Shale Creek Golf Club

Dress code: Collared shirt required

Green (W) 71 5043 yards 68.8 118

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge locals   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks dinner 19th hole scenic views

"Infuriating pace of play."

Marc8753206's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/08/2017

I played the back 9 first and loved it. Really enjoyed it. Then after the first nine it hit the slowest 3 ball I've ever been behind. I watched them tee off on every hole. They were not very good which is fine but have some decency or some golf etiquette and allow quicker better golfers to play through. Rangers should enforce this. Course was in good shape and looked nice. Would I play here again???? I don't know.... I was so angry at the pace of play on 17 I picked up my ball and drove back to club house. 8 holes took 2hrs:40mins. Ridiculous.

"A wet day at Shale"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2017

Love this course but had a slightly wet start and rain during. I want to get back and play it again on a dry day. Great course

"Open course"

23Jarrell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2017

Open coarse in good shape greens fast some of pin placement difficult can be very challenging but playable enjoyed our round

Response from Shale Creek on 08/03/2017:

Hi David, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Shale Creek. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff, conditions, and layout. We hope to see you back soon for another 5 star round in the Cleveland area!

"It was not much better than expected"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Actually. I really wanted to play golf at this golf course.

but it was not much better than expected.

greens and fairways are little bit hard to make good approach shot near greens. and some of holes are very challeging but also others are little bit moderate and boring.

Response from Shale Creek on 08/03/2017:

Hi Kangwoo, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Shale Creek Golf Club. We appreciate your business and the 4 star review. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with our staff, layout, and pace of play. We hope to earn your business again in the future.

"nice course"

Urgist7's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Very nice staff who take your clubs, give you a fresh bottle of chilled H2O and send you to the driving range after you check in. Have heard lots of things about the course. Only drawback was the greens were only fair in my opinion. they have taken a lot of play and poor repairing of ball marks.

Response from Shale Creek on 08/03/2017:

Hi George, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Shale Creek Golf Club. Your feedback is very helpful to us regarding the conditions. We appreciate the 4 star rating and hope to see you soon.

"Has potential to be excellent!"

mtjaskiewicz's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017

Shale Creek is nice. Obviously one of the nicest courses in northeast Ohio and any local golfer would agree. I just think it has potential to be even better than it is. The only complaint I have is that the greens were very slow relative to how I would have expected them to be. The grass on the greens was much longer than it should have been which made the greens tough to get used to. The layout is great, though. Challenging holes, but nothing impossible. Try not to make mistakes that cost shots early on a hole because you won't be able to make them up on the greens!

Response from Shale Creek on 08/03/2017:

Hi Matt, thank you for taking the time to review our course, Shale Creek. We are so glad to hear that you had a pleasant experience. We hope to see you back for another round.

"My Experience"

glbaughman's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/28/2017

First time to play the course - played during the week with a 11:20 tee time as a single. Got to the course early, told starter I could go whenever - he said everything was booked until my time. Went to first tee, I am a single - they put the twosome out 20 minutes ahead of me! There I was - playing behind groups of 4 - 2.5 hour front nine. Played front again just to get golf in - too many good choices in this area to play there again!

Response from Shale Creek on 08/03/2017:

Hi Gary, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on our course, Shale Creek. We regret to hear that you didn't have a favorable experience. Your thoughts have been noted for future improvements. We hope that you give us the chance to earn your business again in the future.

Commented on 08/04/2017

I'm not sure how long you've been playing golf, but if it's been awhile then you should know that unfortunately, Aces have no rights. While it's annoying, I don't see anything wrong with what the golf course did. You should have asked if you could play with the twosome.

"Great course!"

brian4132472's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/19/2017

Great course! Front nine is wide open but the rough is deep so if you hit off the fairway you are still in trouble. Lots of sand and water, most of the back is position shots because of the dog legs. The course is in great shape with big green that are kept up and play fast with good rolls. They have 5 different tee boxes, so it doesn't matter the level of the player, there's one fir your game.

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 05/23/2017:

"brian4132472" thank you for the 5 star review! We are excited to hear that the course was in great shape for your round and you enjoyed that it was playable for all skill levels. We hope to see you again soon for another round!

"Love the course."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/14/2017

Shale Creek is one of our favorite courses to play. They need a ranger out on the course to tell slower golfers to pick up pace. Skipped two holes to pass up slow groups that would wave us through.

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 05/18/2017:

We apologize for any poor experiences you may have had with pace of play during your round. However, we are happy to hear that Shale Creek is one of your favorite courses to play! We look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.

"Links style course in mid-season form"

KOOPER7777's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

The nicest course I played this year. Greens are fast and true. Fairways are cut perfect. Rough is pretty thick. Most of the sandtraps were groomed but a little on the hard side. Costs a little more than I usually like to pay but you definitely get what you pay for.

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 05/01/2017:

"KOOPER7777" thank you for the 5 star review! We appreciate your feedback and love knowing that you enjoyed your round with us. We are happy to hear we are the nicest course you've played all year and felt that you got the value for what you paid! We look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.

Kenneth9616488's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 04/25/2017:

"Kenneth9616488" thank you for the 5 star review! We are ecstatic to see that, overall, you had an excellent round with us! We look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.

uQUWZ6663QU's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 04/19/2017:

We are happy to see that you enjoyed your round with us overall. We are glad to see the greens were in great shape as well. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon for another round!

"Great course"

Rstiggy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

Top notch public course. Does not get any better than this one fellas. Played on Easter alone, clubhouse guy was extremely friendly to me went and grabbed me a diet coke because brunch was taking place.

