Magnolia Green Golf Club

• 17301 Memorial Tournament Drive , Moseley, Virginia 23120
  • www.magnoliagreengolfclub.com

Year built: 2010
Architect(s): Tom Clark (2010), Nicklaus Design (2010)
Type: Semi-Private
Fairways: Bermuda Grass

Credit cards accepted: Yes

Location is in the 'burbs worth the drive   Great for advanced golfers locals entertaining clients   Challenges include undulating greens bunkers elevation changes

Robert5930389's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/27/2017

"Great Nichlaus Layout"

birdieman601's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/14/2017

Son and I played here on a long weekend trip. Played with two great members from Magnolia Greens. This was a typical Nicklaus influence with some difficult greens and bunkering, but very playable. Greens were not as fast as we liked but very smooth and puttable. Layout was very nice with different holes that were not overly tough. Had a problem with getting to the driving range which was a mile away. That will rectified when the clubhouse is finished in about 2 weeks. It looks absolutely great from the outside. Would definitely play again if in the area. Only problem I see is that in my honest opinion, the greens were a little more than I think the course should be. $55.00 would be a fair price. I understand why they charge what they do now. Thanks again for a wonderful day of golf!!

"Good layout"

Bombtech6316's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/23/2017

After reading all the rave reviews my friend and I went to check out Magnolia and we were not disappointed for the most part. The new clubhouse is almost finished which will elevate this course for sure. The staff was super friendly from bag drop, to check in, to the driving range attendant. The course conditions were awesome for late September with fairways that had some run and greens that putted true. We teed off at 740 so as the morning wore on the greens got faster as we have had no rain in the area lately. The course has 5 tee boxes to match your game. The bunkers were in great shape and the rough was fair. The value for the money leaves something to be desired though as it was 76.00 for the round with a small bag of range balls. I have played other courses in the Central Virginia area that were far cheaper and just as nice if not nicer than Magnolia. I will be back but only during the mid week when rates are a little more reasonable.

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/20/2017

"Best in RVA"

stephen248's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/12/2017

Magnolia Green is the best public course in Richmond. Yep, I said it. Challenging layout on a surprisingly good piece of land. Undulating greens and bunkers framed by long, native grasses are some of the highlights. Plus, the staff is friendly and accommodating. A place every golfer in the area needs to check out.

"PGA for amateurs"

Myron2013's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2017

This has to be one of the hardest courses that I've ever played and also the most fun that I've ever had. If you think you have the chops to make it on the PGA you have to play this course I played from the blue tees which are the members tees, if you can't carry the ball 280 plus (and straight) don't even think about the green tees. The fairways are wide but slopes and sand make you choose every shot. The rolling fairways and undulations in the greens are ridiculous. Sand traps every where, uneven lies, false fronts, false rears, backstops, I believe the best PGA professionals​would have a hard time here.

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you so much for playing our club. I'm glad you had a good time and look forward to having you back out soon!

"Somewhat Disappointing"

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/26/2017

Okay - so I've heard a lot of good things about this place, so i decided to take a Friday afternoon off and check it out. Disappointing to say the least. Yes, i understand they're building a new clubhouse, and yes, housing construction can make things somewhat chaotic, however these things shouldn't be used as an excuse to cover up course deficiencies. Lack of clear directions to range and 1st hole tee-off caused me to drive around aimlessly for a while in my cart... "check in with the starter" i was told, but that proved to be very difficult as it wasn't entirely clear where he could be found - he found me teeing off on No. 1 - "always check in with the starter" (if you can find him! LOL)...greens and fairways were sub-par... pre-Made sandwiches for sale at the clubhouse - lousy. Skip this course as there are much better courses in the area.

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy our course. While I respectfully disagree with you regarding course conditions, I do empathize with the long and somewhat confusing drive to the first tee. The new clubhouse will be open in October and the food will be spectacular!

"Not what it once was"

Ineverslice90's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/16/2017

Magnolia has always been one of my go to courses and I was looking forward to today's round. I was shocked to see fairways that are hard, burned, bumpy and bare in spots. With the amount of rain we've had in the past 2 months it is unbelievable to find the fairways in such poor condition. Greens were ok, but slow...which is also shocking. Quite a few tee boxes were bare of any grass. I would have been furious if I had paid the $60 GN rack rate. I hope they can get these conditions corrected before the hot dry months get here.

