Shoal Creek Golf Course

GPS: Yes

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: Yes

Dress code: Proper attire must be worn at all times. Collared shirts required for men and proper golf attire for women. No jeans or jean shorts allowed.
Credit cards accepted: Yes

Black (W) 71 4759 yards 67.1 112

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city near the airport worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals entertaining clients   Challenges include bunkers elevation changes water hazards   Great for drinks watching the game

"Cool Layout, Fun Track"

Jernest3030's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/15/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Took advantage of an afternoon of excellent weather to go walk 18 at Shoal Creek. I can say that I was thoroughly impressed with nearly every aspect of this course.

To start, the layout is excellent. Mixing short, narrow holes with long, wide ones makes this course a true test of all aspects of your game. Shoal Creek also gives a nice mixture of tree lined holes and more open, plains style holes.

The conditions were about as good as can be expected during this time of year. Everything was a bit soggy, but it didn't take away from the quality of play. The one drawback that I have about the conditions was that the greens seemed to be cut to inconsistent lengths on a few holes, but that was just a very slight takeaway.

Overall, I was very impressed with Shoal Creek. The excellent overall layout mixed with the wonderful conditions (and great weather) made for a great afternoon.

"Nice Course"

sstevens7's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I purchased a "hot deal" tee time and paid less than half the price of normal rates. This was my first time playing here and it was about a 45 minute drive for me to the course from my home in Tonganoxie. I mainly made the trip because of the great rate and positive reviews the course has been getting this year. First off, my experience was hindered due to the extreme winds on the day I played. Besides the wind, this course makes you work for your score. Greens have good break in them and fairways were in good shape. Tee boxes could have been better as far as them being level. I really had to search for a spot on most of the tee boxes for the most level lie; we played from the blue tees. Bunkers have decent sand in them and are well manicured/maintained. I would have liked to see a little more sand in the bunkers; especially with what they are charging their members here for their seasonal membership rates (meaning they should have plenty of revenue to pull from to spend a little more on sand). The facility itself is top notch. The golf carts all had GPS in them and to my surprise they were accurate (checked via my laser range finder). Overall I liked the course; however, there was not anything super special in this course to warrant the longer drive for me to return. Thank you and best of luck!

"Greens"

GoingLowJoe's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Front 9 greens had strips of sod missing around the entire circumference. Made for a tough time around the greens on approaches and chips near the green.

"Great Course"

Naftali9063056's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

I played this course because it had some great reviews here, and it did not disappoint.

Everything about this course is as a course should be. Tees, fairways and greens were in great shape. I found the course challenging, but not too difficult. Between the doglegs, some lengthy holes and some with narrow landing areas for tee shots, it was a fun course to play. The final four holes here are really nice and send you home on such a high note.

I highly recommend this course for golfers of all abilities and I would definitely play here again.

Babs90's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/15/2017

"Excellent Course"

Casey5574380's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/10/2017

This course was fun to play, the people were very friendly. I was coming from Iowa so I played this course because it had the best reviews. I was not disappointed. I would definitely recommend this course.

"Great Course"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

Great course! love playing here.

Cant believe a course this nice doesn't have windshields on their carts though...

merlin2556's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/18/2017

"Great course"

mpl8570's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/17/2017

This is a great place to play. We played it twice in two days. Great staff, and a great layout.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/27/2017

RockStar88's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/17/2017

"Always a great time!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/05/2017

Shoal Creek is always a great course to play. We jumped on a hot deal from Golfnow.com. Anytime you can get in a round during the winter season is a plus. Sunny with temps around 50 and light winds made for an excellent round of golf with friends. The grass is still dormant but the crew has been at work around the course. I couldn't believe how many trees have been taken down. None that affect your shots but around greens and between holes. It's going to let more light and wind in. I'm anxious to get back during the summer season to see the full effect. 5 stars to the staff. They are always so friendly and helpful.

"MN senior"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/29/2017

Left Minneapolis western suburbs 7 a.m. Sunday morning... teed off at Shoal Creek @ 1:30 p.m. Played Winterstone on Monday. I give both courses 4 star ratings. They're both on par with Links of Northfork or Willingers in the Minneapolis area (Rush Creek = 5 star). What fun it was for a Minnesota boy to get in a couple rounds the end of January. I'll be back!

"Fun"

JoeBobbitt816's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

Fun, go play it. Play fast.

