Tilden Park Golf Course

GPS: Yes

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive near local attractions   Great for wildlife/ scenic views locals advanced golfers   Challenges include elevation changes narrow fairways undulating greens   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks patio dining

mtzman's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/10/2017

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/27/2017

"Pretty course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/20/2017

Putts are challenging with the heavy moisture on greens. Be careful with your golf cart. I had several spin outs. And after climbing up the 9th hole you have a steep downhill on 10th hole. My cart fish tailed nearly turned on its side and threw me out of the cart. I saw my life flash in front of me.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2017

"Best Golf Value anywhere"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/15/2017

Place is just nuts-beautiful for a public course and the price. The staff, (Randy and others), CARE about your experience...... but the course says it all. Nestled in the forest of Tilden and kept well-enough. Reasonably short but the first hole will, well, just upset you.

Good luck.

"Nary a Flat Lie"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/12/2017

Tilden is a nice course. Great choice when a heat wave hits the area, though other times in the spring and summer an early tee time might run into fog issues with the first two holes which are the highest part of the course. Speaking of the first two holes - what a tough start for the men! 400yd par 4 straight up hill followed by a tight downhill then uphill dogleg left par 4. Of course few holes are breathers. Very few flat lies, or wide straight fairways, but I would not call Tilden "tricked up". It is an old fashioned test, and because the course resides in the Berkeley hills it rarely if ever gets sun-baked so fairway and green conditions are great.

"Unfortunately it was a hot day"

u000002086228's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

The lady in the pro shop was extremely unfriendly. They were running behind so we had to wait for a cart until our tee time. Play was so slow we played nine holes in 3 1/2 hours due to such a hot day we had to call it quits way to much waiting. With no drink cart. Or marshals to keep play moving smooth.

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/14/2017

"Challenging mountain course"

palahicky7's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017

Tilden is challenging with tight fairways, heavy rough and sharp changes in elevation. Golfers who have trouble staying on the fairway will have trouble posting good scores. I enjoyed the challenge. The course was in good shape and the greens rolled true so once you got there, salvaging a decent number was doable. Would play this course again.

"Revived memories of a much younger men"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017

Wow!! It's hard to believe, 38 years since I played Tildon park golf course, NICE!!!! Staff was GREAT!! Course has some really nice changes since I played here last, Tough, challenging, beautiful setting. Made for a Great day out for the "Thursday Golf Thugs" had a Good meal after we played! We will be back soon!! Thanks For The Memories!

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/17/2017

"Tilden"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017

Great course. Just extremely slow play. Too many people thinking they are playing in the US Open. Course was in great shape. Would fix my ball mark and three others on every green. People need to respect the course more. A real gem in a beautiful setting.

"Early Play"

Glennbuy's avatar
Plays:  Once every three months

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/08/2017

6:30am tee off - on time. 2 hours around the front 3 hours around the back. Course in good condition.

"Slowest Round in my history ( 200+ rounds)"

simonque's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather

going out on a saturday at noon is a 5 hour + round, that I know. 3.5 hours for 9 holes, 3 group back up on 2,3,5,7.

The worst part was not leaving on 15 but when I went to the pro shop to return a license I found the counter person just said to my longest round ever.. we know...

NO MARSHALL or employee once came by to indicate that it was just slow and not some idiot who was 3 holes behind and apparently the pro shop is so clueless how to maintain pace they didn't slow down the pace. I will probably go back but a lot of people won't which will be good for future pace of play.

Nothing like leaving after 6 hours and not finishing.

"Less user friendly for short hitters."

lronhaar's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather Verified Purchaser

Played with a good friend and frequent golf partner, for whom 150 yards is a very good drive. We haven't played Tilden in a couple of years. Chose it because it would be cooler than Walnut Creek/Concord area.

Was surprised by the changes that must be part of the Audubon certification. Much of the open areas between fairways are now filled with long grass, as is the first 140 yards or so of many fairways. It makes it very difficult for my friend. We won't be back. I may if I'm playing with someone else, but I won't be in any rush to do so.

