Shale Creek Golf Club

Gift this Course
  • 5420 Wolfe Rd, Medina, OH 44256
  • www.shalecreekgolfclubggp.com

Year built: 2006
Architect(s): Brian Huntley (2006)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Dress code: Collared shirt required

Tees | Layout

Green (W) 71 5043 yards 68.8 118

Average Rating 4.5 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers locals a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks dinner 19th hole scenic views

"Expectations Exceeded"

nocryingingolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/12/2016

I had been making it a point to play Shale Creek for over a year and finally decided to take advantage of a Hot Deal.......

The range was closed but I understood as to the reasons why......

Carts have on board GPS/Scoring and help you navigate the course, which is helpful to someone playing here for the first time....

Course was in excellent condition from tee box to green and with the exception of a couple holes where there are a few extra trees, the leaves were raked and/or vacuumed and not an issue for shots that didn't find the fairway.....

I liked the subtle elevation changes and the layout is superb, as no two holes play the same (regardless of what set of tees you choose to play from)....

Greens were consistent and in very good shape with regards to keeping line and pace, which is fairly rare for courses in NE Ohio come mid-November......

The Staff is about as inviting, helpful and accommodating as one could hope for, and all whom I met made an effort to insure my round/visit was a memorable one......

If you've procrastinated about playing Shale Creek (for whatever reason), I highly recommend you make time to book an 18 hole round.....

I can say with confidence that you will find your day to be as memorable and enjoyable as mine was, and you will find it difficult to find disappointment in anything associated with your visit.....

I cannot wait to play here again (and often) in 2017......

Response from Shale Creek on 11/29/2016:

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience playing at Shale Creek! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time. We look forward to seeing you as well in 2017!

"Good course if the price is right...."

David1087946's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Love this place. Great facilities, GPS on the carts, run well. Interesting holes which you can play long or short based on varied tees.

What's not to like? $65+ on the weekends and not too many discounted rates. Definitely work the drive from Cleveland if you can score a hot deal or find rates knocked down a bit. I still think it may be worth it at $65 for most, I just hate paying that much for a round of golf unless it is at a premier course.

Response from Shale Creek on 10/24/2016:

Thank you for the 5 star review! We hope to see you again soon!

"Green's are in really good condition"

sdschade's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2016

The GPS was not working.

I caught up to a 5 some that was holding up

2 twosomes in front of me.

Some of the ball wash stations did not have

Water, or some of them smelled.

Other than that I enjoy playing here.

Response from Shale Creek on 10/24/2016:

We are sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations this time. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!

"I love playing this course, I try to play it at least once a year."

None's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2016

Great conditions, greens rolled nice and held well, overall experience is always great!

Response from Shale Creek on 10/10/2016:

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy playing when in town! We look forward to seeing you next time!

"This course is in great shape; layout is fun!"

Jeffery7421065's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2016

The course was in great shape, range balls were complimentory, and the people were pleasant.

Response from Shale Creek on 10/10/2016:

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time! We hope to see you back soon!

"Great Course"

ttubbs's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2016

Pace was pretty slow (almost 5 hours) other than that it's my favorite course in the area.

Commented on 09/07/2016

ttubbs - Thank you for the 4 star rating! We apologize for the pace of play. We hope we will see you again soon!

"Good Course"

Bunk4030's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016

This is the second time I've played here. Last time was a couple years ago. The Course is in very good shape. Greens are in excellent condition. interesting layout and good variety of holes. I would highly recommend this course.

Hi Bunk4030,

We are so happy to hear that you came back for a second round! It's great to hear that you enjoyed the conditions of the course. Thank you for the wonderful recommendation! We hope to have you back again soon!

"Solid course"

hoticeref's avatar
Cleveland Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2016

Shale is a decent layout, and is always in good shape. Hard to find a hot deal or a good price here though. Their regular rates are quite high for our area. To ease the pain of the cost, they do include range balls, and usually the starter gives you a cold bottle of water when you tee off.

The track itself has some very interesting holes. Not alot of elevation changes as it winds through a housing development.

My main complaint here has been more than a few very unpleasant encounters with pro shop staff. They are arrogant at times, and treat you more like a pest than a guest. On course starters and rangers are usually quite nice.

Halfway house is set up nice, and offers a decent menu at the turn. They advertise their grill alot for after round meals, but it's definitely pricey.

Commented on 09/07/2016

hoticeref - Thank you for the 4 star rating! We hope we will see you back again on the course soon!

"Nice layout"

u000002319051's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Course played fairly. I will return. Got this as a 'hot deal,' making it even better.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for playing at Shale Creek. We are thrilled to hear that you plan on returning and look forward to seeing you again!

