Santa Clara Golf & Tennis Club

Type: Public
Greens: Bent grass
Fairways: Bent grass

Credit cards accepted: VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed

Location is convenient to the city near local attractions near the airport   Great for locals walkers beginners   Challenges include bunkers undulating greens elevation changes   Great for drinks watching the game brunch

"Good value for your $$$"

chin9829467's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/12/2017

Originally I heard golfers were staying away from playing at Santa Clara Golf and Tennis Club but I do not agree with previous reviews. The staff management have turned this course around over the last 12 months with strategic pricing and maintenance of the overall course.

There is definitely more play than ever by at least henceforth. No doubt the word is getting around. Probably for my selfish reasons my review may bring more golfers on board. If it brings more play and pop to the course let it be. It deserves the attention that its currently acquiring.

"There is a flag out there."

lance9691's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/06/2017

Having never played course the the starter said stay left on the par 5. I hit right and could not see the flag. After playing this course you may feel better , but I hit so many blind shots. Course has many gopher holes and an ankle twist is to be avoided. Greens are small and well maintained, the fairways are crab grass and ball roll is minimum. Course was not busy and round was about 4 hours. Good value but course cart paths and course could use some attention.

"Good place to practice a nice round of golf"

Jose8am's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017

I hope you give more maintenance as this golf course would improve a lot and more costumers would come back more often. I like this place.

Commented on 09/28/2017

Hi,

We are happy you enjoy the course and appreciate your feedback.

We will continue to work on conditions to improve the experience for all our golfers. If you have specific areas we can address, please drop the golf shop and ask for either the Assistant GM or the GM. We would be happy to talk with you directly.

General Manager

"This course is an outstanding value"

nomoreslice's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017

I played this course twice over the weekend. First on Saturday. I liked it so much, I went back on Sunday. The conditions are excellent, everything from the tee boxes, fairways, rough and greens. I was especially pleased with the greens - they are not beat up at all, and they are challenging (pin placement and undulating). Also, the fairways are well maintained, no muddy spots. Also, it was not crowded at all (played late afternoon). It can get a bit windy in the late afternoon, but it was not bad when we were there. Great views of the surrounding hills outside the valley, and 49er stadium right there on the south side. I'm an intermediate player, trying to advance my game, so I don't want a short/par 3 course, but I also don't want a harder course such as Cinnabar Hills. I think for the money and proximity in the South Bay, you can't go wrong with Santa Clara Muni.

Commented on 09/28/2017

Hi,

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic support. We are pleased you enjoyed your experience on Saturday and that you chose to repeat it on Sunday!

I will pass along your comments to both our Superintendent and our Asst. GM.

"Unbearable Pace"

Johnny4129579's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/16/2017

5+ hours to play 18 holes....with a cart! Enough said. There needs to be a Marshall out there telling people to move it along because that is truly ridiculous. Kills the entire rhythm of your game and makes it impossible to get into any kind of groove. This is a shame because the course is actually pretty nice and the rates are reasonable (for the Bay Area anyway). Won't be coming back, lots of other courses to choose from in the area that don't make you feel the need to write a bad review.

Commented on 09/22/2017

Hi,

We are so sorry you had a long round. No excuses and we have made some changes to ensure we have on-course marshals monitoring and managing the pace.

I apologize for the long round and we are taking the feedback seriously and working to fix the issue.

Regards, General Manager

"Fairways need to be cut"

dq42golflife's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

The course is shaped very nicely for its location. The price to play here is a bang for your buck as it offers views of Levi's Stadium and the South Bay. However, the fairways should be larger in width but the rough has grown way too much. I think by simply mowing the fairway would entice longer hitters like myself to go for it more. Either way this course, I will definitely play again.

Commented on 09/22/2017

HI,

Thanks for the feedback. I will review the conditions with the Superintendent and see about widening the fairways and trimming back the rough.

We have been aggressively fertilizing to ensure the turf is in good shape was we move into winter and may have gotten a bit too heavy with it.

Thank you for the feedback.

General Manager

"Good course, but beware of potholes on all cart paths"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/26/2017

Pretty fun course. Greens are in reasonable shape, fairways okay as well. Tee boxes pretty beat up and cart paths are full of ruts, potholes and other crud. Not fun to drive if you have any lower back concerns. No snack bar.

Commented on 08/30/2017

Thank you for your comments and am glad you had fun.

We agree the cart paths need work and are filling holes to smooth out the ride. I reviewed the course with the Super last week but will take another look at the tee boxes.

The restaurant is operated by a separate company and I will share your sanck bar comment with them.

Thank you for the compliment on the greens.

Best, General Manager

"Good corse. Nice people"

brad30097's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2017

I had a really nice round of golf at Santa Clara golf and tennis club. I thought the course laid out fair and I thought the greens were in great condition overall a great experience

Commented on 08/27/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We too are very happy with the condition of the greens. We hope to see you again soon.

