The Links At Lighthouse Sound

GPS: Yes

Dress code: No Denim, Collared Shirt Required

Location is worth the drive convenient to the city near local attractions   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a bucket list/top 100 pick   Challenges include water hazards forced carries bunkers   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Bad experience"

picgolfer's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2016

Had a bad experience playing this course. At bag drop had to unload my car since no employee was in sight. Tee'd off 20 minutes after scheduled start. Pace of play was ridiculously slow. Called the pro shop on two different occasions to report slow play. Rangers came out and apologized profusely but did nothing to move groups along. The single who played with us quit after 9. Our group quit after 13 after 4+ hours of hit and WAIT golf. No ranger was seen on back 9 in the afternoon. Unacceptable for a highly touted facility. The front 7 has nice views of the bay and ocean city and is in decent shape but the back which is wooded is in pedestrian shape with irregular rough, crab grass on tee boxes, and bald spots near the greens. At $139 fee, this golf course is no bargain. It is over valued and under conditioned. Will not play here again. Do not recommend.

"The Tale of Two Courses"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I played on September 16th, 2017 with a group of golf buddies as part of our annual outing. We were excited to play this course, as it is widely touted to be the best course in Ocean City and one of the top ranked in the country.

We ended up with a strange feeling after playing this course. The first seven holes and holes 17 and 18 are links style and wind-swept and the remaining holes are wooded or parkland style. The links style holes are in great shape - tee box to fairways to greens. However, the rest of the holes are in terrible shape - bald patches all over the fairways and bang in the middle, hard pan areas around the greens making it impossible for an average amateur golfer to chip or pitch, beaten up greens and poorly maintained bunkers.

We did not pay full rates as this part of an overall package. But, I understand that the regular prime time rate is $199 for a round. Its simply baffling how they cannot keep the course in better shape through the season.

Don't be fooled with the standard answers from some of the over rated Ocean City courses this year that it had to do with the unusually hot summer, lots of rains, blah blah blah....We played a couple of other courses in the same area, one of them a public course and they were in fantastic shape. These courses experienced the same weather. And we are expected to believe that the Number 1 course in Ocean City could not keep up with this weather, and that too for 9 holes out of the 18.

Overall the course is challenging, and the layout requires proper club selection and prudent shot making decisions. The wind is a huge factor. Especially the par 5, where we had to go up two clubs to combat the winds from the bay. The views of the links style holes are spectacular thanks to the vegetation and stunning views of the bay.

We will definitely not be going back to play this course.

"Favorite in OC, Maryland"

MasterTigerWoods's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Excellent weather

I think the bay views are stunning and the layout is enjoyable with some genuine links-thrills along the way. Love the shared greens and when surrounding neighborhoods and waterfront are incorporated. The front 9 is as good as it gets in the OC area. I finished up once on 18 as a wedding reception was hosted at the clubhouse. I bogeyed while a cellist played in a nearby gazebo. It was magical. It's expensive in the mornings, but a good bargain in the later afternoon.

"Masters Weekend"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

What golf enthusiast will forget this weekend,, ? Not me, for 3 reasons now. My wedding anniversary, Masters Weekend and The Links at Lighthouse Sound.

Rainig heavy when I got there so I sat in the car for a bit I allow about an hour for checking in and hitting a few balls with each club etc,, The Starters all of the staff where complete Gentlemen,, from the counter in the pro shop the cart return. I was given the run down of the course ( condensed version ) Then begin, 1st hole was par,, We where under cart path only due to the weather so pace of play was slow ( i was playing solo ) but I got my exercise in . Alittle confusion on hole 3 until I looked in the yardage book. These greens are SO fast and true. The views of the Bay and marshland are almost overwhelming. Keep in mind i'm racing the weather here,, Its supposed to beging to get high winds as the day goes on and rain,, i'll beat like always. If you want water hazards this is the place to go almost everything here is waterview very few aren't. Since the cold weather was in play I added a club to each shot , I did well overall, I did'nt use my driver much since the wind was mostly in my favor, my 3 wood was fine into the wind keeping the shot low. Hail began coming down,,, I posted 2 pictures,, the longest bridge in America sunshine with a puffy cloud,, headed to the 9th hole to the hail covered green at the 11th the weather turned here in minutes then sunshine and almost took off my coat then another blitz of hail on the 14th. Fortunately the carts where covered keeping me dry. on 17 the thunder began,, holy smokes I tucked in close to a house for a bit and lit a cigar about 15 minutes I sat still looking at the GPS in the cart to see if they are calling players in and looking at my phone weather radar. A marshall came up on me at 17th tee box and we chatted a bit as the sky cleared even though the hail was still on the fairways and greens he left I hit par,, 18th was good as well got there in 3 , 3 putted through the remaining hail on the green. 88 overall score. The weather seemed to match what happened at The Masters

Stay in the fairways out of the bunkers and below the pin.