"Will return"

u000002319051's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Facility was very nice. Everything was in good shape, but would rather have putted on slightly faster greens.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shale Creek. it's great to hear that you enjoyed everything that we have to offer and we look forward to having you back again soon!

"Exceptional Value!!"

smft74104's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2016

Course is in excellent condition and staff provides great service. Be sure to hit the restaurant for a great conversation with the bartender and excellent food!

Hi SMFT74104,

Thank you for choosing Shale Creek! We strive for excellent customer service and are thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience with the staff! We hope to see you again soon!

"Help need water"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016

Course was in good shape. Greens were slower than usual. It was 95 degrees and no water to be found. At the turn the halfway shack was also out of water and we there were four groups deep on 10 tee box. Only group completely quit and another said they were going to try and play the front again. I really do like the course but with the heat this water issue has to be addressed.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for choosing Shale Creek. We are sorry to hear that you your experience was not up to par. Please email us at AmyTeeTimes@yahoo.com if you would like to further discuss your round. We hope to hear from you soon.

"Shale Creek"

u000006203070's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Greens were a little shaggy probably due to the very hot weather. This is a links style course which may or may not be to your taste. Lots of tee options allow you to configure the course to the quality of your foursome.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for your review and for playing at Shale Creek. We hope to have you back again soon!

"Any way the wind blows..."

rhagan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016

Well kept course, very green in spite of the lack of rain. I play here a few times a month when the "hot deal" is good enough. Only gripes - inconsiderate players that don't repair divots or fix ball marks, and the darned wind that always seems to be gusting in my face no matter which way I am hitting the ball! Oh well. Highly recommended course.

Hi Rhagan,

Thank you for playing at Shale Creek and for the wonderful recommendation! We are so happy to hear that you play here often and look forward to having you back!

"Shale Creek is Fun to Play"

DAB4par's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Here Granite Golf has a public course that could be a Private Club. Course conditions are awesome, ProShop staff extremely friendly, and just enjoy playing here a few times a year. Started out with Birdie #1, so I knew that to be a bad omen. This windy day made a few holes play longer, but I didn't take advantage of the down-wind shots either. The course was virtually empty, so no problem there; we were left to complain only about our own poor shots & no excuses for DbleBogies. The layout is fine, all interesting & testing holes, but be glad you have a cart (w/Hot Deal Special) to traverse between a few holes.

Hi DAB4par,

Thank you for choosing Shale Creek! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful experience with the staff, as well as on the course. We hope to have you back again soon!

"Fun track"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2016

Course was in great shape. Worth every penny. Will go back again

Commented on 07/05/2016

Thank you for your 5 star review! We are so glad that you had a good experience with us and are looking forward to having you back!!

"furst timer"

bob1429's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/24/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Beautiful weather day, the pace was a little slow do to an outing. the course was in nice shape , but the greens were a little shabby., too many people don't fix ball marks or pick up their feet. It was an excellent choice for the price I paid, don't know if I would feel that way if I paid full price.

Commented on 07/05/2016

Thank you for your review and feedback. We will take it into consideration as we are constantly working on improving the conditions of our course. We do hope that you come back and join us again for a future round, Bob!

"Good value, nice track"

RyanLaGanke's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2016

Could do without the million cluster homes surrounding the golf course because it takes away from the natural beauty of the course but all in all a very nice golf course and fun to play.

Commented on 06/17/2016

Hi RyanLaGanke,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your round here at Shale Creek Golf Club. We look forward to having you back again soon!

"This course is in great shape"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/06/2016

Play the course on Monday great condition pace of play great

Commented on 06/13/2016

u000005251061 -

We are truly over the moon from your 5 star review!!! We are pleased to hear that your experience with us was amazing! We look forward to you coming back soon!

Best Wishes,

Shale Creek Golf Club Management

"A perfect combination of fair and penalty"

tedmbrady's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Shale Creek was new to us (my Westlae neighbor and I) a couple weeks ago. Since then we have played it a couple times an become more familiar with this excellent golf course. it is a perfect mix of fair layout (assuming you find the fairway) and plenty of penalties (Shale's rough is as penalizing as any rough I've ever played).

The greens are a special subject by themselves. They are so fast and accurate that if one were to misread the speed he/she also loses the line. They are unforgiving to a tee (no pun).

Bring your A game if you want to score, but even if your A game doesn't exist yet in this early part of our NE Ohio golf season, the course is not "tricked" or unfair.

Playing it again today. :)

Ted

Commented on 05/31/2016

Hi Ted,

Thank you for your wonderful review! We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed both the challenge and the condition of the course! We love having you here and are thrilled to hear that you keep coming back!