La Cantera Resort - The Palmer Course

GPS: Yes

Golf school / academy: Yes - "The Academy at La Cantera"

Silver 71 6115 yards 69.3 128
Copper 71 5784 yards 70.6 134
Jade (W) 71 5066 yards 65.3 116

Location is at a resort convenient to the city worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens bunkers   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks patio dining

"Visually Stunning"

tbusselle's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Most visually appealing course I've played to date.<br/> Staff was very friendly and accommodating. You can't find anything nearly as nice in Houston for anywhere close to the price. Will definitely be back.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

Commented on 12/28/2015

Hi tbusselle,

Thank you for playing at La Cantera Resort, and thank you for the 5 star rating. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our staff, our course layout, and your round. We hope you will be back to see us for another round soon.

Best Wishes,<br/> La Cantera Resort Management

Jonathan9557647's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/20/2017

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/15/2017

Response from La Cantera Management on 10/17/2017:

Our staff greatly appreciates your recommendation and is looking forward to your next round at La Cantera!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2017

Response from La Cantera Management on 10/17/2017:

Thank you for playing The Palmer Course and sharing your 5-star experience!

"Beautiful Course - Staff Could Be Better"

Jason4997396's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2017

Went on vacation to the SA area with a good buddy, decided on this course as we wanted a good challenge. Overall, beautiful course and the layout was great. We had a really good time golfing here and would come back again. Ended up getting a hot deal time slot which was great.

We dealt with 2 course marshals who were "friendly" but made some disparaging comments and one even asked what we typically shot, and was taken aback that it was our first time playing here. Even another golfer that was nearby laughed when he asked if we "shot at least 10 over or better" when I replied "yes, I tend to think that we do". We didn't find any humor, and it made us not want to golf here from hole 1. The staff that took our bags and readied the cart were great, same with the clubhouse staff.

Would golf here again at the end of the day.

Response from La Cantera Management on 10/04/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us and sharing your 4-star experience!

"Best Course we played in San Antonio"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017

We went to SA for a Labor Day golf weekend. Played 5 courses (all of them were nice). Turns out, we saved the best for last with this course. Staff was very friendly at pro-shop and the starter too. Course was in perfect shape. Greens were fast and a bit on the difficult side-but consistent and provided just the right amount of challenge. As far as the rest of the course, EVERY HOLE WAS PICTURESQUE. And fortunately very playable. Sometimes other beautiful courses are almost too difficult to enjoy. This course was perfect in that it was not only beautiful, but not incredibly difficult. We got a heck of a deal on the price. Will pay more next time if we need too. Worth more than what we paid!

Response from La Cantera Management on 09/12/2017:

We really enjoyed reading your 5-star review! It sounds like you were up for the challenge of the course and looking forward to returning. See you soon!

"Play the Palmer"

Steve7843749's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017

Dear La Canterra, thanks for closing the resort course for maintenance and switching our group to the Palmer. The Palmer is awesome, I can't believe it took me years to find it. If you live in the San Antonio area, play this course. If you don't live in San Antonio area, take a trip, you will experience an awesome golf outing. A typical Palmer layout that challenges the low handicappers hunting birdies, yet also gives approachable lines for us higher handicappers struggling for par. And a hillside location that offers plenty of terrain breaks, great views of the city, and tremendous opportunities to mingle with the native local wildlife. Plenty of deer, turkeys, and other Texas creatures to keep the round interesting. I found my new favorite course in Texas. We will be back many times!

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/23/2017:

We really enjoyed reading your 5-star review! The Palmer is definitely a great golfing experience. See you soon!

Jose8029635's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2017

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/23/2017:

Thank you for the 5-star review!

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/27/2017

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/10/2017:

Glad you enjoyed the course. Thank you for the 5-star review!

"Great"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2017

Hole 18 was brutal, very dangerous on steep fairway

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/09/2017:

Hole 18 is a tough one! Thank you for golfing with us and providing a 5-star review of your experience. See you soon!

