Quintero Golf Club

• 16752 W State Route 74, Peoria, AZ 85383, Maricopa County
  • www.quinterogolf.com

Year built: 2000
Architect(s): Rees Jones (2000), Steve Weisser (2000)
Type: Semi-Private
Style: Desert/Traditional
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Pull-carts: No
Caddies: No

Dress code: Collared shirt and bermuda shorts required. No denim.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Tees | Layout

Silver 72 6435 yards 70.7 137
Cooper 72 5984 yards 69.2 128
Cooper (W) 72 5984 yards 75.8 145
Jade (W) 72 5307 yards 71.9 125

Average Rating 4.7 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks amazing food patio dining

"Great course!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

Love this course. It was my first time playing it and I will be playing there a lot more. I'm an average golfer that gets to play once or twice a month and felt that it was a challenging but fair course. Not so difficult that you go home mad. This is the best scenery of any courses I have played since moving to Phoenix! The conditions were perfect. If you haven't played here yet, go check it out. Definitely worth the drive.

"Best Conditions Around"

BGribbons11's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

Played the Stadium Course on Monday and this is hands down a better layout and conditioned course. I love the elevation changes and lightning fast greens. Staff was amazing, very helpful and knowledgeable. Pro shop had anything you could need. Can't wait to get back out here!

"Amazing Course"

woodchris's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/24/2017

While it is a bit of a trek to get to Quintero, what awaits you is what, in my opinion is the best course around Phoenix. The course is really playable with birdies and par opportunities at every hole, but with big scores for poor play. Greens run fast but true. The beauty of the course is amazing and the peacefulness of the surroundings is amazing. Play it, you will love it.

"Good, but definitely not Great"

Andy804's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Overall, I found this course to be "Good", but definitely not great. The greens I played were fast and probably 12.5 on the stimp. This speed causes many average golfers grief and caused some long 2nd putts for people less aware of the speed. Short shots rarely stayed close to the hole. The greens had a lot of brown spots and really were not looking proper.

Fairway design was good and kept balls in play with a "bowl-like" shape, so we did not hit a lot of balls into the desert.

There is a 1 mile cart ride from the pro shop to the 1st tee and this same cart ride at the end of the round. This implies a design flaw in where the club house is (imo). I took a wrong turn and fortunately corrected myself. The signs between the pro shop and 1st hole needs to be more emphatic and clear.

The routing of the course is quirky as we often did not know exactly where the next tee's were. We also had to go back and forth finding our tee's. The signage on this course is definitely a problem. We saw 2 groups "lost" and had gone the wrong way.

The Par 3's on this course are impressive. I hit the same club on 3 of them and at least 3 of them are extremely similar in shot selection. Take pictures because these par 3's are the best point of playing this course.

Overall, I like the course, but it is not worth the money from my point of view. It is a long drive from anything and I believe you can do better.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

"Quintero Golf Club"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2017

Quintero is one of my favorite courses in the greater Phoenix/Scottsdale area; the course is maintained in pristine condition and provides an excellent test ; fantastic views and vistas are the rule from most holes; staff if friendly and accommodating; will definitely return

kpundyk's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

Had a 2:14 time, we got there they said we could get started early. That was great as we were a twilight rate and may not have finished our round prior to sunset. Course was absolutely perfect, couldn't find anything wrong with our experience except our scores.... little higher in price but worth every dollar. Bring your camera too for some great pictutes!

"Lots of fun"

bartolucci's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather

The positives: The course was really fun to play. Because of the elevation changes, there were big drop-off par 3's, long uphill par 4's and 5's and a nice variety of shot making options. I think I used every club in the bag this round. The greens were fast and fun and the hazards are pretty unique being a higher elevation course (relatively speaking). The fairways were generous and I had a really good time there.

The negatives: The tee boxes were completely chewed up and rarely flat. It stood out as a big issue when you really had to look for a great place to tee up. And the course markings were WEAK. More than a few times we found ourselves looking for the right place to go. Also the staff was a bit rude. I know I'm a younger looking guy, but I was greeted with contempt "Can I help you?" "YOU'RE playing here??". Pretty rude, to be honest. Also, the clubhouse is in completely the wrong spot. You have to drive in a golf cart 5-7 minutes up a huge hill to get to the first tee and practice area. Then, after a long round, you have to drive all the way back down the hill to get back to your car! Crazy. It felt like they built the clubhouse first, then built the course where the course made sense. Very illogical.

