Shale Creek Golf Club

Gift this Course
  • 5420 Wolfe Rd, Medina, OH 44256
  • www.shalecreekgolfclubggp.com

Year built: 2006
Architect(s): Brian Huntley (2006)
Type: Public
Greens: Bent Grass
Fairways: Bent Grass

Dress code: Collared shirt required

Tees | Layout

Green (W) 71 5043 yards 68.8 118

Average Rating 4.5 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge locals   Challenges include bunkers water hazards forced carries   Great for drinks dinner 19th hole scenic views

"Links style course in mid-season form"

KOOPER7777's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

The nicest course I played this year. Greens are fast and true. Fairways are cut perfect. Rough is pretty thick. Most of the sandtraps were groomed but a little on the hard side. Costs a little more than I usually like to pay but you definitely get what you pay for.

Kenneth9616488's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/23/2017

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 04/25/2017:

"Kenneth9616488" thank you for the 5 star review! We are ecstatic to see that, overall, you had an excellent round with us! We look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.

uQUWZ6663QU's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 04/19/2017:

We are happy to see that you enjoyed your round with us overall. We are glad to see the greens were in great shape as well. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon for another round!

"Great course"

Rstiggy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

Top notch public course. Does not get any better than this one fellas. Played on Easter alone, clubhouse guy was extremely friendly to me went and grabbed me a diet coke because brunch was taking place.

Course is outstanding, greens are slick, wind is a factor. Better be on your game here when the wind kicks up or it'll be a long day

Top top notch

Response from Shale Creek Golf Club on 04/24/2017:

Hey Ryan, thank you for the feedback and five star rating! We appreciate your support and are happy to hear you enjoyed the staff friendliness, course layout, and course conditions! We look forward to having you back again here at Shale Creek Golf Club, have a great day!

"First Time"

Tsmithjr9's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

First time playing this course, but I have played most of Huntley's other courses in the area. First when you get there they come out and load the bag for you and bottles of water are in the cart waiting. Nothing I've seen at any other public course in the area. Great first impression. The course was in fantastic shape, some low spots were soft, but it's expected in April. There are lots of traps, lakes, and creeks, but the wind is the real trouble here. This is a links style course and I can't compare it to anything else in the area.

The greens were soft and held well, but they were slower than expected, but again April. For all the undulation they didn't break very much. I'll be nice and say that some of the pins...were a bit unfair on some of the holes, maybe too much Augusta for the greenskeeper?

My group caught another 4-some on 7 and that slowed us down, but we jumped them at the turn and last I saw they were 3 holes behind us, so maybe our 4 hours is not to be expected all the time. Overall this was a great morning, a great course both condition and layout and I will definitely be back to play again!

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 04/17/2017:

"Tsmithjr9" thank you for the 5 star review! We are happy to hear that the pace of play and course conditions were excellent for your round. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you again for another round!

"Still one of the best courses in the area, but..."

OhioKip's avatar
Ohio Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

This has one of the best courses in the area without a doubt, the previous reviews speak for that. It has the feel you would expect from any modern country club. The course layout is excellent, Brian Huntley has built many of the best courses in the area.

However; this visit to the course a few things had changed from my previous visits. The first few have nothing to do with the course, but the experience. This is a little issue, but previously the staff would meet you at your car and get your bag on a cart right away. Perhaps this is connected to the first, but there was no starter anywhere to be found when we played, there was approximately 20 players on or around the putting green and the entire first hole was open. We got out as a twosome and quickly caught the foursome in front of us, by the fourth hole, we could see the two groups behind us waiting on most shots. Next, the range was not open, not the end of the world, but this is one of the things that sets Shale Creek apart from other courses in the area. My last complaint was it was swampy,compared to the other times I have played this course. It has always been one of the driest course around, I only mention it for that reason.

All of these things could possibly be resolved by the time the season gets in full swing, but I wanted anyone looking to make the trip from Cleveland or Akron to know what to expect. And I cannot wait to play here in June and July.

Response from Shale Creek on 04/13/2017:

"OhioKip" thank you for the detailed review. We regret to hear that the pace of play, and experience provided was not ideal for your round. We will address this issue at the course and fix things accordingly. However, we are happy to hear that you think we have one of the best courses in the area! We look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.

Jimmy7451728's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017

One of the nicer public courses in the Cleveland area. Very good par 5's. Front nine is a great layout, the first 5 holes on the back are crammed into a separate piece of property. Regardless I would highly recommend this course.

Response from Shale Creek Tee Times on 04/07/2017:

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our course layout and nice course conditions! Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon for another round.

"Expectations Exceeded"

nocryingingolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/12/2016

I had been making it a point to play Shale Creek for over a year and finally decided to take advantage of a Hot Deal.......

The range was closed but I understood as to the reasons why......

Carts have on board GPS/Scoring and help you navigate the course, which is helpful to someone playing here for the first time....

Course was in excellent condition from tee box to green and with the exception of a couple holes where there are a few extra trees, the leaves were raked and/or vacuumed and not an issue for shots that didn't find the fairway.....

I liked the subtle elevation changes and the layout is superb, as no two holes play the same (regardless of what set of tees you choose to play from)....