"It's just ok"

rickklassen's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2017

Played here for the first time on Saturday and really didn't like it. The course is littered with blind shots and your are guessing. I suppose if I played this course a couple times I would change my rating but for a first timer it's not a great experience. Many of the tee shots are just silly, hitting up a hill.

The driving range is irons only, no ball washers on the course and the pace was slow. For $85 (I was staying at the resort) it's not worth it.

Response from La Cantera Management on 07/25/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us! The course can be tricky first time around, but we hope you decide to give us another try.

"Terrible"

Age:  Under 25

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2017

I've been stationed here 3 years and have always wanted to play this course. Made a tee time 2 days prior and showed up today only to be told "I don't have a cart for you". I thought he was joking so I just laughed then he replied with "I don't think you're understanding me, I don't have a cart for you". If I'm going to pay this much to play a course I at least want my own cart and a halfway polite staff. Didn't even get on the course because my girlfriend wanted to ride along and apparently that's unacceptable to them. Never written a review before but I thought this experience was worth making an account.

Response from La Cantera Management on 07/25/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us! We're sorry to hear about your experience in the pro shop. This is not up to our standard. Please feel free to reach out so we can improve your 1 star review if you decide to try us again.

Commented on 07/24/2017

That seems a little rediculous for such a "prestigious" course but given the opportunity I would've paid that without question.

Commented on 07/23/2017

I noticed a sign in the clubhouse that allows non players to ride for $25.

"New palmer"

manram1977's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

First time playing this Palmer course. It fits the standard set by the Palmer name in general. Course was in very good shape, fairways and greens. Driving range is iron only so be prepared to not swing your driver. Layout is fun with lots of good views from raised tee boxes. It will test your accuracy off the tee and on approach as lots of the greens are small. Good for the intermediate to advanced golfer. People with lots of movement may have a tough time here. I'm a 7 and when my ball decided to move with the wind I lost a ball 2 times. Good luck

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/09/2017:

We really enjoyed reading your review of The Palmer Course! It sounds like you were definitely up to the challenge. Thank you for the 5-star review!

"Great golf course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2017

This course is laid out beautifully, with lots of challenges. I had to stop occasionally to look around and take in the awesome views. The staff was very friendly. It was hot the day I played and at the end of the round, I was meet with a smile and cold wet towel from one of the staff. I really enjoyed the day at La Cantera.

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/09/2017:

We're happy you enjoyed your day at La Cantera! Thank you for the 5-star review. See you soon!

"Enjoyable Round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017

Played on a hot week day during the summer so they had us start on the back nine to ensure we were out of the quarry portion before it got too hot. Interesting layout. Holes 1-9 (our back 9) we're definitely cooler since we had a small breeze. The only thing disappointing for a high-end course was the shape the golf carts were in. Our cart-mounted ball washer was dry, had no bristles and actually contained trash in it instead of water. Other than that we had an enjoyable round.

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/09/2017:

Good to hear we accommodated the round to adjust to the heat at the right time. Thank you for the 4-star review!

""Sorry" no rain checks"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2017

After playing less than nine holes and it started to lightning and pour down in buckets we were told sorry because you booked online with a third-party service we don't offer any rain checks. All this being done while the staff is more interested in watching the tournament on TV. All while showing no empathy and blaming management and policy

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/09/2017:

We're sorry to hear about your experience in the pro shop. Customer service will be addressed. This experience is not up to our standard of the course. Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2017

Challenging Layout loved the course. Not a easy course to play so bring your A game and play correct tee box you will be glad you did. Look forward to playing it again next time I'm in San Antonio.

Response from La Cantera Management on 08/09/2017:

We look forward to your next round with us! Thank you for the 5-star review. See you soon!

