Whiskey Creek Golf Club

• 4804 Whiskey Ct , Ijamsville, MD 21754-9522
  • 1 (888) 883-1174, (301) 694-2900
  • www.whiskeycreekgolf.com

Year built: 2000
Architect(s): Mike Poellot (2000), Ernie Els (2000)
Type: Public
Golf Season: April 4 - June 3

Carts: Yes - included in green fee
GPS: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attired required.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Tees

Average Rating 4.6 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens bunkers   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"GOOD COURSE AND STAFF"

BIGGUY71's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2016

Course was in good shape with many beautiful views. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Close to Interstate 270

"Ugh"

jefenoche's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

It pains me to give this course less than 5 stars. It's long been my favorite course in MD. However, even though it's not atrocious, I've never seen this course in worse shape (in years past it's been pristine).

Even though the greens were long ago aerated (with small holes), 4-5 of the greens seem to have been aerated again (with large holes) and heavily sanded. Maybe they were close to losing them?

There were some bare spots in the fairways and lots in the rough around the greens. Also the ground just off the greens was rock hard so several SLIGHTY off line shots rocketed into less that favorable positions...lol.

There was also a couple of VERY questionable pin spots...on VERY severe slopes (#10 and # 12).

I know it's been a rough year weather wise but there are a couple of courses nearby that are in better shape right now and I've never been able to say that.

Here's hoping 2017 is a better year for this course!

"Beautiful course and layout"

poper15124's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played Whiskey Creek as part of a weekend buddy trip. I've heard many positive comments about the course and was not disappointed. I have played all over the east coast and this is in my Top 10 as far as course beauty and layout. There was much more elevation change than I expected. We can't wait to return.

"Beautiful day for a beautiful course"

Lpm7237's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

In spite of 3 straight days of rain the course was in excellent shape. The greens were great and rolled perfectly. Fairways were being trimmed and rough was thick. It is a really beautiful track. Cant wait to get back at it.

"Excellent Course!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2016

Played this hold for the second time and WOW....this course was in great condition for the lacknof rain and extreme hot condition. Highly recommend to play this course!!

"Best in Maryland"

mravalico's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I have played Whiskey numerous times. It has earned my vote as the best public course in Maryland. Always a good round. The conditions are best in the Fall, the course is in pristine shape and the views are excellent!

I did hear they may be shortening the time between groups to get more rounds out and I really hope they don't do that! I've never had problems with pace of play, but if that became an issue, it might keep me away. It's already a little bit of a drive, can't afford 5.5 hour rounds.

"Great layout but marginal condition"

Rjnappi's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2016

I have played Whiskey Creek many times and have always been a fan of the layout and design. But the last time we played I was surprised at the condition of the Bunkers and the Tee boxes. It clearly was lacking attention that hopefully will be addressed in the near future.

"Nice course and touch expensive"

JoeBDA's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2016

Course was in ok shape and layout slightly above average. Though the price to play wasa but high compared to other courses played in MD.

Would play again if on a last minute discount

"Outstanding Track !!!!"

stritz47's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/26/2016

This course is outstanding, you won't be disappointed

"Hottest day of the year"

brewcrew61's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/25/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

It was the hottest day of the year so far, but it did not deter our group from having a great time as usual at Whiskey Creek. This golf course offers it all when it comes to a course. Long carries, challenging par 3's, elevated shots. The course was in great shape and the greens were gorgeous. This course is worth the drive out on I-70 West from Baltimore, MD. If you have the opportunity to play this course, please do so.

"Beautiful course"

jkelley005's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 07/24/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

The course was in great condition. Wide lush fairways and large fast greens are part of the make up of this course. Set in the rolling hills outside of Frederick, Maryland each hole is separate and unique. At the top of the public courses I have played.

"DC Area Must Play Course"

johnhaskell's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 06/13/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Easy to get to venue on a hillside south of Frederick MD. Excellent course conditions. Beautiful scenic vistas from the high points.

"Great track, twilight is the way to go for value!"

johnpawlwiley's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/27/2016

Greens were crazy fast as expected. The overall condition of the course was excellent and the value for a twilight round ($55) is excellent. Pace of play was also fantastic. Dinner in the clubhouse can't be beat...

Can't wait to get back out to whiiiiiiskey again!