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our course. While I respectfully disagree on our course conditions, I appreciate any and all feedback of our facility. Best of luck with your 2017 golf season which I hope is filled with lots of birdies!

Kevin7884321's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/18/2017

"Thanks to the staff for allowing us to have a great afternoon"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/06/2017

Three of us have a hard time adjusting schedules to play , and we had penciled in the 6 th . Yes stormed all morning and lightning lit the sky till an hour before our tee time. But the golf gods were smiling and sunny, breezy and clear to play. Yes soggy in places but the winter has been good here . Greens, traps fairways in great shape and the staff is always friendly and helpful. Little slow being cart path only, but very understandable and love the fact course is in such good shape . Once the clubhouse and bar are open will be great on and off the course. Yes ride to first tee is a long ride and the carts are not the best, but finished clubhouse will be a very nice addition. Practice facilities are good but under used with welcome center so far away. Layout is always fun and yes the challenge is the greens . Once facilities complete will be one of the best venues in the area .

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our course. We really appreciate all the kind compliments. Our goal is to provide excellent service to our valued guests. From your review, it looks like my staff ACED your experience!

"Great course"

uJBRC4281JB's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 03/22/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Although the greens had recently be aerofied, they were in very good shape.

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you for the review and the compliment. I'll be sure to pass this along to our maintenance crew! We hope to see you again soon.

"Difficult course, unequal rule enforcement"

Evo8Lee's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/21/2017

We played the course on a beautiful, but chilly day (temps high-50's). The course looks fantastic this early in the season. Green fairways and putting surfaces with light brown rough areas and the bunkers had plenty of sand.

There's a ton of construction, both for the new golf clubhouse and surrounding homes, so there was no peace and quiet throughout the entire round. The current clubhouse is about a mile from the practice area and first tee. You need to show up 10-15 minutes earlier just for the ride to the starting area.

Despite no rain in the area for almost a week play was ruled as cart path only. Fairways were dry and fast, but you couldn't ride to your ball even at 90 degrees. Really? That made this hilly, unforgiving course to be even tougher than it needs to be. There was no one off in front of us so we got to establish our own pace, but by the 6-7th hole a couple of 4-somes had caught us because they were ignoring the cart path rule. So, to speed up, we decided to ignore it as well. Of course, by the 9th hole the Marshall caught us and reprimanded us but said nothing to the groups playing behind us. They rode all over the fairways through the entire round.

It's a very attractive course, very tough with some of the craziest greens and championship level pin placements I've ever seen. Tons of deep-lipped bunkers made it a rough round for our group (we shoot mid-to-high 80's).

Despite being somewhat local and getting a pretty reasonable rate from Golfnow I don't think we'll be back. Too tough and weird rules enforcement made for a less than enjoyable day.

Commented on 02/24/2017

Thank you for playing our course and reviewing your golfing experience, as we appreciate any and all feedback. I’m sorry for the inconvenience of the course being cart path only. From December through March, we typically keep the carts on the path. It has nothing to do with the course being wet or dry, it’s simply an agronomic practice that has been in place since 2012. We have seen significant improvements with our course conditions by limiting the compaction of our fairways and rough. We always hope our guests will abide by those rules and I do appreciate your group honoring our wishes. Unfortunately, some follow them while others do not (even after they have been spoken to a second time). From your review it looks like you played early in the afternoon on the 21st. One of the groups behind you had 4 of our members, of which 3 required handicap flags. We offer handicap flags for golfers with ailments and disabilities. The majority of our rounds are booked through the golf shop. We are able to notify our guests at the time of their call of our cart rules. When booking through Golf Now, once you click on the tee time the cart path only notice shows up under the Online Rate. Going forward, I’ve instructed my pro shop staff, starters, and marshals to do a better job of explaining the rule to those who may not have seen the notice. I hope in the future you will give us another try. Again, thank you for taking the time in reviewing Magnolia Green Golf club and we are sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused your group.

