Edgewater Golf Club

Practice bunker: Yes
Practice hole: No
Simulator: No
Golf school / academy: No

Dress code: Collared shirts or mock turtlenecks required. Men: bermuda shorts or long pants only. Ladies: shorts, skirts, pants, or skorts. No denim.

Navy (M) 72 6102 yards 69.2 129
Navy (W) 72 6102 yards 76.4 136
White (M) 72 5322 yards 65.3 117
Burgundy 72 4717 yards 67.1 113

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs convenient to the city   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers locals   Challenges include elevation changes bunkers forced carries   Great for drinks brunch watching the game

"Best in South Carolina"

mgillm1064's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/20/2017

Best in South Carolina

What a spectacular course, cut in the woods surrounded by water. Very thoughtful and well laid out.

Response from Edgewater Tee Times on 02/22/2017:

Thank you for the 5 star review! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your round with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon for another round!

"One of my new favorites"

wsmcbrc's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/22/2017

Recently aerated, so the course was empty except for us and one other twosome. The course is well-laid out and fun with lots of interest and enough challenge without being too difficult. VERY secluded and quiet. Each hole felt like you were all alone.

"5 Thumbs Up!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2017

I have played this course 4 times in the last year and I would play it every week if i lived closer. There is nothing bad to say. Fantastic layout, beautiful fairways, and amazing nature. I only wish they had electric carts...I generally hate fumes out carts.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 09/20/2017:

Thank you for the great review, we appreciate the great feedback and love having you out at the course. Please come back and see us again soon.

"Hidden Gem"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/10/2017

This course is well worth the drive no matter where you are coming from. A lot of elevation changes makes you think you drove to the mountains. The course is very well laid out. Bunkers are in the midst of changing over to white sand. The bunkers that are complete just make the course so much better. Fairways are a good mix of open and tight. Tight areas are forgiving enough to let you find a lost ball. Only complaint was the greens were a little spotty. You could see tire tread from the mowers on most greens, but they rolled surprisingly well. I will definitely be back as this is my new favorite course in the area.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 09/12/2017:

Thank you so much for taking the long drive to come see us! The course is challenging with the different elevations but we are glad you were able to conquer it. Thank you for making us your favorite course, we hope to see you again this weekend!

"Very nice and scenic layout"

careerbest1224's avatar
Plays:  Twice a year

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2017

I will play Edgewater again, the staff is very accommodating and layout is both scenic and challenging. Multiple tees to give all ranges of players reasonable yardages. Fairways were in superb condition, and the Bermuda rough was cut high but fair. Bent grass greens were somewhat spotty in places making putting a bit difficult, but they held very well and had enough undulations make things interesting. One negative, there are no rest rooms on either nine. This is unusual as compared to many other public courses we've played in SC and NC. These are minor points but we do not recall seeing a single ball washer on any hole, and only one trash can (may have been the 10th hole). No sand on the carts with which to fill divots so we replace the sod where we could.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 09/12/2017:

Thank you so much for the great review! The course was recently aerified so we appreciate your patience if some of the greens and fairways were bumpier than normal. As the course continues to transition into the fall months we hope to see you again in the next few weeks. Thanks for coming out!

"A Good First Experience With Room For Improvement"

MizunoBen's avatar
Virginia Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/08/2017

I happened to be passing through South Carolina recently and decided to give this course a try given all of the Golf Advisor accolades. I was impressed with the staff, course layout and the great value. I only wish the course had been in a little better shape.

The layout was great for this type of landscape with plenty of towering elevated tees overlooking wide fairways. This is a pretty good course for beginners or those who struggle with accuracy off the tee. Of course you can find trouble if you go wide enough but I was able to find most of the balls I hit into the trees and a couple were even playable. There’s a great variety in the holes with some creative risk/reward options and a couple par-5s that I was able to hit in two (I’m not the longest hitter). The 240-yard par-3 15th was perhaps the longest par-3 hole I’ve ever played but wasn’t particularly difficult with a good 50-ft drop from tee to green (I did however, make the foolish mistake of using my rangefinder on that hole and somehow lost it between holes 15 and 17 so if you find a small Golfbuddy rangefinder in the weeds somewhere please let me know).

