Cannon Ridge Golf Club

3.9206823529 3.9 stars from 5 (117)

Gift this Course
  • 9000 Celebrate Virginia Parkway, Fredericksburg, VA 22406, Stafford County
  • www.golfcannonridge.com

Year built: 2003
Architect(s): Deane Beman (2003), Bobby Weed (2003)
Type: Public
Greens: L-93 Bent Grass
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Dress code: Pants or golf shorts must be worn. Tank tops, denim, T-shirts, cut-offs, sweat pants, bathing suits or other athletic shorts are prohibited; Halter-tops, denim, T-shirts, bathing suits, sweat pants; athletic shorts or short shorts are prohibited

Challenges include elevation changes

"A Gem Of A Course That’s Gone Too Soon…"

MizunoBen's avatar
Virginia Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/04/2017

I procrastinated for two years to play Cannon Ridge and now that I finally have, I’m sad to hear it may well be my only time. The course closes to golf at the end of November, so if it’s been on your list to play like it was for me, you better hurry.

The news of the closure is a real shame because the course is a really nice one, I really enjoyed my round here. The layout is dynamic and challenging in a good way with plenty of variety, different shots required and course management to score well. There’s plenty of elevation changes (especially on the hilly back nine) and enough hazards to keep things interesting. Beginner golfers will appreciate the many open and inviting fairways from the tee.

The conditions of the course were very good, especially considering the impending closure, with smooth, even fairways and greens that were in great shape. Tee boxes, rough and bunkers were also generally well-maintained with a few exceptions. I haven’t played Lee’s Hill GC yet but I’d be surprised if the layout and conditions there are better than this course.

The staff was minimal when I played which is probably to be expected at this point. The off-course amenities are standard, pace of play was great once I was able to scoot past the sixsome(!) that tee’d off 20 minutes before me.

I payed $25 for my early morning round so I found this course to be a great value. I live 2 hours away from it but will try to make it out again before they close for good. I will be sad to see it go even though I’ve only played it once.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/10/2017:

Hello, we're glad you enjoyed our challenging layout and good course conditions. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

"value, but not a ton of play means little money for maintenence..."

tbohlin's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2017
Previously played Perfect weather

greens were spotty, fairways nice in most areas. as bare as they were in some spots, they always seemed to roll true. would play again for the value and the weather was absolutely perfect. close enough to 95 to make it relatively easy.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/10/2017:

Hello, we're happy you enjoyed a good value and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

"Course clearly having some issues"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2017

Went to Cannon ridge for the first time in a couple years, and it's a shame how bad the course is being cared for these days.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/03/2017:

Hello, we're sorry our course conditions were not up to par. We appreciate your feedback. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

"Wish Cannon Ridge got more plat"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/30/2017

Love this course layout and scenery...played 4 times now was great first 3 times, but now looks like there may be financial issues. Although fairways and tee boxes are still great shape, greens are failing. Some areas of course in play needs to be mowed. Looks like running low on money.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 10/03/2017:

Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our nice course layout and scenery. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

jonpage's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

Fairway great layout was outstanding green were in very poor condition staff never say a word!

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 09/25/2017:

Hello, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We're happy you enjoyed our great course layout and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

"Great staff"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/14/2017

It's a shame they are closing in December. The staff was doing a great job getting the course back in shape. I'll play as much as possible till then...

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 09/19/2017:

Hello, we're happy you enjoyed our great course conditions and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

"It's too bad"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/05/2017
Previously played Walked Hot weather Verified Purchaser

The fairways are good but the greens are suffering. Don't expect it to get better, as the course is closing in December.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 09/08/2017:

Hi Bryce, we're sorry you didn't fully enjoy your round. Our goal at Cannon Ridge Golf Club is for every player to enjoy their experience. Thank you for playing, we hope you give us another shot in the future.

"Greens was real bad"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2017

The fairways and tee boxes was in good shape.

The greens was in bad shape and the golf cart power was slow for a course with hills.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 09/05/2017:

Hi Dwayne, we're happy you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our challenging course layout. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

"Used to be real nice, it clouds be the weather but, when I played, the couse was in just below average condition"

alexgen's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/28/2017

Used to be real nice, it clouds be the weather but, when I played, the couse was in just below average condition In my opinion.

The fairway is good, better than average but the green was way below average as it has lots of burned or dead spots with crab grasses.

I played with hot deal so can't complain much but surely don't want to pay $40 or more to play.