"Great deal"

boston93430's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/12/2017

Beautiful area, paid $30 with a cart! Phones weren't working so we couldn't call in an order at the turn but one of the best deals around

"Fun Course, Terrible PoP"

jameswoj's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/11/2017

Pace of Play (PoP):

I feel the need to review the PoP first and foremost because it was SO BAD. So bad in fact, that we only got through 10 holes before calling the pro shop and requesting a 9-hole credit/rain check so that we could come back another time (not sure if we will though). The front 9/10 took 3.5 hours to play...THREE AND A HALF HOURS! We were on pace for a 6-7 hour 18. On nearly every hole there was a three group pile up (we pulled up to the tee and there was one group on the tee and one watching). On the THIRD hole, we were backed-up FOUR groups (one on the green, one on the fairway, one on the tee, and our group watching). At this point, we called the pro shop and a marshal came out...they tried, I know they did because I talked to them and saw it, but of course, nothing changed and no one sped up. Not the staff's fault at all, just stubborn patrons. It completely ruined the day.

The Course:

The PoP was a shame because Tilden Park is a hidden gem tucked away in the hills of Berkely. It reminds me of a mountain course in Lake Tahoe...BIG elevation changes (both up and down) huge trees lining the fairways, a cool breeze blowing throughout the day, lush green grass. The course is beautiful and was in great shape when we played. For the average golfer (HC 15+) this course is rather difficult because of the elevation changes and so many shots where the ball is either above or below your feet. There are also a few narrow holes as well as a lot of holes that have blind shots. If it's your first time playing, be careful. Download an app with GPS so you can see what you should be aiming at.

Don't be fooled by the overall short length of the course. The elevation changes add/subtract a lot of "hidden" yardage that will really test your club selection. Also, don't play the blues unless you are good/long enough to do so...this was one of the main reasons why the PoP was so bad. You aren't more of a man because you hit from the blues...you just look like a dope when you can't hit the green (or get even close to it) on the VERY long par 3's on this course (all but one are over 200 yards). A good rule of thumb, if you are hitting a driver on any of those par 3's and still coming up 30 yards short, you should be playing the whites. We won't think any less of you.

The Phone Line/Pro Shop/Cafe:

You may be asking yourself, "The phone line? What does that have to do with anything?" Well, let me tell you. If you call the phone number, don't expect to get through on the first, second, third, or even fourth attempt. You get disconnected constantly and the connection once you finally reach the switchboard cuts out every other word (and this is not because of poor cell reception). Once you finally do reach someone, pray that you don't get disconnected and you have to call back. That happened to us three times.

The staff was friendly in the pro shop. They answered our questions and of course gave us a credit for 9 holes, which was very much appreciated. We would have preferred a cash refund for the loss of time but what can you do? The cafe was pretty limited. We could only order deli sandwiches at the turn because we couldn't call our order in ahead (because of the terrible phone line).

Will I go back?

Maybe. I'm still on the fence. I will recommend it to friends but with the caveat that they MUST play before 8. I'd like to see the back 9 because it looks fun and challenging. The only way I'll go back is if I tee off before 8AM. Otherwise, it's just not worth it.

By the way, the views of the ENTIRE bay that you'll see on the drive up to the course are spectacular. Stop and take a picture if you can.

markparadine's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/10/2017

pro shop and starter folks were real nice. i suggest they should review cart rules and tell players whether or not a marshal is on the course. the charity location on the seventh hole t-box is manned by a real nice guy too. course bunkers were in good shape with adequate sand

"Hidden Treasure"

Chasholein1's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

I was very impressed how well kept the course was.

I needed the challenge and experience of playing on sloped fareways. I got both! It was a perfect day of golf. Very friendly staff. I will be back soon.

"Sunday Round"

qwd222's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/28/2017
Previously played Used cart Verified Purchaser

Course was in decent shape. It's a little better than a muni and the price was right. Staff was friendly. Pace was a little slow on the front nine as there was no Marshall on the course to move the group in front of us faster. The only complaint I would have is that I had 2 carts go dead on me. Fortunately I was near the club house both times. I would go back again. The course rating should be a little higher as it's very tight and challenging on quite a few holes.