Laurel Hill Golf Club

Caddies: No
GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Proper attire is required. No tee-shirts, jeans, cutoffs or sandals.

Location is convenient to the city worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers locals a weekend splurge   Challenges include bunkers plays long elevation changes   Great for drinks

"Great layout, USGA championship course"

MyrtleMaster's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2017

Public course with lots of play.

Course very well maintained. No complaints. Very generous fairways. Nice greens, tees and fairways.

Layout can be challenging. No surprises.

A bit pricey and there are others of equal quality at lower prices. Will play this many times in the future.

"Tour quality tough!"

Filthy20's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/24/2017
First time playing Used cart Hot weather

Unlike the guy who reviewed the course below me from 7/24, the course on 9/24 was PERFECT. Laurel Hill hosted a Mid Atlantic AM event the weekend I played the course - we teed off after the event was over.

I'll say it again, the course was PERFECT. The greens were probably the fastest I've ever played on, EVER! Super high rough and trouble areas guard the fairways, giving this course a difficulty level of that of a US Open. Seriously, this place is awesome. Expensive $89.00 for a 1:47pm tee time on a Sunday afternoon, but worth it. The pin placement was supposed to be #1 that day, however NONE of the placements on the back 9 matched that of the scorecard. They were all over, one hole a 2, the next a 3, the following a 1 - no rhyme or reason to the placements - unless the AM event was given different pin sheets, these should have been provided to the golfers going out after the event. No way would I ever walk this course like I saw some people doing. The walks between holes and between tee box to fairway were long, hilly, and the path that takes you around would add miles to the whole round.

"Losing Steam and Fast"

kman1616's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2017

2013 US Amatuer Public Links Championship course? You would never know it judging by the greens. I've played this course probably 50 times in the last 3 years, that's how much I like the layout, but I'm tried of the greens. I thought the greens being nicked up after the steam from the US pub am and everyone wanting to play it, would subside. I'm sort of sick and tired of the greens at this course. It is such a good course and layout for the middle of Fairfax, and it's being ruined. The greens look like they are poorly maintained. Granted I don't think people fix their ball marks enough but even still, the greens keeper and staff are suppose to go, everyday in the morning and before closing and look for that stuff and maintenance the green, and I'd be surprised if it happens more then once a week. The greens for the price are pathetic. I'm putting them on notice and calling them out. Their last few reviews are not that good either. You want to be a top tier course and charge top tier prices, then act like it. I think the county needs to sell it to a company who can better manage it because between the greens stinking, and some of the staff, no chance it continues its reputation.

Speaking of staff, not a fan. I have had the cart lady tell friends of mine to dump drinks out because they were not her drinks and from home. Where the blank am I'm playing golf? I've had some ups and downs with starters too, but overall they seem pretty nice, and good guys. But think about this, a cart lady made you dump a drink out. First off, I get it. She wants her money, and maybe it is not policy, fine. But this is suppose to be top golf course in the area, and they charge top price. Can you imagine the embarrassment if someone is trying to conduct business on a golf course with potential clients, and say you bring a nice bottle of alcohol to toast on the course, and then you get told to dump it out from the cart girl. She basically makes you look like a loser in front of people because she is mad people aren't buying drinks form her and she is not making money. I don't buy for one second she cares if your drinking or not, she sells alcohol. She is basically publicly humiliating you because you don't always play with people you know, or she is trying to show her power over you. She could, if she really wanted, come up to the person and privately and politely say, you can' t have that. All because why??? she needs money?!?! I dont get it! And the course lets her get away with it because it's the same lady everytime..pathetic! If they let that go, imagine what else is going on..check the greens and you'll see. Don't believe me, go play it and honestly tell me the green are good shape, you can't do it.

Truly is a shame and it's unfortunately probably just a matter of time till that land gets sold for housing units if they keep this up. I think twin lakes has better kept greens and both are county owned.

You want to be a big time course, act like it. otherwise we can start calling you Greendale 2

"Nice course, too pricey"

Michael5698433's avatar
Age:  Under 25

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/16/2017

This course is in fairly good condition, but the price makes it outrageous. I believe the price is to make it seem like an even nicer club/course but it's overkill. If you are willing to spend upwards of an extra $40 per round then go for it. I think they put Fiji water in the water coolers lol. There are a couple other courses within the area with comparable course conditions for a fraction of the price! Nice course though.

Commented on 11/06/2017

Curious what courses you think are just as good for $40 less. I want to play them.

"Great everything"

Keith1064722's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/15/2017

Pricey but this course is outstanding! Two thumbs up!!

"Great course for the money. Bad attitudes inside the clubhouse."

sergeant643's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/04/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Employee that took my money never said anything except "you using Visa" lazy and bad attitude carried on to the grille where the young man never looked up and was just rude. The outside services men were awesome!! They talked about the course and offered help and were just a pleasure to deal with. The cart lady was also nice and you could tell she wanted to do a good job. Great course and lousy inside help make this round good. I would definitely like to play this course again without the bad attitudes inside.