"AWESOME!"

DeanV's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/25/2016

Played twice in really bad weather, staff looked at me like I was crazy both times. Needless to say I had the course to myself. Even with the rain and high winds I loved the experience, reminded me of a decent day in Scotland.

Course was in good shape, bent fairways and greens with my only complaint being the Poa that's quite prevalent on the greens. Course layout in my opinion was great and challenging. Water in play on numerous holes, especially marsh areas which made the course visually stunning. Not a bad hole on the course. If your in the Ocean City area this is a must play!

"Wow"

guts131's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/19/2015

Outstanding golf course. In my top 10. Very fast and true greens. Must play

"Too Slow!"

lfajaa's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

This is the 2nd time we played this course. I would like to play when they don't over book. We did not even get to finish we made it to the 15th hole after almost 5 hrs.. There were guys ahead of us playing with a radio blasting, smoking cigar's, and drinking. We are there play golf, not party. Not saying it was just this group, but it was very slow playing. We even asked the starter if we would get it in since we started later. He told us we should get it in, no problem. For the amount you pay to play it is not worth it, if you can't even finish. NEVER AGAIN even if there was no charge.

"Great round of golf"

JoeMagnolia's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in great condition considering they had just aeriated the course. The pace was a little slow but we enjoyed the round and will return again soon.

"Great views"

Robert2320410's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Located on the shore of the bay, the course offers wonderful views of the bay shoreline and Ocean City skyline. The course is challenging and of great design. Our only compliant was that the course was just airified and it was cart path only. It's a long walk when it a cart path only!! Otherwise it's a must play course.

"Not what I expected"

Austin4829185's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2015

very disappointed in tee boxes and greens. Greens were marked up pretty bad and looked like they hadn't been cut for a couple days.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great course"

jkelley005's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2015

My favorite course at the beach. Fast yet receptive greens, challenging yet fair layout and beautiful views wherever you look.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Great course .... beautiful"

Tedmarconi's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2015

First time playing .. we loved it ... Georgeous 18th hole !!

"Great layout"

markvillee's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2015

Great layout with fast greens and many risk/reward options on holes.

"Beautiful course"

Lee8848627's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2015

Loved this course...had my country club feel. Beautiful facilities greens were perfect! Def challanging holes love the drive over bridge longest golf bridge in the east. Will do go back

"Top course in area"

William6682371's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2015

I have played all over the world. This is one of the best layouts I have ever played, the views are breathtaking . Top notch green keeping, take fantastic care of the course. Excellent driving range and practice facilities. Love the views from the clubhouse and have had good food at the resturant. Only downsides are sometimes the greens get a bit marked up from the quantity of play. Bring your A game and hit the ball left off most tees

"Best at the beach"

gwzkbz's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2015

First class club with friendly staff, beautiful course in excellent conditions. Great value with Golfnow reservation.

"Views are Fantastic"

Ricstee's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/19/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

If you are in the Ocean City area and looking to play this is a must play while in the area. Heck, I took a 3.5 hr journey from the burbs of MD early morning to play this top 10 course in MD. This is a Arthur Hills gem of a course and some of the views are the best in the state offering Ocean City as it's backdrop on a few holes. There is a lot of tight landing areas that go over marshland so make sure you are driving the ball well that day. The bugs are atrocious there so ensure you have plenty of bug spray as well! This course is one of my favorites in the state of MD and is almost always in spectacular condition, just make sure the greens haven't been punched.

"The best golfing expierence!"

u443832028's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2015

This course is the most beautiful course I have ever played. Not only that but the service and coopereration of the staff made my epierence nearly perfect!

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Too Slow!"

lfajaa's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather Verified Purchaser

The weather was windy and rain. There seemed to be many golfers out for the conditions. The group that was 2 ahead of ours, was very slow. We had to sit at each hole for at least 10 to 15 min. This messed us up playing. I hope the next time we play it moves a little faster. We would like to play when it's nicer out. We also were suppose to eat after golf. Our wives were driving to meet us. But we were not contacted it was canceled because of a wedding.

"Beautiful course great staff"

jkelly1757's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/22/2015

First time playig this course and had a great time. Played with two extremely nice club members who were friendly and helped me find my way through this difficult course.