So, my gripes have less to do with the track, than the experience of playing here. I'd likely recommend to someone to go check out, but I doubt I'd go back.

"Superior practice facilities"

Mikekeller33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

Quintero is not only a world class golf course with a challenging layout and beautiful landscapes, but the driving range and multiple putting and chipping greens were an excellent start to our day.

"Best course out of the 5 we played"

jphastings695's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/04/2017

Course is set in beautiful Desert Mountain Scenery and is just a short drive north and west of Phoenix.

Amazing scenic views, and great layout for golf. A tee box for everybody. I recommend "playing forward" if your an average golfer. Really enjoyed our experience. Cassandra's provides excellent drink and food choices for relaxing after your round.

Thanks Brad, for making our last golf outing to the Phoenix area a great experience!

"Verrado Golf Club"

craigjossi's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/24/2017

Course was fantastic. Greens were quick and rolled true. Always enjoy playing this course as there are no homes right on the course and you get the true desert feel. Views around the course are phenomenal. Make it a point to play here if you can.

"Mixed review"

Scotty1952's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017
First time playing Used cart Verified Purchaser

The course layout and setting are pretty hard to beat at Quintero. As the course was rated #1 in the State for 2016 by Golf Digest, maybe my expectations were set a bit high. I will nit pick a bit, since we paid a premium price to play here. The greens were marked up quite a bit with repaired/unrepaired ball marks. Not all the fault of the staff, of course. We tried to repair ours and a few others, but it was definitely a distraction. There were a lot of grass clippings left around and on the greens also. I am thinking about Wickenburg Ranch when I am writing this and if I had the choice, I would play before Quintero, simply because of the green conditions and immaculate grooming of Wickenburg.

"Wear your big boy pants, this is a gem"

walterzjr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

This may be the best course the public has access to in the Scottsdale area and it is worth the drive to go out and play this course.

They are using temporary facilities there until a clubhouse is built. The employees were very welcoming from the bag drop, pro shop, driving range, starter and cart girls. Quintero is a very difficult Rees Jones Designed track that is hilly affording some great views. All four par 3's have yardage drops of 15-25 yards less than the cart GPS which only shows yardage numbers to the green. The very handy course tips they give you in the pro shop lists that. None the less the 5 Dollar yardage book did come in handy. The 6400 yard silver tees had a slope rating of 137 with the gold being 143 and black at 148 and 7249 yards. The greens were exceptionally fast and it was cart path only due to two days of rain prior. If you have an opportunity to play here do it because you wont regret the visit.

"Incredible"

Cochems's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2017

It was my first golf trip to Scottsdale. This course is absolutely worth the hour drive outside of town. It's the first course I've ever played where the starter gives you a hole by hole tip sheet and you need it becuse you've never played such elevated par 3s. The practice facilities were nice and first few holes were cool and it kept getting better and better. The par 3s are amazing with huge down hill shots. We found ourselves keeping our cell phones in our pockets because you could take a pic of the scenery on every hole. And pics don't do this course justice! The 3 of us agreed that this was the coolest course we've ever played and that's after playing We Ko Pa Cholla the day before. My only nit pick like mentioned before would be ball marks on some the greens but we quickly stopped caring. This is a must play.

"Best public course in AZ"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/07/2017

A fantastic golf course in great condition. Lush fairways and fast, but fair greens. While in the middle of nowhere, no houses around the course makes for a rare chance to play golf without the detractions that accompany real estate development. Other than the five hour round we caught because of a clueless foursome ahead of us, the day was spectacular. Scottsdale tracks have nothing on this rural Peoria beauty.

"Desert Heaven"

caigetyler's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2017

My brother & I took a weekend trip out to Scottsdale to play some golf for his birthday. I have a few local friends out there and when I asked them what course we should play they all unanimously said The Q! In my mind there is no better person to ask than an avid local golfer who knows every golf course in the area.

It is located outside the main part of Scottsdale but not far at all and the drive goes very fast. And to be honest, this only added to the prestige and amazement of the course as the views from every hole were spectacular, with only desert heaven to enjoy and no buildings or civilization to clutter up the scenery.

There was a temporary club house but it provided everything needed and was totally fine. I'm sure the new full club house will just make it that much better.

Driving the cart out to the practice facility was gorgeous and once we arrived the excitement sets in. The range itself is gorgeous, everything perfectly manicured with pyramids of brand new range balls (not beat up old ones).

