Bella Collina Golf Club

4.5198000000 4.5 stars from 5 (329)

• 15920 County Road 455 , Montverde, FL 34756, United States
  • (407) 469-4961, (407) 469-4999
  • www.bellacollina.com

Year built: 2008
Architect(s): Nick Faldo (2008)
Type: Private/Resort
Greens: TifDwarf Grass
Fairways: 419 Bermuda Grass

Golf school / academy: Yes - "Bella Golf Academy"

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.

Tees | Layout

Green (W) 72 6021 yards 75.3 136

Average Rating 4.5 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for advanced golfers a weekend splurge wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers undulating greens   Great for drinks patio dining 19th hole scenic views

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/22/2017

"Overpriced and silly layout with no bailout"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/10/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Firstly, I am glad we went "once" because the facility with the Tuscan motif perched up on the bluff is beautiful. Golfers beware though because it's always windy at Bella Collina and lots and lots of sand. The course layout is silly and I think they will need to revise the course to make it more enjoyable. You would definitely not want to be a member here and play it every day and this comes from a member of a hard but fair Country Club. The first hole is a 5 Par that slants dramatically left to right. Silly from the get go. For me, any course where a good shot does not get rewarded is not a great course layout. The starter said, if you hit it in the middle of the fairway, it will roll into the bunker. Maybe if one or two holes are that way to protect the hole, well OK, but there's too many very silly "let's make it impossible to hit a good tee ball" architecture without threading the needle. The rock hard sloping greens are enough protection for a hole much less fairway bunkers right and left to shrink the fairway and greens with collars that fall off quickly so you're hitting up onto a narrow green. For a semi-private membership course, the conditions were only OK. Some of the tee boxes were not mowed, but in fairness the greens were in good shape, but not receptive at all. Rock hard. Probably because the wind dries it out as the day progresses. Finally, the maintenance crew started plugging the rough, but after 3 holes we got ahead of the plugging machine so no issue. All in all, probably a good beautiful site to visit once, if you can get a good deal (well under $100), but I would not come back. The course just isn't enjoyable.

Course Layout: Poor

"Central Florida Gem"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

30 minutes from Orlando and definitely worth the drive. Built in what was an old quarry it provides elevation changes rarely seen in Florida courses. Great green comlexes.

"Tough track"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

This was my third time playing the course over the last six years. It is very difficult mostly because of the terrain. The dramatically sloping fairways are at times unfair when coupled with the elevation changes that don't reveal trouble. When you hit what you believe is the perfect drive but after cresting the hill discover it has rolled forty yards sideways and is in a waste area it is frustrating. This occurs despite my knowing these facts. So why have I returned? The village construct is stunning with stone, fountains, timber framing to say nothing of the panorama including olive trees, pristine landscaping and perfectly groomed clay tennis courts. The visual stimulation of the entire complex is what calls me back.

"Never fails to impress"

Tilly2007's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

From the moment you arrive at the impressive entrance to the time you leave you can't help but to be impressed by the attention to detail that has been put into the amenities and golf course.

Commented on 03/13/2017

We are very happy to hear that your entire experience at Bella Collina was great, as we strive for nothing but the best! We hope that you join us again in the future to experience it all again!

"Great"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/05/2017

Great course. Lightning quick greens and fast and firm playing conditions. Best course in Orlando area. Clubhouse is as nice as any private club.

Commented on 03/13/2017

We thank you for your kind words! We strive to make the golf course in the best shape possible and by your review it looks that we are succeeding at that. We hope you decide to join us again soon!

"Mentally demanding"

wolfgangspreitzer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2017

We had a wonderful, but demanding golfday out there. After a difficult start our game was getting better. The second nine are more playable than the first nine. If you let Faldo do what he wants, that is the result. Sometimes a bit exaggerated!

Commented on 03/13/2017

We thank you for joining us out here at Bella Collina, and are happy to hear that the games became a bit more enjoyable as you got to the back nine. We hope to see you again soon!

scottstacey's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/02/2017

Commented on 03/13/2017

Scott, as we strive to make every experience the best we would love to know why you would not play here again. With a five star review we hope this was a misunderstanding and you join us again in the future!

"Course with potential"

72osuphcy's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/30/2017
Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Still a young course with some potential if it makes it. Probably on weddings, etc. Nice facility that I saw but reminds me of Vellano in Chino Hills Calif. Gated but open to the public and understaffed...Played in 2 hours 50 minutes that is a plus but would not go back

Commented on 03/13/2017

Thank you for visiting us out here at Bella Collina, as we strive to make everyone have an unforgettable experience if you could let us know what it was that made you not want to come back again. We hope that you indeed join us again before we transition to a fully private course.

"One of my favorite Florida courses"

phreynen's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2017

I really enjoy playing this course, because it is so different from other Florida courses. Each time I play it, I find that there have been improvements to make it more playable. It is challenging, but fair. It is in beautiful condition and the greens were perfect even though it seems to be getting more play. I played as a single and the ranger was very helpful so that I could play through foursomes without disrupting play. I wish I could play it more often.

Commented on 03/13/2017

We are overjoyed to hear that you had a great time out here at Bella Collina and that the staff was very helpful. We hope to see you again soon!

"Great shape"

bigerky's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2016
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I have played this course a few times before. I was alarmed to see a very negative review only a few days before we were scheduled to play. However, the review was nonsense. The greens were really great, and the course was in great shape.

