Whiskey Creek Golf Club

4.5319000000 4.5 stars from 5 (141)

Carts: Yes - included in green fee
GPS: Yes

Dress code: Proper golf attire required.
Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover

Average Rating 4.5 stars from 5

Location is worth the drive in the 'burbs   Great for advanced golfers wildlife/ scenic views a weekend splurge   Challenges include elevation changes undulating greens bunkers   Great for drinks 19th hole scenic views patio dining

"Outstanding!"

Jeffrey4945412's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/31/2017

Love this course! Can't recommend it enough. Well managed, challenging, pristine.

"Good, as always"

singhra's avatar

4 4.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/20/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

We played as a foursome, teed off at ~4:20pm on a Saturday, and finished in ~4 hours. Not a lot of traffic, so we got around pretty well. Breezy day, some holes exposed to the wind, quite a few holes are protected by trees.

Course in good condition. Rough was mowed to a good height to be penal, but did not make it difficult to find balls.

Several uphill holes present challenges.

"Worth the price!"

Shannon8757700's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/17/2017

Excellent day of golf! Staff was courteous and friendly, welcomed us and that led us for coming to play. Met in the parking lot as we parked with a cart for us and our clubs. Tee boxes were in great shape and had multiple boxes for your type of play. Course is well marked, didn't get lost, cart paths in great shape. Fairways were generous, allowing for a stray tee shot or two. Fairways in great shape, most divots in fairways were repaired by previous golfers. Greens were fast and in great shape, again very few divots marks, the course is respected. White sand in the bunkers, alot of bunkers. Different types of terrain made it beautiful and interesting. Cart GPS was accurate and helpful. Drink cart came by 4 times during round. Had lunch after round and the food and service was great. They even have home brewed whiskey. I highly recommend.

"It's been a while"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/08/2017

I haven't played Whiskey Creek in a few years. Having just retired, I had a chance to play it during the week. It was a very enjoyable experience. Course was in great shape and staff was helpful and friendly. I'll definitely be back!

"Beautiful day on the course"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 05/02/2017

As always an excellent day at Whiskey Creek - great course at a fair price

"Finally! A course that makes sense for average Golfer!"

Paul8322655's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/17/2017
First time playing Used cart Wet weather Verified Purchaser

Tired of being brutalized by spring weather and tough course conditions, my weekly foursome took a week off and we returned from a break to this jewel !

Although about double the cost of our usual round, we all agreed, this place was worth it.

1. Played on a Monday at 12:15pm, the place was very quiet. Only saw five other foursomes all day. Pro encouraged us to hit some balls at the range (Included) regardless of our tee time.

2. The staff was super friendly, without being pushy. This had us staying for lunch, trying a demo club and taking the time to learn the GPS enabled golf carts.

3. The course is still waking up from winter, but was in good shape. This Ernie Els designed course feels like it has 10 signature holes! Great vista's without being super hard! In fact the white tee's played "short", the fairways are very wide off your drive and the undulations & sand traps have meaning (instead of just wearing down my ankles)

Just about my only complaint here is the distance between some greens and the cart path, but even this is rewarded with "bowls" around greens that seemed to move errant approach shots towards the flag.

Bottom Line: Although we lucked out with clearing conditions, very few players on the course and some long putts that found their mark, Whiskey Creek was the perfect spot to rekindle enthusiasm for the game. After playing so many courses in our area that seem intent on torturing the intermediate golfer, this place just embraced us... It is more expensive, but would gladly spend double playing here (even if we played just 1/2 as often). I never gave it much thought but, in this case, the course designer has actually created "value".

For older players, nothing ruins a round like a lay up hole, where you are forced to lay up with second or third shot, then still have an impossibly long approach shot over some hazard. This course had two such holes, but after laying up, you were left with approach shots that were just 110-140 yards. giving you a shot a long par putt where elsewhere you would be guaranteed double bogie.

Whiskey Creek wont save the game of golf in America, but they are trying.

"Too Many Uphill Holes"

blamertroy's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/09/2017

Golf course was in decent shape. The greens had been punched about a week or so before and they were terribly bumpy and very unreliable. The rest of the course was alright though wet in some spots.

What really turned me off was the layout. There were two really good holes. The par 3 11th is a great par 3 and the par5 18th (with the exception of the building ruins in the middle of the fairway) is a really solid risk/reward par 5, especially as a finishing hole. However, I counted 13(!!) holes that either take an uphill shot into the green or you can't see the surface of the green. Not to mention a couple of the holes are almost identical in the way they play (3 & 17). For an $80 golf course, I expect a lot more out of the course design and layout.

Also, the staff was less than friendly. The cart person brought our bags to the cart and then set them on the ground behind the cart without strapping them in. It says a lot when the Starter is the nicest staff member you encounter all day.

Commented on 05/23/2017

Fact is, it's not a good golf course? Wow, I can wrap my head around liking other courses better, but not a good layout? I just don't get that. I also do get comparing #2 to #17. I'm not sure what tees you are playing. I see that you are a good player, as am I. I play the tips. and #2 is typically a driver and a wedge to a green layed out lengthwise. #17 is a much tighter and tougher tee shot and is a driver 7-9 iron depending on where the pin is on the extremely deep two tiered green. The bunkering, greenside and fairway is completely different on both holes.

Commented on 05/22/2017

I meant #2 & #17. I'm sorry you were so offended by my being a hole off.

Fact is, it's not a very good golf course. End of story.

Commented on 05/20/2017

You are free to not like a course but have some legitimate reasons for not liking it.

For one, #3 and #17 are entirely different holes. One is a par three while the other is a par four. The greens on those holes are entirely different. I don't know how anyone in their right minds could think those two holes play the same.