Staffs are always nice there, so feels you are treated right.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/31/2017:

Hello Sung, we're happy you enjoyed our nice staff and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

"It will be missed"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

This course rivaled the gauntlet for overall ratings in my book. It once had great greens which are not very good anymore. Some rocks in bunkers. Fairways had a little brown but are plush and play great. If rumors are true it won't be open next year, and it seems to be with the money they're not putting into it for maintenance, i will miss it.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/29/2017:

Hi Louis, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We're glad you enjoyed our friendly staff and a quick pace of play. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

James3293825's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/23/2017

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/28/2017:

Hi James, we're glad you enjoyed a quick pace of play and our good course conditions. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

"Cannon Ridge GC"

u190514657's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017

Course was recommended to me while vacationing for a week at Lake Anna. I played Saturday and Monday., 19th and 21st, respectively. Both days were reserved at GolfNow, "hotdeals". We were able to tee-off early than our tee time as it was not crowded. Range facilities were included in the price. The course was in wonderful condition from tee-box, fairway to green. Rough was a lot thicker and dense then I am used to, so your opportunity is to keep the ball in the fairway. If not, a lot of balls may be lost. Fairways, literally had NO blemishes. The grass appeared to spongy and thicker. The balls did sit up nice. Being a good ball striker will go along way. As we played the "white tees", a lot of holes was hitting over thick trees and foliage to get to the fairway. If you drive 200 yards or better, you reached the fairways OK. Mishit or pull/slice meant a lost ball. No GPS on the carts. Length of play for us was still 4-4 1/2 hours. The staff for checking-in, concessions and carts, could not have been nicer. The problem with the course was noted to us on Saturday. Cannon Ridge is closing its doors, permanently, at the end of the year, December 2017. Even though the course renovated and re-opened in April 2016, and finally making a good profit the land appears to be more valuable to construction developers. What a shame. I was hoping to play it again when we vacation in Lake Anna, again

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/29/2017:

Hi Stephen, we're happy you enjoyed our wonderful course conditions and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

"Sad"

jimnelson01's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2017

I used to play this course when they opened

Brought friends from out of town etc course was stunning. I realize they were closed for several years but this course has sadly declined terribly. My friends and I all of said we are not going back until fixes are made. Sorry. Love the track..but you gotta fix it yp

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/22/2017:

Hello James, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We appreciate your feedback and we are working on making improvements. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/16/2017

Very nice and quiet course. Fairways are immaculate,greens cut too close, traps in much need of work. Very challenging course.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/21/2017:

Hello James, we're happy you enjoyed our immaculate fairways and challenging layout. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

"This course has great features"

aavgator's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017

This course had excellent fairways and challenging holes. it is worth the money to play.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/22/2017:

Hello Donald, we're happy you enjoyed our challenging holes and excellent fairways. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club.

"Needs some maintenance"

emgksg's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

The crabgrass has taken over the aprons around the greens. Inconsistent green speeds. Not sure what the grass in the rough is either. Bunkers are mostly unplayable. Bermuda tees and fairways are great. Great layout. I think the course just needs some tlc. Staff was nice. No beverage cart. I played the course regularly when it opened in 04, It is nothing like that course. I played with my 70 year old father and heard about the conditions all day.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Hello Eric, we're sorry course conditions were not up to par. We're happy you enjoyed our great layout and friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

"Good value"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017

Nice course at a reasonable rate. Well maintained.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 07/26/2017:

Hi Jimmy, we're pleased you enjoyed our well-maintained course and our friendly staff. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club, we hope to see you again soon!

"Good round"

KELLYDHUGHES's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/23/2017

Course is in good shape, pace of play a little slow, but not too bad. Overall a very good golfing experience.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 08/02/2017:

Hi Kelly, we're happy you enjoyed our good course conditions and an overall good golfing experience. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!

"Very Attentive Staff"

Michael4537214's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

This is a great course and I was a bit surprised at the rate for a Saturday at 9AM. The staff is really phenomenal, on a very hot day they made sure all golfers were hydrated and even brought out cold towels.

It's a long course that has actual tee boxes for every skill level (none of this red tee box in a fairway). There was maybe 1 or 2 greens and a handful of bunkers that weren't in great condition but other than that everything is in phenomenal condition. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 07/28/2017:

Hi Michael, we're happy you enjoyed our phenomenal customer service and course conditions. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club, we hope to see you again soon!

"Fun course!!"

aahbrew's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2017

Very fun course. My only gripe is the back nine is very quirky in that you can get penalized for hitting a good drive with downhill or sidehill lies often. Overall still enjoy the course but knowing yardage to certain lies on that back nine is key.

Response from Cannon Ridge Golf Club on 07/26/2017:

Hi Bruce, we're happy you enjoyed our fun and challenging layout. Thank you for playing Cannon Ridge Golf Club!