The staff is very friendly and accommodating, even helping you unload at the end of the round and taking your cart back for you. The clubhouse and off-course amenities are just so-so with one big exception: grass driving range!

As mentioned before, the course conditions were clearly not as good as they could be. The fairways and tee boxes were in good shape but there were a few GUR-looking spots in the rough and the greens looked to be on the brink. They were patchy and bumpy even though they aren’t scheduled to be punched for another month. Most of the bunkers weren’t smoothed out though a few had fresh white sand that replaced the native dirt present in the others.

For the money I paid the conditions weren’t bad but you can tell the course has had better in the past. I’d love to come down again when the greens smooth out, and hopefully I’ll play a bit better too!

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 09/12/2017:

Thank you so much for the excellent review and feedback! We appreciate the kind words regarding our staff, they are some of the best in the State and we are glad they were so accommodating. The course was recently aerified so we appreciate your patience if some of the greens and fairways were bumpier than normal. We can't wait to have you back with us in the coming weeks once the course has fully transitioned, thanks for coming out!

u022088489's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2017

Great course with scenic view and fun holes. Greens were slow but overall great.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 09/07/2017:

Thank you for the review, thank you for the great compliments regarding the course layout and view! Please come back and see us again soon.

"Great Layout but..."

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/30/2017

Tee to green, this course is wonderful. Very challenging, with a tremendous variety of holes. The par 3's are really cool, especially #16.

The staff is incredibly friendly and interacting with them was a breeze. Pace of play was slow, which was due more to the skill level of golfers in front of us. A ranger came by frequently to assist.

HOWEVER - the greens are terrible. Bumpy, inconsistent and not true - to the point where you just don't know whether a perfectly struck 4 footer will go in.

The sand traps are awful. There's at least 4 different types of sand on the course. Few traps were raked, some had visible gravel. I played out of footprints, muddy sand and a fried egg lie in a fairway bunker.

The tee shot on 18 is borderline crazy, as a huge pine tree blocks the center of the fairway. You can either aim towards a bunker with fine loose sand on the left(leaving you with a bad lie and no shot to the green), or the woods on the right.

This is not a walking course, as there are huge distances between some holes.

For me - if a course has bad greens - I won't play it because there's no point if your good shots to the green and solidly struck putts aren't rewarded.

I'll come back when the greens and traps are in much better shape - I don't really know when that will be though.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 09/01/2017:

Thank you for the honest review. We appreciate your patience as the course is currently transitioning into the cooler fall months. Many of the greens have been affected by the hotter summer months and will be back to normal in a few weeks. Thank you so much for coming out and we hope to see you again in a few weeks.

"A Wonderful Golf Day at Edgewater"

fred1106's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/27/2017
Previously played Walked Perfect weather Verified Purchaser

Couldn't have been better weather and the course was challenging but very playable. Play was slow, but that allowed us to meet and play with two new people. Course was beautiful, but the greens were a little beat up. Overall a wonderful round at a great price.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 09/01/2017:

Thank you for the great review! We appreciate you taking the time to leave us a review and love the great photo that you took. Thank you so much for coming out, we hope to see you again this weekend!

"I want to love this course... But the traps are in rough shape"

Darkninja95's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017
Previously played Used cart Hot weather

I have been playing this course for a little over 5 years now, I have been there since about 2012. Let me first start off by saying I absolutely love this course. This place is a little hidden gem for anyone in the Lancaster SC area. And its always my personal go-to when I need a place to play. But I have to say, the only thing holding me from going there everytime is the sand-traps. Over the last couple of years, there have been no work done on any of the sandtraps, which leaves them to be rough, hard packed, in most cases they are rocky (yes full of rocks, little pebbles) Muddy, and in most cases just not well-maintained at all. And for paying 40 dollars a round almost every time I go with a few friends, this is hard for me to swallow. Every time I go, there are constant course improvements, the greens are always in great shape, the fairways are well maintained, everything is great up until the sand traps. And since I drive about 45 minutes to get here, It is a little disappointing to me.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/22/2017:

Thank you for your honest review. We appreciate the feedback regarding the bunkers and we are currently looking into resolving this issue. Thank you for making the long drive to see us and we hope to see you many more times in the future.