"Course conditions superb"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/13/2017

Challenging, fun and yes greens are the challenge here. Very playable layout , mixture some short, couple long but have to learn the greens and pay close attention to pin position. Yes course still drying out from the 8 inches of snow but still great shape and slowed greens some , but for some these greens are normally too fast . People here are very friendly and definitely enjoy helping you have a great round. Don't expect to be alone here, always active but have found here the golfers know etiquette and how to keep pace. Wonder how active will be once clubhouse is finally done? One of my favorite courses in the area .

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you for the fantastic review and compliments. We really appreciate it and hope to see you on the course soon!

"Potential...."

JustaGOONER's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/16/2016

No clubhouse yet, that why I have the 3 on the amenities.

Layout is super, plenty of tees to choose from. My only complaint is the greens. While they were true and proper speed, they are nightmares. Almost no flatness to them.

I would offer that a player could score if they were a little bit friendlier. Even if I was putting my approach to less than 10', there was double bends in almost all putts.

Otherwise, from tee to pin, great track. There is tons of construction going on for houses and clubhouse, so in a year it should be a great complete track.

Practice facility is top notch as well.

Cheers

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thank you for taking the time and reviewing our course. We really appreciate the feedback. The greens here are quite tricky. There is a definite advantage to having some local knowledge of the course! Thanks again!

"Great conditon"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/09/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played few courses showing the burn of summer , but not here . Tee to green plush soft and very good condition. Only work to be done is in some of the traps. Some soft and others packed with weeds. Once the clubhouse built next year will be really nice. Little disconcerting to those new to course . Welcome center being used as pro shop and it's a mile through the subdivision from the first , tenth and practice facilities. Course layout thou makes a lot of sense and flows well. Be back next week.

"Plush course"

Todd1094789's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/04/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather

Had a great time playing this course. The front nine is the new nine and is not as challenging as the back nine, but still challenging. Tee boxes are in great shape, fairways were plush, and greens are fast but true. Sand traps are mostly well maintained with a few showing grassy overrun around edges. Only draw back is the temporary pro shop is about 3/4 mile from driving range, putting green and first tee. Should be awesome when the new clubhouse is built near all the amenities.

Commented on 07/03/2017

Thanks for the review! The front 9 does play a bit easier than the backside. We are ecstatic that our new clubhouse is opening soon. We hope to see you there!

"Great course, slow play"

Bill9600378's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/07/2016

What a great golf course, challenging every part of your game. Every hole requires thought due to the layout of the greens and they were fast along with a true role. Highly recommend.

Downside - pace of play was slow, 5 hours and 20 minutes to play a full round. No signs of a ranger nor course management to adjust the pace. Patience is needed.

"Nice course"

VUUGOLFER's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/08/2016

Great Value for the price. Greens were in good condition.

"Bring all your skills to Magnolia Green, especially ball-striking"

MikeBaileyGA's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/12/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Average weather

A big golf course to be sure, there is a discernible difference between the two nines here. The back nine was actually built first, and it's the more severe and difficult of the two. Our group actually started on no. 10, a 630-yard par 5 that played every bit of that, especially considering the rain that had been hampering play the previous week. It was also the only hole on the course that could use some modifying, particularly the difficult greens complex that includes large bunkers and high fescue surrounding a rather severe green. Given the length of the hole, the final approach need not be the most difficult on the course. With that said, I loved the rest of the golf course, especially the front nine, which has softer features and is more playable. Not easy, mind you, but certainly fair. The fairways throughout are generous, but the approaches are challenging and require crisp ball-striking. Miss the greens, and very few players won't, and you'll need a terrific short game to save par. All-in-all, Magnolia Green is a terrific Nicklaus test that will only get better with time.

"Great layout nice challenge"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/29/2016

Love the layout . I personally don't find it long , but you do have some blind shots . Once get around green , yes pay attention to the multiple tiers and slopes . Only negative is pro shop not built and amenities wanting. Point no relief station until the 13 th hole . You don't get back to the welcome center until the 17th. They do run a drink cart that helps. Played couple times now and does help getting to know how long and where to place tee shots and approach shots . Yes pay close attention to scorecard if first time or been awhile . Will be great once pro shop up and all construction done .