Bottom line is your assessment on the course it self is inaccurate at best.

polewis's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 04/03/2017
Previously played Used cart Windy weather Verified Purchaser

this is an excellent course located in a mountain setting. many elevation changes make this both challenging and picturesque. the course is somewhat pricey in season as well as located in a remote area, but well worth the travel and cost.

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/20/2017

Upon arriving to course we were told it would be cart path only. This is a very hilly course making it very difficult to walk. Still scratching my head on why it was cart path only!! Fairways were in perfect condition for this time of year...90 degree rule should have been applied 100 percent! Also, greens need a lot of work.

"Favorite course"

MIke4990394's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/11/2017

This is my favorite course in the area. Even in February the course was in pretty good shape. Great views.

"Happy to be out in Feb 2017"

lydellJB's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 02/01/2017
First time playing Used cart Windy weather

Golf in Feb in much of Maryland isn't a given, and if you are playing as I have all Dec, Jan and now Feb, you have to tailor your expectations to the season. So, the conditions were not perfect, the traps aren't being raked, there are NO rakes that I could see, and the greens are a little sandy. They aren't rolled out either.

All that stated, I loved the course. At the Balto County public courses, they are in better condition currently, cudos for them. They cost a bit less. But, the layout and challenge at Whiskey Creek is excellent. Each hole is different enough to keep you interested. I don't understand how each course manages their resources, but I was happy to play WC at this time of the year, and will try to play it again and again at these reduced rates from the in-season rates to get to know the course. I know it's not perfect, they know it also. But it's real golf. The weather isn't close to being perfect, but it was dry, and I'll take sand on the greens over snow. It's a great time to work on your game if that's what you need.

When we get into the real golf season, I'll look forward to better conditions (that will come with much higher green fees).

As noted, the staff was excellent, and the club house is a handsome setup. Beautiful views all around, it was a great, lightly traveled day of other golfers. I'll be back.

"Avoid Until Spring"

Aces2x's avatar

2 2.0 stars from 5 Played on 01/21/2017

Playing late January, really can't expect too much. But even at the exceptionally reduced rate of $59, Whiskey Creek did not deliver. The course was busy, but no sign of a marshal and we waited nearly every hole for a painstakingly slow foursome that had zero sense of urgency and no clue on how to keep pace. My low review is due only in part to slow pace of play. Course conditions are terrible. Greens are poorly top dressed with heavy patches of sand. Bunkers are undergoing maintenance, again to be expected in January, but no rakes to be found and no indication or communication on whether or not the bunkers are ground under repair. In addition, the driving range is closed for the winter. Mind you, this course is typically matts only. Very rarely is hitting off grass permitted. The explanation given was the winter destroys the matts. A poor excuse from a course that charges $110 in season. I've been playing this course since it opened, and my frequency of play goes down every year because the value just isn't there. Avoid Whiskey Creek for now, wait until it's in better shape, then try to find a discounted rate and play on a week day. Less likely to be disappointed if you take this advice.

"GOOD COURSE AND STAFF"

BIGGUY71's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/08/2016

Course was in good shape with many beautiful views. Staff was very courteous and helpful. Close to Interstate 270

"Ugh"

jefenoche's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 11/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

It pains me to give this course less than 5 stars. It's long been my favorite course in MD. However, even though it's not atrocious, I've never seen this course in worse shape (in years past it's been pristine).

Even though the greens were long ago aerated (with small holes), 4-5 of the greens seem to have been aerated again (with large holes) and heavily sanded. Maybe they were close to losing them?

There were some bare spots in the fairways and lots in the rough around the greens. Also the ground just off the greens was rock hard so several SLIGHTY off line shots rocketed into less that favorable positions...lol.

There was also a couple of VERY questionable pin spots...on VERY severe slopes (#10 and # 12).

I know it's been a rough year weather wise but there are a couple of courses nearby that are in better shape right now and I've never been able to say that.

Here's hoping 2017 is a better year for this course!

"Beautiful course and layout"

poper15124's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/29/2016
First time playing Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

Played Whiskey Creek as part of a weekend buddy trip. I've heard many positive comments about the course and was not disappointed. I have played all over the east coast and this is in my Top 10 as far as course beauty and layout. There was much more elevation change than I expected. We can't wait to return.

"Beautiful day for a beautiful course"

Lpm7237's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 10/03/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather Verified Purchaser

In spite of 3 straight days of rain the course was in excellent shape. The greens were great and rolled perfectly. Fairways were being trimmed and rough was thick. It is a really beautiful track. Cant wait to get back at it.

"Excellent Course!!"

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/17/2016

Played this hold for the second time and WOW....this course was in great condition for the lacknof rain and extreme hot condition. Highly recommend to play this course!!

"Best in Maryland"

mravalico's avatar

5 5.0 stars from 5 Played on 09/02/2016
Previously played Used cart Played 18 holes Excellent weather

I have played Whiskey numerous times. It has earned my vote as the best public course in Maryland. Always a good round. The conditions are best in the Fall, the course is in pristine shape and the views are excellent!

I did hear they may be shortening the time between groups to get more rounds out and I really hope they don't do that! I've never had problems with pace of play, but if that became an issue, it might keep me away. It's already a little bit of a drive, can't afford 5.5 hour rounds.

"Great layout but marginal condition"

Rjnappi's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/22/2016

I have played Whiskey Creek many times and have always been a fan of the layout and design. But the last time we played I was surprised at the condition of the Bunkers and the Tee boxes. It clearly was lacking attention that hopefully will be addressed in the near future.

"Nice course and touch expensive"

JoeBDA's avatar

3 3.0 stars from 5 Played on 08/21/2016

Course was in ok shape and layout slightly above average. Though the price to play wasa but high compared to other courses played in MD.

Would play again if on a last minute discount