"Not what I've been used to"

tiburonazo's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I've played the Palmer a few times. This one time I was disappointed. We had a tee time at 3:30pm, the pace was kind of slow as the course was pretty packed with people. Three things about this experience that really bothered me: 1) the GPS units on the carts got replaced to cheaper (not very user friendly units - are they trying to save money? why not just keep the older better units?), 2) the staff was telling us that we needed to wrap it up by 8pm because the cart was going to be taken from us by then even though sunset is not until 8:30pm (yet the pace was slow, we paid for 18 holes, but we decide for you how many holes you get to play? not cool), and 3) the water coolers around the course had zero water in it, which is completely unsat considering that San Antonio weather is the hottest around that time (>100F and no water, calls for an unpleasant round of golf). I was so ticked off by my experience, that I'll probably take this course off my favorites list in San Antonio.

Response from La Cantera Management on 07/19/2017:

We're sorry to hear about your most recent experience with us. Please feel free to reach out to the pro shop so we can better accommodate your next round. This was not up to our standards at La Cantera.

"The Palmer Course @ La Cantera"

TheOBchef's avatar
Dallas Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/21/2017

From Tee to Green this course is in pristine shape! The subtle nuances on the greens make them some of the toughest I have ever played on. Pay attention to the GPS, there are a few blind tee shots and if you have never played the course it is an invaluable tool. The starter ( I think his name is Bud) gave us a quick demo of the GPS unit. With the views and the course condition, this is a must play!

The course is so well maintained it hard to find issues with it. Everyone on the course was extremely friendly and made you feel welcomed. You need to play this course! Why are you still reading this? Go book a tee time!

Response from La Cantera Management on 06/28/2017:

We really enjoyed reading your 5 star review! The GPS is definitely a cool feature and adds value to any round of golf with us. Our staff appreciated the comments on pristine course conditions and friendly customer service. See you soon!

"Beautiful"

joshsmith12's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/16/2017

Drive up to the Palmer course to play on top of the city. Views are spectacular. Conditions were great. Fairways are in perfect condition. Greens rolled excellent. Had been side aerated maybe a few weeks ago but have recovered nicely. Great condition. Tee boxes are getting a bit of play. The new GPS systems are nice. Keep you out of the bad areas and from guys driving right up to the green. Everyone is very friendly and marshalls keep play moving along nice. Lots of shade for hot days. Wider than many would lend you to suggest. Keep the ball in play and on the right spots. You'll score fine. Highly recommend anyone visiting the area to play at least once here.

Response from La Cantera Management on 06/22/2017:

Thank you for recommending anyone visiting the area to golf with us! We're happy to hear you enjoyed the course conditions and spectacular views. See you soon!

"Palmer Course Tightens GPS"

Bobemac's avatar
Texas Advisor

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

Sadly, one of my favorite courses has started becoming the adversary of people with disabilities. They just installed a new GPS system that effectively hinders folks with handicaps.

This GPS stops cold 100 yards from greens in the middle of fairways. As an example on hole #9, a par four signature hole the GPS shuts your cart down on the side of the hill 130 yards and a long carry away from the tiny green.

This change in GPS control is like 1984 with Big Brother all over again. Another serious consequence of the new GPS will be More Rounds Lasting Over Five Hours.

The greens have been laterally aerated but the speed was not impacted, they are plenty fast.

This is a beautiful golf course with some of the highest elevation in the area. The course is tough because of all the uphill and downhill climbs. It can be somewhat of an exhausting round of golf. On a windy day, there are plenty of uphill shots into the wind.

It was a hot and humid day in June and there were not a lot of folks playing.

The cart girl's name was Nadia. She pulled up noisily as I was hitting on number 7 hole.

It is obvious that Nadia needs additional instruction on golf courtesy, like talking when someone is addressing the ball.

Response from La Cantera Management on 06/22/2017:

Thank you for golfing with us! We're sorry to hear the new GPS system is inhibiting your game. Next time you visit us, please let us know about this situation in the pro shop and we will do our best to accommodate.