Course is outstanding, greens are slick, wind is a factor. Better be on your game here when the wind kicks up or it'll be a long day

Top top notch

Response from Shale Creek Golf Club on 04/24/2017:

Hey Ryan, thank you for the feedback and five star rating! We appreciate your support and are happy to hear you enjoyed the staff friendliness, course layout, and course conditions! We look forward to having you back again here at Shale Creek Golf Club, have a great day!

"First Time"

Tsmithjr9's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

First time playing this course, but I have played most of Huntley's other courses in the area. First when you get there they come out and load the bag for you and bottles of water are in the cart waiting. Nothing I've seen at any other public course in the area. Great first impression. The course was in fantastic shape, some low spots were soft, but it's expected in April. There are lots of traps, lakes, and creeks, but the wind is the real trouble here. This is a links style course and I can't compare it to anything else in the area.

The greens were soft and held well, but they were slower than expected, but again April. For all the undulation they didn't break very much. I'll be nice and say that some of the pins...were a bit unfair on some of the holes, maybe too much Augusta for the greenskeeper?

My group caught another 4-some on 7 and that slowed us down, but we jumped them at the turn and last I saw they were 3 holes behind us, so maybe our 4 hours is not to be expected all the time. Overall this was a great morning, a great course both condition and layout and I will definitely be back to play again!

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 04/17/2017:

"Tsmithjr9" thank you for the 5 star review! We are happy to hear that the pace of play and course conditions were excellent for your round. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again for another round!

"Still one of the best courses in the area, but..."

OhioKip's avatar
Ohio Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

This has one of the best courses in the area without a doubt, the previous reviews speak for that. It has the feel you would expect from any modern country club. The course layout is excellent, Brian Huntley has built many of the best courses in the area.

However; this visit to the course a few things had changed from my previous visits. The first few have nothing to do with the course, but the experience. This is a little issue, but previously the staff would meet you at your car and get your bag on a cart right away. Perhaps this is connected to the first, but there was no starter anywhere to be found when we played, there was approximately 20 players on or around the putting green and the entire first hole was open. We got out as a twosome and quickly caught the foursome in front of us, by the fourth hole, we could see the two groups behind us waiting on most shots. Next, the range was not open, not the end of the world, but this is one of the things that sets Shale Creek apart from other courses in the area. My last complaint was it was swampy,compared to the other times I have played this course. It has always been one of the driest course around, I only mention it for that reason.

All of these things could possibly be resolved by the time the season gets in full swing, but I wanted anyone looking to make the trip from Cleveland or Akron to know what to expect. And I cannot wait to play here in June and July.

Response from Shale Creek on 04/13/2017:

"OhioKip" thank you for the detailed review. We regret to hear that the pace of play, and experience provided was not ideal for your round. We will address this issue at the course and fix things accordingly. However, we are happy to hear that you think we have one of the best courses in the area! We look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.

"Best course in Medina"

Lamarzipan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/04/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Excellent course in Medina, OH. One of the few course in the area that has put a lot of money into almost perfect fairways. Hitting off of them is smooth and divots very well. Layout is very interesting. Lots of Reward/Risk holes. Lots of tee options as well.

Response from Shale Creek Golf Club on 06/05/2017:

"Lamarzipan" thank you for the 5 star review! We love hearing that you enjoy playing our course. We hope to see you again soon!

Jimmy7451728's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017

One of the nicer public courses in the Cleveland area. Very good par 5's. Front nine is a great layout, the first 5 holes on the back are crammed into a separate piece of property. Regardless I would highly recommend this course.

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 04/07/2017:

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and nice course conditions! Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.

"Expectations Exceeded"

nocryingingolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/12/2016

I had been making it a point to play Shale Creek for over a year and finally decided to take advantage of a Hot Deal.......

The range was closed but I understood as to the reasons why......

Carts have on board GPS/Scoring and help you navigate the course, which is helpful to someone playing here for the first time....

Course was in excellent condition from tee box to green and with the exception of a couple holes where there are a few extra trees, the leaves were raked and/or vacuumed and not an issue for shots that didn't find the fairway.....

I liked the subtle elevation changes and the layout is superb, as no two holes play the same (regardless of what set of tees you choose to play from)....

Greens were consistent and in very good shape with regards to keeping line and pace, which is fairly rare for courses in NE Ohio come mid-November......

The Staff is about as inviting, helpful and accommodating as one could hope for, and all whom I met made an effort to insure my round/visit was a memorable one......

If you've procrastinated about playing Shale Creek (for whatever reason), I highly recommend you make time to book an 18 hole round.....

I can say with confidence that you will find your day to be as memorable and enjoyable as mine was, and you will find it difficult to find disappointment in anything associated with your visit.....

I cannot wait to play here again (and often) in 2017......

Response from Shale Creek on 11/29/2016:

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience playing at Shale Creek! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time. We look forward to seeing you as well in 2017!

"Good course if the price is right...."

David1087946's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Love this place. Great facilities, GPS on the carts, run well. Interesting holes which you can play long or short based on varied tees.

What's not to like? $65+ on the weekends and not too many discounted rates. Definitely work the drive from Cleveland if you can score a hot deal or find rates knocked down a bit. I still think it may be worth it at $65 for most, I just hate paying that much for a round of golf unless it is at a premier course.

Response from Shale Creek on 10/24/2016:

Thank you for the 5 star review! We hope to see you again soon!

"Green's are in really good condition"

sdschade's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2016

The GPS was not working.

I caught up to a 5 some that was holding up

2 twosomes in front of me.

Some of the ball wash stations did not have

Water, or some of them smelled.

Other than that I enjoy playing here.

Response from Shale Creek on 10/24/2016:

We are sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations this time. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!