"Home of the PGA UnProfessional"

gweiss98's avatar

1 1.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2016
Previously played Played 18 holes Average weather Verified Purchaser

It is unfortunate that a good course is ruined by unprofessional staff, but that is obviously the case at Whiskey Creek. I have played here several times in the past, and I return on occasion because it is a nice course (albeit quite overpriced if you don't catch it on a special deal or a hot tee time). However, on my most recent trip, I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with their head PGA Professional on what should have been a simple issue. The details of the encounter are not terribly important, but suffice to say they could have easily been dealt with without the need to berate customers in the middle of the Pro Shop. I have been fortunate enough to play golf all over the world,, and I have never encountered a more belligerent and ignorant PGA Professional. Save yourself the trip, as there is a multitude of high quality courses nearby that will be glad to earn your business.

Commented on 05/27/2016

Following my amazing experience with the professional golf staff at Whiskey Creek two weeks ago, I tried to reach out to the General Manager to see if he had anything to say for his rude employees. As of today, I have yet to get as much as an email in response from him. I believe his silence tells me all I need to know about the level of concern that they have for their customer's experiences at their facility.

"Whiskey Creek Review"

deyholla's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Really enjoyed my round at Whiskey Creek. The course was very challenging and punishing but having the in cart GPS made it manageable. The course was mainly links style but had a few holes that went back in to the woods. The course used the elevation to its advantage and had a few amazing elevation changes. If I am ever in the area again, I will absolutely play here.

"Winter golf"

Kilinko's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/16/2016

Always love the layout. Saturday 10am 40° and Range was closed. Couldn't get an answer if range was closed for winter. Eight items on the menu. January golf

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great Escape with some History"

Nclaxx18's avatar
DC Advisor

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/31/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Fair weather

I have been wanting to play this course for the past 4 years, finally I got the chance to do so last week. It wasn't ideal that it was late December but the weather was not that bad. The course is an open layout with multiple angle shots to the greens, where the difficulty comes in is the elevation changes and the sand and water hazards. I started the first 5 holes being 1 under par and then the course showed me whose boss. The fairways were a little damp due to the rain before and the day was cart path only. However the greens and tee boxes were in great conditions. Even though I mentioned the course was fairly open your tee shots need to be on because the only safe shots into the green is the fairway. If you are in the rough you will be on a slant or shooting through an obstacle and since I know this you can tell where my ball was most of the day.
This was an amazing experience and one I will make sure to again take on a more sunny and 70s kinda day. The history part I mentioned is that for me growing up I love to play Monopoly and my favorite were the railroads, well B & O Railroad runs right next to the course.

Quality of food & beverage: Excellent

"Well worth the trip."

pappynmimi's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 12/07/2015
First time playing Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Traveled from Pennsylvania to play due to recommendation. Got a great price through GolfNow.Com. Enjoyed our round very much due to course conditions, scenery, and weather. Somewhat
difficult due to "up/down hill" hole layouts but still very satisfied with the experience. Will look for future specials as it is pricey.

"This course is quite pretty.."

Yangjoh's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/11/2015
First time playing Played as a single Used cart Played 18 holes Good weather Verified Purchaser

Staffs were very friendly and nice.
Good management of course.
However green fee is somewhat expensive to play, I don't think that much good to receive such a high fee..

Quality of food & beverage: Average

"Great course but not in great condition (this time)"

Bjorn7660584's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/07/2015
Previously played Played with a group Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

I've played Whiskey Creek a number of times before and have always been very pleased, but this time the course conditions and general experience did not match the standards they have set themselves..
Some of the issues:
* Many of the bunkers were unplayable. It rained a lot last week, but they should be playable by now.
* There was a lot of divots that had not been fixed. Many of them were clearly many days old.
* Many ball marks on greens that had not been repaired
* Three fairways were cart-path only due to aerification of the fairways. They did not clean the big pellets of the fairways until late in the day, so they were basically unplayable.

And finally to complain about the group ahead of us. They were extremely slow (5:15 hour round) and were throwing cigarette and cigar stubs all over the place, especially around greens and tees. Twice I had to brush cigar ash away from my putting line. I know it's difficult for the course staff to handle the smoking, but there were no rangers visible to make them speed up play.

I know this is a negative review of a basically great course, but this day they did not live up to the expectations I have of this course.