The Crossings At Carlsbad

• 5800 The Crossings Dr, Carlsbad, CA 92008-4717, United States
  • www.thecrossingsatcarlsbad.com

Year built: 2007
Architect(s): Greg Nash (2007)
Type: Public

GPS: Yes

Dress code: Shirts must have some type of collar or moc turtleneck, Denim, jeans of any color are NOT allowed
Credit cards accepted: Major credit cards are accepted.

Average Rating 4.1 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views locals   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries undulating greens   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

golfer5450's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/07/2017

"Fun course"

Steve8073067's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

Lots of elevation and canyons. Not easy but pretty fair. Fog eventually burned off and weather was great. Right next to LegoLand, Very friendly staff.

"Great Course"

td5780's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017

Played this course for the second time while on vacation with my son. Abundant rains this spring have improved conditions measurably since we last played here in '15. Course was in great shape and a real value with the GolfNow Hot Deal. We enjoy this interesting and challenging track and have made it one our must play courses when in San Diego. The gentleman behind the counter in the pro shop checking us in was exceptionally friendly and welcoming. Pace of play was excellent - we never waited. The elevation changes on several holes, especially on the back nine provide for scenic views and thought provoking club selection. A very enjoyable course to play.

adachikun's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/01/2017

"Challenging"

saschawagner71's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2017

We teed off 25 minutes late. Due to an overbooking issue there were three extra groups ahead of us. I thought this was going to be a problem but the pace of play turned out fine. There were several Marshalls on the course keeping things going. The place is well managed.

Course was in good shape, very challenging layout, lots of tee balls over a canyon, tons of elevation change. Very scenic. Amenities are very nice, clubhouse, restaurant, carts with GPS, friendly staff, Good practice facility.

$100 green fee is pricey but worth it in my opinion for a course of this caliber. What I did not like was the cost of concessions. $8 for a can of beer, and $1 for a glass of ice water. I don't think I've ever had to pay for water or ice on a course anywhere. For $100 most other places include at least a small bucket of range balls. Not here though.

Overall a good experience and I would play here again.

"One of My Favorite Courses in San Diego"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017

I live in SD and I love this course. It is challenging and I would not recommend it to novice golfers. I shoot in the low 80's on an average difficulty course and I typically shoot in the mid to high 80's here. I have played this course numerous times and I always have a good time. The course layout is so interesting and no two holes are alike. There is a LOT of elevation change throughout the course.

The views of the surrounding area and ocean are great. While this course does not boarder the coast, it is probably only 2 miles inland so it is a perfect choice for the summer, when most inland course are uncomfortably hot. Also, there tends to be wind in the late afternoon that will make club selection even more difficult for shots with elevation change.

The course features many elevated tees, lots of bunkers, and some pretty water hazards. I should note that you cannot walk this course. There is a lot of distance between holes and some crazy hill climbs. I heard that the cart path measures about 6 miles.

One cool feature of this course is that prop planes and corporate jets take off from a nearby runway. It adds visual interest to the experience especially when your golf game is not worth watching.

I could go on and on about this course but let me just say this: It is one of the best courses and values in the area if you are a SD or Carlsbad resident. It is simply one of the best city/municipal courses in So Cal. I consider playing this course any time I can find a tee time for less than $90. At $80 or less the value is super good.

"Challenging and great value"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/02/2017

I've played The Crossings a few times now, and each time is like the first...the big multi-tier greens set-up for different hole challenges. The staff is great. Will be back again.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/29/2017

"Cool Roller coaste"

slew0302's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2017

I've played some mountain courses, but nothing compares with the stunning elevation changes here. Many of the holes bridge deep chasms, and the lowest part of the back nine must be 300 ft below the clubhouse. Many holes had fairways 50-80 feet blow the level of the tee. The fairways were decent, the poa annua greens rolled true. It was a ball. I'm glad we were playing with a couple who knew the course well, as some tee shots are blind. The rough are not punitive.

Interesting backstory: The city of Carlsbad built the course, and by the time it was finished, the cost had grown from around $15 million to somewhere in the neighborhood of $70 million. $60 on GolfNow was an excellent value. We started at noon on a weekday and finished before 4:30. The friendly greeter told us that our cart had traveled seven miles. Walking the course is out of the question. The restaurant was excellent.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

"hidden jewel"

Daraius64's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/13/2017

This course was a great course to play, the holes were challenging but not discouraging. The views were spectacular

"One of the nicest I've played!"

Howard7053956's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/09/2017

Beautiful layout, challenging, well kept and great value!

"Great Day Despite Pace and Aeration"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/08/2017

This is a great course. The views are outstanding and the course winds its way through canyons providing many different shots and changes in elevation. The two negatives were the nearly 5:30 hour round and the aerated greens. The aeration did provide a serious discount on the greens fees which typically double the rate I paid. Staff were pleasant and courteous, carts were new and the property was very well maintained.

Despite the pace, I would certainly return.

"Nice to play there again after a bit of time since"

jonmon's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

I took advantage of the Sunday $49 to play the course again. It so happened the greens had just been punched, covered with the usual thin layer of sand. I gave that Category an Fair rating, but I'm sure the course conditions are Good or Excellent any other time.

