Providence Golf Club

• 1518 Clubhouse Blvd, Davenport, FL 33837
  • www.providence-golf.com

Year built: 2007
Architect(s): Mike Dasher (2007)
Type: Semi-Private
Style: Parkland
Greens: Tifdwarf Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Walking allowed: Yes, members only
Dress code: Proper attire is required.

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs near local attractions   Great for locals wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers   Challenges include water hazards bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining brunch

"Very good course"

Johnbogan's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/13/2017

Played first thing Sunday morning I was the first out .It looked like ideas busy behind me but as no one was infringing of me I got round very quickly.The course is excellent and quite challenging water plays a part on a few holes.The greens are excellent and run true.All in all the course is great value for money and must be one of the best around

Response from Providence on 08/16/2017:

Hello Johnbogan, thank you for the 5 star review! We are glad you had a great experience at Providence Golf Club! Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Little bit of everything."

Pharaoh64's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/10/2017

Played in 2 1/2 hours without rushing. Early tee time. Love the layout, a little bit of everything. Had a deer watch me putt from about thirty feet away. Many holes free from housing.

Response from Providence on 08/16/2017:

Hello Pharaoh64, thank you for the 4 star review! We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play! Thank you for playing Providence Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon.

"Great Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Very scenic and playable course. Greens were the best. Plenty of wildlife to view. Great Value. Would recommend this course to anyone and I will play again next visit.

Response from Providence on 08/17/2017:

Hello, thank you for the 4 star review! We are glad you enjoyed our course conditions and layout! Thank you for playing Providence Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon.

"Excellent"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

Best summer conditions I have played in Florida. Greens were in great condition. Would definitely play again.

Response from Providence on 08/17/2017:

Hello, thank you for the 5 star review! We are glad you enjoyed our pace of play and well as our course conditions and layout! Thank you for playing Providence Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon.

John9383497's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2017

Response from Providence on 08/17/2017:

Hello John9383497, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course. We are glad you enjoyed our pace of play and found our staff friendly. Thank you for playing Providence Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon!

rgk7751's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Providence on 08/04/2017:

Hello rgk7751, thank you for the 4 star review! We are glad you enjoyed our pace of play and found our staff friendly! Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon at Providence Golf Club.

"Expected better conditions"

Ralph4836682's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

This course was recommended by another golfer. I don't think he had played there lately. The conditions were simply not very good. Several temporary tees, some sod being replaced in several locations, lots of bare spots in the fringe around nearly every green. The greens themselves were not bad, a bit slow, but rolled true. Many holes were cart path only due to soggy condition of the fairways. Driving range was closed (too wet, I guess - wasn't mentioned when I checked in.) Can't recommend it until the conditions improve, particularly around the greens.

Commented on 07/29/2017

We had a tough transition from winter grass to summer. I have a new Superintendent starting, we are being very aggressive to restore the course to the conditions we had just a few months ago. Contact me in a few weeks and be my guest for a round of golf and see the improvements.

Sincerely,

GM

"Please don't let this golf course die..."

gregtillman's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

What a nice layout, in dire need of attention. Very nice community, beautiful clubhouse, nice looking range (closed due to 7 inches of rain the previous two days), but the course has suffered, either from extremes in 2017 Florida weather, but I don't think you can blame it all on the weather. Courses in our home area step up to overcome adverse weather, but Providence shows more neglect than any of the others we played this week. Each hole looks great and challenging standing on the tee, but sparse grass is evident with even some mostly bare fringes around greens. We would like to play the course again sometime, but giving course conditions a "3" at this time was generous. I can't recommend the course in its current condition.

Commented on 07/29/2017

Providence is well on its way to a full recovery it just takes more time than we like. A new Superintendent is on his way and we are aggressively attacking all areas of concern. The greens are in good shape. Call me and be my guest in a few weeks and see the improvements.

GM

"Providence golf course Florida"

hugh7954355's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2017

I have played providence golf course each time I have stayed in Florida and this time played twice

Providence is exactly what you would expect from a Floridian golf course, flat, open fairways and loads of water everywhere

The course is going through some maintenance and the back end looks a bit scruffy but I'm sure will be an improvement when finished

Fairways and tee boxes are not pristine and considering that the temp is over 100 degrees each day you will have to make some allowances

The greens were in good condition running true but slightly slower than you would expect

If its wildlife you are after then for me providence is the place to see it, we say raccoons, armadillo, hawks, gators, possum and the cormorant type birds

Course is in good condition for the time of year and played well, due to the rain a few areas where it was wet but didn't cause any issues

I paid $19 + tax on a hot deal so very good value for money

I would recommend playing this course and I would play again

I was not paid or received anything for making this review

Response from Providence on 08/04/2017:

Hello hugh7954355, thank you for the 4 star review! We are glad you had a great experience at Providence Golf Club! Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"The management Staff is my only Complaint"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/14/2017

So I have had a few problems with the management here. Yesterday I even overheard the younger manager openly talking bad about customers....what does he say when you leave the room?