Greens were consistent and in very good shape with regards to keeping line and pace, which is fairly rare for courses in NE Ohio come mid-November......

The Staff is about as inviting, helpful and accommodating as one could hope for, and all whom I met made an effort to insure my round/visit was a memorable one......

If you've procrastinated about playing Shale Creek (for whatever reason), I highly recommend you make time to book an 18 hole round.....

I can say with confidence that you will find your day to be as memorable and enjoyable as mine was, and you will find it difficult to find disappointment in anything associated with your visit.....

I cannot wait to play here again (and often) in 2017......

Response from Shale Creek on 11/29/2016:

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your experience playing at Shale Creek! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful time. We look forward to seeing you as well in 2017!

"Good course if the price is right...."

David1087946's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Love this place. Great facilities, GPS on the carts, run well. Interesting holes which you can play long or short based on varied tees.

What's not to like? $65+ on the weekends and not too many discounted rates. Definitely work the drive from Cleveland if you can score a hot deal or find rates knocked down a bit. I still think it may be worth it at $65 for most, I just hate paying that much for a round of golf unless it is at a premier course.

Response from Shale Creek on 10/24/2016:

Thank you for the 5 star review! We hope to see you again soon!

"Green's are in really good condition"

sdschade's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2016

The GPS was not working.

I caught up to a 5 some that was holding up

2 twosomes in front of me.

Some of the ball wash stations did not have

Water, or some of them smelled.

Other than that I enjoy playing here.

Response from Shale Creek on 10/24/2016:

We are sorry to hear that we did not exceed your expectations this time. We hope you will come back and see us again soon!

"I love playing this course, I try to play it at least once a year."

BILLHOHMAN's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2016

Great conditions, greens rolled nice and held well, overall experience is always great!

Response from Shale Creek on 10/10/2016:

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy playing when in town! We look forward to seeing you next time!

"This course is in great shape; layout is fun!"

Jeffery7421065's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2016

The course was in great shape, range balls were complimentory, and the people were pleasant.

Response from Shale Creek on 10/10/2016:

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time! We hope to see you back soon!

"Great Course"

ttubbs's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2016

Pace was pretty slow (almost 5 hours) other than that it's my favorite course in the area.

Commented on 09/07/2016

ttubbs - Thank you for the 4 star rating! We apologize for the pace of play. We hope we will see you again soon!

"Good Course"

Bunk4030's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016

This is the second time I've played here. Last time was a couple years ago. The Course is in very good shape. Greens are in excellent condition. interesting layout and good variety of holes. I would highly recommend this course.

Hi Bunk4030,

We are so happy to hear that you came back for a second round! It's great to hear that you enjoyed the conditions of the course. Thank you for the wonderful recommendation! We hope to have you back again soon!

"Solid course"

hoticeref's avatar
Cleveland Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2016

Shale is a decent layout, and is always in good shape. Hard to find a hot deal or a good price here though. Their regular rates are quite high for our area. To ease the pain of the cost, they do include range balls, and usually the starter gives you a cold bottle of water when you tee off.

The track itself has some very interesting holes. Not alot of elevation changes as it winds through a housing development.

My main complaint here has been more than a few very unpleasant encounters with pro shop staff. They are arrogant at times, and treat you more like a pest than a guest. On course starters and rangers are usually quite nice.

Halfway house is set up nice, and offers a decent menu at the turn. They advertise their grill alot for after round meals, but it's definitely pricey.

Commented on 09/07/2016

hoticeref - Thank you for the 4 star rating! We hope we will see you back again on the course soon!

"Nice layout"

u000002319051's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Course played fairly. I will return. Got this as a 'hot deal,' making it even better.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for playing at Shale Creek. We are thrilled to hear that you plan on returning and look forward to seeing you again!

"Will return"

u000002319051's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Facility was very nice. Everything was in good shape, but would rather have putted on slightly faster greens.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for your review and for choosing Shale Creek. it's great to hear that you enjoyed everything that we have to offer and we look forward to having you back again soon!

"Exceptional Value!!"

smft74104's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2016

Course is in excellent condition and staff provides great service. Be sure to hit the restaurant for a great conversation with the bartender and excellent food!

Hi SMFT74104,

Thank you for choosing Shale Creek! We strive for excellent customer service and are thrilled to hear that you had such a great experience with the staff! We hope to see you again soon!

"Help need water"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2016

Course was in good shape. Greens were slower than usual. It was 95 degrees and no water to be found. At the turn the halfway shack was also out of water and we there were four groups deep on 10 tee box. Only group completely quit and another said they were going to try and play the front again. I really do like the course but with the heat this water issue has to be addressed.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for choosing Shale Creek. We are sorry to hear that you your experience was not up to par. Please email us at AmyTeeTimes@yahoo.com if you would like to further discuss your round. We hope to hear from you soon.

"Shale Creek"

u000006203070's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Greens were a little shaggy probably due to the very hot weather. This is a links style course which may or may not be to your taste. Lots of tee options allow you to configure the course to the quality of your foursome.

Commented on 08/09/2016

Thank you for your review and for playing at Shale Creek. We hope to have you back again soon!