The Golf Club at Summerbrooke

Architect(s): Dean Refram
Type: Semi-Private

Clubs: No

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Location is in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for locals advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views   Challenges include narrow fairways elevation changes water hazards   Great for drinks

"Great Day"

Ldrrein's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2017

I went out and played at Summerbrooke today. The improvement of the course was amazing . The fair sways were awesome., the green very puttable, a little slow. It's the best layout in town. I would recommend giving it a try!

"Under-maintained and unfriendly staff"

darryldavidson's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/15/2017

The course was muddy from poor drainage, had numerous unmarked hazards, and was crowded into the surrounding development. It started raining a few holes in and wasn't stopping in the foreseeable future. I went to the pro shop to ask for a rain check for the back. The staff tried to convince me to play in the rain, sell me an umbrella, and make any excuse they could so that they wouldn't have to give me a raincheck. After talking for about 10 minutes the staff decided that I could not receive credit for the remaining holes because I "just wanted to quit". They were not helpful, they were scornful, and I will not play here again.

Course Layout: Poor

"Making a comeback"

u254682092's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Played expecting the course conditions to be subpar from everything I had read. I was happily surprised. Fairways were great. Greens were pretty dang good considering how bad they were 1-2 years ago. Most of the tee boxes were good, some needed work. Some great holes on his course. The Devil's Elbow kicked my butt. Great time playing. I will definitely be back.

"Needs some TLC"

ShankasaurusRex's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

Recently took them up on the golf membership, based on the price for 18 w/ a cart. Have played it five times since April 1st. Here's the deal. The course itself has to be one of the most narrow courses in Tallahassee, but also seems to be the shortest. Hit driver on only three holes, rest of them was an iron off the tee. The layout is great, with plenty of things to consider on each shot. Nos. 5, 9, 14 & 16 are my favorite holes. Fairways are in good shape overall, with the exception of a noticeable bit of clay on the landing zone of #10. It is my understanding the greens have been abused time and again, and it shows. I rolled six or seven putts from 10+ feet that hopped up, down, right and left more than a rabbit on a caffeine binge. They need lots of help. The tee boxes aren't as bad, but a couple of them are a little beat up too. The thing that was most surprising to me was the quality and condition of the traps. Luckily I didn't spend any time in them, but the bunkers out there (with the exception of two) are an eye sore. If the ownership/management would find a way to gather the cash needed to truly fix the problems, and understand that it would probably be a few years before showing the profit they want to consider it a worthy investment; this place would be GREAT. Field of Dreams....... Oh, and the practice range seems like an afterthought at this point.

"Grumpy Old Man"

u007919016's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/16/2017

I've played Summerbrooke many times. I've seen it at it's best and worst. Right now it's somewhere in the middle. The course is maintained well and looks nice from a distance, however, the greens just don't have much grass right now. Was still an enjoyable round all in all as we were the ONLY people on the course. The absolute worst feature of the course is the old curmudgeon that works at the check-in desk. He is a complete jagon.

"great course"

grassguru1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

The greens were the best I have played.. The last review stating the greens were awful is totally incorrect.. The picture is not even at Summerbrooke.. Its from Quincy

Commented on 04/24/2017

If these are the best greens you've ever played, I would assume it was the only time you've ever played.

"Awful greens"

G8trh8tr's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2017

Went in with high expectations as we heard the course was much improved. The greens are awful, just horrendous. Patches of bare turf and other areas that look likr they are under repair , this is on the greens!!!! The fairways are in fair shape and the layout is challenging , but the greens are very disappointing. Plus it took 20 minutes to get four hot dogs at 12 noon, and they weren't even grilled or cooked on a flat top. Spend your money at Hilaman or FSU or at Quincy !!

Commented on 04/16/2017

The person who wrote this comment has no idea what they are talking about.. The greens at Summerbrooke are great.. The picture posted was not taken a Summerbrooke

"Loved the course"

yourboydrew's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/02/2017
Used cart Perfect weather

Summerbrooke Country Club has improved a lot in the past year. When I first started playing at Summerbrooke it was an alright course, but it needed improvements. Now that the improvements have been made it is one of my favorite courses in Tallahassee. Summerbrooke is a great course and I have loved playing golf at Summerbrooke this past year. The employees at Summerbrooke were amazing. The employees were always there to help me when I could not figure out where to go, and what to get on the menu. Summerbrooke is overall a great course that I recommend for all golfers.

"This course has excellent features"

chobbs8's avatar
Age:  Under 25

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/28/2016

The course looks great. The greens look fantastic. By far one of the best courses in Tallahassee.

"Much improved course--- holes 15, 16, and 17 are so much fun!"

jwalla129's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2016
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

I last played this course in May 2015 and the course is much improved from then. This past year, Summerbrooke completely redid their greens, so it has taken time for them to grow in and become playable. The greens are much, much better than when I played in 2015 (they were basically just sand at that time) and I would say they are about 80% to being up to par. Most of the greens were fairly good and no issue with putting, but there were a few greens that the fringe had some sand showing, but nothing that I was too terribly worried about. I would say in a few months, Summerbrooke will looking amazing and the hard work they have put forth is easy to see.

I enjoy the bunkers at this course as they are a harder type of soil, so pretty easy to hit out of. Also this course does not have 3 bunkers on each hole and that makes it much more enjoyable to me. There are a few holes that have water, so just be aware and bring a few extra balls just in case. The fairways were the nicest part of the course. Green, lush, and no weeds. Tee boxes were not as good and the ground was pretty hard, but that is somewhat typical to the type of soil in the area. This course has the best 3 holes in Tallahassee and you really need to come out to enjoy them. Holes 15,16, and 17 are really enjoyable and an interesting variety of par 3s and 4s. I highly recommend coming out if you haven't been here in a few months/years to see the progress they have made!

"Amazing Expirience"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/01/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

After coming back to Summerbrooke nearly a year later, the changes and improvements were undeniable. I am not one to write reviews but once I saw The Golf Club at Summerbrooke I had to write something for all the efforts the staff and management have made. I live too far for a membership but if not I would be signed up!

"What a change"

Jlawlor's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

For those who haven't played Summerbrooke in a while, it's time to come back. Course has been completely refurbished, with great greens, fairways, tee boxes and such. The ownership and management has brought this great track back to life, and to top it off, the staff in the clubhouse and grill were as good as could be. Next time I'm back in Tallahassee, Summerbrooke will certainly be on my "to do" list again. Great job to all there, it was a great round (although my score could have used some help).

"Course looks great!!"

Sunnylam's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/21/2016

The course looks great! If you have not played here in a while or are new to the area you owe it to yourself to play at Summerbrooke. The best lay out in town and management is working hard to get it in great shape. Great value and great time!

"Jaw dropping improvements!"

jsteve2221's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Average weather

Played this course last year when it was undergoing renovations. Came back to Tallahassee not too long ago and the course was in outstanding shape. Love to see that things turned around like they did. All greens and tee boxes were the best I had ever seen them.

"15-16-17"

Harley1948's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/25/2016

I love the layout. There a number of places on the course that needs repair. However, there are a lot of challenging holes. I play here only when I'm passing through Tallahassee. The primary reason I play this course is because of holes 15-16-17. So much fun!!!

"Course in state of renovation"

MCDave01's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2016
First time playing Walked Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Never played this course before so I can not speak to its historical condition. Was not aware greens were basically nonexistent as they are being completely re-done - were mostly sand and overseed when we played. But the value was still decent and the layout was tight and varying. Devils Elbow (was either holes 14-16, or 15-17) were extremely challenging, beginning with a par 3 over a ravine from an elevated tee box. Accuracy is key on this course. There are some opportunities to hit it long, but placement golf rules the round.

"Poor Greens"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/15/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Verified Purchaser

Overall the course was in decent shape. However, the greens were terrible. This course should'nt be charging premium prices when it's greens are such bad shape.

"Mama said if you don't have anything good to say..."

Robert8756950's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2015

Call before you book to see if the greens are open. All greens were closed so you play to some short grass in front of the green. You don't need your putter. Worst part was two of the three signature holes were closed. When the greens are available I can envision this being a pretty good course. But honestly now is not the time to play here unless you want to work on your club distances and chipping.

"18 Temporary Greens"

mroach011's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/29/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 9 holes Fair weather

I payed to play 18, but only hung in there for 9. They honestly have much work to do on the course, and probably should either close all together until the renovations are completed, or put up an extreme warning about conditions. I have never played a course where they put in 18 temporary greens...and there were other condition issues on the remainder of the course, that just made it unpleasant. Sorry staff, I know the comments are bad, but you have the power to make it better.

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Absolutely worst course in Florida"

cbrice89's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2015

I would rather walk on glass at my step-nephew's bar mitzvah than play this course for free during 72 degree weather