"Top notch Northland course"

Scott6527624's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Aside from an abundance of leaves, the course was nearly perfect. The rough was high, but you're not supposed to be in the rough. Errant tee shots paid the price yesterday. I still shot 82 despite a couple of doubles due to lost balls in the rough. Stay in play and the course isn't terrible difficult. I recommend playing from the tips unless you like playing driver wedge all day. A friendly deer visited on the front 9. Played 18 holes in 3 hours and 45 minutes. Despite the course being "full" according to the starter.

"Great layout, uninterested staff, BRUTAL greens"

cbreu89's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/03/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I played this course on a golfnow deal, paid $30. Was extremely excited to play it based on the ratings that had been given previously, and the rating that it was a top 5 course in Missouri. A must play, right?

I must say, the course layout is excellent. It is a very challenging and well laid out course, with excellent amenities. The carts had GPS which made navigating holes with blind spots very easy to make sure to not hit into groups in front of us. However, that was an issue constantly as the marshalls didn't control pace of play, as there were no marshalls on the course. One gentleman in the group in front of us probably shot 120+, but treated every shot as if he was in the final group of the masters. Teed off a little before 1, finished just before 7. Absolutely brutal in terms of pace of play, largely as a result of an uninterested or non-existent staff.

The course layout has a lot of promise, but the place that really matters is the greens. They have not been cared for in probably months, and were essentially unplayable in many locations. I stopped keeping score as a result of the greens. This is extremely noticeable on the 18th green, with a majority of the surrounding parts of the green covered in some sort of substance resembling sand, with the fringe on the left-hand side being 100% mud. Playing into it with a half pitch shot resulted in my ball being completely buried less than a yard off of the start of the green. Absolutely unacceptable for a course of the prestige given by the reviewers here.

I traveled to come play this course as a result of the rankings on a few sites, and left extremely disappointed. I will not be playing this course again.

"Greens are BRUTAL"

EerFanInOtown's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

I flew into KC last weekend for my annual Fantasy Football Draft. We have played there before on several occasions. Anyway, although the rest of the course was in good condition (Zoysia fairways, etc.), the greens were terrible. Not a place I would recommend at the moment. very bad greens.

"Great Course for $30"

BPH4LIFE's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/12/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was a steal for $30. The carts were equipped with GPS. The Tee Boxes, Fairways, etc were in great shape. The ball sat up perfectly in the fairway. They only area of improvement were the greens. They were great sized greens just very bumpy, tons on unrepaired divots, and SLOW. Most holes felt secluded from the rest. Hodge Park is literally across the street from Shoal Creek so if you want to play 36 at two different courses, this cannot be beat.

"Very enjoyabe course to play"

dgisel's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/21/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Poor weather Verified Purchaser

My friends and I enjoy this course. It is in excellent shape, the staff is very friendly and the course is challenging, but not brutal. It was a very hot day, but we kept hydrated and stayed in the shade when we could.

"Shoal Creek par 3 and 5s"

Jmarquess's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/20/2016

Wonderful rolling course with multiple doglegs. 3 of the 4 par 3s are over 200 from the tips and 2 of the 3 par 5s stretch to

over 600 yards. Great course and despite 98 degree heat and humidity, in pretty good shape. Will definitely play it again.

"WHY SUCH AWFUL GREENS???"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Well, yet again, we are totally baffled & disappointed. Have played this course many times over the years, but had not been there for quite a while-bad exchanges with pro shop, egregiously overpriced, pace of play, to name 3 issues...but wanted to give it a try for only $22 on GolfNow. Great timing, as there was hardly anyone there for once, and once we got out on the course, we were amazed that there is EVER anyone there...there is NO excuse for this type of course-with great tee boxes, and pretty good fairways, to have the WORST greens we have set foot on in years. Not only that, but MANY areas around many greens were filled in with VERY poor patchwork looking strips of non-matching grass. I/we would LOVE to meet many of the golfers who have left glowing reviews, just to find out why they think course conditions like this are acceptable, because they are NOT! And totally baffling that this course charges over $70 (including tax) on weekends, and people are actually paying it! And yes, I know what I am talking about because I got a $170 refund from the Kapalua Bay course, as apparently they were so stunned I complained they had no idea what to do! But if you are VERY easy to please, and don't mind throwing money away, then, yes, you will be thrilled with your round at Shoal Creek...