play golf, but it was well worht the drive and a real treat.

I did not take advantage of the driving range, but the putting/chipping area was nice.

The golf staff was extremely friendly. I did stop in to the clubhouse for a cold one and a burger after the round. I was not impressed with the burger (Stale bun). Im picky about golf and food!

Like I said, I have to get back to the Ranch very soon!