Moving right over to the first tee actually started one of the best Golf days my brother and I have had in a long time.

I cannot think of one aspect of the course that was not magnificent and 5 stars no doubt.

To start the grass was so good you wanted to fee if it was fake. And of course it was not. It was as perfect as I have ever seen grass at any golf course. I played Torrey Pines a few weeks earlier and it was fantastic but there is no doubt this was better, not only by the eye test but also by feel. Flushing a shot from the fairways could not feel better. The rough was thick and plush, so it had a love hate relationship, but I couldn't deny it was gorgeous and in amazing shape.

Every tee had a perfect line of sight for the holes and were all nestled in to the desert landscape so naturally. All you could see was the gorgeous green of the holes then miles and miles of gorgeous desert flat lands, hills and mountains. The grass and underlying dirt on the tees was perfect; soft enough to put a tee in easily but firm enough to have good footing and be able to have great contact on the ball. I do not recall one that wasn't level allowing for a great stance and set up to the ball.

The layout of the course and it's difficulty were definitely not easy. But it also was totally getable. Plenty of holes to hit good shots and have a good score and feel proud you did it on such a demanding course. It's now 4 days later and I can still remember every hole. It really is that memorable and unique.

I don't think words could describe the greens. They would rival any PGA tour event's greens. I will leave it at that.

I could go on and on but I think I gave a decent picture of what I thought of this course. Just one more thing to add, the staff were great. They understood the idea of service and ensuring us as the customer felt cared for. All did it with a smile and you could feel they were proud of the course they worked for and service they provided.

I will recommend this course to anyone that loves the game of golf at its purest. I have already made my next reservation and can't wait to tee it up again.

"Hidden Gem in the Desert"

Codymoore10's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/03/2017

I must say I could't have asked for a better day of golf. I flew out for the weekend to go to Waste Management tournament and playing this course ended up being the highlight of my weekend. The course was manicured to perfection. It was shocking how good the grass and greens were. On top of that i did play some darn good golf which always makes the experience that much better.

From the moment we arrived we were catered to. From bag drop off to cart girls, the service was top notch.

At one point on the back nine we stopped to listen... Nothing... You could hear a pin drop. And coming from Los Angeles where you are always along some freeway or airport, this was a nice breath of fresh air.

Sure, its a little drive out of town. But the JUICE IS WORTH THE SQUEEZE.

"Outstanding Golf and Lodging Experience"

JerryMorrisJr's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2017

We rented the one of the town houses located on the course for 4 nights. The town house, course, staff, and overall experience were outstanding and we will be making it an annual trip.

"Phenomenal Greens - Disappointing experience."

doughnutzpar's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2017

I heard about this course from a couple of people and decided to trek out to the course. High Expectations

Some great experiences and some very disappointing ones.

Positives:

*Green were slick and fast - a little burnt out on the edges but the greens were unbelievable.

*The course was nicely laid out but we had trouble remembering holes after the round (except the par 3s because massive elevation changes.

*Not a ton of houses so there were some spectacular views.

Negatives:

*Tee boxes were atrocious. Their Par-3s were the worst. They tried to grow the grass to make them look even but they are severely uneven. Even the par 4s and 5s had their moments with bumps. I would have given the course a 5 on course conditions but the teeboxes dropped it to 3. They were that bad for a high-priced course.

*The service was not great - starter was a little rude. I feel when you play a course like this, the experience is supposed to draw you back. I conferred with my playing partners and they agreed that the sense was we were lucky to get a tee time during WM Open week and we were there for them - not they were there to help us. May be unfair but all three of us got that sense.

*We barely finished even though we teed off 4:50 minutes before sunset. We watched a group spend at least 10 minutes with the bev cart while an employee watched. I see where the delayed happened. The second tee had two groups waiting - and happened on several holes - sign of a mismanaged pace of play

*Proshop is not good. I assume it is a temporary spot given the building and 5 minute drive to the first tee box and range.

OVERALL: Considering the drive and the cost, it did not meet up to our expectations. The service, tee boxes, and pace of play put a damper on the experience. I can see why people like the course - and it could be better - but overall is was a victim of high expectation and the value not there.

There are too many courses in PHX/Scottsdale to play at that price point.

I wish it was different.

Commented on 02/26/2017

What other courses do you reccomend?