The other issue I once had involved a rain check. I had a $16 dollar rain check and used it. I unfortunately got rained out again after 3 holes. I went to get a new rain check and the management told me I couldn't get one because I didn't "pay" for my round. So never use a rain check in the summer I guess??

Great course - concerning management

Commented on 07/18/2017

I apologize for your recent experience, my golf shop person will be contacting you to correct any errors that may of occurred.

Sincerely,

General Manager

"This course has a great design"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/07/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

the fairways and tee boxes are in good shape. some greens are in not to great due to the amount of rain lately. they should come in shape soon.

Numerous ball marks on most greens that golfers don't fix. but thats not the course fault. should have marshall watching for these type golfers. driving range is currently closed unless you hit balls off a mat.

Response from Providence on 08/04/2017:

Hello, thank you for the 4 star review! We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and pace of play! Thank you for playing Providence Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017

Response from Providence on 08/04/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, Providence Golf Club. We are sorry to hear that you had a disappointing playing experience at our club, we value your feedback. We were in a transition period on your date of play and we can say with confidence that you will see a significantly better product in a few weeks time. Thank you for playing our course and we hope to earn your business again!

"sad to see this course in this condition"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2017

The course is in terrible shape

I know it is aerated , we rang and were told the greens were a little bumpy in places and 5 holes were cat path only....but the green were really awful , so bad that really there was little point in putting it made the game a farce. The greens will take a long time to recover at least a month i would say. Fairways too were poor and in placed worse than that.

What annoyed me even more was that when I call they should have said the greens are really in bad shape and also 7 of the holes were played off the ladies tees.....including a 60 yard par 3.

Its a pity as I really like this place normally...but i have never seen it in a condition like this. Well I hope in a couple of months it might have recovered.

Course Difficulty:  Extremely Easy

Commented on 07/03/2017

I understand your frustration and we have discounted our golf rates accordingly. We are in a tough transition season from the heavy winter over-seeded areas that have choked out the summer Bermuda grass. We had a greens aerification last week and this week we are doing all the tees, fairways and any other areas in need. Then also this week a bulk application of fertilizer and then next week laying new sod down in the worst areas. I can say with confidence that we will have a completely different looking product in two to three weeks. Hope to see you then

"Disappointing"

u319023531's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/30/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

While there was a aeration warning but no details of the extent and on arrival notice on carts to keep to cart paths on 5 holes there was no warning that half of the tees had been closed and moved to temporary ones which were very forward. This was on some of the "better" holes and detracted very much from the playing experience. A very disappointing day and whilst I would recommend playing the course in the future I could not recommended playing it any time now. Club sent a booking confirmation but did not mention the extent of the work being undertaken or the amount of disruption.

Response from Providence on 07/14/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, Providence Golf Club. We are sorry to hear that you had a disappointing playing experience at our club, we value your feedback. Because we are in a transition period, we are running a July Maintenance Special with free replays for a heavily discounted rate. We can say with confidence that you will see a significantly better product in a few weeks time. Thank you for playing our course and we hope to earn your business again!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/20/2017

Response from Providence on 08/04/2017:

Hello, thank you for the 4 star review! We are glad you enjoyed our course layout and found our staff friendly! Thank you for playing Providence Golf Club and we hope to see you again soon.

"Not as good as I remembered it......."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Played Providence in November 2016 and couldn't say enough good things about it. A great golf course in fantastic condition. Enjoyed it so much that went back end of June 2017 and can't believe how much the course has deteriorated. The greens were slow with large areas where there was no grass at all on them at all. Tees were in really poor condition and fairways were not much better - what has happened Providence ? You had a gem don't let it rot away !!!!

krecek1960's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/03/2017

Response from Providence on 07/10/2017:

Hello krecek1960, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, Providence Golf Club. Thank you for the 5 star review, we are glad you had a wonderful golf experience at our course! Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Great Value"

jpino0304's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/29/2017

The course was in good shape considering how dry it's been. Greens roll ok, fairways are good. The overall layout is fun.

Response from Providence on 07/10/2017:

Hello jpino0304, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, Providence Golf Club. Thank you for the 4 star review, we are glad you enjoyed the course layout and the playing conditions! Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.

"Hidden gem"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

This course was just a bit further than the normal,however, it was worth it.

Nice layout, greens lovely, fairways lovely. Better knowing this course,a thinking course.

I always askmyself, would I play here again, answer YES

Response from Providence on 07/11/2017:

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our course, Providence Golf Club. Thank you for the four star review, we are happy to hear you enjoyed the course conditions and found our staff friendly! Thank you for playing Providence and we hope to see you again soon.

Trooper1176's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Response from Providence on 07/11/2017:

Hello Trooper1176, thank you for taking the time to write a review about our golf course, Providence Golf Club. Thank you for the 4 star review, we are glad you enjoyed the course layout and pace of play! Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon.