Tilden Park Golf Course

3.5482000000 3.5 stars from 5 (197)

GPS: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Average Rating 3.5 stars from 5

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive near local attractions   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways undulating greens   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks patio dining

"Slowest Round in my history ( 200+ rounds)"

simonque's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

going out on a saturday at noon is a 5 hour + round, that I know. 3.5 hours for 9 holes, 3 group back up on 2,3,5,7.

The worst part was not leaving on 15 but when I went to the pro shop to return a license I found the counter person just said to my longest round ever.. we know...

NO MARSHALL or employee once came by to indicate that it was just slow and not some idiot who was 3 holes behind and apparently the pro shop is so clueless how to maintain pace they didn't slow down the pace. I will probably go back but a lot of people won't which will be good for future pace of play.

Nothing like leaving after 6 hours and not finishing.

"Great deal"

boston93430's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

Beautiful area, paid $30 with a cart! Phones weren't working so we couldn't call in an order at the turn but one of the best deals around

"Fun Course, Terrible PoP"

jameswoj's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017

Pace of Play (PoP):

I feel the need to review the PoP first and foremost because it was SO BAD. So bad in fact, that we only got through 10 holes before calling the pro shop and requesting a 9-hole credit/rain check so that we could come back another time (not sure if we will though). The front 9/10 took 3.5 hours to play...THREE AND A HALF HOURS! We were on pace for a 6-7 hour 18. On nearly every hole there was a three group pile up (we pulled up to the tee and there was one group on the tee and one watching). On the THIRD hole, we were backed-up FOUR groups (one on the green, one on the fairway, one on the tee, and our group watching). At this point, we called the pro shop and a marshal came out...they tried, I know they did because I talked to them and saw it, but of course, nothing changed and no one sped up. Not the staff's fault at all, just stubborn patrons. It completely ruined the day.

The Course:

The PoP was a shame because Tilden Park is a hidden gem tucked away in the hills of Berkely. It reminds me of a mountain course in Lake Tahoe...BIG elevation changes (both up and down) huge trees lining the fairways, a cool breeze blowing throughout the day, lush green grass. The course is beautiful and was in great shape when we played. For the average golfer (HC 15+) this course is rather difficult because of the elevation changes and so many shots where the ball is either above or below your feet. There are also a few narrow holes as well as a lot of holes that have blind shots. If it's your first time playing, be careful. Download an app with GPS so you can see what you should be aiming at.

Don't be fooled by the overall short length of the course. The elevation changes add/subtract a lot of "hidden" yardage that will really test your club selection. Also, don't play the blues unless you are good/long enough to do so...this was one of the main reasons why the PoP was so bad. You aren't more of a man because you hit from the blues...you just look like a dope when you can't hit the green (or get even close to it) on the VERY long par 3's on this course (all but one are over 200 yards). A good rule of thumb, if you are hitting a driver on any of those par 3's and still coming up 30 yards short, you should be playing the whites. We won't think any less of you.

The Phone Line/Pro Shop/Cafe:

You may be asking yourself, "The phone line? What does that have to do with anything?" Well, let me tell you. If you call the phone number, don't expect to get through on the first, second, third, or even fourth attempt. You get disconnected constantly and the connection once you finally reach the switchboard cuts out every other word (and this is not because of poor cell reception). Once you finally do reach someone, pray that you don't get disconnected and you have to call back. That happened to us three times.

The staff was friendly in the pro shop. They answered our questions and of course gave us a credit for 9 holes, which was very much appreciated. We would have preferred a cash refund for the loss of time but what can you do? The cafe was pretty limited. We could only order deli sandwiches at the turn because we couldn't call our order in ahead (because of the terrible phone line).

Will I go back?

Maybe. I'm still on the fence. I will recommend it to friends but with the caveat that they MUST play before 8. I'd like to see the back 9 because it looks fun and challenging. The only way I'll go back is if I tee off before 8AM. Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

By the way, the views of the ENTIRE bay that you'll see on the drive up to the course are spectacular. Stop and take a picture if you can.

markparadine's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

pro shop and starter folks were real nice. i suggest they should review cart rules and tell players whether or not a marshal is on the course. the charity location on the seventh hole t-box is manned by a real nice guy too. course bunkers were in good shape with adequate sand

"Hidden Treasure"

Chasholein1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

I was very impressed how well kept the course was.

I needed the challenge and experience of playing on sloped fareways. I got both! It was a perfect day of golf. Very friendly staff. I will be back soon.

"Sunday Round"

qwd222's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Course was in decent shape. It's a little better than a muni and the price was right. Staff was friendly. Pace was a little slow on the front nine as there was no Marshall on the course to move the group in front of us faster. The only complaint I would have is that I had 2 carts go dead on me. Fortunately I was near the club house both times. I would go back again. The course rating should be a little higher as it's very tight and challenging on quite a few holes.

Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/05/2017

"Very poor condition"

kenogren's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/21/2017

This is normally a very god and plauable course. The day we played, even though the weather was sunny and dry, the course was a bit boggy. Unfortunately the ground keepers somehow could not get to cut either the fairways or the rough. This made it unplayable.

We'll try again another day.

"Bad"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather

Horrible conditions. Played here multiple time this winter and every time I've played there has been at least three holes where you are hitting off a mat. If you hit it in to the rough your ball plugs 1/3 of the time making it impossible to find. Would stick away until July.

"stay away until the course recovers from winter rains"

gregory1261408's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Tilden can be a very enjoyable round but currently it's a total disaster. Tee boxes needing to be fully rebuilt, greens have just been punched, the drainage overall still very wet. Definitely avoid this course until the rains fully end and then give it a couple weeks at least to dry out.

"Golf Now Warnings?"

stilesg's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

Please understand the context - we were first out at Tilden on Masters Sunday after a very rainy couple of days - so we expected the sogginess - what we did not expect was the restoration of 2 tee boxes (where reds/whites/blues on holes 14 and 15 were teeing off driving rage mats) or the GREENS TO BE PUNCHED AND LOOK LIKE SAND TRAPS. Look I have played Tilden 20 - 25 times and I know I am playing a Muni - but when I booked the tee time there was not an aerification warning. Pretty messed up...

"stay away"

sanders13's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

first off let me say Tilden is one of my favorite tracks but, atay away from it right now. They charged us full rate for aerated greens full of sand along with 6-7 tee boxes closed with hitting off a mat only selection. Tilden is a great layout but right now its a huge joke. Also we had a 624 time and the pro shop didnt open til 630

"Poor Course Maintenance"

Montano09's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/27/2017

The fairways were overgrown and was like hitting out of the rough, the course was poorly maintained. Poor drainage at this course, lost numerous balls in the middle of the "fairway" due to plugging. They removed the call box on the 9th to order food and cell coverage does not exist at this course, so couldn't order food for the turn. My suggestion is to put the call box back and cut the grass. This used to be a better course.

"Hammered by rain"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/11/2017

Course was an absolute swamp. Needs a couple of months to dry out. Pace of play was awful. Front nine took over three hours so we quit at the turn. The course did however, prorate us and gave us a credit.

drahn83's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/18/2017
Previously played Used cart Cold weather

"Hitting of rubber mats!"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/01/2017

Scenery is breathtaking . Course was extremely wet and a lot of make shift tee boxes.

"Course was in terriblre shape"

javiercortez63's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2016
Used cart Cold weather Verified Purchaser

One of the worst days golfing. Course was soaking wet even though it hasn't rained much in the last two weeks. The whole course was soggy and like playing in jello.

"Slow and wet"

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/30/2016
First time playing Used cart Wet weather

We played on a Wednesday afternoon. It was drizzling/light rain. Everything you hit seemed to plug. How did the course get this wet? It's like playing in a bog. The threesome and foursome in front of us played super slow. No one seemed to be familiar with the concept of "Ready Golf". It was more like: stop your cart in line with the ball; get out to find the ball; walk back to the cart for club selection; walk back across the fairway to play the ball; walk back to cart for a leisurely cleaning of the club; drive to next ball location. This was my first and last time playing this swamp.

"Overbooked, under planned"

TomBollinger's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/06/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

The course is nice and challenging as it utilizes the hills, valleys and tall trees to setup a course in the hills of Berkeley.

As for my round today, it was unpleasant and ruined my overall experience. Here are just some of the issues I had with this course today:

- Tee time delayed 1 hour

- Pace of play slow and compounded by hour delay and lack of marshal on course

- Not enough carts, had to SHARE a cart even though I booked as a single

- Course very very wet. I can't blame this too much on them considering the location and abundance of tall trees blocking sunlight.

- Tee box not clearly or easily marked or identified

- "Golf cart path only" today which only slowed down the pace more after the 1 hour delay.

The course has a lot of potential and given the fact that it's not an "easy" course, the spacing between groups should be more than it currently is. I heard the weekday play is better and weekends seem to be the worst. Unfortunately my first experience was not what I anticipated and ultimately will be how I remember the course.

"Great course. Plenty of challenging holes."

scottdbarker's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/05/2016

With all the rain last week the course was wet in places, but not fairways or greens. 5-hour mid-day pace on Saturday wasn't bad. I'll be back!