Verde River Golf & Social Club

• 29005 N. Vista Verde Dr. , Rio Verde, AZ 85263
  • www.verderivergolf.com

Year built: 2006
Architect(s): Ken Kavanaugh (2006), Tom Lehman (2016)
Type: Private

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice hole: Yes

Walking allowed: No
Dress code: No denim, No blue jeans, & No Cut offs. Collared Shirts are required.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex, Discover Welcomed

Copper/Teal 72 5615 yards 65.2 111
Copper/Teal (W) 72 5615 yards 71.7 124
Teal 72 5161 yards 62.7 108
Teal (W) 72 5161 yards 68.5 115

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers locals   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens forced carries   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Amazing View of Mountains"

Pja14's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Verde River has amazing views of the mountains and a very solid layout. When I played about 5 holes were under construction, so I did not get the full experience. Greens and bunkers were what you would expect from a nice course. Worth the drive.

Stan921's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Course was very challenging. Playing it a 2nd time would be more fun because you would have a better idea as to where to play you shots.

"Good course, but greens too fast..."

Garald2092754's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017

Course is in pretty good shape, fairways maybe a little dry, but the greens were the problem - too hard and fast, did not make for an enjoyable round.

New layout is nice, staff is friendly, but it's still a diamond in the rough.

Worth the drive, would go back if they let their greens grow out a little more. We all know water is a limited resource, especially in AZ, but they seem to be limiting it even further than other courses.

I will have to check if they have updated their GPS on-course coordinates recently, as a few holes were off for most standard personal GPS devices. NO GPS in carts either.

"Greens"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017

Greens were very inconsistent

The layout has changed for the good

"Worth the drive"

liftman1954's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Nice course with very challenging greens. Trying to figure out why the greens on the 1st and the 18th holes were different.. Different in look and in speed. Maybe a little more after since they are so close to the club house? Be warned that there are many waste areas that cut across the fairway and course knowledge is imperative. This is especially true on the 18th where a perfect drive will reward you with a lie at the bottom of a desert wash. Playing your second from this area is very difficult and can unfairly spoil a good round.

toddsmiley's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

"Very Good Value!"

vdaniels16's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/21/2017

First time at Verde River. Great track. Not terribly difficult, but challenging enough. I think the views are absolutely spectacular. I've played at least 50 different golf courses in the past 12 months and this one has the best views hands down.

The staff are very friendly and helpful. The course was dry and a little rough, but frankly, what I expect in May. For $45, I think it was a heck of a value compared to others in the valley.

"Vista Verde Golf & Tennis club"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2017

The redesign by Tom Lehman has made this a more challenging though very fair course. The 4 green redo's have added elevated & more undulating greens which may require higher approach shots. That said, being from MN, I never regret playing a Tom Lehman course. He has designed some of the best courses in MN.

"Surprised at the conditions"

u000001999542's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Haven't played this course since Feb. of this year. I have been playing here since it opened years ago. The conditions of the course were very surprising. Terrible condition. Driving range is brown. Fairways are very thin in places. Nothing but dirt around the 1st green and on numerous other holes. Greens remain very hard. Shea Homes needs to put some effort into the condition of the course.

"Not quite ready for primetime"

jamessavage's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

Greens had been recently sanded. This was not pointed out at booking.

The first hole was not ready for play and there were other parts of the course that were also recently redone.

Overall the design of the course is good although in the wind it can be very difficult to keep the ball on the green because of the mounding and runoffs.

If you are able to get a deal on the green fee then it is worth the drive.

"Not as Good as Shape as 2015"

Greg7410792's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2017
Previously played Used cart

Played previously in May, 2015 and enjoyed round at Verde River and the conditions were excellent. Played again in May, 2017 and was not impressed. A lot of dead grass in spots....Greens and fairways. Made for a disappointing day. Guess that tells you how important conditions are. Staff and service were great. Layout of course is fine. Not too difficult. Not too long. Plenty of room for error.Greens rolled well- quick, actually. Hopefully, conditions improve in near future. Would play again, if we are assured that they have...

"Not very good. Poor service at turn. No Marshal"

meiscoop's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

This was the 1st time I played this course. It was a 1 1/2 hour drive for me, and not worth the drive. Course was very dry, tee boxes were hard/new and the greens were very inconsistent. Plus there needs to be some kind of legend or course layout so you know where your shot might end up. no 150 markers. could go on, but would have been happier if I had paid what one of the others did, which was $11. Anyway might be good in 2-3 years.

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

"This course has gone down hill"

Tony85254's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I've been playing this course since they didn't even have a club house. Now, it seems they are getting too big for their britches and/or the new Management is bad. We first there some "kid" offered to drive me down to my partner on the range. We stop so I can go to the restroom, I come out and he's gone! I start driving myself and then get stopped by the ranger, we take my clubs off my cart on his cart and finish our trip! I then asked if I could get some food and he pointed to the snack shop waaay up past the pool. There was no way I had the time to walk all the way up there. I then asked if the cart girl would have food and we were told she would definitely have food on her cart. When she finally got around to us, she had nothing and was not very friendly and when we asked if she could get us something she said, "no". When we finally made the turn, you have to find the "secret" gate that is close to the bar/snack shop by the pool. The three girls (including the cart girl) that were working the bar need to be trained!!! They were horrible .. rude and VERY slow!!!! It seemed they were walking in slow motion. We had to point to our hotdogs that were done. The dogs were very good. The course's fairways were in very bad shape. And beware, since they re-designed the course, which is very bad, your GPS/range finders devices won't work correctly on some holes and the course has virtually NO yardage markers. It's sad as this course used to be such a great place to play. Probably won't be back, but it may not matter as it seems they are going to be a private club in the near future and virtually don't care about us "average Joe's". Bring your own food, drink, and some patience. And be prepared to use port o potties. Definitely not worth the money.

