Black Pearl Golf Course at Pristine Bay Resort

• French Harbour, Roatan, Bay Islands, 34101, Honduras
  • 1 (800) 558-6447, (504) 2454-7050
  • pristinebayresort.com

Year built: 2010
Architect(s): Pete Dye (2009), Perry Dye (2009)
Type: Resort

Practice hole: No
Indoor practice facilities: No
Simulator: No

Dress code: Collared shirt required
Credit cards accepted: Major credit cards welcomed

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.5 stars from 5

Location is at a resort   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers a weekend splurge   Challenges include water hazards   Great for drinks

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/07/2017

roatanflyer's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

I play this course a few times a year and overall it is great. The last few times I have played there has been no balls on the driving range and the other downside is the battery life on the golf carts. My last 4 rounds we have not been able to finish with the same cart, the batteries must be getting old or not maintained, either way not much fun running out of juice half way through our round.

"The good and the bad"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/19/2017

The course was challenging but wonderful to play. The only problem we had was our golf cart had no power to get up the very steep hills. When the beverage cart came around the girl phoned the front desk three times for us but they did not show up with a new cart until the 16th whole. We had to walk and push the cart from the 8th hole. No apologies were given at the end

"One with the course"

mtpingr's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2016

I played The Black Pearl twice during my stay in Roatan. My first round I played from the blue tees and shot an 82. I was very happy with this as I expected lots of trouble if I missed the fairways. Luck has it that my driver was very good to me and I really played with confidence. Two days later I played with my brother who just got married the day before and we played from the whit tees since his experience level is not that expansive. From the whites I shot a 78.

The course was virtually empty both days I played it. The weather was phenomenal with the slightest of breeze to keep your skin cool. I did get a good rate from GolfNow and feel it was well worth the $75. I would like to see GPS in the carts and possibly some drinking water coolers positioned on the course. The beverage cart just didn't make it around very much which I couldn't understand with the lack of players on the course.

The "pro shop" is one of the smallest I have ever seen and considering this is a resort I expected more merchandise with their brand. The resort itself is gorgeous and the scenes of the ocean are few and far between. Homes don't really come into play but there are a few scattered around.

I stayed in West Bay which was nearly an hours drive to the course in Pristine Bay. I did love the course but found some maintenance issues spread throughout the course. By far the most difficult part of this course are the greens, I found the fairways had generous landing areas unless you get really erratic.

If I could choose again, I'll play Indura in Tela on the mainland before The Black Pearl.

"The Pearl is a Pearl"

Rick9568434's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/23/2015
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Wow. One of the most beautiful courses this old duffer has played. Greens and fairways were wonderful. The bunkers were not a bright spot - almost no sand in most. The rough was not too penalizing, but something to respect. The views are incredible. My favorite is the view of the bay from the club house second floor balcony. The pro shop is woefully deficient. Even the average duffer shouldn't need more than one sleeve of balls. The ride from the boat to the course was a bit hair raising. Soldiers with machine guns at several locations along the road. Takes about 45 minutes from the port. Very fair and also challenging course for us old farts.

"Good second time around"

Bob5112194's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/25/2015
Previously played Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

Returned to play the Black Pearl after four years and was not disappointed. Much of the "others" remain a work in progress, such as the cart paths and even the pro shop, which moved downstairs but is still too small for a course of this stature. The course has matured nicely and despite the recent (including the day of play) rains drained generally well. Very well maintained. Greens were slower than I would have liked but generally true and smooth. Best aspect was that they removed the ridiculous tree in the middle of the fairway on #16, although Dye probably kicked and screamed about that. Highly recommend this course which while giving you ocean views also has significant elevation changes. Will challenge the novice but this course can be had if you're an intermediate or good golfer.

"Awesome Course"

swatso5's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/27/2015

The course was tough but fun. Bring plenty of balls, I only lost 4, but I could have lost more. Heard others lost all of their balls. I had a caddy for the first time ever which was cool. The course has an awesome island green par 3! The views are amazing. There is a driving range that I didnt use, but it is kind of far from "clubhouse." The first tee is far too. But once out there, the round will be awesome. Definitely recommend if you are in Roatan. The green fees can be a little pricey. I was able to find a deal online for about 1/3 of the price, which made me feel a lot better about it!

"The Pearl in Roatan"

kswinston's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/28/2014

We enjoyed the course albeit after three days of significant rainfall in Roatan. The course is beautiful and challenging. Straight shooters will do well. Errant shots will require a bevy of balls as these shots will find the wetlands.

Use GolfNow to find the best rates and ask the Pro Shop to honor if the weather is unpredictable and you do not want to commit to a specific day.

Black Pearl is the best Roatan has to offer.

"Stunning greens and blues!"

freshwaterbay's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Good weather

Play this course regulary, greens are excellent and it is seldom busy, Roatan has a true gem of a course that challenges all levels of ability........wildlife and scenery are great too.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Challenging fun"

rsummerell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Beautiful greens and wide fairways, but plenty of hazards to watch for.

"Great Course"

jrmilk1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2014

I have played many Pete/Perry Dye courses and this one is equal to any. Beautiful views and fun holes, highly recommend to both beginners and low handicaps. The front 9 was a bit more challenging than the back and the first 3 holes are tough.The greens were in perfect shape which made for a good day. The views from the higher holes are really amazing. The reef is in the background to #11 green and the water color is spectacular. The par 3's were all tough from the blue tees but fun. The wind came up in the afternoon and cooled it down but made the golf a bit more challenging. We look forward to coming to play every year from now on. Easy trip down from the Colorado Springs/ Denver area

"Amazing view!!!"

caishos's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2014
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

One of the most beautiful courses I have ever played.
Amazing view, staff is great, food is good.
The course is very challenging, it has easy holes and very difficult ones.
The island green on the 12th is amazing, 100% recommended.

"Amazing Course"

pitoche's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

If you are ever in Roatan, you have to play this course, I got of a cruise ship and played a round, I did not expect much but it is classic Dye, starts very difficult, eases trough the round and ends up difficult again, they have a beautiful resort, I am coming back for a extended vacation.

"Pete Dye at his best"

Cocotori's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

This is an amazing course at a great resort "Pristine Bay", it is the only course in Roatan, and if you visit this beautiful island in the western caribbean, you must play it. It has the traditional Pete Dye island green as the signature hole with a little twist, it has a partially submerged bunker around it. It has perfectly manicured Paspallum tees and greens, and the service is excellent I highly recommend it. A 2 hour flight out of Houston, I come back often and plan to retire there.

"Playing in Paradise"

Maximumgolfer's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/05/2014
Previously played Played with a group Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

With 14 holes having views to the carabean ocean, this place is really beautiful, With the 12 being the signature hole, the island hole is more intimidating than hard. But in all the black pearl is a good test of skill fo everybody.