Santa Clara Golf & Tennis Club

3.2002941176 3.2 stars from 5 (174)

• 5155 Stars and Stripes Dr, Santa Clara, California 95054,
  • www.santaclara.americangolf.com

Year built: 1987
Architect(s): Robert Muir Graves
Type: Public
Greens: Bent grass
Fairways: Bent grass

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions near the airport   Great for locals walkers beginners   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens elevation changes   Great for drinks watching the game brunch

"slow as mollases"

jamnguy1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2017

even on a weekday, it was slow play. i jumped a couple of holes because there were empty holes between many players, but that's really no way to enjoy golf. came back to club house after 1 hour and called it a day and the check in guy asked me when my tee time was and i told him an hour ago because it was slow and his response was "I'm not concerned how slow the pace is" so I guess this was the norm here. Well, I guess it was wishful thinking for weekday golf.

Hi,

I am sorry you had a poor experience at our course. We work hard to ensure a fast pace and we track the pace through-out the day. Clearly, we didn't do a good job when you played. Also, I will talk with the staff member to improve his customer service skills. We did not handle your concern properly and I apologize for that.

Please contact the golf shop, 408.980.9515, and ask to speak with the General Manager. I would like to have you play again and have a great experience.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

Commented on 08/10/2017

Thank you for your rating. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon Regards, General Manager

Commented on 08/10/2017

Thank you for the rating. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon Regards, General Manager

jhmwen's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2017

Commented on 08/10/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon Regards, General Manager

"Great summer condition"

pdxniu's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017

First time playing here this summer, the course is in much better condition than a few months ago when we had a lot of rain. Green is in great condition, smooth and rolls well.

I had my personal best score today, definitely recommended.

Commented on 07/30/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon.

Congratulations on your personal best score !

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017

General Manager

"golf course in a good zip code"

dharmarajan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2017

Knowing the course layout would certainly help, for a first timer. If you are paired with a local, that would certainly be the best. The first few holes were testy because my playing partner (a local walk on) was non-communicative. He warmed up later on and gave me pointers on ball placement and course management. Pace of play was far from desirable on this Thursday early afternoon. It appeared that they sent out golfers on the fly. Course conditions were a little suspect, especially around the fringes of the greens and fairways. Tall grass and all. Overall, a decent course to prowl.

Commented on 07/30/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round.

I will pass along your observations about course conditions to our Superintendent.

Sorry for a bit of slow play. Our junior golfers were out in front of you and while we monitor them closely, they sometimes lose a bit of focus.

We hope to see you again soon and please ask for a yardage book to help with course management.

"Course Is Run Down"

Christophe5490606's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

Other than the greens, which I would say were in pretty good condition, the rest of the course was not well maintained. If it wasn't for the pace of play (I played 18 in 3:20) and the price, I would have been disappointed. Unless you're in a hurry, I would not recommend this course.

Commented on 06/01/2017

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are working hard on improving conditions and it would be helpful to learn your specific concerns. If you would please email me at santaclaragm@americangolf.com, I would appreciate it. Or, please call at 408.980.9515 and ask for the General Manager and we can discuss what you is in need of attention.

Thank you in advance for your input.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

Great staff but course is in under a lot of repairs. I'm sure once it is done with repairs it be a great course

Commented on 05/28/2017

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. The construction you mentioned will be completed the last week of May.

Please come back in June and see the improvements.

Thank you.

"Good value/ good pace"

Jerrod9768636's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

For a muni course, not a pushover. A couple par 4s are long and hard, especially if there is a bit of wind. Greens are not terribly easy, but most often play straighter than appear to the eyes. A good course to walk. For this area $40 was a great weekday value (Tues 9:00AM tee off) and didn't have to eat up the whole day, as we were able to tee off each hole without waiting and got dine in just under 4 hrs walking.

Commented on 05/18/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round and played in less than 4 hours.

We hope to see you again soon

"Course is neglected"

igaudet's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

Really sad, this course used to be fun, but it's obvious it's being let go to seed due to the impending future plans for the money. It felt like the greens keeping staff is a volunteer effort. Price was low, but you get what you pay for. Spend the money to play somewhere that's actually in golf shape.

Commented on 06/01/2017

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry you think the course is being neglected as that is not our intent. The property is open with no plans to close.