Commented on 05/02/2017

Hi again Tony, would you mind reaching out to our Director of Golf? Jeff would like to understand in a little more detail about your experience with us.

Email Jeff at jlessig@verderiverclub.com

Many thanks - Kate

Commented on 05/01/2017

Thanks for the response and either our money refunded or a free round for 4 would be great as it truly was a very bad experience.

Commented on 05/01/2017

Hi @Tony85254

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to review the course. We welcome all feedback and look at the comment boards often to work on ways to continually improve guest experience.

We completely agree that our poolside grill "Eddy's" is a little tricky to find. We opened up this new operation just last week, and frankly, we're still ironing out a few kinks. You'll be happy to know that signage is being installed on tee box #9 as well as menus added to all golf carts, to make the food and drink ordering experience much clearer.

Regarding yardage, all sprinkler heads are marked with distances to the front, middle and back of the greens. It sounds like we need to do a better job of mentioning that as well as our complimentary yardage app and promoting our yardage book upon check in. Thank you for flagging that for us.

Your welcome experience is absolutely atypical and we'll work with our golf services team to refine that process. Our aim of course is to exceed guest expectations in all aspects of our golf and dining operations.

Thanks again for the feedback, and we do hope you’ll come back and give us another try.

-Kate

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

"Verde River"

DWBronson's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/26/2017

Very nice course. It was a good course before Tom Lehman's redesign. It's even better now.

"Under construction"

rdtmlt's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

The facility is still going through construction therefore there are only temporary bathrooms on the course. There was no water on the course. They gave 2 bottles but that wasn't enough to last 18 holes. Beverage cart only showed up once. Greens a little hard & fairways cut very short. Not as lush as I remember last time we played last Sept. Tried to purchase items in the pro shop however they had nothing priced. Lady said they had only been open 2 weeks so was in the process of getting set up. Didn't buy anything as she couldn't find prices & products I wanted. It is still a "work in progress".

Commented on 05/02/2017

damm, they are still doing construction? Was here three years ago and they were starting the construction phase. Are they on a 7 year plan? wow

denisellard's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

"Excellent"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

Very professional layout and the greens are very quick not for your average golfer. The sand traps in excellent condition. Would recommend this course to a 0 to 10 handicap from the tips or silver tee boxes. I will be out here playing 2 times a month love the surroundings and the pace of play

"This course may be a new favorite."

Chris7318620's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

Played Verde River for the first time on Sunday. It is a fairly good drive to get there but it is more than worth the time invested. The clubhouse is brand new (opened like 2 days prior). The views of the mountains truly are stunning on every hole. Overall, the course was in outstanding shape although there were some holes where the grass was dry and tight and thus somewhat difficult to hit from. The greens were somewhat sandy but once you got used to the speed, they were good to putt on. The bunkers were a very fluffy sand that was easy to come out of cleanly. The pace of play was outstanding. This was Sunday around noon on a very pleasant day and I had a twosome in front and a single behind. As such, I finished the round in roughly 3 hours and 15 minutes. The clubhouse attendants and the starter were super friendly and helpful. All in all, this may get into my list of "favorites." I will definitely be back.

"New Holes, New experience"

DessertHacker's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Having played Verde River G&S Club a dozen times before the new layout was completed, I looked forward to playing the newest design Leman and crew put together.

I was pleased with how they cleaned up the old course. Bunkers were in great shape...as I was in several. The edges and desert area were cleaned up and playable if you were in it. The new range is very nice and is now, on most days, downwind. The new holes have some filling in and forgiveness to attain but that is to be expected.

We played from the black tees and you still could use less than driver on several tee shots.

The new #1 sets up right next to the range and looks very similar to it.

The new #10 (old 11) is still a challenging par 3 but cleaned up a lot.

The new #16 (old 15) is still a long, long par 5, uphill into the wind all day.

The new #17 (old 18) is a great hole and the only one with water guarding the green....and I still managed to find it, like an old friend you haven't seen in a year.

The new #18 is definitely less than driver as it contains a very firm new fairway and green. Both my playing partner and I were in the wash at the bottom of the hill after our tee shots. Play to the top of the hill.

Pros:

I give it 4 stars for the new course layout, pace of play, course design, water, towels and range balls included and brand new proshop and staff.

Cons:

They were lacking a beverage cart (on a Saturday) and no water at any tees.(why we had 3 bottles in our cart) Unfortunately the bar staff wasn't as friendly as we had hoped and gave off the impression of they were not very happy there. We didn't go back after the round.

Overall, I would recommend it to anyone looking to play a hidden gym in the dessert and of course to anyone that can't afford Parson's course that you pass along the way there. ;-)