The Highland Course At Primland Resort

Carts: Yes - included in green fee
GPS: No

Practice bunker: Yes

Dress code: Collared golf shirts, turtle necks, slacks or golf shorts up to four inches above the knees. No jeans, tank tops, cargo shorts/pants, or athletic shorts please. Shirts must be tucked in and hats worn with the brim facing forward.

Black/Red 72 6771 yards 74.9 147
Blue (W) 72 6013 yards 75.7 142
Green (W) 72 5166 yards 72.1 134

"Amazingly impressive, but not quite for me"

swetsb's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2017

I'll give Primland credit, they have successfully gone all out on every aspect of this resort. From the time you get out of your car, every staff member is exceedingly friendly and helpful. The views are extraordinary; make sure you hit at least one junk ball into what looks to be a thousand foot drop off of the 18th tee. The course itself could not be in better condition, especially the greens. The food in the restaurant is the best golf course food I've ever had, but of course you will pay for it.

Still, this course wasn't totally for me. While I love mountain golf, with its elevation changes and optical illusions, I like the old school style of smaller greens. These greens are just entirely too large. Putting GPS on the carts would be really helpful, as the size of the greens makes it impossible to be precise with your approach distances. When each third of the green can be 20 yards deep (or more!), you're more likely to hit it close because you were lucky, not because you were good.

I haven't played a course outside of Scottsdale that was in as pristine condition as Primland, and I could probably be talked into going back. But I wouldn't go out of my way to do so, as it's not a course that will reward you for playing well.

"Beautiful"

Randall9750593's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/28/2017

Primland is a beautiful place to play golf. The course tee boxes and fairway grass was very nice. The greens were smooth and true but not quite perfect, which you expect that the price points they demand. The valet at the entrance was nice, the pro shop attendants as well. The practice range was on mats, disappointing, but fine. The short game area was good but didn't notice the practice green until making the turn; apparently practiced putting on the chipping green. The course appeal is the location. The elevation change, overlooks, and contours make this place a must experience. It can be quite tight at locations so you really need to be able to control your ball. The places you can't miss are drastic for sure.

The course was beautiful and built for your camera. Very playable and score-able for above average golfers; could be frustrating for some and make sure to choose the appropriate tee boxes. I loved it, would love to play again, although I don't believe the course itself is worth the $220 price tag. It just doesn't have the perfect grass that price demands, close, but not quite.

"Autumn golf at it's best"

BrandonWebb's avatar
Birmingham Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2016

I had long targeted this course as one I wanted to check off my list, but I had no idea what a phenomenal course this is. First, undoubtedly the Highland Course at Primland would be a great round any time of year. There are two reasons, however, that I recommend this as a fall play: 1) The color of the foliage in November was absolutely stunning. Some of the most fantastic pictures I've ever taken on a golf course occurred today. 2) the rate drops beginning in November, making it an excellent value at $125. I have played many of the courses that occupy spots at the top of the "Top 100 lists," but I have no reservation saying this is in my top 10 personally. Seemingly every hole has a vista that at times makes concentrating on actually playing golf difficult. The course rests on the ridge of a mountain. Once you pass through the entrance gate to Primland it is 6 miles along the ridge line to the lodge and course. I thought the shot value of the course was phenomenal, from the par-5 1st hole - an excellent opening hole - to the par-3 8th. Exhilarating. Fairways were generous. Greens are very large, but not overly undulating. Never saw another player the entire day, despite mid-50s temperatures.

"Beautiful day at Primland"

Don2582725's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/14/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

High end experience had been wanting to do for some time. Got lucky as a friend got 125$/player package and offered us 4 slots. Not sure i would have paid 250$ to play.

Reception on arrival was fast and excellent. Staff very friendly. Practice facilities were first rate.

The course was beautiful. Many tough holes and you need to be accurate. If you are off the fairways forget the ball and tee up a new one. As a 18 handicap and at 72 the blue tees were all we could handle at 6000 yards.

Would love the chance to play it again .

The greens were super fast and we all had a difficult time reading the greens and the breaks.

"Amazing"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/27/2015

Plenty of room considering the course is built on the side of the mountain . Course was wide open and did not have to wait on a single hole . Will be coming back soon .

"Amazing Course"

blamertroy's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2014
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Primland is a phenomenal place. Everything from the service at the valet, to the service from the golf staff is top notch. They make everyone feel like a VIP guest.

The course is unreal. Be sure to hit the fairway though because there isn't much room between lush fairway and knee high grass.

Only downside, and it's not really a downside, is that you are so caught up in your surroundings that you don't realize how slow you're playing until you finish. We had 3 players, all of whom are under 10 handicap, and it took us almost 5 hours.

No question, this is one of the best courses I've ever played.

"Simply amazing!"

clp34vmp's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/05/2014

I played here for the first time a few days ago. All I can say is I was in awe of the place. The conditioning, the variety of the course, the unbelievable views throughout the round - I just can't say enough good things about Primland. I've played other premier resort courses in recent years like Spyglass, the Ocean Course at Kiawah, and Harbour Town, and I would certainly say this holds its own with that group. Donald Steele really deserves a great deal of praise for creating this beautiful course. Primland is hard to get to, there's no doubt about that, but it was well worth the trip in my opinion.