If you would please email me at santaclaragm@americangolf.com with your concerns, I would appreciate it. It always is helpful to have guests' perspectives on where/what we need to improve. If you would prefer, please call me at 408.980.9515 and ask for the General Manager.

Looking forward to receiving your input.

Commented on 05/18/2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed the conditions were not up to expectations. We have made significant progress recovering from the wet winter and think you will be pleased the next time you play.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your concerns.

General Manager

"Golfnow + $5.00 key return...."

ahsales06's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/15/2017

I haven't played this course in a long time and it was in great shape after all the rain. My main concern was that, I booked on Golfnow to play $63.99 and the course charged me an additional $5.00 which I got back in after the round returning they key. I just think if you book on Golfnow, that should include the $5.00 key return.

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback and glad you enjoyed the course.

The key deposit is a policy at our course and as such, isn't included in the GolfNow rate. As you mentioned, it is a deposit only and is returned at the end of your round. It is for safety reasons we ask you to bring the key back into the shop. I realize it can be an annoyance but it is done to prevent all the junior golfers and tennis players from jumping into a cart with a key and having an accident.

I appreciate your and all our golfer's help to ensure we keep our young guests safe.

dennis7359012's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/11/2017

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your feedback. We are working hard to improve course conditions after a wet and cold winter into spring. Please play again soon to see our improvements.

"GREENS"

michael3839775's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

THE GREENS ARE HORRIBLE , NEVER THE SAME EVERY HOLE ROLES DIFFERENT.SLOW FAST BUMPY ECT.

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry about the uneven pace of the greens. Due to the unusually wet and cold spring, our greens took longer than anticipated to recover.

I hope you will come back soon and see what a difference sun and warmth have made.

Best,

"Great Course To Play, Was Alot Of Fun"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

Tried this course out for the first time, it was fun and defiantly a good time. Was wet in some spots along with goose droppings, but was not a big deal at all. The course layout was nice with fairly good size greens. The only downside was the greens were recently aerated a week or two ago so our ball during putting was bouncing around. We spoke to the pro shop about it, the lady at the front desk was very nice and compensated us for money off on our next round. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE! Overall this is a great course and layout, I will refer my fellow golfers, and defiantly be visiting again for another round. Big Thanks to Santa Clara Muni!!

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed the course and are planning to come back soon!

We have been drying out from the wet (did I mention really wet?) winter/spring and the geese have moved on. Our greens have come back nicely with sun and warm weather and are rolling well.

You are confident you will be pleased with course conditions for your next round.

Best,

"Fun course , nice people"

jeanne7386100's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/01/2017

Only issue was that the greens were aerated but otherwise it's a great course!

"Slow Play"

nelsonpw's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/31/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

4 hours - 15 holes. Quit out of frustration with the pace.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize for your slow play. We try to manage our pace to complete a round in 4:00 to 4:30 hours. We will continue to monitor the pace and keep everyone moving.

If at any time you have an issue during your round, please contact the golf shop for assistance.

"Aerated greens"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/26/2017

Recently aerated greens make this course unplayable. The greens were full of holes and covered in sand. Once putting your ball would take crazy bounces and turns due to the punched greens. I should have been notified prior to booking this round. I regret wasting my Sunday round of golf at this course. Also the pace of play is extremely slow as you run into beginner golfers getting down on all fours to read puts.

Hi,

If you have an issue during your round such as with pace of play, please call the golf shop and we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you again for your input as we are always working to improve our service.

Sails's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/25/2017

Commented on 03/27/2017

Thank you for the feedback.

"unplayable greens"

AllenFinch's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/23/2017

Course provided no advanced notice that greens had been aerated. Due to he amount of sand used, the greens were completely unusable. But they still charge full price. Profit before honesty - not the way a game of integrity like golf should be run

HI Mr. Finch,

Thank you for your feedback about the greens. I apologize you were not informed of conditions prior to play. We had posted discounted rates on GolfNow due to the work on the greens. According to our records, it appears you received a 30% discount for a savings of $16 on your green fee/cart fee.

Thank you again for your input as we are always working to improve our service.

seanwri's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/19/2017

Commented on 03/27/2017

Thank you for your feedback.