The last 2 holes are kind of head scratchers, and I would go so far as to say 18 is dangerous, as you can't see the fairway from the tee. However, the rest of the layout is a blast, and the clubhouse, grill, practice facilities and course conditions were great.

There aren't many courses like this in Florida.

Commented on 03/13/2017

We thank you for this great review, and the reassurance that the previous review is something that we shouldn't of been alarmed by as the greens were in the condition we strive for. We hope to see you again soon!

"Safe your money"

34mike34's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/20/2016

This experience was suggested to me from a golfing buddy, so I took his word for it. They appearance from driving up to the course made my mouth start to water. Great club house, excellent men's locker room, great layout. Here is the kicker; the greens were the worst I have played on for decades. Sparse grass on them, very bumpy. 2 ft straight putts would bounce all over the place like you were playing pinball. The pro shop staff were not very public oriented. There were NO people working anywhere on the course. Very bad taste left in myouth for the rice paid and value received. All said and done I/ we still had a good time. U was paired up with a father/ son 2some

Commented on 03/13/2017

We are sorry to hear your negative review about the greens, we hope you decide to join us again soon to experience how great the greens are at the present time and will be going forward.

"Loved Bella Collina"

baw48's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2016
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

If you are in the Orlando area you need to make sure and play this course. You will not believe you are in Florida! Hilly terrain like being in Austin, Texas.

Commented on 03/13/2017

Thank you for visiting us at Bella Collina, we are glad you had a great visit and hope to see you again soon!

"Still the hardest course in the Orlando area."

mrpaver2010's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2016
Previously played Used cart

This is a beautiful place, and I played here last year. I came back because I remember how difficult it was, and wanted to take on the challenge again. Bottom line is you need to be a good player to play here. No matter which tees you choose, you still have to hit it in play, you never have a level lie, the bunkers can be intimidating, and the greens even though large have a lot of slope to them. You need to think your way around on every shot. The greens where still coming in but the putting was ok. If you are looking for a course in the Orlando area to find out just how good your game is, this is the place to do it.

Commented on 03/13/2017

We are glad to have you back this year, and we hope to be on your itinerary for next year as well! The golf course is indeed difficult but with the varying tees we feel that it suits most players game. Thank you again!

"If you like a challenge you will love Bella Collina"

patandorjean's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

We read a review that was posted right after we booked Bella Collina and it was too late to cancel. The review blasted the course and conditions as being horrible. The guy claimed to be a low handicap golfer. Guess he shot his worst round in sometime and took it out on his review. The course was in great shape with well manicured greens. We played from the white tees (3rd easiest) and still had 3 par 4's over 440 yards. If we had played the black tees (hardest tee box) the course is 7400 plus yards long with 2 par 5's at 6 hundred yards. View and vistas were spectacular with a great clubhouse and the 19th Hole had excellent food with very good service at very reasonable prices. It was like sitting in a Tuscan Villa. It was our first time there but will certainly not be our last. Previous reviewer screen name was goofster who claimed he played the day before us was certainly goofy.

Commented on 03/13/2017

We thank you for the kind review and are happy to hear that the golf course was indeed in great shape unlike what the reviewer prior had posted. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

"Disappointing"

goofster99's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Pro shop staff were not really friendly. Starter was very good. Course was in quite good shape, however, greens were very bumpy and slow. Not what we had heard in the past. Beverage cart staff was attentive and informative as well. We were very much looking forward to it. The topography is much more hilly than other Florida courses. Clubhouse is amazing.

Commented on 03/13/2017

We are sorry to hear that the Staff in the Pro Shop was not friendly, we have addressed this issue and has been fixed for the future. The golf course is in great shape currently and we hope to see you again soon!

"Excellent Course, looking forward to playing again."

Rick8951423's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/03/2016

Commented on 03/13/2017

Thanks Rick! Glad you had a great time and we look forward to see you on your next visit!

"Wow, but Hard!!"

Lee2440801's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/22/2016

Excellent course !! Worth ever Dollar!

Amazing Clubhouses. Great track, but difficult.

Generous fairways to land your drives, but never a flat lie. Don't go in the bunkers b/c it will cost you!! Not rec for high handicappers!!

Highly recommend!!!

Commented on 11/30/2016

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed the course. We hope to see you again soon!

"Beautiful clubhouse, course not so much"

mdebuck289's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/13/2016

As I entered the club I don't know if I have seen such a clubhouse on a public course. That being said, I wouldn't recommend this course for a high handicap. I played in a foursome of a 6, 11 and two 21 handicaps. The high handicaps had a hard time with the lies and all the bunkers. The course is very difficult with no level landing areas. Uneven lies are part of the game, but when paying $100, I do expect very good course conditions which wasn't there. Money would be better spent on the course instead of other areas.

Commented on 11/30/2016

We thank you for joining us out here at Bella Collina. We are not a public course, rather a Private club that allows outside guest play depending on what is available during the day. We are sorry to hear that conditions may of been less than desirable. During this time we were preparing for the season with our annual overseed process, we hope that you join us again to see us in our peak course conditions.

"Great Course Very Enjoyable"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Found this course on Golfadvisor.com with great reviews and decided to try it for our end of season golf trip to Orlando. It was everything and then some. Well laid out course that was very fair and fun to play. Staff were great at bag drop and in Proshop. Club house is like a mini Italian village with the 19th hole across the cobbled alleyway from the proshop.

Will come back here every year for a round.

Commented on 11/30/2016

We are delighted that you had a great experience from the start to finish of your day here at Bella Collina. We look forward to your visits in the coming years.