General Manager

"Worst course I've played"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2017

Maybe it's because the course will be torn down soon so they don't care about taking care of it, but that had to be the worst course conditions I've ever played. Tee boxes and fairways were atrocious, surprisingly the greens were well kept though. Even the cart paths were extremely uneven and bumpy. Do better.

Commented on 08/27/2017

I am sorry you did not think course conditions met your expectations. Despite the rumors, there are no plans to tear down the property, and we have been pleased with the improving turf conditions. In addition, we are working on the cart paths.

Thank you for the compliment on the greens. I hope you play again soon and see how conditions continue to improving.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/18/2017

Commented on 08/20/2017

Thank you for the feedback.

We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon.

Regards, General Manager

"slow as mollases"

jamnguy1's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2017

even on a weekday, it was slow play. i jumped a couple of holes because there were empty holes between many players, but that's really no way to enjoy golf. came back to club house after 1 hour and called it a day and the check in guy asked me when my tee time was and i told him an hour ago because it was slow and his response was "I'm not concerned how slow the pace is" so I guess this was the norm here. Well, I guess it was wishful thinking for weekday golf.

Hi,

I am sorry you had a poor experience at our course. We work hard to ensure a fast pace and we track the pace through-out the day. Clearly, we didn't do a good job when you played. Also, I will talk with the staff member to improve his customer service skills. We did not handle your concern properly and I apologize for that.

Please contact the golf shop, 408.980.9515, and ask to speak with the General Manager. I would like to have you play again and have a great experience.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

Commented on 08/10/2017

Thank you for your rating. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon Regards, General Manager

Commented on 08/10/2017

Thank you for the rating. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon Regards, General Manager

jhmwen's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2017

Commented on 08/10/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon Regards, General Manager

"Great summer condition"

pdxniu's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017

First time playing here this summer, the course is in much better condition than a few months ago when we had a lot of rain. Green is in great condition, smooth and rolls well.

I had my personal best score today, definitely recommended.

Commented on 07/30/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round. We hope to see you again soon.

Congratulations on your personal best score !

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017

General Manager

"golf course in a good zip code"

dharmarajan's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2017

Knowing the course layout would certainly help, for a first timer. If you are paired with a local, that would certainly be the best. The first few holes were testy because my playing partner (a local walk on) was non-communicative. He warmed up later on and gave me pointers on ball placement and course management. Pace of play was far from desirable on this Thursday early afternoon. It appeared that they sent out golfers on the fly. Course conditions were a little suspect, especially around the fringes of the greens and fairways. Tall grass and all. Overall, a decent course to prowl.

Commented on 07/30/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round.

I will pass along your observations about course conditions to our Superintendent.

Sorry for a bit of slow play. Our junior golfers were out in front of you and while we monitor them closely, they sometimes lose a bit of focus.

We hope to see you again soon and please ask for a yardage book to help with course management.

"Course Is Run Down"

Christophe5490606's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

Other than the greens, which I would say were in pretty good condition, the rest of the course was not well maintained. If it wasn't for the pace of play (I played 18 in 3:20) and the price, I would have been disappointed. Unless you're in a hurry, I would not recommend this course.

Commented on 06/01/2017

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. We are working hard on improving conditions and it would be helpful to learn your specific concerns. If you would please email me at santaclaragm@americangolf.com, I would appreciate it. Or, please call at 408.980.9515 and ask for the General Manager and we can discuss what you is in need of attention.

Thank you in advance for your input.

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/23/2017

Great staff but course is in under a lot of repairs. I'm sure once it is done with repairs it be a great course

Commented on 05/28/2017

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. The construction you mentioned will be completed the last week of May.

Please come back in June and see the improvements.

Thank you.

"Good value/ good pace"

Jerrod9768636's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

For a muni course, not a pushover. A couple par 4s are long and hard, especially if there is a bit of wind. Greens are not terribly easy, but most often play straighter than appear to the eyes. A good course to walk. For this area $40 was a great weekday value (Tues 9:00AM tee off) and didn't have to eat up the whole day, as we were able to tee off each hole without waiting and got dine in just under 4 hrs walking.

Commented on 05/18/2017

Thank you for the feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed your round and played in less than 4 hours.

We hope to see you again soon

"Course is neglected"

igaudet's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/30/2017

Really sad, this course used to be fun, but it's obvious it's being let go to seed due to the impending future plans for the money. It felt like the greens keeping staff is a volunteer effort. Price was low, but you get what you pay for. Spend the money to play somewhere that's actually in golf shape.

Commented on 06/01/2017

Thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry you think the course is being neglected as that is not our intent. The property is open with no plans to close.

If you would please email me at santaclaragm@americangolf.com with your concerns, I would appreciate it. It always is helpful to have guests' perspectives on where/what we need to improve. If you would prefer, please call me at 408.980.9515 and ask for the General Manager.

Looking forward to receiving your input.

Commented on 05/18/2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are disappointed the conditions were not up to expectations. We have made significant progress recovering from the wet winter and think you will be pleased the next time you play.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your concerns.