On the 10th, I strongly suggest a low, straight shot about 150 to 175 yards, akin to playing a shot through the trees. I will never again hit my standard 175 yard shot on that hole.

Enjoyed the round nonetheless.

"Interesting Course, Great Views"

Jimgre's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/01/2017

Played it when it was not at its best but it was still a good experience. Greens had just been aerated and the course had 3" of rain on it 24 hours before we teed off. The rain had erode the bunkers and course workers were beginning to restore them as we played. Fairways were soggy when we started and it was cartpaths only when we started but they relaxed it to 90 degrees later.

Pace of play was slow that day at 5 plus hours and conversations with the PAs indicated that there were 4 holes open about 4 groups in front of us but it seemed to stay about the same... too slow for us but just right for the group with the gap in front.

The course has many "environmentally sensitive" areas that run along most fairways, are marked with blue stakes and play as lateral hazards so if you're directionally challenged, as I was that day, bring a couple extra sleeves because ball hawking is discouraged and most of those areas are thick. The good part...absolutely no houses to hit.

It's a course that would be near impossible to walk, even if they let you, as they appeared to have some spatial issues during design that necessitated a full length ride to one of the back nine par fours tees but even without that, the elevation changes would make it tough.

Minor Irritants that can't be changed: constant air traffic takeoffs from the end of the runway at the local municipal airport. Lots of power transmission lines over the course.

Real Good things: The back nine has some great vistas from tees. All staff, from the greeter at the club drop, through the pro shop and players assistants were very friendly and welcoming.

Go play it if you're in the area.

"Slipped since our last time here."

cory94's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/16/2017

The should give carts sooner so seniors don't have to walk down to range and back. The carts should be charged. Both carts in our group ran out of power, one on front nine which thank god it was because it had to push us in three holes. The pace of play on the back nine was atrocious, and the group in front you could smell the booze from our cart as we waited on every hole. The marshals surely could have done a better job. We played here twice before but may not again. I welcome a reply or what good are your surveys.

"Mixed feelings"

Steve3535757's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/12/2017

So to start. The only person in the pro shop for check in was not interested in checking people in. Rather than to talk to a member or friend. This put the normal warm up time to just putting for 10 minutes waiting around 15-20 to pay and get checked in. The GPS is only in a few select carts. Pace of play was behind. We got stuck behind a group that was horrid to watch. The Marshall apologized and kept us behind them. The hut at the turn was almost out of everything. 1 hot dog no ketchup just mayo and relish packets. Now with that behind. The course itself has challenge. I enjoyed the course itself and layout. Some great views. Greens are in decent shape and a lot of elevation change. Personal advice. If you are going to play this course show up really early and pack your own lunch/snacks. Don't expect to be greeted with a smile. Felt like a funeral check in.

"Nice holes, terrible layout"

Matt4799110's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

I play this course 4-5 times a year only because I am a Carlsbad resident and get the resident discount. Even then at $80 on the weekend it seems high - I would never pay the rack rate. My visiting buddy had to pay $99 with the senior discount. Yikes!

Course has some very nicely designed holes, but the layout leaves a lot to be desired. For example, they clearly crammed #8 and #9 into a space that is really only big enough for 1 hole. #8 is a fun little par 4, but #9 is a joke - a par 3 so short that you have to tee off with a sand wedge from the back tees. After finishing #11 you have to drive about 10 minutes to get to the tee box at #12, including the entire length of the hole backwards. Not sure what the designer was thinking on that one, but there had to be a way to avoid doing that.

Pace of play is a big problem on this course - I don't think I've ever finished a round in under 4:30 and I've routinely played much more crowded tracks like Encinitas Ranch under 4 hours. They really need to do something about that. It always stacks up on #4 and then is slow for the rest of the round.

Constant use of mats on the range is disappointing. Grass tees should be open on weekends, especially for the fees they are charging.

Conditions are usually pretty good and the clubhouse facilities are excellent.

Course Layout: Poor

"Not a Walking Course!!"

Golfstatto's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2017

Got a good GN Hot Deal and read some favourable reviews so we thought we'd give The Crossings a try as it wasn't too far from our holiday location. We were met by very friendly bag drop, pro and starter. Cart was included in the fee but no range balls which had to be purchased from the Pro. Range a bit limited and off mats on the day we played but good enough to loosen the muscles.

Starter let us go a bit earlier than our booked time but with it being Super Bowl Sunday afternoon there weren't many other groups around. The 4 some we caught up with let us through as we were only a twosome and from then on there were no other hold ups. One thing about this course is that there are huge distances between each hole and despite not having to wait for other groups, or hunt for any balls it still took the two of us 4 hours to get round and this is purely due to the distances between greens and tees. I imagine if the course is busy POP could be very slow with traffic getting to the 12th possibly impersonating the I5 interstate!

Course had suffered a bit of damage from the recent rains and some of the semi rough was very patchy but the greens played and rolled well and not overly quick which made putting a bit easier than some of the previous course we'd played.

Overall we enjoyed the course, the elevations from some of the tees were spectacular and on a sunny day I expect the views of the Pacific would be great, unfortunately we had a cloudy day and didn't see much in the way of views.would probably play here again if we could get the same rate from GN but the rack rate for non Carlsbad residents seems a bit high.

Swing slow