French Lick Resort - The Pete Dye Course

Practice hole: Yes

"Blown away"

dooder's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017

They treat you like a king from the moment you pull up. Forecaddies pair with you on the practice facility, cleaning you clubs, which I've never seen at a public facility. Course is spectacular, the views are breathtaking. The clubhouse is small but has everything you need and the food was great. Overall a memorable destination.

"Sublime morning on an infamous test"

BrandonTuckerGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/25/2017

The last time I was in French Lick, just prior to the Dye Course opening, a Hurricane blew through, wrecking havoc on this part of the Midwest just prior to the Valhalla Ryder Cup. So I suppose I was due for some idyllic weather this time around. That's just what we got, and our first-off tee time on the Dye Course in late-April blessed us with an incredible morning sunrise.

Well known as one of resort golf's toughest rounds, the Dye Course was really about as "gettable" of conditions as we'll ever get (I'm told it can blow up here - but we had no wind). And despite a few swing gags (Dye's always had my number off the tee) I was able to finish my round pretty strong - enough to leave with a few good memories of my game and not just good photos. Frankly, this is a distracting place to play because so many greens and tees have incredible backdrops. The course actually reminds me of Castle Stuart in that regard, so many green sites have infinity backdrops or incredible vantage points. We could have played in under 3 hours if it weren't for all of our picture-taking.

I don't love some of Pete Dye's stuff just because I prefer the shaping of holes to be a little more mellow. (I know, if he woke up one day with my career he'd jump out a window). But you can't argue with the course he managed to build on this elevated and severe site. He's always been a genius in terms of golf course construction, and this one's up there with any other in the Midwest. It's certainly fitting that a Dye design will be on some of Indiana's highest ground. The Hoosier-born genius certainly deserves a lofty place in this state and this game for many years to come.

Commented on 05/15/2017

What are some of your personal Dye favorites?

rjoyce33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2016

"Amazing Course"

u00000204780's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/07/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I have been playing golf for over 50 years, and this course is probably the most beautiful track I have ever played. It is not cheap and a forecaddy is required, but it is worth every penny. The views are spectacular, the layout is unlike anything I have played and the conditioning of the course is second to none. It is a links course, so hazards are innumerable bunkers, narrow fairways, thick rough and areas of wild fescue and yarrow. The elevation changes are constant and the views are spectacular. The course features the second highest elevation in the state of Indiana.

The staff is incredibly friendly and our caddy was friendly and invaluable, especially in determining the line for tee shots. Stop for a bite to eat at the mansion on the outdoor patio and watch all the action on the first five holes from this lofty perch.

If you go with the stay and play package, choose the West Baden hotel. The atrium is awe inspiring, the spa and pool are first rate and the restaurants serve great food at reasonable prices. You can ride the shuttle or the tram over to the old hotel and casino.

Socalsam's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016

"Unbelievable"

xkyleclark3's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2016

A Picture is worth a thousand words. Just take a look at the Pete Dye Course and you will see why. One of the most scenic courses you will ever play. Plenty of elevation change that will require some creativity and shot making. This is hands down one of the best golf resorts in the country. Well worth looking into for your next buddies trip !!

todd027's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2016

"Breathtaking"

u712089856's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2016

Course played amazing and the views were absolutely breathtaking. Can't wait to come back

"Bucket List - Highly Recommended"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016

This course was an absolute beauty. Meticulously designed and expertly manicured. One of the best I have ever played. Highly Recommended.

"Amazing Course All Around"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2016

This course was in great shape and I loved the layout. 100% recommend.

"A midwest dream"

Bronco623's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016

I had the privilege to play the Pete Dye Course at French Lick on a chamber of commerce day this summer. The course took my breath away with the course character, scenic views and conditions. To be honest, I wasn't expecting this with my first round in the state of Indiana. If you're in the area, French Lick is worth the trip and the $ for a round that you'll remember for a long time, regardless of how you play.

Bigbluenation's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2016

I'm not sure if any course in the Midwest should cost more than $150-200 but it was a pretty spectacular round. It's hard to believe you're ever waiting on another group out here as it feels both expansive and isolating and so quiet. In some ways I liked it more than Whistling Straits, even though my score on both were a good 10-15 shots higher than my hcp. Fun weekend in the land of Larry Legend

"Very difficult, but most memorable"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Yes, the Pete Dye Course at French Lick Resort is very difficult and expensive to play, but after playing it three times, I'm starting to realize just how good this golf course is. What I found out this time around is that it really does make a difference which tees you play. In my group we had a higher handicap player, two single digits and a woman, and everyone of us had a good time. Was it tough? You bet, but playing it at the right yardage gave us a chance to post a respectable score. Yes, you have to hit the fairways out here, and you have to hit the right parts of them, otherwise the ball drifts into the rough. And once you find the rough, par is going to be difficult. Even from the fairways, the small targets on greens require precision, but as long as you set your scoring expectations lower than you would on a normal course, the successes here are extremely rewarding. It's also a course where you can remember every hole, every shot, and did I mention how stunning it is? No doubt, the Dye Course at French Lick is one of the most breathtaking courses in America, and it's perfectly maintained.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2016

Indiana golf's favorite son Pete Dye in the home of Larry legend. Set on the highest point in the state it's a match made in heaven. That said I just liked the more traditional layout of the Ross. When I play courses I ask myself if I'd play it every day. This would be a tough loop. But I'm glad I saw it as it's clearly the most spectacular setting in this part of the Midwest.

LuxuryFred's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/05/2016

They seem to keep the price high here because they don't want the course to be busy. It's an awesome place, but I can't think of another course in the state outside French Lick that even costs $100. The way I see it, you can burn through $300 on the tables in an evening so just don't gamble and play golf instead. If you don't want to pay it, it's fine just play the Ross which is really good itself.

"Breathtakingly Beautiful"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2016
First time playing Perfect weather

The course couldn't be more beautiful! This course was on my bucket list to play as I'd heard wonderful things about it. I'm glad I made the trip as the views were stunning and the course was in perfect shape. As noted below in other reviews, playing the correct tees will make your day even more enjoyable. The course is challenging but straightforward with little "tricks". I appreciate that from a design standpoint.

"Worth the trip and then some"

GolfFan33's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Fair weather

This golf course was exceptional on every level. A Dye classic that had an unbelievable look and feel. The green complexes varied with hole length with a great example being the 10th hole. A fairly short par 4 but with a tiny green that requires a precision approach or an extremely difficult up and down.

I could not more strongly recommend this golf experience, and the two days of golf at the Dye and the Ross are a must play vacation for any golf traveler.

Not to mention that the resort is fantastic and has so much character to it. Mix in some great meals, a little gambling, and maybe some spa enhancements for a vacation to remember.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Beautiful Course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2013
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Its breathtaking to see the surrounding areas from atop this course. Even more amazing that Pete Dye took the challenge that many said no to. You wont regret playing this especially of you are looking to cross of "bucket list" courses.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent