TPC Harding Park - Harding Course

3.7402000000 3.7 stars from 5 (127)

• 99 Harding Rd, San Francisco, California 94132, San Francisco County
  • www.tpc.com/tpc-harding-park-golf

Year built: 1925
Architect(s): Willie Watson (1925), Sam Whiting (1925), Chris Gray (2003)
Type: Public

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: No
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No

Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Proper golf attire.
Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Championship 72 7169 yards 74.3 129

Average Rating 3.7 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive near the airport   Great for walkers locals a weekend splurge   Challenges include thick rough bunkers plays long   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks patio dining

"Go play TPC Harding Park"

golf1970's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

This course has a lot to offer, appropriate tee box distance disparity, open fairways, good greens, strategic shoots...etc. If you like warm sunny condition, be sure to monitor the forecast, given its location, it is often overcast and cool-to-chilly. All-in-all it is a must play.

"Not worth $85+"

rjs15's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

Don't get me wrong, this course is really nice and in great shape, but if you're not a SF or county resident, it's way over priced. The twilight fee for a non-resident was $87 and as someone else mentioned in another review, the price should really be around $50.

The back 9 was significantly narrower and more challenging than the front 9. Pace of play really slowed down when a group seemed to have started on the back 9 with one bag for two players, one of whom appeared to be giving his son lessons. I was also surprised to see random people just walking the cart path and it sounded like there was a firing range down the hill.

Worth it if you can get a discount.

"don't pay full price"

norblewan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2017
First time playing Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Played 5/2/17. Fun track, not terribly challenging. Not sure if they had alot of rain before I was there but the fairways were quite shaggy. I would also recommend walking - very walkable course and the day I played was cart path only for riders even though it had been sunny and dry for 4 days previous. They obviously charge a premium because of the pedigree of the course. Understandable, but between the conditions, the underwhelming clubhouse, and no range facility (I believe that is just a temporary thing for May 2017), I would hesitate to recommend this course for more than $100. It's a nice muni. Value imo is at about $50-75.

"Harding Park"

aadams4980's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/20/2017

Play course while it rained most of the afternoon. Fairways were immaculate and greens fast but a little grainy. It was certainly a treat even with the rain. I would certainly recommend as a must play but only with a GolfNow purchase.

"great shape"

janetfimmel's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/03/2017

Harding Park is in great shape right now. The rough is cut back nicely and the course was not wet and muddy like many bay area courses right now. Greens were rolling nicely.

"Great course"

AlvaroBofill's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/22/2017
Walked Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Great course. It's lay out is very well thought and makes it challenging taking advantage of the hills. Greens were a little bit irregular in speed because of the rainy weeks before our play. Walking the course is a must and makes you enjoy the awesome views. Congratulations to the staff.

"Harding- Worth every penny!"

Greg2059032's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2017

Got a great deal and used my bonus promo code. Sky was sunny, temp was warm. Starter added me to a group of three and there was an instant mutual respect for each other's games. We were somewhat disparate in skill levels and yet the day was so nice, the course was in great shape, that everyone was in a very thankful mood that it was not raining. We used "winter rules" (MARK, lift, clean and replace). The greens rolled true speed wise and break wise. I just had a fantastic time. Shot decently enough for not having played in two and a half weeks(during the storms). Will love going back!

"Solid layout; very close to San Francisco!"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/24/2017
First time playing Walked Windy weather

TPC Harding Park was a very enjoyable round! I showed up to San Francisco without thinking I'd play any golf. I didn't have golf shoes or my clubs but after 5 days straight of rain and a perfect sunny day, I decided last minute to see if I could play.

I showed up after booking a great deal on Golfnow.com for a 11:30AM tee time after 5 days of rain. The course was definitely wet but the sun was out. I wore non-golf Nike running shoes and rented Titleist clubs from the pro shop for $50 flat, which included 2 sleeves of Velocity Titleist balls and a bag of tees (check their website for club rental options). I chose S-flex for the rentals. No mixing and matching. (I usually use Reg in my irons and Stiff in my woods.)

Some of the previous reviews said the staff was unpleasant. I had the opposite feeling. They were very accommodating and were patient when I wanted to feel out the different iron sets. The range was down as storms ripped a hole in the net. Off to the first tee.

Started out on Hole #10 first, which is the more scenic 9-holes. Starter was great and allowed me to join a group 20 minutes earlier. The course set up is awesome btw. The trees shape the holes beautifully. It's very close to some active streets but once you swing by Lake Merced on your left, the course is gorgeous. Across the Lake is Olympia, a private club.

The course played wet and I lost a ball which should have just missed the fairway as they were plugging. Not bad though, but very wet in some areas (like I said... 5 days of rain). Greens were slow. Seems to be a common thread among other reviews as well. Slow but runs true, I would say.

There's a police gun range very close by. You do hear gun shots echo throughout the course but it's not off putting at all. Some reviews have said it bothered them. It did not affect my game at all. Pace of play was solid - finished in just over 4 hours.

Hole #18 is the signature hole and it is a lot of fun. I hit a perfect tee ball onto the leftside of the fairway with a 5-iron into the wind which I needed to draw. Barely got it onto the green and left me a 60-footer for birdie. 3-putted for bogey, but hey, I got there in 2 into the wind! Beautiful hole.

I'm not sure if it's worth $200 to play without a better deal. I played from the white tees and it was not that difficult of a course. I have a 8 handicap. But the holes were good looking and I had fun with my 3 playing partners. They rode carts for a cart-path only rule, which is in effect 100% of the time, not just rainy days. I walked as I wanted to experience the course since it will host the 2020 PGA Championship. This course is not that demanding so we'll see how they change it up for the PGA to make it harder.

"Solid round"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2016
Previously played Walked Cold weather Verified Purchaser

Harding is holding up really well. It's well taken care of and provides plenty of challenge. Cold day with a frost delay.

"TPC HARDING ROCKS"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/19/2016
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Absolutely perfect weather. Was my son's Bday and a glorious outing at a course that I last played in the 1970's.

"A Course Worth Playing"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/03/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

First time playing this course. Been wanting to play it for a long time but way too expensive for non-residents. Got a great deal from GolfNow so I took it. My deal included a cart but I walked it, a course that is very easy to walk. Fairways, greens and traps were in excellent shape. The rough was tough but not that bad. It is a beautiful course and one of the best muni courses you will ever play. It played a little long for me on a couple of holes because I don't have the length that I used to have. I had lunch before I teed off and the price was very reasonable. One final note. I can still remember the first time I ever stepped foot on this golf course, it was in 1998 and I stepped out of my car and onto one of the fairways, they were using this course as a parking lot for the U.S.Open at the Olympic Club just across the street, my how times have changed, for the good of course.

"Harding has something great for everyone"

jmsasmith's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Normally 5 stars, but the slowness of the greens dropped it back a bit...

I play Harding every 6-9 months and it is something our group of guys does as fun day trip from the South Bay. We had a blast yesterday (Monday) even after the 2.5" of rain over the weekend. We started at 12:20 and ended at 4:50. No waiting after the 3rd hole for the most part and the foursome behind us never waited on us. The course was in very good condition considering the rain, but because they couldn't mow, it played much longer than normal and the greens were very slow. The best part of the course is that it requires the ability to cut and draw the ball as well as hit low and high shots. Not your typical Muni course to say the least. We had a great time!

On a side note, Harding is much more enjoyable if you walk rather than ride because it is cart path only and the terrain is gentle outside of a couple of holes.

"harding park"

dentist123's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in good shape and once the staff got one of the groups ahead of us moving the pace of play was improved.

"One of the best courses I have ever played"

PirateGolfer86's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/18/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is one of the best courses I have ever played. Reminds me so much of Olympic (Lake) and Lake Merced. Beautiful piece of property and great routing along the water. Hard to believe it is a muni.

Conditions were good, greens were slow (but receptive). Fairways were shaggy but nice. Bunkers are fair and have consistent sand. Rounds can get slow on the weekends.

"Love affair with a muni"

jiggygolf's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Good weather

I play Harding every time I visit the Bay Area. I wish the non-resident fee wasn't so high but I gladly pay it every time. The conditions were excellent, especially the fairways. I think I'm actually in love with the fairways. The course tends to play long especially that brute of a par 4 in the back. You'll know. But the layout is fun and challenging. I chose to walk even with the cart included in the non resident fee. I'll keep coming back.

"Long Time Fan of Harding Park"

Milton1836292's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2016
Previously played Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

I have been playing this course since it was a run down muni. Back when 6 hour rounds were the norm. Since the renovation many years back, its been a chore to get a tee time and this was probably my fifth or sixth round since. I'm not sure what non-residents pay, but $78 for a resident is a great deal, considering I pay close to that for other courses that aren't even close to being as nice, such as Crystal Springs. The day I played, the greens were close to fully healed from the aeration process. You could still see them but it didn't effect the roll of the ball. It was also nice to see the rough was a manageable height. The last time I played there, it was set up for the PGA and that wasn't fun. The pace was excellent even on a Saturday. We never had to wait for any of our shots, except for one hole. It went smoothly and we finished a tad over 4 hours.

Many people gripe about the carts being cart paths only and I have to agree. They have carts that are GPS equipped yet you have to stay on the cart path. That doesn't make much sense at all. It pretty much negates the GPS. Not only that, you almost tend to walk just as much with a cart. I ended up walking that day and its really not a bad walk. The course is relatively flat and the greens are all pretty close to the next tee box except from 9 to 10 and a few others.

I love this course. With this drought, its tough to find a course that doesn't have its rough patches and being in a part of the city where it tends to be foggy and moisture, this course was actually in pretty good condition. There were some brown spots here and there but thats to be expected.

"Can't beat a Hot Deal at TPC Harding Park!"

jeffinMDR's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/31/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Always love playing TPC Harding Park - but hate the cart path only rules that keep the course in such great shape. Double-edged sword there! It might be one of those situations where it seemed it was faster to walk the course than to ride it - but all depends on your viewpoint. You tend to almost plan your shot making so that your shots are near the cart path! Course was in great shape and can't wait to go back!

"Good public course,"

Ravi6940639's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2016

Harding Park Golf course is good public course. The world golf championship was played there last year. The greens were being aired so there was lot of sand. It is expensive to play there on a regular basis.

"They should be embarrassed - course is overpriced for what you get"

jdiamond7's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Average weather

TPC Harding Park is a beautiful golf course. The layout and bunkering is really quite nice. I take issue with a few things, and some are quite major.

1) Many of the greens have trees nearby. On a windy San Francisco day, straw/pine needles falls off the trees and onto the greens. Many of the greens were unplayable as they were. They needed someone to vacuum and keep the greens in good shape

2) For $100+, you should be throwing in the cart and range balls. Maybe price it differently and make it $130 all in, but it leaves such a bad vibe when you pay your greens fees and then are told that the range takes credit cards. And you're hitting off mats, not grass! Course is very walk-able btw - a cart was not necessary.

3) Sand wasn't light and fluffy like at other TPC courses (played both Scottsdale courses) - traps here were pretty hard.

4) There was a raccoon running around near the 10th tee. Probably best if you could keep those away.

On the whole, it's a shame. This could be a wonderful facility if it were kept right. As it was, it's grossly overpriced. Too many good options in the area. I won't be returning here.

"Old golfer-high handicap"

BigD2013's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather

I was afraid that I wouldn't enjoy this difficult course, but when I asked the starter for advice, he suggested that I just hit the fairways and play my game. Surprising I shot my handicap and had a 30+ mph windy wonderful day . If you hit fairways and can chip and putt, you'll enjoy this course. Highly recommended as a must play.