"Great Challenge and Value"

Matt7782556's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/19/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Course is challenging, especially getting off the tee. If you are not controlling your driver, you can expect to struggle and probably lose some balls. The course offers a championship caliber layout. I was a bit disappointed in the bunkers and greens. Neither areas looked like they had been cared for by previous play. The greens had a lot of unfixed ball marks, and putts did not roll smoothly. Bunkers looked like they hadn't been raked all day. Overall, when you add in the price and customer service, this is still a 5-star course.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/22/2017:

Thank you for the great review and for the 5-stars! We really appreciate the great feedback. We are working on getting our golfers to fix their balls markers and we appreciate you pointing this out to us. Thanks again for the great review and we hope to see you again in the near future.

"Great Value!"

Gwenscoville's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2017

great course, awesome service! Staff Outstanding. Can't wait to play another round.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you so much for the kind words regarding our staff! We are so glad you came out to give us a try, can't wait to have you back!

KendallGodfrey5's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you for the 5-star review! We really appreciate it!

"Always a pleasure to play"

Randy6494653's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

I only wish it was closer. I would certainly play this course more often

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you for the review. We wish you were closer as well! Thanks for coming out and we hope you make the drive to come see us again.

Brian3713008's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2017

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you for the 5-star review we really appreciate it.

"First Timef"

ChipShank's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/04/2017

Visually stimulating.

Fairways were plush...Don't miss them!

Greens did not appeared to be mowed ...slow.

Played with golf now deal, so great value for me. Not sure I would pay $50

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you for the review. We are glad you were able to give us a try on GolfNow. The greens are a little slower this time a year just because of the hotter weather. Come fall they will be in excellent shape and will run more quickly! Thank you and hope to see you again come the fall.

GOLF4nick's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 09/07/2017:

Thank you for the 5-star review!

"Great course at a reasonable price!"

Donald5967709's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/02/2017

I just finished up playing at Edgewater and I must say that I'm very impressed. The course layout is wonderful. It truly gives you something different, but fun, from hole to hole. The greens are nice and sticky, so they hold shots well. Thx greens do need some help with players repairing their ball marks tho. With the greens being so receptive, there are a good amount of marks. The greens do, however, putt true (albeit a bit slow).

The bunkers are the worst part of the course. They are hard packed with very little sand in them. The overall course conditions and the super friendly staff more than make up for this small blemish tho. Take the time and make the scenic drive out to Edgewater, you won't regret it!

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you for the review, and we appreciate the feedback regarding our excellent staff and course. The course is currently transitioning out of the hotter summer months and into the cool fall weather. Usually, this takes a toll on the fairways and greens so we appreciate your patience and hope to see you again come fall.

"Fun challenging layout"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/01/2017

Great course off the beaten path but well worth the ride if you have the time. Played midweek afternoon so pace of play was good and course conditions for early August were very good.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you for the review, so glad you enjoyed your round with us.

"Great value"

ptonon's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/31/2017

This course is a great play for only $23 on a summer day! I drive between Charlotte and Columbia a good bit, and figured I would spend the extra 30 minutes driving and check out Edgewater. Went out on a Monday afternoon. Only encountered 2 groups the entire round and they let me through. The conditions were great, and the course is fairly different with so many elevated tee boxes. Just wish there was a little differentiation between the holes themselves, and that it was a bit closer to I-77.

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you for the review, we are so glad you are so close to all our course sister courses in the area! We appreciate the great review and hope to see you again this weekend.

"7/29/18 holes."

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/29/2017

Course in very good shape, priced reasonably.

Staff= very kind, respectful & helpful!

T .Soffera

Response from Edgewater Golf Club on 08/07/2017:

Thank you for the review, we appreciate the feedback regarding our course and excellent staff. Thank and please come see us again this weekend.