Canterbury Woods Country Club

• 15 W Rd, Canterbury, New Hampshire 03224, Merrimack County
  • www.canterburywoodscc.com

Year built: 2003
Architect(s): Ross Forbes (2003)
Type: Public

Pitching/chipping area: No
Putting green: No
Practice bunker: No
Practice hole: No

Walking allowed: Yes, except on weekends
Singles allowed: No
Dress code: Proper attire is required.

Tees | Layout

Average Rating 4.4 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive   Great for wildlife/ scenic views advanced golfers locals   Challenges include elevation changes forced carries undulating greens   Great for 19th hole scenic views drinks patio dining

"Fun course to play!"

Jeffrey3244465's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/20/2017

This is a fun and challenging course. Conditions for early season were really good! Had a lot of fun getting the first round of the year under my belt. You can't beat the hot deal value at this course!

Response from Canterbury Woods Country Club on 04/24/2017:

Hi Jeffrey, we're happy you enjoyed playing our fun and challenging course. Thank you for playing Canterbury Woods Country Club!

"Awesome time"

JamesB21's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/13/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather

This course has always been a favorite of mine. It's a must play if you are anywhere even close. Lot's of elevation change, great views, perfect greens. I got out late afternoon and was able to finish 18 in 3 hours, with a couple friendly people allowing me to pass as a single in a cart. Can't wait to come back when the trees are full and the course is in peak condition

Response from Canterbury Woods Country Club on 04/17/2017:

Hello James, thank you for the great review! We're happy you enjoyed our layout, great views, and perfect greens. Thanks for playing Canterbury Woods Country Club!

"Nice course,friendly staff"

Craig2955084's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/12/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

Course played well for early spring conditions. Fairways and greens in great shape for time of year. The weather was cool and windy and course played tough to those conditions. Had to use whatever skills you have to get around and score well.

Response from Canterbury Woods Country Club on 04/20/2017:

Hi Craig, we're pleased to hear you enjoyed our great course conditions and challenging layout. Thank you for playing Canterbury Woods Country Club!

"Well worth the money"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/08/2016

The pace of play was excellent. I played 18 holes with my father at about 3:00 pm on a Saturday and the whole round took about 3 hours. The course has really unique challenges being on the side of a mountain that are a lot of fun. The only criticism would be that the fairways and rough appear to have suffered from the drought. The course has done what they can but you can't control Mother Nature. Did not get to have a beer in the clubhouse because a wedding was going on.

Commented on 10/12/2016

Thank you for your review and feedback on your experience! We hope you enjoyed the challenges!

"Great value, wonderful course"

adturnbull's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/05/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I'm no stranger to this course. Have played it many times, was a member about a decade ago. Played it this time on a quintessentially perfect New England autumn day. Sunny, warm enough for shorts and long sleeves, crisp blue sky, leaves starting to change but not on the ground yet (so, no balls lost in piles of leaves!). Just a beautiful day all-around.

Course was mostly terrific. Greens, tee boxes, fairways, rough. Very, very good. The layout is a bit challenging, of course depending on the tee box you play. Local knowledge (or a SkyCaddie) helps, because of some target golf required (e.g. #2, #16), and some par-4s where driver will hurt you (e.g. #1, #5).

Again depending on your tee box, you'll have the opportunity to play most of the clubs in your bag.

Greens are pretty quick. But apparently most people who have played this course recently have NO concept of repairing pitch marks on the greens. I repaired at least 6 on EVERY green, and could've fixed even more if I had the time.

We had many choices yesterday, and we chose Canterbury Woods. We were not disappointed. You won't be, either...so long as you heed what I wrote above!

Commented on 10/09/2016

Hi adturnbull,

Thank you for your review. While the season is quickly coming to an end, we'd love to have you back (and would love to have you as a member again!)

Great pictures!

Best regards,

Canterbury Woods Management

"Canterbury Woods a New Hampshire gem"

john3455724's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/19/2016

I've played the course about 5 times over 10 years. Always a challenge and fun from black tees. It's not overly long but some holes plays longer than yardage. Par 3's are great all different type holes from 150 to 230 yards. It's been a dry season so the course has patchy fairways and rough. Greens where recently aerated but the small holes didn't affect putts that bad. Canterbury woods is a great layout and somewhat of a mountain course. I got a great deal on Golfnow $20 w/cart basically 1/2 price. I will play here again and again ever time driving north on 93.

Commented on 10/09/2016

Glad to hear you got a great deal John! Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again before the season is over!

"Aeration taking place"

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/06/2016

Fairways not in good shape all. Had to play back nine twice due to aeration.

"Ignore all the good reviews"

jmshack's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/25/2016

My wife and I paid $100 to play here in August of 2016. The greens and tee boxes were overplayed but typical of a public course but the fairways were a joke. The fairways are burned out with 40% dead grass but the real problem is pace of play. We had as many as 4 groups on some holes. The have no course ranger and no starter. There is no food cart. There appeared to be only two employees on the entire property. The guy in the pro shop and one maintenance guy.

