The Ranch Golf Club

Dress code: Proper golf attire is required at all times, no cut-offs, blue jeans, or tank tops

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views locals   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries narrow fairways   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

zz1958zz's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/14/2017

"Still one of my Favorite courses ever"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/12/2017

I read a bunch of bad reviews here recently so I had to go check it out.First off course is in great shape(except for a couple greens that had issues they were repairing)Cart was fine didn't die like what I had read half way through my round.But understand this is a VERY hilly course so sure they will use more juice then a regular flat course plus holes are not back to back but spread out very far apart on some.Course is the best challenge I have ever seen when it comes to using EVERY club in your bag and playing smart and laying up instead of using a driver at times to manage course....this is not a grip it and Rip it course but one that challenges your smarts to end up with a good score here.Scenery is amazing as are most of the holes,I've noticed roadrunners have found there way here which is very cool.To appreciate this course you have to love a challenge and understand the consequences of bad choices.Yes you will lose tons of balls if you don't play smart within your ability,and don't try shots unless your sure you can make them or its your own fault not the course you lost that dozen new pro v's.I see so many complaints about this but please I played didn't lose a ball ,had a great round(one of my best here)and enjoyed every minute of it.But I used common sense and played within my ability,layed up on some shots instead of trying to bomb it as far as possible because here that will KILL your game and eat your balls for sure.Respect the course,enjoy what it has to offer and you will be back for more I promise.It makes you a better golfer for sure.

Commented on 12/16/2017

We very much appreciate your review. We have been working hard on green restoration, and have grown, and patched most of the problem areas, where a fungus had taken over, on our greens. We have also completed removal of wild boar from the course, and have since fixed most of the damage caused.

Commented on 12/16/2017

Great review. Good to hear the Ranch is getting back and that you had a good round there. Thanks!

"[[So much potentialll...wasted"

jacktheredd's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/10/2017

This course had so much potential when it was first opened. Then it was overpriced. The management is non existent. The course maintenance is poor at best.

Lowering the weekday price would entice more players and improve the profits.

This is not a quality course by any stretch of the imagination. Example: New sand was put into the bunkers without removing the weeds growing there. Result: The weeds growing in the bunkers are now very healthy.

Players need to rake after playing from bunkers. Fix your divots on the greens and in the fairways.

That, by itself, would improve the playability.

"Condition improved"

Gang4908964's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/07/2017

I used to play here a lot but didn’t come for a while due to the bad condition. However, I found it was improved a lot. The only issue I had was the short battery life of the cart. It ran out of power after the 11th hole. They should consider to change batteries.

Ty2244's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/06/2017

"A disappointing round at The Ranch"

killeraz1's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2017

I have played The Ranch 5 times now and this was the worse experience I have had playing here or any other course in the Bay Area. The Ranch sells itself as a premier course, well not this time. The cage that is used to warm up is gone. The pro shop employee told me it was destroyed during a winter storm. Wow, it's November and the cage hasn't been replaced. The tee boxes are not close to level and beat up. The fairways for the most part were good. The greens are the worse I have seen on any course. The greens have large patches of dirt and are scared. To top it off our cart battery died going to the clubhouse at the end of the round. If any of the conditions were disclosed before booking I would not have played.

Lawrence8893193's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/24/2017

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/20/2017
First time playing Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

The golf cart was not fully charged.

We have to push the cart when we got to hole 12.

We decided to return the cart and we stop our round after that.

Commented on 11/30/2017

I had the same problem with my cart on the 12th at the Ranch. I simply called the pro shop and they delivered another cart to me in minutes. I did not push my cart and was completely able to finish my high scoring round!

"Shocking Suprise!"

steven1970's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2017

The Ranch golf club use to be one of the BEST tracks in the area,but no longer! Animals and lack of maintenence have taken its toll! Wild animals are destroying the course with NO end in sight,,so sad,,SAVE YOUR MONEY!!

"Fabulous layout!"

wamerman123's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/30/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

Ok. This course is brutally tough. There are long carries over canyons from the tee boxes. Thick rough and downhill lies for approach shots from fairways where you still have to carry another canyon to get to the green. Huge sloping greens protected by water and very little fringe. In short, I don't think you will find a more challenging course. So why do I like it so much, in spite of the greens with a few dirt patches and the fairways with some muddy areas? It is the most interesting layout I've every played. The more I play it, the more I appreciate the thought behind the layout.