"nice course rude staff"

hfinch7777's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/08/2017

The public county course is nice. They try to make it like a private country club and price it that way. Unlike a private country club, the staff are not nice. They are rude and nasty. I go there and three times I had a bag of practice balls for the warmup green and they ask me if I stole the bag from them. I was told I could not use nike warm ups in winter due to "collar shirt rule", even though i asked on the phone. Cannot park cart on edge of grass or you will get yelled at. don't go there. I wont anymore.

"Not Consistent Value"

Aces2x's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/04/2016

I've played this course many times and the layout is great but it's consistently overpriced for what they deliver. May be because it is a county course, but $80 in December? Ridiculous. Greens ok, but rough very chewed up, especially around greens. For $80 need some amenities. No water on course, no beverage cart - not a big deal, but don't charge premium rate if your not going to deliver a premium product. Some guys that work there are great, others are rude and have no clue about customer service. Act like they are doing you a favor letting you play there. Discounts on this course hard to find but my suggestion is play the course if you don't have to pay full rate.

"Not worth a Hungy"

supratbo's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

All in all, this course is typically more forgiving to the player that needs room left and right. Greens often run fast to very fast and are reasonably well maintained but show use. Green side areas are to be expected, fairways are good, not exceptional, and tee boxes aren't worth mentioning.

The course is a mix of short and long P4's, the same for P3's and typical P5's all with a smattering of elevation changes. Nothing truly amazing unless your a BIG hitter and can reach the P4 #7 from the tee.

For a weekend end prime time rate of $99.00 this course is hardly a good deal unless all you want is a course you have never played before.

Recommend off hours and off season play.

"Great Course and well kept!"

mdgolfaddict's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/04/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Ok, I played this on July 4th, but just got around to review it (too busy playing golf maybe). The greens were great, staff was terrific! First I thought they were stalking me, but just wanted to see how well we liked the course, since we mentioned it was our first time there. I would go back again, and again, even if I have to drag my crew there! We hate the traffic going south on I-95 from Prince Georges County, but it was well worth it and didn't take us more than 45 minutes. Clubhouse is nice too! Fairways were wide enough to contain my slice!

"Nice course in a great shape."

yunssong's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Play here a few times a year. Always a good experience. A very nice layout and conditions have been great this year.

"One of the best I've played in Northern Va."

cjv86s1984's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/06/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Incredible coarse... This coarse is very well maintained even in the dead of winter. If it wasn't so wet at some spots due to melting snow, it felt like cheating when taking advantage of winter rules on such well taken care of grass. It has some incredibly challenging and unique holes, so if it's your 1st time out at LAUREL HILLS and your used to hitting from the long tees, you'd be wise to tee off the whites. If you are a good and consistent golfer, I highly recommend you putting this coarse on your things to do list after a great drive... ... whether from long, medium, or short distance away, it'll be worth the effort!

"Winter golf fun"

DirtyBirdie210's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Course was in great shape even though we are in the middle of winter. The greens rolled great but was somewhat slow, might have been b/c we were out the day after a rain storm. Overall great course but only worth it if you catch a GolfNow hot deal.

"Local residents should try it at least once"

neilsivek's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/15/2016
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather Verified Purchaser

Good value on the Hot Deal, Not sure I would pay full price on a regular basis. Great experience for a county-owned course. Wide fairways, some challenges, but nothing too punishing. Well maintained.

"Laurel Hills"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/15/2015

Always a great play but especially with a Golf Now discount. I have never had to pay full rate at this great course thanks to the Golf Now site!!!!!!!!

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Beautiful course"

Greg385's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/28/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

I would suggest to everyone go play the course<br/> It is difficult but I suggest you take the challenge.

"Laurel Hill Up Hill"

Pete1221's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/27/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

The course is great, good conditions, hard course and great lay-out. Pace of play was very slow. However, the greens were in great shape.

Quality of food & beverage: Fair

"Another great day at Laurel"

Torty35's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

This course rarely disappoints and today was no different. Course conditions were excellent and pace of play was excellent for a very busy Monday, being it was 68 degrees in November. Got paired with some higher handicaps today and realize how challenging the course really is. Playing from the proper tee box is critical especially for people playing the course for the first time. Always enjoy playing Laurel.

"Perfect greens"

Dave1835223's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/15/2015

Played as a threesome under 4 1/2 hrs! Greens were fast and true, staff organized and friendly.

"Pretty Course, challenging"

Brendan9717257's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 9 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

Very nice course, challenging, greens run fast compared to many places I have golfed nearby. Hilly so maybe not best for walkers. I was paired with a very nice man who works / volunteers at course. He represented well with an amiable positive attitude. My wife and I had a great time. Holes were pretty long for her as she is a beginner, but it was a beautiful day.