It's a joke and I don't know where these cousins are who have provided all the great reviews. The group in front of us as well as the group two behind us all walked off the course. How did we come to know them? We would all like up on the tees.

We played Lochmere a few days before for less money and it was a substantially better experience. Play here if you want but good luck.

Commented on 10/06/2016

I think it bears mentioning that this entire region has suffered from a drought for several months. That is likely the reason for the poor course conditions you experienced in August. I played the course on October 5th and the conditions were impeccable.

As for rangering, sadly, that is something most Northeast courses fail to do well. This course can play tough, especially for higher-handicappers, and so rangering here is especially needed. CW would be well-advised to invest in rangers, IMO.

"Nice track"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/24/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

A little burnt out in the fairways because of the lack of rain. Pretty course with great views.

"Not 41/2 star course , maybe a 4 star"

Kbdurant's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/06/2016

A little too tricked up with elevation , not as much level lies as I would prefer for a better flow

Commented on 10/06/2016

It's not so much "tricked up" with elevation, it's more a function of the topography the course designer had to work with.

I advise folks to have a SkyCaddie or GPS app that shows the layout, etc., or to buy the Yardage Book in the Pro Shop. It's not an easy layout, but it's fair. IMO.

"Pace of play only problem"

John6892230's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/30/2016

Course is in great shape.

Waited on just about every shot. Lots of blind shots, so we in turn were being bombarded from the big hitters behind us, a couple came dangerously close. Not a marshall to be seen all day.

It is a great course...but a couple of slow groups that a Marshall could have moved along, made for a long afternoon.

"Best Course in The Area"

LSWaples54's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/28/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Totally enjoyed the round and found the course to be close to private club conditions. Played the Blue Tees, had one foursome ahead of us that slowed us down alot on the back nine. Greens were fast and the rest of the course was in good condition. Alot of elevation changes so you had to think about what you were doing. Finishing hole was a challenging hole leaving a good last impression. I will definitely play here more often.

"Nice course conditions"

sr273648's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/13/2016

The course was in beautiful condition despite the lack of rain the past few weeks. However, the greens are lightning quick right now so bring your "A Game" wirh the putter.

I always enjoy playing Canterbury Woods and it is especially enjoyable when you find a great rate with GolfNow!

"Play the Blue Tees"

Brian1110753's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/06/2016

Course was in good condition despite a long stretch of dry weather. Like the layout and changes in elevation. I played the black tees or tips and I am a 5 handicap. Blue tees would have been more enjoyable and still challenging enough. My recommendation is to play the blue tees unless you are a regular and know all the places to hit. Generous fairways, numerous elevation changes sometimes accounting for two club difference or more, large greens that putted pretty true. Nice scenery with mountains in distance, farms, woods, etc.

"Nice track"

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/02/2016

Beautiful views. Up and down holes. Challenging.

"Greens Great but thats it!"

Craig5837084's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2016

The greens were in fabulous condition. The tee boxes and fairways were more like pasture golf. Not well maintained at all. Lots clumps in fairways and tees....dead sections no grass. Pace of play was excellent.....finished in 3 hrs 48 min. Lots of reviewers had this place @ 4.5 stars. it is not that for sure.... give it 3 stars.

"Are you slipping CWCC?"

TomTomtheGolfer's avatar
New Hampshire Advisor

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/26/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 9 holes Good weather

Please please see my prior review- I do love this course but today was a different story.

1) They ran out of carts and we needed to wait for one (and clean it our selves). It appears that 12 carts are broken.

2) The starter: He was not a very good representation for the club- not very customer friendly. Maybe he was having a bad day.

3) Your starter ( the same one from above #2) was not sending groups off at appropriate tee times- the result a very crowded and back up course.

4) Please see the picture of the cup on the 14th hole. I called the pro shop 7 times at 5pm on Sunday no answer! Hmmm everyone go home? Many someone could of come out and fix it?

Are you guys slipping????

Commented on 10/06/2016

I agree that CW needs two things: a competent starter and visible and proactive rangers.

Pace-of-play and too many golfers not knowing (or caring?) about proper golf etiquette are plaguing golf, and have been for a while. Good rangering would go a LONG way toward alleviating both symptoms.

Unfortunately, most Northeast golf courses fail in this regard, and it costs them at least one star in ratings. IMO.

"Great place"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/25/2016

Canterbury Woods is always a great place to play. Fast greens, nice layout, and friendly people.

"Good course"

jakeleo1's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/18/2016

Very nicely course layout, the greens are in great condition, fairway is in good condition. Pace of play was a little slow on the weekend, but that's to be ecpected

"Don't play during club event"

joenpolly's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/17/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

This is a great course normally friendly and well managed. Check to see if they are having a member event during your time of play. 1st nine no problems, arrived to the tenth group of four in the fairway, group of four on the tee box waiting , so our group had all of a sudden quite the wait 5 holes later we were told to pick up the pace of play! We advised that when we arrived at the tee box we had to wait for the group in front of us. Since it was a member outing a member of management supervised our play for 2 holes then realized it was not the Golf Now groups fault. I will play there again but never if they are going to have a member outing!