Thinking back to my round yesterday, I used every club in my bag except my 5 iron. I lost more balls than usual (maybe 6) and shot a 90 (as an 8 handicap). But I truly had to strategize my shots and every swing with the driver was as smooth and controlled as I could make it. In short, the layout is so spectacular and each hole so interesting that I don't even notice the maintenance issues. That being said, it'd be great to get those fixed, too!

Commented on 10/31/2017

Great review. I couldn't agree more. Thanks for posting!

"terrible condition"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

dirt bunkers, greens with holes everywhere. Will not be playing again.

Course Layout: Poor

"Played It Many Times"

gerrybenton's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/25/2017

I have mixed feelings about The Ranch as they struggle to maintain the course in a price-warring market and deal with ecological issues.

I have always enjoyed the layout and the challenge that comes with it. Course conditions have suffered at times, which prompted me to suspend playing it for almost a year, until recently. I see efforts made by new ownership to improve it. I wish them the best.

"Extremely slow pace and unorganized"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2017

Started playing at 12:50pm and I was only able to play 8 holes and left at 4:00pm. Waited at every t-box and every shot after that. No way to get a rhythm going on a course which is already tough. Greens in horrible condition too.

"Wild course"

jfriend00's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2017

My friends and I play this course once a year, usually in the fall when our other regular courses are punching greens. It's a wild and fun course, but the front nine fairways are quite narrow and, in most cases, if you miss the fairway by more than a few yards, you probably lose your ball. The front nine (through canyons) is the wild nine. The back nine is more playable though still plenty of adventure.

You have to be able to accurately hit distance and direction on a number of front nine tee shots or you may lose your ball. The unfortunate thing about the course is that the course conditions are going downhill from previous years. Some greens have chunks of grass missing. The bunkers are not maintained particularly well. There are lots of spots in the rough that are just dirt. A number of balls plugged in the fairways (in early fall with no rain).

An 18 index golfer could easily lose 5-10 balls. A 6 index will probably lose 3-4 balls. The slope is 142 from the blue tees which is only 6300 yards so you can imagine how it earns the 142 slope rating.

We play it once a year for the adventure.

Due to the extreme up and down and very long distance between holes, you have to take an electric cart and the cart is included in the green fee.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

"The Ranch Golf Course"

Dan6973135's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2017

The Ranch Golf course touts it has the highest slope/difficulty of play in California. This is true we have played Wolf Creek in Mesquite NV and The Ranch is way more challenging. The first thing they ask you when you check in, "Did you bring a lot of balls because you're are going to to lose at least one ball a hole." They were right. There is no driving range or net to warm up in, just a putting green. Part of the problem is there are no maps or range distances at each of the tee boxes or on the score card. . The course is in very rough shape. Sand traps are washing away, no sand in many of them. Fairways were extremely muddy. The exterior of the golf course rough is not maintained and a fire hazard. Back nine plays easier. Restrooms were not clean.

"Full rate for run-down course"

T314159H's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2017
Used cart Perfect weather

We were charged the full senior rate for a course that is falling apart. The "driving range" (a net cage) blew down in a storm and has not been replaced. The greens were plugged and also so severely damaged that large portions were not playable. Fairways had been dug up by wild pigs and deeply rutted by tractors. The bunkers had sand only in the flat bottom portions; the sides were just mud and tufts of grass. Even the signs were rusting, peeling, and partly unreadable. See photos.

The new management is apparently planning to go out of business. Nobody will want to come back after playing here once. We saw several maintenance workers, but they are nowhere close to keeping up with what the course needs.

Course Layout: Poor

"What's with course maintenance"

nopops22's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2017

The greens are a mess..putting sand on a bald spot is not the answer..And the bunkers..half sand, half dirt.

Finally..please hire someone to re=program the irrigation system...wasting water...and dry areas.

"For some chalengers"

weekendgolfer2's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

Great course lay out but get ready to get your ego CRUSH because this course will destroy you it you will want more because it is challenging its addictive,some green is badly damaged but who care getting onto the green is already a challenge,good luck

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2017

will never play there again, there were dead areas on every Green on the course no sand in the sand bunkers and weeds growing out of the bunkers basically the course is in very poor condition. Will not recommend this to anyone else and I won't be playing there anymore.